Why does edowardo want his old limbs back?

why does edowardo want his old limbs back?
automail is cool as fuck

Because it's creepy, impractical and shameful.

pretty much this, its a constant reminder of how he fucked up by trying to 'play god'.

so he solves this by playing god some more

>impractical
Not when he's fucking Winry, probably gets her moist in seconds

i always get annoyed when she throws wrenches
like that can kill a guy you know

But is he isn't he still somewhat playing god by trying to regain his limbs?

MILK

WHO ARE YOU CALLING CHIBI-SAN

its a pain in the ass if he travels in an extremely cold/hot climate

Because it hampers his growth.

He can dodge but chooses not to.

he's from central europe theres no extreme heat or cold there
bit late for that
you can also choose to suffer serious head trauma

implying that he cant travel in places outside of Eastern europe.

he wouldnt if he wasnt trying to get his arm and leg back

also he goes to ishbal, the middle of the desert, and doesnt seem to have problems

Masturbation with a metal are isn't fun.

>not fapping with your left
At some point you need to anyway.

Left hand faps are the best.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

His line of work requires clean hands. Leaving traces of cum on the left hand is a safety hazard.
Remember, transmutate before you masturbate.

There is nothing to discuss about the reasoning of anything in the manga. There literally isn't.

You can't feel anything with that.

Also as many people have said already it's pretty impractical for a lot of situations.

Ed probably cared more about getting his brother's body back above all. I mean, in the end, his leg is still Automail, and he didn't even get his arm back by his own volition.

Didn't he not even really care about that anymore? When Ed and Al are asked about what they're trying to accomplish, both put the other's predicament over their own.

Like said, Ed getting back his limbs was never really the plot. Al's situation was always the focus and Ed only got back his arm so he could punch Father in his dumb fucking face.

Doesn't it hurt like hell detaching/reattaching automail?

Yeah. Apparently Ed was one of Granny's few patients who didn't faint.

yeah, but that is one of the least problems. Not only does it need to be done only every other year(and that only happens because Ed was still growing up and damaged it frequently) but also the pain is only for a second when it gets attached.

You have no sensation to touch the girl's boobs with metal arms. No mention poor balance, inpractical, high price maintenance ect.. It sucks and a protection on a real arm would do the same job for fighting.

Well your nerves have to be connected somehow.

He more-so wants Al's body back. Getting his limbs back is just an optional extra, because his automail is a constant reminder of his stupidity.
Brotherhood even ends with Ed keeping the leg as-is.

Funny they hadn't discovered anesthetics apparently.
Or did the nerves need to be active, for them to know the automail connected right?

I want to say be refused anaesthesia, but it's been ages so I don't remember

how so?

How the fuck would such an arm attach to flesh? Actually, how does any artificial limb attach to flesh? I guess bolts but I mean, how does that work?

Humans can regrow limbs? Please hand your research into the closest medical centre.

>why does edowardo want his old limbs back?
SHIN! SHIN! SEI! KYUU! SAI!

What is "Playing God" becomes very subjective once we enter the realm of science and medicine. (In this universe, we count Alchemy as Science)
Some people say that Stem Cell research, or some forms of Genetic Engineering is "Playing God".

If we wanted to leave everything to "God", we would be a very primitive society without an understanding of anything regarding the natural world, and you would likely die of flu.

Have a mesh on the inside of the coupling that your flesh grows into. Alternatively glue, bolting the coupler to bone, or anime magic.

Wrenches cant hurt you if you have automail.

Based on how we never see him take it off it is probably coupled directly to the bone with a plug for nerves.

For removable ones they usually have some combination of a cup and straps there's a lot of different ways to do it most of which are itchy as fuck.

But don't you need electronics and shit to make the robot-part interact with the nerves? Automail seem far to advanced compared to every other technology in this setting. Well, maybe aside from that movie that followed FMA:B where you get a glimpse at another nation that looks a bit more advanced than Amestria.

If I took his arm and leg would he die?

it would be extremely painful

He's a little guy

Yes automail makes little sense. They dont seem to know about sterilization or surgical steel. So by all rights the place where they put on the automail the skin should just be rotting away. And then there is the interfacing between nerves and steel which could work if they use alchemy. But they dont seem to do that.

