Stoicism is the ultimate redpill

Epicurean faggots dont belong to Sup Forums

Nietzsche had some harsh words about you.

>Nietzsche
He was a moral relativist and Mason. He was literally the definition of subversion. To him raping children was justifiable. Look at the last picture of the man with his hand in his pocket. He was a Mason... time to grow up bud.

What is epicureanism as you understand it?

>Epicureanism

You do know that by modern standards Epicurean 'hedonism', at least as understood and practiced by its progenitor, was in practice a form of stoicism right?

He went out of his way to live off of mostly bread and water to better enjoy the smallest of things and put himself in harsh conditions to want for naught. Dude lived as quasi-ascetic.

LOL
>reads Nietzche as moral relativist

oh god, just give up on literature, bro. one can be unempirical and "beyond good and evil" without being a relativist.

the only true relativists are the post-modernists, who bastardized a lot of nietzche's root thoughts.

read him again, pussy, but this time don't read only with the sterilized/logical part of your noggin.

>Nietzche was more romatic poet than relativist, you pussy

yeah but most people don't realize that hedonism doesn't really mean I GET TO FUCK EVERYTHING AND TAKE ALL DRUGS.

just means striving for pleasure or the good, which are always re-defined. really any philosophy could be called hedonistic, even those that outright sought pain and destruction (because clearly that has a sort of "high" too).

He is Kant for Dummies

Indeed. Nietzsche is Demigod-tier based philosophy. Understood and combined with Stoic practices (stoicism lacks the existential framework that Nietzsche provides to empower the stoic practices) and then combined with classical cynicism to reject the gross modern society and hit back at it...

God-tier.

no he's not. he's for romantics/artists/and men of power

kant is just a bunch of technical jargon that essentially boils down to the golden rule. ive read some kant myself, boi, beyond just wikipedia pages and forum.

kant--no doubt is incredible and important and blah blah---but his tomes don't speak to the human soul. he's all head. and humans---idc how logical and stoic you think you are---are not all head. nietzche is for the heart and the mind, not giving us rules, but giving us inspiration.

gtfo with your reductive arguments, you fucking maggot

i liek you a lot.

Stoicism is gay. It was like the Roman version of leftism. They wanted to free all the slaves and create a globalist brotherhood of man.

really? interdasting

In Kantian ethics you judge the action by asking, "what if everyone did exactly what I'm doing, or behaved this way."

Seems sensible, but it isn't. The nature of life, reality, and society is that it functions because people have different capabilities and make different choices.

Nietzschean ethics says, "I'll do that which only I can."
Stoicism wil help you live with the consequences of your mistakes, and keep you from getting too god-like arrogant in your thinking.

What thinker best represents the idea that sitting around arguing about philosophers online with a Starbucks Americano in hand is a waste of time?

>Epicurus went out of his way to live off of mostly bread and water to better enjoy the smallest of things and put himself in harsh conditions to want for naught. Dude lived as quasi-ascetic.

The garden, a symbol for Epicurus’s philosophical ideal of ataraxia, or tranquil pleasure.

>beyond wikipedia pages and forums
You do realize I focused on German Idealism and the Scottish Enligthenment with my philosophy major, right? Come on now.

P.S. my college didn't have a pure Art History major so I really did do the Art History focus within the History program

thank you for a more lucid critique than i gave

>philosophy major
well ya could've proved that better :^)

His "critique" was a meaningless appeal to "muh feelz", Kant's political writings are not at all similar to his metaphysical works but there is no point in arguing with someone who hasn't read them

Nietzsche and Kant were both gay. Sophists are the real redpill

>be me
>visit alma mater on the way back from motorcycle trip
>go to philosophy department
>remember when it was two main professors
>both 70 year old western philosophy focused
>based
>actual quote from one, "the reason I was the lone faculty hold out who voted against making women's gender studies a major in the 60s was because i already could see it had nothing to do with intellectualism or knowledge,"
>actual quote from the other, "Civilization began the first caveman looked at his dead opponent and thought, 'he looks like me... i ought not eat him' "
>smile to myself with these memories
>both dead now
>philosophy department is all women and beta male professors
>literal "safe space" stickers on their office doors
>white board in the hallway is a tribute to "diverse" philosophy
>Rage
>grab eraser
>wipe out middle of the shitstain
>write, "No one is more inferior than those who demand equality," in violent scrawl
>as walk off hear, 'hey... hey you," from behind
>dont turn around
>fuck them

Good Will Nietzsche.

