Relife whole premisse is dumb and stupid

The first question is: How can they erase other people's memories without their permission? How can they erase the memories of any student that has nothing to do with the company. This is a clear violation of human rights. This company would get sued to their asses.

The second question is: Who pays this whole shit? I pray it is not the taxpayers. Who would agree to pay taxes to then some fucker erase their memories?

The third question is: Does nobody in Japan uses Social Media? Let's say one of the school students posted a photo on the facebook or google+ account. I really doubt facebook or google would grant a japanese company permission to remove anything they wanted.

Really, there are way too many plot holes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HQwrjdSz4F4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're also forgetting that if a company actually had this sort of drug that makes you look like a high school kid again, they could make a gazillion bucks by selling it to people who would otherwise waste it on facelifts.

Yeah, I do like the show, but these questions also bug me. Not so much the pay part, cause that would be thinking too into it, but the memory thing, since it does have a significant part to the story, but for now I'm still enjoying it cause not only does best girl have a chance at winning, she's also a cake.

maybe that's where they get there money, by selling it to the wealthiest of the wealth

Eventually they would want to show their youth to others so it wouldn't stay a secret for long.

How can an autistic girl be so sexy?

I like it but I agree with point one. It's not even explained in the show, don't know about the mango, but it is just retarded.
The pill itself already kind of sets the direction but at least you can sort of buy it and ignore it, the memory erasing on the other hand is just absolutely retarded.

This is the kind of show where you have to realise plotholes caused by "but realistically it wouldn't work like that" don't matter.
The point is to have a 27 yo dude magically turn 17 with a pill.
Your focus should be to be entertained by that scenario, no to try and find holes in the shoddy explanations that make such an impossible scenario possible.

They could answer those questions via world building. The dilemma is: (1) if the world building was too shallow then we'd just have new questions; (2) if the world building isn't shallow then the manga just spent an assload of time developing some alternate world Japan which is a distraction from what the actual focus of ReLife.

The drug is like the time travel in Boku Dake. It's just a device to set up the premise.

They could have made like in the Gantz.

If you tell anybody a micro bomb will explode inside your head.

That kind of retarded explanation might work for something like Gantz. But it's not going to work for everything.
Sometimes it's just best to not try to explain stuff that can't be explained.

The whole memory erase thing is pure plot garbage, but at least they fixed the Yoake romance nonsense:
"Yoake, you may not interve with the subject under any circumstances. By the way, you should have a romantic relationship with Hishiro."
What?!?!

PREMISE AND PLOT DO NOT MATTER IN A STORY

No. There is no reason why this should exist, how do you even erase everyone's memories? Also get rid off this memory erasing an literally nothing changes. It's a cheap way of trying to build up drama. You can literally just say he moved to a different city or school or died or whatever, erasing the memory of everyone is fucking retarded and absolute shit tier writing.

No. There's no reason to think about this memory erasing thing too hard.
Cheap or not that's just how the story goes.

They can't but how many people from high school do you remember? I only recall like three people I hung out with. Eventually people will forget about you and you will forget about people.

I bet in the end it is revealed that everybody in that school is actually a relife subject. But everybody is pretending to be a high schooler to avoid being detected.

And then we have an Evangelion ending with "OMEDETO!!!".

The video

youtube.com/watch?v=HQwrjdSz4F4

>there is no reason to think about shit tier writing

somehow it feels appropriate to post this here

nobody cares snobfag.

ayy lmao autismo op
>asking
>shady as fuck megacorp
k e k

I remember nearly everyone out of my classes. But if I ever see them in real life I just pretend not to know them as I learned from a previous experience all they talk about is high school or who hooked up with who.

It's more 'science-fiction' than 'fantasy' though. If a wizard came to him and told him that he's going to turn him into a 17 year old again nobody would be arguing.

But it makes no difference if the story doesn't want to focus on the minor details of how the pill/memory erasing work.

Nobody is asking about the specifics of the technology behind. People are talking about the legal implications which simply make the setting not particularly believable.

You're dumb and stupid. Probably ugly too.

Specifics/legal implication/realism etc...
Makes no difference if the story doesn't want to deal with that.
Just changing it to 'magic' isn't going to magically turn it in a better story.

The three things you said have literally been done by the CIA and it's highly likely that they're still illegally doing it right now somewhere.

>Just changing it to 'magic' isn't going to magically turn it in a better story.
It would get rid of the plot holes.

