Why is modern anime so awful compared to old anime?

Why is modern anime so awful compared to old anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

someanithing.com/312
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

About 10 years ago, people decided that they'd rather watch shit anime than no anime. Studios realized this and just started pumping out whatever bullshit floated in, and weebs and losers around the globe ate it up.

ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Because you don't actually know how to properly compare them.

Haha epic thread.

On it's original run on TV Tokyo, Cowboy Bebop was canceled after airing only 6 episodes.

Even during development Bandai pulled out because they realized it would have no merchandising potential and no toys to sell. It was a very high risk to produce this series.

It's success came later, especially in the west where it went on to become a cult hit.

The problem for studios is that they need to see returns on investment in 12 months, not in 5 years or more. When given the chance to produce an anime obased on a mobile phone game or the chance to produce "the next bebop", they are goign with the sure thing: the phone game. Wheelbarrels full of money arrive and it becomes a risk-free project regardless if it sells 300 or 3000 DVDs.

Anime is made to sell a product, be it light novels or lewd figures. Studios have finite time and money to work with and this is what keeps away the truly original series.

why there's no anime series made with the same quality as bebop since them, save from Kyaoni, the anime looks like a goddam movie

your response is wasted on bait m8, better to not even bother

bebop wasn't the manga adaptation so it wasn't constrained by artificial pacing for the sake of staying true to the material

yoko kanno was given artistic freedom and thanks to her collaboration with many talented musicians

a blend of eastern and western influences turned out to be appealing to both

tone and themes were meaningful without overt seriousness

it was a product of its time and can't quite be reproduced today or ever, which is not a good or bad thing - there are many fantastic releases post-98 but their success lies in different strengths

Sunrise infinite money hack.

Moeshit

What's a good space anime like Bebop and Dandy that isn't about cosmonauts like Planetes or Space Fleet/Robot wars like Gundam?

Crest of the Stars

Galaxy Express 999

Anime did get worse nobody can deny that.

That's subjective.
But the market has always been saturated, and it always will be.

Mouretsu Pirates. There is very little combat and it mostly involves ECM and electronic warfare.

Despite the moe feel to it, it is a proper space sci-fi series.

I hate to tell you this, but his response is also bait. Bebop's original run was canceled because it was on a censored channel. They quickly moved it to an uncensored channel, rebroadcast the whole thing, and it became the best-selling TV anime of the year in Japan, and one of the ten best-selling ever up to that point.

Because you're bating me and I'm still going to fall for it.

A good 75% of anime is shit, 15% is good, and 10% is pretty good. Doesn't matter what decade you're talking about. I've watched more shitty shows from the 90's than I have from the 00's

That's actually very easy to deny.

Mecha is pretty much dead. Ergo, you're wrong.

TV Tokyo really did cancel it in the spring of 1998 due to low ratings.

It sat for half a year before being rebroadcast that fall by WOWOW. It wasn't until the year 2000 that it won the Seiun Award and it reached it's high sales for the VHS/DVD market.

More than 12 months to turn a profit was not "trolling". It really did have a shaky start and only part of that was due to censorship issues.

No there's truth to it, if something has no marketability it usually gets little funding or seen not as a success.

A different example is Blade Runner, at the time bombed like fuck but years later become one of the most important sci-fi films ever made.

Problem is as far as anime goes they aren't making it to tell a good story as much as "I want to tell an "x" story" and then mash it full of tropes.

>It wasn't until the year 2000 that it won the Seiun Award
user, it won the Seiun Award in 2000 because the Seiun Awards are for the previous year and go by publication date, not airing date. The 2000 Seiun Award was literally the only year Bebop was eligible for.

Were you actually alive during whatever frame your "golden age" was?

I should point bebop did ok. 16,800 copies sold in 1999-2000. That is on par with series like Patlabor which is decent for the era, and that was enough to green light the movie.

Subsequent re-releases have moved it into the top 10 sales list.

It was canceled due to low ratings, yes, but it was butchered in that airing, which is presumably why it had low ratings. It did very well on WOWOW in unbutchered form, and as said, there was no delay in it receiving the Seiun Award, that's just how the award functions by design.
The production is a different matter (it did almost not get made because the Bandai division originally sponsoring it decided it wasn't marketable), but the actual reception once it was aired without tons of cuts was very good both critically and commercially.

While I can understand how this question as stated could be considered trollbait, I feel like the general idea of the question is potentially interesting to ask. Is the average quality of current anime significantly worse than the quality of what was produced ten years ago?

