Why are the Japanese so bad in dark fantasy?

Why are the Japanese so bad in dark fantasy?

"Dark fantasy" is a shitty genre anyway

You can't expect quality in a genre aimed at 12-16 year olds. It's just pointless edginess that only that bracket would enjoy

Because adults don't sell. Moe high schoolers sell, whether they're doing cute things or being murdred horribly.

Some Japanese people are fucking unintelligent hacks and some Japanese people actually have talent. Same goes for the West.

They can be good whenever they don't hold on so much to anime trappings (see Berserk).

Artistic talent yes

Storytelling ability no

Berserk is carried (for teenagers) by its 'adult' edgy themes and gore

Well, I dont like Berserk for its edge factor. Miura does good storytelling.

May I ask what other anime and manga you have enjoyed? Because I'm expecting you to post a list like you'd find on Sup Forums or Sup Forums

Have you read Berserk?

DEEP DARK FANTASY

care to name some examples of good dark fantasy?

Yes I have, it's been on my drop list for a long time due to slow releases and the low quality of storytelling. I reread it once and realised I'd grown out of it

Bloodborne was pretty good.

Small dick

Fuck you.

Not that user but of of curiosity what do you consider high quality story telling?

Was going to say Dark Souls, but yeah Bloodborne too.

Still?

So if shoenen shit is for kids and "adult" anime is for "adults" such as my self then what is real adult anime? Ping pong? Cute girls? Just leave the house and grow up?

I've never gotten an answer from the >edgy memers

>AgK anime would have been perfectly fine if they made Esdeath won.

Akegame ga Kill sucked from the beginning.

Anyone calling you kiddo or edgy for liking something has a superiority complex. In reality they feel like they're an inferior human being so they put on a front like they're better to fake it. Enjoy what you want and don't take fools seriously.

japanese manga and anime people maybe

the best dark fantasy that was ever made with the most intriguing story telling still comes from japan though

AgK is the measuring post for all garbage anime.

>the best dark fantasy that was ever made with the most intriguing story telling still comes from japan though
Indeed.

True greatness is always an exception to the norm, that's not exclusive for Japan.

At first it was ok

AGK! pisses me off for so many reasons.

Besides the obvious shock value deaths and the pedantic display of gore. Its how vapid and shallow it is.It's that they don't utilize the setting.

A revolution could have so many things to introduce and develop characters and or the setting. The policies and practices of the Empire that makes people want to rebel in the first place. The conflicting goals of many factions that might only be united by their mutual hatred of the empire. Religious beliefs, political views,ethnic plights, greed, or maybe just a lust for blood. The compromises and backstabbing of inter factional warfare and the ethical dilemmas it could introduce. Introducing foreign powers intervening either through aid or direct confrontation for varying reasons.

All of that is underutilized or just not brought up. just brought as exposition and never shown in story at best.

At least best girl didn't die.

Akame ga Kill was the best though, too bad the author run into a dead end by himself, that's what happens when you kill your whole cast without introducing new elements into the story.

Yes
Yes
Grownups have learnt to embrace the little pleasures in lives and stop being edgy

>tfw Akame ga Kill is bad because it effectively takes the whining about "x" character asspulling themselves to live too far

I know people don't like asspull but senseless murder of your cast till the blandest are all that is left seems to be taking a gimmick too far.

I don't think you understand what edgy actually is, or what good character development is.

>So obvious samefagging

Anyone else think Akame ga Kill is basically just like a really edgy version of Mistborn?

>People wanting to overthrow an empire because "CROOKED" or some bollocks like that
>Similar kind of setting if you remove the mist
>Users have different powers
>Assassination attempts and stealth used a lot

I think you never read Berserk manga

>SAO is the measuring post for all garbage anime.
FTFY

It's basically poor man's Mars of Destruction.

SAO is Mars of Destruction

AgK is Elfen Lied the battle shonen.

Both are shit but AgK was at least terrible and likable; SAO was garbage because its premise is as impossible as Terror in Resonance (death games in VR are impossible due to government making sure things can't fry brains)

I think half the problem is that modern studios have a really hard time creating dark aesthetics to match the story's tone/universe. You can't always pair bubblegum moe characters/colors/enivornments with a dark story. There are some series where the dramatic difference in visual tone vs. story tone can be used to great effect, but most do not fall under this category.

There are a number of series through the 80s, 90s, and even early 00s that do the dark aesthetic extremely well. I'm not sure how that was forgotten.

>Assassination
Akame ga Kill is just a congo line of shounen fights with groups of generic bad guys with teigus with "epic" titles who keep coming

>Bulat with Inursio and Bulat sans Incursio are both in the lineup

Every fucking time.

>I'm not sure how that was forgotten.

Moe is the answer.

LOTR is Dark Fantasy, you know.

Needed more scenes like when they tried to take out Captain Ogre in the first volume, could've been a much better series rather than devolving into standard shounen bullshit.

>AGK is literally Mars of Destruction
ftfy
Same color coded characters with no personality, same retarded deaths, same twists and bottom of the barrel shit writing
Utter crap with no redeeming quality that makes your eyes bleed.