G Just three percent of adults own half of America’s guns

Holy fuck, they really could just confiscate them without any problems at all couldn't they?

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/19/just-three-percent-of-adults-own-half-of-americas-guns/?utm_term=.13712c6d00ce

Other urls found in this thread:

pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/29/american-gun-ownership-is-now-at-a-30-year-low/?utm_term=.6c38ea54af36
theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey
youtube.com/watch?v=FfBwsG8ubFw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ok, who owns the other half?

Super owner reporting in loud and proud III%er

> 78% of american adults are nogun cuck fags

BTFO normies. feels good man

>Basing a vast 360,000,000 person country on 4,000 people in the Northeast.
Fuck off tard.

How convenient

How come I wasn't surveyed

where do they get this shit?

Agitprop. 49% of respondents in a poll I can't find right now reported yes, there is a firearm in the house -- and that was after Sandy Hook.

On the plus side, if there is a ban I have a closet full of what will become premium pre-ban lowers ready for gunbroker. And I could use a new truck :)

how many guns do you need to have to make the cutoff for the 3% club??

>tattoos on your hands

oh nice, it says 17 guns.

So I need to buy 14 more

So enough people to overthrow an oppressive regime

shiet i need 11 more i guess

>The Harvard/Northeastern study is based on a survey of nearly 4,000 Americans conducted online in 2015 by a market research company, GfK, with a nationally representative panel of opt-in participants who are compensated to complete surveys on a variety of issues.

>Van Cleave, the president of the Virginia Citizen’s Defense League, said he was very skeptical of the accuracy of phone surveys of gun ownership, since he believes many gun owners might not feel comfortable telling a stranger on the phone whether they are a gun owner or how many guns they own. He said his “gut feeling” was that gun owners might be a little more comfortable answering questions honestly in an anonymous online survey.

>4000 "survey takers"

>"When I look at our survey, what I see is a population that is living in fear," Deb Azrael, a Harvard researcher and one of the study's lead authors, told the nonprofit news organization the Trace. "They are buying handguns to protect themselves against bad guys, they store their guns ready-to-use because of bad guys, and they believe that their guns make them safer."

>The Harvard/Northeastern study is based on a survey of nearly 4,000 Americans conducted online in 2015 by a market research company, GfK, with a nationally representative panel of opt-in participants who are compensated to complete surveys on a variety of issues.

So they're biased and their metrics are beyond slovenly. Nothing new.

>hello sir, this is the Bradydemandseverymom campaign, do you own any guns?
>uhhhh
*stares at pile of guns in corner*
>noooooooo....
>okay have a nice day sir

/thread

Would anyone of you tell a rando on the phone you have guns? Exactly.

Lol solid 20 reporting in

If someone called me up and asked me if I had guns, I'd sure as fuck say no. Assuming I don't just hang up immediately upon realizing it's a robodialer.

gonna call complete bullshit on these numbers

probably based on some "survey" that only included 1000 people and extrapolated statistically

Pretty sure the DOD owns more than half the guns here in the states. I got 43, just trying to do my part.

See . 4000 'opt-in participants' who work for a company that does market research.

And you can bet your ass that every WaPo subscriber sees this as completely valid.

BEHIND EVERY BLADE OF GRASS,.....

Just as i suspected

I know quite a few people that will not tell anyone but close friends and family they own firearms. I imagine people willing to share firearm ownership with random callers on the phone is very slim.

They usually do these kinds of surveys in a single county, and then just extrapolate the results to represent the entire country

corporate pollsters are paid to give organizations the numbers they want, also gun-nut are paranoid as fuck

here's what pew has to say about this shit
pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/

>WA PO gun piece in the wake of a mass shooting
>78% of american dont own any guns when every other stat says 40-50% dont
Seems legit, nothing to look at more closely here.

If this shit was true, guns would have been banned a long time ago.

>3%

they don't even realize

also, hillary will win the presidency
media has shown it can't do polls for shit because they fail to understand why they can't extrapolate the entire country from 1,000 people in vermont

>media tells lies
>media bitches when their lies are not true
every fucking time.

I know more than 32 people by first name in the nearest town who own some type of firearm. And that's is just an insignificant portion of a place where the majority of people have at least a hunting rifle. That is just one rural American town out of the thousands out there, you throw in the boondock denizens like me and that is a lot of gun owners

78%???

FAKENEWS!!!

The U.S. population is 326 million.

>tfw have 15 guns
>I am almost in the top percentile of something for the first time in my life

abstract feelings

>when you only pol 4000 people mfw

there's nothing wrong with the sample size you dip
it's how they pick the samples

I'm only an 8 gun fag
I wish I had more money for more guns

They should lead with this information instead of burying it at the bottom of the article.

The 78% is right there pal

Fucking this, first thing i thought.

I need I think 4 more, since I'm not counting black powder. My dad though, man has over 40 easily, but he's kind of a fudd so they're mostly shotguns.

I don't think using sample sizes is accurate enough for a population of more than 300,000,000 people with extremely different ownership rates in different areas.

Can you factually prove what you are saying with hard evidence.

STATISITCS: How to lie with maths

I need to get busy. I wanna be part of that elite club

How could they possibly know this?

>Tfw a little over 3% of the people in this country commit over half the gun violence is an actual statistic, but the studies won't touch that subject

>mfw I'm well within the 3%

>some faggot calls you
>how many [readily transportable valuables] do you have at home while you're at work?