I've been watching each season of anime as it's appeared since around 2003, when I first noticed its availability via bittorrent. In general I'm a fan of space opera (e.g. Cowboy Bebop) or hard science fiction in general (e.g. Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex), but I'll watch almost any series if I'm struck by some odd element in it (don't ask me what the hell I saw in "Flying Witch" this last season; the fact that I loved that show makes me wonder if I have a brain tumor).

My impression is that we may be getting a great deal more mindless repetition of certain elements in anime, but there is still the occasional series perhaps once a year that's remarkable enough to catch my imagination.

For instance, over the last four seasons the one that sticks in my mind is "One-Punch Man," which I had originally rejected after watching a single episode. Granted, there's nothing novel about superhero satire or a one-joke premise, but I found this show to be far more fun than anything else I'd seen for a while. (If you hated this thing, I'm certainly sympathetic to your opinion. I'd appreciate counter-recommendations for the last year, to catch any gems I missed.)

Aside from that, we had the same old high school series, mecha series, medieval fantasy series, sports series, sequel series, etc. Maybe the big difference is that more anime series are being made now than ten years ago, after a peak maybe five years ago (?). So in a sense, the one remarkable series a year is
being diluted by a lot more filler. Filtering just takes more time and effort.

Because everything is yurishit these days.

No, user, 16,800 for the era is not okay. That is incredible. 16800, as I said earlier, makes it to the top ten up to that point.
someanithing.com/312
Sort by first release only, and you'll see it that Bebop, with 16800 copies sold in its initial release, is the best-selling TV anime of 1998 by far, the fifth best-selling of the 90s, and the ninth best-selling pre-2000.

we just need more original works
ligh novel adaptations are fucking cancer.

I share that problem too, afetr a decade I finally watched Death Note and as flawed as it is it's at least ambitious with only the Wammy's house children being ridiculously designed.

Nice use of music, cinematic angles, watching that while watching Kabeneri was painful.

Because there are more people with shit taste watching anime now.

Jesus Christ, do you people even watch anime? Seriously, One Punch Man wasn't even the best of its season - shit like Fafner, Owarimonogatari, and ConRevo blew it out.

Nadesico Price of Darkenss was released in august 1998 and it won the 1999 Seiun Award.

Bebop began airing in April 1998 and it won the award in 2000. That time lag from being canceled and re-launched was the reason for that delay. The entire point was that it's mainstream success came late (past 12 months).

I just want more original works than asterisk wars n#122343625774520609230495234

Yes, because the awards go by publication date.

And you keep harping on about the twelve months, but I guarantee you no one at Bandai was sitting there going "Wow, it took so long to get our money after we aired it," they were sitting there going "Wow, it took so long to get this actually aired after we fucked up the first time, but it sure got a lot of success once we aired it uncut."

Kill yourself newfag

There have literally not been more than four battle academy shits in any given season ever, as far as I know, and only like two seasons have had that many. The typical season in 2016 has 40-50 anime. If you honestly can't find shit to watch and blame it on battle harems, then you just aren't paying attention.

Enough time has passed that you have forgotten all the garbage that was around back then. The bad shit of the modern day is still fresh in your mind so it makes it look comparatively worse than the old stuff.

For a couple of reasons

Anime then focused on animation quality, good storytelling, interesting characters, they could be compared with live action movies and shows in terms of quality

But anime now is mostly focused on pandering to anti-social weaboos, who will eat up anything anime-related regardless of how shitty it is, as long as it has "cute girls" and "waifus"

Call me a normalfag redditor all you want but it's true

But the typical live-action movies and shows are far worse than the typical anime, so yes, iI am going to assume you're a Toonami-bred normalfag.

Also, everything is translated. Everything. The filters and time and licensing for 1999 would have kept a lot of stuff out of memory.

Yes, I do, Owarimonogatari is exactly the kind of dreck I can't stand, Fafner I never got around to.

I got into anime from things like cowboy bebop and the usual stuff that was on Adult Swim, or Lain, other Satoshi Abe things.

Compare what most of anime is now and there's less I enjoy, it's mostly fluff.

>But the typical live-action movies and shows are far worse than the typical anime
bold statement there
I doubt the average hollywood shit is worse than let me see this season....Masou Gakuen HxH?

No, there's a lot of garbage from then as well, you've just never seen them.

Maybe you should wait a few years before posting underagefag.