Agree
if not by Mother Nature's hand, then it shall be the results the ignorant epicurean materialists that see us to our graves

tl;dr on stoicism

is it just trying your best to expect everything wrong with life to happen to you so you wont get upset?

that sounds pretty depressing

Stoicism isnt about being miserable. It's about being tranquil, which is the best happiness. A good stoic should be able to laugh on the rack, as they say.

Misery is sign of a bad stoic
cheerfulness is sign of a good one.

Discipline is Freedom.

That's a really good summary of stoicism.

Once you can pay your own way, and live a comfortable life, what is the point in improving yourself (/SIG/) at that point? Is maintenance the goal then?

I think he just hated them because they are boring. They (the Roman stoics anyways) preferred to live in a way that preserved their inner calm rather than experiencing or confronting their own fear, anger, etc. There's a lot left to be desired with their views too. Like wtf do they mean when they say live in accordance with nature. Overall just a boring bunch of cucks

The ancient stoics were abused as kids. This philosophy was just a way of dealing with the emotional pain.

I am a Stoic and a Taoist

Ask me anything

>tranquility again
Epicureanism and stoicism in their more original forms aren't exactly in strenuous opposition.

This tbqh

Read Epictetus. He wrote a stoic handbook for roman legionaries with cool pro-tip stuff like, "Imagine your corpse being eaten by crows," very similarly to classical Japanese adages.

What makes you a Taoist?

it sounds cool and gets the goth chicks

Neither is Hedonism in it's "original form":
use wisdom to determine between need and want
fufill needs
keep wants under control
tranquility.

I fucking knew it.

I realized they're one in the same after finishing Tao Te Ching
>Goths
>Existing after the 90's

Fucking grandpas

>not going absurdist
>not going gnostic
>not going hermetic

>I realized they're one in the same after finishing Tao Te Ching

You dont know shit and you know it. THat's how I know you actually read the Tao Te Ching. FUcking legit religiously ordained taoists cant even explain it ;p

I do know Mike Tyson is a Taoist immortal.

I agree with two of those three

which?

>not reading xuangzi

Fucking pleb tier, the Tao is for psueds and masters only

Nietzsche was a syphilitic cocksucker.

I said Taoism

Not the Tao itself

That edge was already dull 30 years ago. Might as well go full commie. You'll get more traction.

>hurr durr
>what if I'm actually an anime girl dreaming of being a neckbeard?

This. utilitarianism is the biggest con job in philosophy

>pursue the maximal good
>what's the good?
>blue screen.jpg

The butterfly passage is to illustrate to you that every moment is entirely self contained and disconnected from both past and future.
>butterfly one moment
>xuangzi next
>no connection

>xungzi one moment
>xuangzi next
>the connection is an illusion faggot

Also you citing the most popular passage essentially guarantees you've only read the wiki page. Fucking psued

Truth

>what's the good?
>blue screen.jpg
kek

indeed.

Nietzsche was a sociopathic megalomaniac who was happy to burn down civilization to have it rebuilt in his image. He repeatedly says belief systems are nothing more than tools to influence the action of others. He's using you fools as a fucking art project, his own vision created by the mad impotence of his shell of a body.

Nietzsche must be overcome, the herd morality of society is unavoidable at this point. The question is how to make a superior herd, not to let out the wolves

Not sure what that means, but cool sword metaphor.
>ps good swords can be sharpened again and again

>visit alma mater on the way back from motorcycle trip
>write "No one is more inferior than those who demand equality" in violent scrawl
>as walk off hear, 'hey...hey you,' from behind
>don't turn around

i'm aroused. that's metal as fuq if true.

As dogbert said- time is the illusion that because our minds cannot grasp reality in its entirety, such concepts as "past" and "future" must exist.