>sample 4000 fish in the sea
>use this to extrapolate the entire hydrosphere

So, WaPo published [1], in the exact same blog 3 months earlier, a poll showing just over 36% from CBS news. And Pew's latest research showed 30%, as the user at showed.

I'm not surprised that guns are concentrating in the top owners. But when the "unpublished Harvard/Northeastern survey result summary, obtained exclusively by the Guardian and the Trace" [2] came up with total ownership at only 66% from the other research out there, I suspect I know why they didn't publish it in a peer reviewed journal (unless that's since changed).

Links or it didn't happen:

1. washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/29/american-gun-ownership-is-now-at-a-30-year-low/?utm_term=.6c38ea54af36

2. theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

>330 million people in the US
>4000 person sample
>all in the northeast

I call bs

>that only included 1000 people
This is more than enough to generalize the US with to about 95% certainty, given that the sample is a truly random sample.
>t. someone who's taken statistics

I have a passing familiarity with the math your talking about, but how does it hold up to geographic differences? You sure you can generalize something like tire chain ownership in Texas from a random sample of 1000 people in Ohio.

3% of American adults is a few million people. The US military got BTFO by 50,000 illiterate opium farmers.

Ooo I’m in like sin.

Nah. It's a pain in the ass because they'd have to track the guns down and pay for them.

>about 95% certainty
BULL FUCKING SHIT
the sample group was biased at best and not a fair representation of the general public
see
>STATISITCS: How to lie with maths

I own a boat. They tip over a lot.

It's ok breh, I just got my 6th one....

>tfw even if I were in the 3% club I'd still want more

I try matching Ammo, less Ammo to buy = more guns

Don't rock the boat

fucking 1% this is why we need communism so everyone gets guns. How dare the one percent hoard all the firepower

I KNOW WHEN SOMEONE CALLS ME UP RANDOMLY AND ASKS HOW MANY GUNS I OWN I ANSWER TOTALLY HONESTLY

Here. This is for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=FfBwsG8ubFw

Me too. Especially when I'm a pre-vetted worker for a market research firm.

>Hello sir or madam, how many guns are in your household?
I'd hang up immediately.

So much wrong with that survey.

>4000 representing three hundred and sixty something million people
>voluntary response bias
>potential selection bias
>casual assumption fallacy

Wew lad, reminds me of that "college rape statistics" that actually was just a survey.

> could they just confiscate them without any problems at all couldn't they?

based on their poll it would mean 72 million people have guns and of the group 3 million have a lot of guns. so it wouldn't be easy

Fuck, wrong pic.

literally 9.78 million if you do the math

No they didn't, they fucking shredded 95% of them, and then proceeded to have a drawn out wack-a-mole game for the rest. To this day, we are playing wack-a-muhammad.

Even going by their obviously false numbers, that's still 38 million adults who own an average of 4 guns per person, and an additional 6 million who own a small arsenal per person. Good luck confiscating anything with those numbers (protip: there are a lot more guns and a lot more people who own them than they claim)

>Good Luck.

Supposedly, around 3% of Americans participated in the American Revolution.

Way too many guns.

It's almost a better option for the govt if that 3% simply had some "unfortunate accidents" of the "dying" kind.

>Also this.

Survey's like this are shit because I know me and many others would never tell someone asking if I owned guns and how many, especially over the phone which I imagine many of these surveys are done.

Sounds like I need to pick out 9 new guns.

In other words, 66 million + own at least one firearm. Which means if only 10% of the 66 million want to defend their rights, the USA has an army of 6 million guerrilla warriors to deal with during confiscation.

They argue that the numbers are valid based on further surveys that cross-reference households with registered firearms and surveying THEM to see if the numbers add up. Chances are if you're in a state that registers firearms then you're already fucked and have no reason to lie (ny, ca, nj). The people who did the validation surveys probably assumed that all guns sold by FFLs (i.e. fill out a 4473) were considered to be "registered", and that only face-to-face transactions were unregistered.

I'm making assumptions about their methodology but if they're relying on registered gun sales and numbers they're way fucking off.

This. None of the articles provides a direct link to this study, but something tells me it was probably conducted in the northeast.

Your forgetting Calofornia's slaves.

Bullshit, the studies I've seen say 30-40% of Americans own a firearm.

lmao that's an outright lie

this
but if I know S about to HTF or I get cancer or something I'd get a swastika on my face

22% of 300+ million is still almost 70 million people with guns. If 5% of those people are skilled with firearms, that's still the largest armed force in the entire fucking world.

>21% of 350-ish million people own one or more gun.
>Easy to confiscate them.
That's more armed and potential rebels then the populations of some entire countries.

>So they're biased and their metrics are beyond slovenly. Nothing new.

no shit, this is every anti-conservative "study" ever done

same shit different day

Please tell me how many guns you have. Me? No I am definitely not an ATF agent. Now be a good go- guy and tell me.

Lies, filthy lies and statistics. You can with right manipulation make statistics say anything.

In parts of the country this is likely the case. In other parts it most certainly is not. And inevitably population dense locations found on the coasts will have lower gun ownership rates. I mean look at California - 8 million people and you'd only be able to subtract the police and a miniscule amount of private security and then an undetermined # of criminals to have gun owners. Probably less than 500,000.

NYC has more people than the entire state of Colorado. Or Minnesota. So naturally that is going to skew results.

Wow I'm 31 over

>sausage fingers
>hairy wrist
>tattoo on back of hand

Fuckin disgusting, m8

Sick!

3%er reporting. Almost all are shitty cheap guns, but who cares. Guns are fun

Get off my board.