Even though the CIA would probably like to be able to do that or at least have people seriously believe that they can, but they actually can't erase peoples minds. At best they could permanently erase someone's mind by killing him, but that's it.

>It would get rid of the plot holes.
Plot holes don't matter if you decide they don't matter.
If you think hard enough you'll find hundreds of plot holes in every work of fiction.

It's important to be able to tell which ones are real plot holes that matter because they fuck everything up, and which ones don't matter at all and it's just you trying to overanalyse some aspect of the story that was never meant to be overanalysed.

>they actually can't erase peoples minds

There are two disclosed ways to do it and they even can replace the memories with fake ones. Educate yourself kid.

>Plot holes don't matter if you decide they don't matter.
And other people may have a different opinion than you on the matter. Just because you think it doesn't matter for the setting to be coherent doesn't mean everyone else holds the same opinion.

You're taking it too seriously.

Utter and complete nonsense.

Who do you think works for the CIA? Wizards?

If you seriously believe that the CIA could erase peoples memories or even replace them you've been watching too many bad Hollywood movies.

Certainly some psychologists hoping to have their bills paid by the government may tell people that they could do that - and people who are moronic enough may actually believe them - but in actuality that is not the case.

>Just because you think it doesn't matter for the setting to be coherent
That depends on the show, in Relife it doesn't, it's a character focused story and the Relife pill + memory erasing combo clearly aren't meant to modify the slice of life setting in any way.

I think my opinion makes more sense than yours, but feel free to be bothered by 'plot holes' that don't really matter if that's what you want to do.

The setting matters to character interaction since the limitations imposed on the characters through the setting affect their behaviour. You can't separate one from the other.

I might add: I generally even agree that ReLife is mostly a character drama. I'd even go so far that the background setting barely matters and they failed to make use of it in the anime since the protagonist's real age barely even matters to the plot. It's mostly a high school drama with some hints of romance as you can find them in countless shoujo or jousei magazines out there.

This, most of the points could be argued however they were NEETish, ofcourse they woulnt have social media, hurrdhurr.. And you took it too seriously you cant compare realism to anime because you will never find realism in most of the shit you watch

You're confusing setting and plot devices.
It's possible to have unexplained (or barely explained) plot devices that don't fit or change the setting.
If that's the story the author wants to tell there's nothing you can do about it, and complaining about how the plot device doesn't make sense in the setting is pointless.

>It's possible to have unexplained (or barely explained) plot devices that don't fit or change the setting.
The point isn't that they're unexplained, the point is that they don't make sense.

The show is supposed to take place in a real world setting and thus retarded things that would never work out in real life clash with the viewer's expectations.

>If that's the story the author wants to tell there's nothing you can do about it
I don't think you understand how criticism works. I'm not demanding a change: I'm judging what I'm presented. And thus far it's undeniable that the show has pretty big plot holes as others have pointed out. If it upsets you that much that people are reasonably and calmly pointing out aspects that don't make sense in shows you like, then I suppose you should probably stop discussing anime on the internet.

>The point isn't that they're unexplained, the point is that they don't make sense.
No they're clearly unexplained because the story doesn't bother explaining them.
If the show had tried explaining/worldbuilding and didn't made sense then it would be different.

The show is supposed to take place in a real world setting and thus having to modify the setting to explain this magic pill and the memory erasing that are unrealistic as fuck would contradict the author's choice of a real world setting.

>I don't think you understand how criticism works.
I'm criticising your criticism. Please understand.

Would it make more sense if those behind the whole experiment were the Democratic Party and their allies. Their excuse is that this is all for the sake of "social justice".
But actually it is just a test for something even bigger to control the world?

Did I made the setting more realistic?

>No they're clearly unexplained because the story doesn't bother explaining them.
There is literally no context in the civilised world in which brainwashing high schoolers as part of a rehabilitation program for Hikki/NEETs would be acceptable.

Did you miss the part where Hishiro and MC are called "test subjects"?

They ARE trying to monetize the drug, it goes further into it in the webcomic.

Is it just me or Arata is better being a support instead of a subject? ReLife was supposed to bring autists back to their normal life and Arata has apparently achieved beyond excellence with only half a year.

He's sort of right. People are conditioned to suspend disbelief with dragons that breathe fire and fly though they could bitch about biology and physics. Failure to push disbelief away here is because, unlike dragons, you don't have a convenient world archetype to fit the setting elements into; it's a failure of imagination.

