The State of Crunchy

>character clearly says "耳としっぽが茶色だから、ちゃ!"
>pic related

This has gone beyond the realm of bad translation and into making up shit. This isn't even excusable like mishearing "不審者" as "死んだ" in Bijutsubu's 2nd episode preview or translating Subaru's cut-off "Emilia" as "Rem".

How do we stop vidya-tier 'localization' from infecting our chinese cartoons?

Stop watching shit anime. There. Problem fixed.

The "translation" of her reasoning for Teko was worse

Now that they have killed fansubbing they have no motiviation to put decent subs.

Also the translation of Amachu has been ass since ep 1, I just wish Asenshinreleased faster

On the other hand you have Asenshi's impaired translator who can't hear the difference between ずっこい and すごい.

Watch it raw.

How can you even mishear this what the fuck

I know that CR at least got this one right.

I can almost excuse "peppy-kari" and Cha, but fucking translating UPYO as anything and Teko's "explanation" was retarded.

>Now that they have killed fansubbing they have no motiviation to put decent subs.

People still think this is a joke.

Might as well grab the fastest release if both are shit.

>know Japanese well
>still use subs

Might as well just watch it raw and pretend you understand what's happening. You at least won't get mad at subtitles.

Isn't CR using the same people that were doing fansubs before that?
That said, something like in OP shouldn't happen even with those people. That's ridiculously bad.

I love it when funi and crunchyroll shoot the shit with each other on Sup Forums. You see it in every ongoing thread

Cha was still retarded because if the wanted to loaclize they could have gone all the way and translate it as "Advisor Tea" like in the manga and it still would have been more accuratw than the bullshit we got

I seriously hope this is bait
it's localization you goddamn retard
Did you expect them to write "His ears and tail are brown so I'll call him Cha"?
Can't you see this makes no goddamned sense in English?

If you understand Japanese then why do you even care what Crunchyroll does?

Fcuk off

That's not even a translation. People unironically pay for this? Christ.

Brief parenthetical translation notes were never a bad thing and I legitimately hate every single one of you faggots who memed them to death.

See

>I seriously hope this is bait
I too, hope your post is bait.

Nothing wrong with memes.

are you serious.... gtfo bastard you dont belong here

"His ears and tail are brown so I call him Brown"

Wow, that was so fucking hard

>are you serious.... gtfo
Kill yourself and take your own advice.

Brownie would sound like an actual pet name.

Fuck off retard

Man, I can't wait to see how bad CR memes up "Ane-chan-senpai" and "Otouto-kun-senpai"

These are acceptable alternatives.

But then you lose on the fact it's also because it's cry's "cha" too.

Browncha.

>His ears and tail are brown so I'll call him Cha?

How about "His ears and tail are brown so I'll call him Cha (Brown)"

7 characters solves the problem, and the viewer learns something.

Except that in the japanese line there isn't a single mention of it being due to its cry, the literal translation of the line would is

>笑うな言ってんだろう
>pic related

Well, at least there getting better right?

Okay, that's cancerous. Can't defend this.

What if it's brought up later in the show?

Just dump some TL notes and get on with it.

Or are TL notes no longer allowed?

It's never brought up, specially considering that his real name is revealed later.

CR is just retarded

>and the viewer learns something.

And that's what the memeffaggot lathced onto. This isn't school. I don't want to read a book. Who cares? Blah blah blah, fuck nice things.

>How about "His ears and tail are brown so I'll call him Cha (Brown)"

茶 - tea

No one takes them seriously after so many retards misused them so much in 2005-2008.

Also it didn't really need a TL note considering that it's just an easy line with a direct translation that even a Japanese 101 student could have gotten right

ITT: Yet another reason to learn Japanese.

Should use the manga as aid next time. Sad that even the alternative to CR is shit.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't part of the reason, Japanese puns tend to have double meanings.

What's that about Bijutsubu?

>笑うな言ってんだろう
Go learn Japanese before complaining about translations.

"His ears and tail are the color of tea so I'll call him Cha"

But there was absolutely no pun there, zero, nil, nada.

Also all of Amano's cats have weird cries and none of them are puns

"His ears and tail are the color of tea so I'll call him Cha (Tea)"

The viewer shouldn't be expected to know how to say tea in Japanese.

>translating Subaru's cut-off "Emilia" as "Rem".
No wonder it felt strange he was just calling for Rem and not Emilia.

Do you have the 中出しの喜び edit?

The preview at the end of the first episode has plain!Chiyo shouting "不審者" (suspicious person), the subs has it as "死んだ" (he's dead). Remembering the episode title and how she said it, it's an understandable mistake.

Unlike OP's autism this is actually a valid complaint. Anyone who was deaf or not paying attention probably didn't even realize he muttered Emi- first.

>shit
>one mistake, rest is good original TL
>admit to the mistake, unlike CR repeating the same thing every episode of every show

>>one mistake, rest is good original TL

How can you tell it's good if his ears are shit?

茶色 - light brown

Dumbass

That really wasn't half as bad as mishearing 不審者. This is somebody dealing in a not so perfect way with a situation that's actually problematic from the point of view of translation. Mishearing 不審者 is being incapable of translating standard dialog.

The show is shit so the subs only match the quality.

how fucking autistic are you? she was clearly trying to explain the name and crunchy decided to stick with the japanese names.

If you bothered learning Japanese you'd start finding so many flaws in every episode of every anime, regardless of subgroup, that you wouldn't even bother complaining anymore.

Yes, but CR's Amanchu has been particularly crap

They seem to be very inconsistent when it comes to honorifics.
When I was watching Free, they still used Ama-chan-sensei or whatever her name was.

Even if that was the case (it's not), the fact remains good shows get bad subs all the time. Pic related, typo. Don't even want to know the level of mistranlation per episode.