The chain of causation is broken
we all only tumble endlessly into the void
entropy the only law
till all light fades

now go find how to live in a transcendent way in that situation.

Nietzsche motherfucker. Nietzsche.

the motorcyclist's name?

Albert Einstein.

he not once appealed to "muh feels"

and weren't we talking more general philosophy? i know there is overlap with politics, but not at all in our discussion earlier...so...what?

>his image.
Obviously didnt read.

>He repeatedly says belief systems are nothing more than tools to influence the action of others. He's using you fools as a fucking art project,

I suppose if you are dumb enough to think he wasn't assuming that by virtue of reading him you were opening up to his influence...
Once again, it appears you didnt read Nietzsche

>Nietzsche must be overcome, the herd morality of society is unavoidable at this point. The question is how to make a superior herd, not to let out the wolves

Holy shit. are you illiterate? You are making nietzsche's point.

You obviously havent read...

Stoicism faggots don't belong to Sup Forums

-Stoic

>The question is how to make a superior herd, not to let out the wolves

That is exactly what he was trying to do

Sad, but true.

Institutions of higher education are over.

Welcome to the world. Try to keep up.

If only I could be as boundlessly indifferent as nature. Then I could be truly stoic.

btw- part of why wolves are superior predators is because of their ability to work as a team.

this is very similar to people and probably part of the reason they were able to be domesticated.

this is also why cynicists (the classical word is the same root as canine- cynicism is literally "doglike philosophy) looked to dogs as inspiration. More true to their animal nature, but still with a rough version of useful society. They abhorred the overdeveloped society that make men weak and women powerful and virtue signaling matter more than actions.

but the point is, you make a superior herd by letting the wolf be the wolf.

muh feels. tbqh idc about race or any false idol of western civilization, i just wish more people valued fuckin' books still.

like our function would function far better if people actually were given a fundamental education in philosophy and it's function outside of those pseud fucks nowadays who just want to say they majored in philosophy. (not knocking the major, just most of them that i know)

the greeks and the germans still have a lot to say, and would help a lot today. crazy that we have access to more information than ever before and that actually makes people less inclined to seek truth

ALSO: if this fucking captcha tells me that i didnt select all the signs one more time im going to fucking die

>our function would function
what a retard
*society would function

fuck man, thanks for your content tonight. actually made this Sup Forums binge seem somewhat useful. saved a lotta your shit.

Cynicism is parasitism my dude, it's a rejection of all norms to the point of societal collapse if widely practiced. A lot of better philosophies reject feminine wiles and worldliness.

As for "let the wolf be the wolf," we have too many co-existing hierarchies in modern society to allow pure wolfs. The hierarchies would rip each other apart. We're dogs now with the odd wolf leader, that's not going to change

Dealing with loss and pain is a part of stoicism, but it's about being well tempered more than anything. As in, the root of most suffering comes from within, similar to Buddhism. Unlike Buddhism which totally attempts to reject possession as the root of suffering, Stoicism identifies our own attachments as the root but acknowledges that they are human and natural. It's more about learning to let go than not experiencing an emotion. It's also about realizing that the only thing a man is in control of is his own actions and that everything else is outside his control for the most part. When the Stoics talk about living in accord with nature, it's about living alongside the logic of the universe (fate) as it happens. Which is why to Stoics, irrational behavior is repulsive since you basically give up the only control you have over your own life.

Turn the competitive instincts somewhere useful. Competition itself is a way people learn to work together when the structure of the competition sufficiently rewards cooperation.

stoicism is for highschoolers who can't get laid

We're ALL living in somebody's art project. We have tremendous power over it. It's our art project, too.

> the point of societal collapse if widely practiced

thats the point.

cynicism isnt for everyone.
it's like monasticism in that way
that's why it works so well ethically with stoicism and Nietzschean ethics.

My pleasure.
i owe it to the old gentlemen who taught me.

>stoicism is for highschoolers who can't get laid

100 fucking %.
AND adults user... and adults...

and those facing death.
and those facing disease
being cucked...
being cheated on
being in jail
being oppressed.

you are right.