4'11 as a 15 year old. I almost feel bad for him.

I always suspended my disbelief on that but I guess once there is no real answer in the series.

I would watch it even if he had one junk arm and leg with limited abilities but it is simpler to animate a person with symmetry.

The real answer is probably "I dunno alchemy or something".

>automail works by the power of friendship
I laff'd

They probably know about sterilization and surgical steel is just a fancy name for corrosion resistant steel like stainless.
Also the alloy parts are the outside ones that aren't directly in contact with flesh so the only part that needs to be stainless is the main screw/shaft they put into the bone.

>The real answer is probably "I dunno alchemy or something".
but no automail worker is an alchemist. The only saving grace of the automail is that its introduced at the start. So it is not some asspull later in the story when someone loses an arm and its like, its okay dude we got this super tech shit.

True, at first. However his conversation with Truth at the end revealed his epiphany- that with or without alchemy he was a human this whole time and it was his arrogance that was his downfall.

he wouldn't leave regrowing his limbs back to human transmutation, but the philosopher's stone

The explained part is is just taking a bundle of wires and a bundle of nerves and plugging them into each-other which we see in the show.

The only question left is assuming that the signal can be directly used to control electric motors. What is the power source?

Friendship and brotherhood

The nerves need to be active, since they're how the automail is connected and controlled.

The incredible pain comes from the fact that when an automail is plugged in, it connects to all the nerves at once. Like imagine the pain from an exposed nerve from a broken tooth being touched, except it's every single nerve in your limb.

They're powered by the electrical impulses from the users nervous system

That doesn't make any sense. The electrical impulses from our nervous systems is barely enough to be noticed. They don't have the power to move an arm. In normal bodies, these impulses trigger muscle cells to burn ATP.
But the electrical impulses can't "power" a mechanical arm.

Probably also they use a 3.5mm headphone jack and it shorts over its terminal every time you plug and unplug it.

>Thinking nerve pulses have enough voltage to move shit.
HAHAHAHAHA
There has to be some sort of amplifier which means there needs to be a power source.

Hey man, I didn't invent the things!

Perhaps there is some sort of power cell or pressurized chamber, and the impulses are merely for directing the flow of power? It can't be hydraulic because I think that would be noticed the countless times his limbs get blown to bits.

They have limbs now where they use the severed neurons to predict the movement of the prosthesis. In Ed's case, they would have to surgically combine the metal to the bone to make it as stable in the show. Despite the author's laziness, he created an accurate representation of how we managed to manipulate neurons.

Possibly, I mean it wouldn't be safe but I bet you could power an artificial arm on a lump of plutonium.

Batteries would have to be charged and power-cells would have to be replaced and it is technically possible.

Given the energy output of alchemy it is not unreasonable to assume that they can use it to directly charge an energy cell.
Plus even ignoring automail the existing technology in the show is post radio and seems to have abundant electricity.
Even in liore which is a low tech city they have radio and microphones and electricity.

>author's laziness, he
I thought it was a woman

Winry was a pretty shit girl all around. I fucking hate wrench girls.

Well in the first movie from the first series, it shows that he had to "pull start" his automail arm. That said it may beven that that was because it was a new model hohenheim put together for him or something, it has been a long time and I can't remember. But it seemed odd that physics worked better in the "real" world, but automail, which does not run on alchemy, had to be replaced with a plain prosthetic.

Because he's a fucking idiot and breaks it all after every fight almost.

I STILL don't get the ending to FMA

What was with that 1+1 bullshit

Bypassing equivalent exchange by using a chuck of your soul

Winry is a goddess of muscle and purity.

it's also painful as fuck

for you.

In their universe however Alchemy (science) can clearly not regrow limbs otherwise they wouldnt have automail. As such using the power of "god" through philosophers stones etc is playing god.

Trans.

>that could kill a guy you know
>taking slapstick comedy seriously

Hiromu is an actual woman.

underrated

>pretty much this, its a constant reminder of how he fucked up his younger brother by trying to 'play god'.

Ed doesn't care about his limbs

Does he have a mechanical dick too?