>Pic related, typo.
HOLY SHIT, A FUCKING TYPO. SUBS ARE RUINED FOREVER

>you'd start finding so many flaws in every episode of every anime, regardless of subgroup
Huh? Are you saying all you need to do is "learn" Japanese and suddenly you're more fluent and perceptive than every translator and TL checker there is?

>meme psycho
>good
It was already bad when it was called OPM.

No, I'm saying that all you need to do is start learning Japanese and you'll be able to see that these people do bad translations and general fuck ups all of the time.

>people pay for "professional" subs
>they're shit
If a book had typos every chapter, then it'd be fixed and reprinted before being sold.
And this is a translation, meaning if there's something as elementary as spelling passing through the quality check (if any), then grammatical errors and mistranslations are bound to be there too.
>It was already bad when it was called OPM
By no one, except false-flaggers and bandwagon Sup Forums crossposters.

this

>>people pay for "professional" subs
Well you clearly didn't.
>>they're shit
Yeah, there's ONE FUCKING TYPO. 0/10, would not spend 1 minute downloading again.
>then grammatical errors and mistranslations are bound to be there too.
So you don't actually know if there are actual issues with the subtitles. I'm assuming you know fuck all Japanese considering you can't tell and need to watch subs regardless of the amount of typos in them.

I've seen subs using furigana style TNs.

>_________(tea)
>I'll call him Cha

Would work

If you can do a better job, do it.

This isn't one of those "It's free so you have no right to complain" things either. I hate shitty fansubs and I know only the most elementary parts of the japanese language. It still bugs me when someone translates "ohayo" as "how are you?" or something equally retarded. All I'm saying is that if you actually have the capacity to do a better translation, then you should. It would be a great service to the fandom, and the hobby in general. We need better translators and editors working on this shit.

>If you can do a better job, do it.
People don't do it because they notice that it's actually a lot of work to do it on schedule.

>fallacy
>fallacy
>So you don't actually know if there are actual issues with the subtitles
No, I do, as evidenced by this thread, every other thread on the matter, and the amount of TLC fansubs have to do on the CR script. I don't need to smell dogshit to be able to spot it from a distance. Fuck off, CR shill.

>>fallacy
If you really cared so much about fallacies, you wouldn't be making a fallacy fallacy, but I digress.
>No, I do
Then maybe list the issues instead of speculating "there may or may not be mistakes".
>I don't need to smell dogshit to be able to spot it from a distance.
Or any evidence for that matter.
>Fuck off, CR shill.
Whatever makes you sleep at night.

>It still bugs me when someone translates "ohayo" as "how are you?" or something equally retarded.

Translating a common greeting as a common greeting with the same contextual meaning is perfectly fine, you sperg.

Not him but it bothers me too when what I hear doesn't match what I read.

You're one of those people that go "why did the subs say salisbury steak when the audio clearly said hamburger", aren't you?

>The viewer shouldn't be expected to know how to say tea in Japanese.
Cha is pretty much English though since the Indian version Chai has entered modern vernacular

I've been hearing a lot about these "chai lattes" and wondering what heathen would mix tea and coffee. Or is a chai latte just tea with milk?

No more like
>Why did they translate "nande" as "what"?

I know this is a troll thread, but come on.

Latte means milk so yeah, that would be the logical conclusion.

Yes they are

>Or is a chai latte just tea with milk?
It's milk spiced with hot tea, yea. It's some good shit, you're missing out.

This, depending on context it's better to have the subs say the thing that would sound more natural in English.

muh autism

But why don't they just call it chai then? In India and surrounding countries chai already implies milk, sugar and in some regions some spices blended in. Chai latte is beyond redundant.

There are completely different words for black ea sans milk or green tea.

Or
>Why did they translate "nande omae ga koko ni?" as "What are you doing here?" instead of "Why are you here?"
Did they really have to change it?

why don't you fucking autists start translating yourself if you're such pros at it

Because most people don't know all of that shit.

>It's milk spiced with hot tea, yea. It's some good shit, you're missing out.
I am not missing anything, I live in the region and have grown up with the drink.

Just confuses me that Americans call it a chai latte when the word chai already implies milk and sugar. First I thought it was some kind of heathenish chai+cafe blend thing, but if you guys are just using it in the Italian "cafe latte" sense then it is just silly. There is nothing Italian about the drink.

What's next? Chai au lait?

>in America, Caffe latte and Cafe au lait refers to two different things
That always hurt my brain

Yep.

Nothing wrong with those two translations. Trying to preserve the original grammar structure is the most retarded mistake a translator can make. Specially considering how completely incompatible English and Japanese grammar are. The translation process should go:

Japanese sentence -> Interpretation of meaning -> English sentence

With no attempt to preserve form.

No to say form shouldn't be a concern, but there's really no reason to try and make it as close to the original. In fact doing so usually results in the constant awkward English that plagues scanlations. Though that is also because of ESLs.

Post yfw gg is saving anime this year

>No to say form shouldn't be a concern, but there's really no reason to try and make it as close to the original. In fact doing so usually results in the constant awkward English that plagues scanlations. Though that is also because of ESLs.
It's usually because scanlations are done by people that don't really know Japanese

>translating
Boring, tiring, unrewarding.
>complaining
Fun.

Kuromukuro never

I don't think translations should be too literal but it seems that if it can be translated without being awkward you might as well leave it.

Not knowing Japanese shouldn't cause the English to sound weird, it should just make the translations inaccurate.

>Japanese sentence -> Interpretation of meaning -> English sentence
This, I think people that always call for ultra literal translations are unaware of how incompatible the two languages can be at times. It's truly an exercise in forcing a square peg into a round hole.