Why do people even like NGE

Doesn't seem to be anything special for at least half of it's run and it ends on a completely non-sensical run.

- It was (one of) the first anime in which the development of the characters was the focus of the anime.
- It explored what would actually happen if a 14 year old kid was given the responsibility to save the world.
- It is one of the few anime that have done symbolism right.
- It successfully deconstructed the mecha genre and revolutionized the entire anime industry
- It is arguable the most influential anime in history after Dragon Ball Z
- It managed to pull all of this off with arguably the shittiest budget in the history of the industry

Apart from points 1 and 2 it just seemed like a bunch of pretentious "2deep4u" bullshit

It's to blame for the current otaku culture. Eva is nothing but trash.

Maybe you're just stupid.

>- It is arguable the most influential anime in history after Dragon Ball Z
>- It managed to pull all of this off with arguably the shittiest budget in the history of the industry

These points are pretentious to you?

Just marathoned the first episode, it looks boring so far

That's exactly what is sounds like because Eva is literally the only anime that's "2deep4u".

Evangelion actually deserves the praise it gets for its symbolism.

very.

You haven't "marathoned" anything if you've just watched one episode.

Not the only, just the most popular.

>It didn't have a budget
>That's pretentious

>marathoned the first episode

I fail to see how EVA did "symbolism right". It's just BS biblical analogies which are nothing special.

There's little "2deep4u" in Evangelion. It's obscure because the worldbuilding isn't linear. But symbolism apart, once you've ordered everything there's little mystery left.

Perhaps he watched it during a run.

>It is one of the few anime that have done symbolism right.
Anno has too big of a boner for crosses in my opinion. The first angel shooting beams that split off into a cross made no sense.

Many of its specials points are just because it was made in 1995. It hasn't aged well.

But it looks cool.

So that's all that matters.

>It managed to pull all of this off with arguably the shittiest budget in the history of the industry
Citation please. Is one of the best looking shows ever made so claim that it had a shitty budget seems like a huge stretch.

inb4 last two episodes, that was do to production issues not the lack of budget.

holy shit congratulations, you are fucking stupid rofl, thanks for the kek autist.

Jewish propaganda aside, Eva's symbolism wasn't as much "in your face" but more of a "if you look back you'll see how this piece fits here and relates to that." When all the visual and dialogue references are put together, Evangelion starts to looks more like a retelling of the gnostic gospels than a story about robot fights.

Eva had minutes and minutes of just one still frame, like that infamous scene of Shinji grabbing Kawory and pic related. Hell, I can still hear the sounds of the cicadas. Often times, characters spoke with their mouth being covered so as to animate fewer frames.

>It is one of the few anime that have done symbolism right.
all of the symbolism is just shit anno thought was cool. i love NGE but c'mon there's really not much substance to the symbolism at all. it IS cool as fuck though, anno was right.

no argument on the rest of the points though

Gospels aren't interesting at all. Even then, who's Jesus? Who are the apostles? Why are the angels the one destroying Earth?

Re-telling the gospels doesn't seem like "deep" anyway, the gospels aren't very interesting anyway and while it would be a cool concept to retell them in robot fights I don't think that's what EVA did.

Hell it's pretty obvious the direction changed midway because the tone and plot scope in the first halfish of the show is drastically different from the one in the second half.

it's a classic technique: if you throw enough shit out there, you can connect it all back together later and it looks like you planned the whole thing
that's not a criticism

The original series made sense.

The rest, no.

People didn't like the ending so they hate on this

Seriously?

>Who's Jesus?
Kaworu
>Who are the apostles?
The original manga and now rebuild have 12 angels without counting Kaworu.
>Why are the angels the one destroying Earth?
They aren't trying to destroy the Earth, they're trying to destroy humanity.

Kaworu isn't Jesus, he's Lucifer.

Kaworu, killed by one of the 12 angels (Eva 01, born from Lilith) sacrificed himself for the survival of humanity.

Who, then, is Jesus if not him?

Let's get this out of the way first, I've never seen anyone form the actual production say that Eva had a small budget. It seem to all be conjecture by fans. That's why I asked for a source. Add to that how Eva doesn't look low budget at all I'm pretty sure its all just fanwank.

Minute long sequences, clearly artistic choice. Mouth being covered is pure bullshit. A moving mouth is the easiest and cheapest thing to anime. It's literally just 2 frames an inbetweener could make. Other than that Eva has a lot of "unnecessary" animation where people do stuff when it could easily be just stills. Apart form that the fights look amazing, so do the backgrounds and the setting, there are plenty of weird angels being animated through and on top of all that Eva never looks outright ugly (no QUALITY). It's far more likely Eva had an above average budget.

>It is one of the few anime that have done symbolism right

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Kaworu

Nice one chapter man. I waited 22 episodes for that bit.
>The original manga and now rebuild have 12 angels without counting Kaworu.

It's the anime that is popular, not the manga.

>They aren't trying to destroy the Earth, they're trying to destroy humanity.

Whatever. Why are they trying to destroy humanity? The apostles weren't angels anyway. It just doesn't make any sense, seems to me like you're putting meaning where there isn't.

It's a fact that Kaworu was born from Adam fusing with Lilin the day of the second impact. We have 12 angels (12 apostles, 12 tribes of Israel), that tried to destroy humanity which had occupied the earth (the jewish mesiah was supposed to free the hebrews from roman occupation). Instead, Kaworu sacrificed himself.

8deep16me man

>People think NGE is deep

Nigga read a psych 101 text book.

Great choreography, amazing direction, nice grittiness.

But yes, children characters are trash and existentialism and post-modernism is vomit inducing. Can't force myself to watch it again.