Every decade has good stuff and bad stuff in it, but since generally speaking only the good stuff is memorable, that's what comes to people's mind when they try to recall "old anime". On average recent anime may have had a drop in quality (especially due to the market interest in moeshit and similars), but it isn't nearly as significant as people seem to believe it is.

>Satoshi Abe
Too obvious, but at least it was funny. 4/8

You can find posts almost identical to this from like, 1989.

I haven't watched a live-action movie in years, but I'd take Masou Gakuen over the first Avengers, which I gather is the kind of thing that's still hip for Hollywood right now.

There are people who complained about the end of Gainax, and them falling to moe garbage. And this was in 1989 talking about Gunbuster.

then you have problems
when people talk about annoying weebs they're talking about people like you

There's always been bad anime, nobody can deny that
I blame otaku culture more than anything

>why aren't you keeping up with the thousands of capeshit releases per year? What's wrong with you?

No, they really aren't, considering I haven't mentioned anime/manga to anyone non-anonymously since high school. Hell, I'm probably not going to finish Masou Gakuen, either, just jack off to the girls, but that's more than I got out of Avengers.

Nostalgia goggle

There were shit anime that were also released around bebop's time. You should thank those big western channels to filter shit for you

Animation quality is better but writing quality is much worse. There's no emotional investment anymore. I can't remember the last time I actually cared about an anime character. Probably not since Madoka.

I know it shouldn't be too surprised, but I'm surprised someone likes fafner off /m/, Let alone ConRevo too. I don't even remember fucking fafner threads on Sup Forums other than that one guy who kept on posting about kanon being his waifu for ten years and how she turned into understanding near the end.

outlaw star

you said you haven't watched live action since 2012, there hasn't been only capeshit

cloud atlas
her
ex-machina
wolf of wall street
django
hateful eight
cloverfield lane
sicario
room
inherent vice
the lobster
mad max
birdman
interstellar
nightcrawler
whiplash
grand hotel budapest
edge of tomorrow
the world's end
and a hundred more
none of these are capeshit and you're not watching them because you're an annoying weeb
you're no different than people saying
>lol there's only moeshit nowadays
the irony is real.

A quick return on investment is big in anime. It was mentioned earlier that Japanese cartoons, like American cartoons, are typically glorified toy commercials.

The 12 month thing matters because they don't want to wait more than a year in the red on any given project. That looks like shit on quarterly reports and careers are ended for far lesser offenses. This is especially true when a corporation like Bandai is involved.

Nothing you listed is something I'd want to watch.

obviously.
You only want to watch anime, this is what I mean by when people say annoying weeb, they're talking about you.

AT LEAST watch TGBH.

Sweet, didn't know this had more added to it. Thanks.

uses awful anime as an example
>sage

go watch Your lie in April, fag.
i literally sobbed

Yeah, but again, the lack of immediate return on Bebop wasn't because of some natural market delay, it was because they made an obvious error in their strategy on that specific show, that they then corrected. There's no reason for anyone in marketing to look at that and think that it would happen in future shows, so it becomes irrelevant.

Maybe you should get better taste in anime rather than mindlessly consuming crap for the hell of it. baseless assumptions really speed along discussion.

Yeah, had a really retarded moment there, but my point stands, anime doesn't have what I liked about it anymore. Haibane Renmei did come among some real bullshit that year, but it had a lot of good stuff.

Azumanga, Chobits, FMP and SAC.

Why is OP such a faggot?

why did janny delete half of the thread?
we were having a civilized discussion here pardon me?

Because it was about Sup Forums material, obviously.

Because current anime basically churns out bundles of cliches and generic shit that's been done a million times before, while older anime was original and did all those cliches and such first. And also because older anime branched out to more audiences with more shows to match various and different demographics

>older anime was original and did all those cliches and such first
Yeah, monster-of-the-week mecha sure was fucking original.

>back in my day we [...]

Mecha was the only reason to watch anime.

This. Most English-speaking weebs in the 90s saw like five new things from any given year, and they didn't even necessarily see those until a year or two later if they were watching fansubs. And the stuff that got fansubbed and talked about wasn't often cutesy stuff, because Murricans are all about their masculinity and mature cartoons.

>Animation quality is better
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have you seen what the typical TV anime in the 80s and 90s looked like?

I dare ONE person on Sup Forums find me a better looking anime made after the 90s. It's not going to happen.

Yeah. It had cel animation, which is automatically superior to whatever digital tripe is shat out these days.

>muh cels

>automatically superior

>the averages back then were lower in quality than the averages now
No one cares about mediocrities, you faggot. Old anime highs were still higher than today's highs.