Do you prefer to read the source material before you watch an anime or after?

Do you prefer to read the source material before you watch an anime or after?

I prefer to watch the anime over ever reading the manga desu (and I've never read a LN)

I tend to read the manga when it ends without a conclusion and it's all "lol read the manga to know the rest xDDDD"

When I've read a manga and it gets made into an anime I tend to be unable to watch due to already knowing what's gonna happen it makes things kind of boring for me. Unless I'm literally in love with the anime/manga then I'll watch/read both

It's either one or the other
Since I already read part 4 Im less exited to revisit something I have already read recently but I do love the animation in Part 4 and the coloring
I didn't read part 3 so I watched it and looked forward to it every week

If its a longer running show I'll just read the source. If its only like 12 or so episodes I'll check out the anime first

After.

I just nitpick the anime if I read the source material first.And what said.

I also don't read VN's until after watching their anime so I can visualize better.

If the source is a translated eroge, then I read the source material and don't watch the adaptation.
If the source is anything else, then fuck the source.

>I tend to read the manga when it ends without a conclusion and it's all "lol read the manga to know the rest xDDDD"
Fucking Medaka Box. Although the ending to that last episode was pretty cool, it still hurts.

I prefer watching the anime first. Albeit there's many cases where I'll have read the manga first due to being unaware of the possibility of an anime

I like to compare and contrast the two.

I usually watch the anime first, since I get more of an experience out of it. If its one of those, cliffhanger endings then what choice do I have?
However, with shows like Jitsu wa and the new Berserk, I'd rather just read the manga

My plan for Jojo 4 is

Anime>duwang>the official english release when it comes out like next year or something

I don't like watching anime adaptations of manga because they're almost always letdowns compared to the original material. The only recent one I can think of that was really good was Kekkai Sensen.

In most case with anime i'm interested in them because they are based on anime I've already read.Depends on How fateful to the source material it is like Jojo vs Berserk
or how ugly the manga is like lets say HxH.

>the official english release
why would you do that

>reading duwang
There's only like 5 panels worth reading from that.

Source, then adaptation, then source again.

I liked how they added Iggy and used the old SC artstyle for this scene

I watch the anime first, i'm a fast reader so i can catch up with the manga-only parts pretty quickly without being too bored, but watching the anime of a story i already know is always a chore.

I always check out the source material before watching something. Helps decide what I want to watch or not.

It depends. If it's just a flavor of the month show, I'll watch the anime version because if I know all the plot developments from the manga I'll get bored.

But if it's a really iconic manga, like Dragonball or Jojo, I'll read the original first.

Usually before. Sometimes I'll see something in the upcoming season which looks interesting and I'll try and read the manga of it before it starts. Sometimes the anime is the only thing available though. Occasionally I'll watch a few eps of an anime and then read the manga of it.

Manga is always much faster to get through which is ideal.

>People are reading duwang for the cred.
People read it because it was the only translation available, same as the piss yellow chapters in Part 3 and the shitty Part 4 translation.

>Reading JoJo in color

Sorry to break it to you but if you're not reading in the original B&W you might as well be an anime-only fag

Sorry to break it to you but if you're reading scanlations instead of the actual original phisical manga in Japanese you may as well be an anime-only fag.

Nobody gives a shit.

I prefer to never watch/read adpations and limit myself to the source material.

I want to read it because it sounds funny.

To financially support the work I like.

Sometimes Araki likes to cram in so much stuff into 1 panel that it's impossible to tell what's going on without the color scans.

Sorry to break it to you, but if you're not even Hirohiko Araki himself drawing the pages for Jump, you can't even consider yourself a JoJo fan.

They probably won't do that, the current JoJo translations are of JoJonium, the special release of Parts 1-3. If the demand is high enough, they might print it in English, but with the fanbase having a perfectly fine fan translation without the legal issues, it might not be easy.

It was announced that Viz is putting it out, and the how to draw manga book.

I'd rather watch the anime first, because I feel like manga is hurt less by knowing everything already (you go at your own pace and don't have to sit through the characters slowly having a conversation that you already know, etc.), but in practice I usually end up reading the manga first because I don't have four/eight/sixteen hours to spare for the anime at the time and don't feel like just tossing the whole franchise onto my endless backlog where it would sit untouched for years.

Diamond is Unbreakable anime is great because I first read it back when Duwang was the only scanlation, so my hazy memory + new translation makes the anime version feel almost brand new to me

There are non-shit scanlations now?

Yeah

After but ever since Toriko I wish I did it before. And if I read the manga later I will be less critical about an anime.

>and the shitty Part 4 translation.
What do you think duwang is?

Part 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 all have excellent translations and scans in color.

Part 7 is about halfway done, with 2 volumes done every three weeks.

Part 5 is still a long way away though.

5 is the one that needed it the most, who the fuck decided to do 3 and 6 first?

Might as well wait for the inevitable anime version

6 was done for a while. The guy who did it completed it like 2 years ago and worked at a maniacal pace. He just spent the last year updating the fonts and cleaning it up too.

5 does need it the most, but it is a lot harder (and slower) to translate the manga than just use photoshop to take translations and move them into a color version.

Everyone should read at least a bit of duwang to understand what their elders went through back in the dark ages. Same with ONIDZUKA.

>implying I'm not
Here's a pic I drew of me and my husbando

What if you're really enjoying an anime that just started and you find the Manga. I'm not sure if I should read it to get as much as I can or be patient so I'm pleasantly surprised in the anime.

Almost always I prefer reading the manga exclusively, not that big on anime.

But as for Jojo, the anime is so faithful to the manga, it's basically the same thing.

and part 5 aka paris

This. Please don't subject yourself to Duwang, guys.

I was a Jojo fan back when all we had was the Duwang scans. For years it made me rank part 4 among the lowest of the Jojos, with the only saving grace being Yoshikage Kira.

Re-reading it with the proper translation (Along with the color scans) shot it up to #2 for me behind Steel Ball Run.

Meme all you want, but they really don't change much of anything. It's all been super faithful with pretty much zero filler.

Depends on the adaptation, in cases like FMA or JoJo that have a good quality adaptation I'd prefer to watch the anime.
But in other cases where the anime is a low budget bad paced mess like with One Piece or skips a fuckton of chapters like in Brynhildr I just read the manga.

>Old Onizuka scans
I don't wish that upon anyone

>color
user said non-shit.

Part 7 is done in B&W.
The team that does the color scans were working on part 5, but they put in on hold for a while to retranslate other parts.
At this rate the anime will be the first time we get decent translations of part 5

>tfw visiting Sup Forums every day hoping there would be an update from Shizuka & Jojoproject early in the SBR translation process.