Reminder that the only reason it delved into the characters mind is because their budget got axed halfway through and they decided to make the rest of it about how depressed they were about not getting any profit, as confirmed by the team and the author themselves.

>- It was (one of) the first anime in which the development of the characters was the focus of the anime.
>- It explored what would actually happen if a 14 year old kid was given the responsibility to save the world.
>- It successfully deconstructed the mecha genre and revolutionized the entire anime industry
Oh shit, you got me. I took the bait.

Also symbolism is only there because bible shit sounds cool and gets people to talk about it.

Eva had decent budget up until the infamous Tang episode. Sponsors cut their support and their budget plummeted so production value went to shit. It was Anno's second shot at not being a failure so they cut corners using those stills, repeated frames, some lazy beams and generally cut down on fight animations heavily, along with backgrounds and the infamous black screens.
Sure they did it in an artistic way but it was hiding the fact that they were cutting corners so they wouldn't go under after the show was done. They had average budget and then it went full artistic 2deep4u symbolic because of that.

You can look that up easily. I think it's even on the wiki and there's a few videos (with interviews) on it too.

>12 Angels
there's far more than 12 angels.

He's literally called Kaworu, Adam, not Jesus. Fuck off secondary.

I went through what I could find but never was it stated that Eva had low budget or that budget was cut. What defiantly did happen was the rewrite of the entire second half of the show during the production, which explains all of the issues you listed. Eva had money trouble but not because the were given a low amount at the start, but because they fucked up (or anno made artistic choices that meant scrapping what was already made) during the production which costed them mainly time and also money.

That's what I meant yes, my memory was a bit hazy on the details. They fucked up and had to compensate with hiding lower budget (during the second half) with the artistic choices Eva is known for.

>does symbolism right
Anno openly said it was there solely because it looked cool

>- It was (one of) the first anime in which the development of the characters was the focus of the anime.
hahahaha no
>- It explored what would actually happen if a 14 year old kid was given the responsibility to save the world.
hahahaha no
>- It is one of the few anime that have done symbolism right.
AHAHAHAHA ABSOLUTELY NOT
>- It successfully deconstructed the mecha genre and revolutionized the entire anime industry
kill yourself
literally just kill yourself
>- It is arguable the most influential anime in history after Dragon Ball Z
you are completely clueless.
>- It managed to pull all of this off with arguably the shittiest budget in the history of the industry
nah

Kaworu is literally Jesus, retard.

>this whole fucking post
I really hope this is bait.

>I have literally seen ten anime

Agreed

Nigga you dumb.

Jesus was called the second Adam.
Kaworu is supposed to be Jesus.

People are so caught up on the religious imagery that they fail to see the abundant meaningful symbolism in NGE.

Gendo's glasses.
The moon.
The train.
The telephone.
Misato's cross necklace in EoE.
The dirac sea.

this is just the obvious stuff I can remember

People hate on it because shitlords on Sup Forums overrate it to the extreme.

- It was (one of) the first anime in which the development of the characters was the focus of the anime.
MS Gundam,
- It explored what would actually happen if a 14 year old kid was given the responsibility to save the world.
MS Gundam, Devilman, SR Ideon
- It is one of the few anime that have done symbolism right.
Source?
- It successfully deconstructed the mecha genre and revolutionized the entire anime industry
Zambot 3, Space Runaway Ideon, Devilman(Shonen Wise), Getter Robo Go Manga, etc.
- It is arguable the most influential anime in history after Dragon Ball Z
Astro Boy, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Gundam, etc.
- It managed to pull all of this off with arguably the shittiest budget in the history of the industry
Proof?

>overrate
Eva is clearly one of the best anime ever made so I see no reasons for people not to hold it in high regard. If shit eaters are unable to appreciate it that their loss.

It got popular because it tried to make up for it's lack of budget with unique for the time imagery and telling a narrative where all the people were fundamentally overly flawed individuals.

It falls apart when you realize that Gendo was a retard who couldn't even manipulate Shinji into being a good and complacent pilot by pretending to be a good Dad. That most of the terrible shit that goes wrong with him could have been easier if he was willing to pretend to care and don't go saying that it's not in his personality, because he manipulated Ritsuko and her mother this way. He could have manipulated Shinji just as easily.

It fails under scrutiny but is still enjoyable to watch.

>all these people talking about shitty budgets
I don't think you've seen an actual shitty budget.

Wasn't it part of his plan to coerce Shinji into fucking up everything though so he would accept Instrumentality

He could have just as easily forced Shinji to be emotionally dependent on him and then fuck him up that way.

Play him like a puppet and then tell him to make daddy proud, or simply just start killing off all his other contacts in easily manipulated ways.

I recognized the importance of all of this though.

As for the religious imagery, most of it is heavily invested in Gnostic and Kabbalah themes, though Anno does have a tendency to take a handful of key symbols and spin his own twist on them. Crosses seem to symbolize the coming-together or interaction of two individuals, for example.

>I recognized the importance of all of this though.
>It's just BS biblical analogies

You clearly didnt and allowed yourself to be drawn away by the memes

But he did force Shinji to be emotionally dependent on him. Shinjis highest point in the series prior to Ep 26 was when Gendo praised him.

The only scrutiny is you not understanding Gendo's character. Manipulating shinji is irrelevant since Gondo's plan was never about letting Shinji to make the decision but for Gendo himself to decide how instrumentality would play out.

>How can so many people have different taste than me?

By the way...

You can't fully appreciate Eva and see how deep the rabbit hole goes if you don't read Freud.

I've been studying Freud on my pos graduation nad the amount of study Anno put in his work and all the references present in Eva were even more blatant than my more shallow knowledge in psychoanalysis permitted me to realize.