>There is literally no context in the civilised world in which brainwashing high schoolers as part of a rehabilitation program for Hikki/NEETs would be acceptable.
Then how do you tell that story?
You don't because the setting isn't acceptable?
No, you just tell the story and don't focus on the explaining setting at all.
The plot devices stay plot devices and nothing more, they have no realistic impact on the setting.

>Did you miss the part where Hishiro and MC are called "test subjects"?
Did you miss the part where the high school kids they're going to school with are supposed to be brainwashed afterwards?

That doesn't have anything to do with the point I'm addressing.

Part of the ReLife project is to test for any side effects of the drug they are taking. Which means the company is actually trying to make money and not just dick around with some incredibly elaborate and expensive social experiment.

>Did you miss the part where the high school kids they're going to school with are supposed to be brainwashed afterwards?
Did you miss the part where they have a pill that completely change your physical appearance under a few hours?
How do you know they don't have memory erasing technology that is 100% safe and harmless?

Agreed. Developing the setting to explain things would necessarily make it less like the real world, so it makes sense to skip it.

>No, you just tell the story and don't focus on the explaining setting at all.
The problem is that part of their setting clashes with real life expectations. What we're talking about is an issue of what Popper called 'Verisimilitude'.

The setting is mostly realistic and thus the viewer is making assumptions that extrapolate based on it. e.g. nobody would wonder why gravity applies the same in their world as in real life. If suddenly people were flying around with no explanation given, then people would naturally wonder what is up there. In the same sense, allowing a shady company to brainwash teenagers as part of a rehabilitation program is not believable.
And even if we assume that the handlers were lying to them and they're not actually going to get brainwashed or perhaps that everyone in that school is just like them, it would still leave the question why nobody bothered to point it out that what they're doing is highly illegal.

Even if it were safe and harmless it could still not be legally applied.

>The setting is mostly realistic and thus the viewer is making assumptions that extrapolate based on it.
Suspension of disbelief works the same way mate. Initial setup tells you where the world is unreal. Within like four chapters. It's dragons.

If you bitched about people staying on the ground when dragons fly that's bad extension of disbelief. Mostly because you're not suspending at all and thinking up silly stories about dragons, gravity, shady corporations, and legality.

>illegal
What are you, some lawfag dicking around practicing sophistry?

>Initial setup tells you where the world is unreal.
You're missing that changes to one aspect of the world leads to changes in others. This is exactly what is criticised: a lack of coherence.

In the end, I don't think you've given this a whole lot of thought. Your whole response to OP's arguments is that the plot holes don't matter to you because you enjoy watching this just so much. That might as well be the case - for you - but it doesn't make the plot holes non-existent.

The point is that I would expect a 27 year old to at least ask about whether this is legal - because in the real world it's supposed to take place in (or at least a world resembling our real world to a great deal). A single line from him and a shady response from his handler delivered with his mischievous smile that it might be not while casually brushing his objections aside would have instantly defused all criticism in that regard. That the author failed to address this leaves reasonable room for criticism.

It's just a plot device, you're not supposed to think too hard about it.

Not even the same guy but if your defense for poor writing is
>just don't think about it
Then I don't know what to tell you son.

Arata is pretty much a subject guaranteed to succeed

He has incredibly high social awareness and the willingness to act against wrong doings despite being burned before. He easily makes friends and is very likeable. If he had been simply given a second chance he would shine, unfortunately due to retarded Japanese culture he was stuck in an endless cycle of freeting and interviews.

the branch Yoake and An are working for really need results after the fuck up of Hishiro so I suppose that was another deciding factor of him being chosen.

I personally have the feeling that Arata may be offered a job at Relife at the end of his term.

Memories are just neurons kiddo, all you have to do is get rid of them.

These would be big plot holes for a manga based around medicine or business, but this is neither.

ok

>How can they erase other people's memories without their permission? How can they erase the memories of any student that has nothing to do with the company. This is a clear violation of human rights. This company would get sued to their asses.

But they can't. They've already forgotten it by then.

>Who pays this whole shit? I pray it is not the taxpayers. Who would agree to pay taxes to then some fucker erase their memories?

They're a rich company.

>Does nobody in Japan uses Social Media? Let's say one of the school students posted a photo on the facebook or google+ account. I really doubt facebook or google would grant a japanese company permission to remove anything they wanted

They use LINE, twitter, and some uses snapchat. They probably can remove anything they want user. Money talks.

>x whole premisse is dumb and stupid.
This should become a meme for thread OPs

>Wizards?

Christ you really are dense if you think that memories are magic or something. There are a bunch of documented experiments where memories were erased with drugs and brain surgery + electricity. There were even programs about creating false memories to replace the old ones.

I liked the "twist" on the highschool drama but agree with everyone that the author's attempts to how the premise works was a mistake. The pill and relife corp should never have been explained and whole thing should have been all mysterious and maybe vaguely alluding to god/aliens. The explainations provided by the show only raise questions about the inner logic of the setting which is the best way to break immersion and distract from the more important parts in thr show.

I'm fine with how it is right now, but I agree that a lot of it could be "fixed" with just being more vague with how the whole thing works.
Instead of it being a pill, they could just take you to their facility and put you to sleep for example, which would open up a lot of possibilities and provide enough suspension of disbelief.

The real issue is that most of the shit you are complaining about wouldnt even be an issue if the story didnt try to explain the whole relife process. The show could have just been about a dude meeting a mysterious stranger that offers him another shot at highschool with strings attached and a ticking clock. No need to use pills, hints of a corporation, supports that are just normal people doing jobs, none of that was needed and only creates pointless confision.

True, but then it's hard to justify the reverse-transformation Arata demanded for quitting his temp job and visiting his senpai's grave.

Now if only they'd invented pic related.

They could have just not had those scenes are passed the MC off as his younger brother. Reverse pill was a bad idea.

there is literally no proof that their memories will be erased. all my bets are on it being a lie to make the test subjects take into account the possibility they could be completely forgotten afterwards, changing their reactions and respawn towards scenarios in the time period given to live their relife. that's my take on it anyway. it makes more sense being that an and ryo both tested arata in that department.

>The second question is: Who pays this whole shit? I pray it is not the taxpayers. Who would agree to pay taxes to then some fucker erase their memories?
This is actually the least unrealistic thing you mentioned, you have no idea how big business, research and corporations work.

That shit could easily be sponsored, and I mean funded entirely, by just about anyone/thing that thought it might be beneficial to them either in the short or long term. Quite likely more than one entity too. It could be a completely private affair or it could be secretly government funded through not so 3rd party 3rd parties and all other manner of little tricks.

>Really, there are way too many plot holes.
>anime and manga

What a retarded way to start a thread. You have a magical pill that turns you younger and that's the kinda shit that triggers your autism?
You might want to watch more than 5 series before posting on Sup Forums.

Honestly a 27yo with the appearance of a 17yo is perfect waifu material in every way possible. Just gotta pop a couple puppers in her pouch before she's all dried up.

tfw everything is just information and with quantum computational power we can map every part of our brain and upload ourselves to the internet in 10-20 years and this nigger still thinks cia cant mess with ur minds memories

Your whole life is dumb and stupid.

does anyone know what the setting is?

You don't need to ask permission when they will forget it. It's like rape, you don't have to worry if they orgasm.

You must be the life of the party.

Without the ridiculous pill and memory thing it's just a standard high school shoujo

They have pills that make you look 17 but you're pointing out the absurdity of a government backed clinical trial

Absolutely, it's all about setting consistency that allows for suspension of disbelief. The pill itself doesn't cause any problems there.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeee Life

Fuck this waiting shit, I just want to see the cake and the ossan get together agh

I suppose releasing the show in one shot has doomed the series to an early grave, as far as discussion is concerned.

Also S2 never.

It went all in before any other show could even start to gain traction, we'll see if it pays off.

Answer : It's anime

What a man.

I assume its some whole Japanese government test project to tackle the NEET problem.

>There are a bunch of documented experiments where memories were erased with drugs and brain surgery + electricity. There were even programs about creating false memories to replace the old ones.
In your fantasy maybe, or in conspiracy theories you read about on /x/.

How about you link me to the paper where someone claims to be able to custom engineer memories so I can laugh at him?

which one of them is subject 1

I think it's more stupid to release all the episodes at once.

Project MKUltra was a thing that actually happened, user.

And nothing really came out of it. 'Brainwashing' is a propaganda term, nothing more.

70% of women don't even cum from dicks so don't worry. She won't be cumming

I bet they don't actually brainwash anyone to forget them, that it's just a premise to get people to not keep their guard up the entire time. There's probably something in the contract that dictates they have to move to another area and break all contact with everyone they were directly involved with for a period of time.

>God kills a cat girl.
Good riddance.