Anno has redeemed himself

It's official, Anno's new Godzilla is a masterpiece judging from the first reviews:

oricon.co.jp/special/49146/
cinematoday.jp/page/A0005055

The man is finally starting to show what he's capable of when he actually gives a fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0MdUxKptN8k
oricon.co.jp/news/2075319/full/
youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg
chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-reboot-a-horrifying-mess/
twitter.com/richardroeper/status/753060397238726657
neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-4660.html
youtu.be/3WkxVHyzivg
youtu.be/nmyJ-fpFsWs
youtu.be/66m12z_O3kw
youtu.be/6kBK0BvM39Y
dailymotion.com/video/x4jwo7j
youtu.be/_iLNrCxdqG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just what you'd expect from the master.

How is Godzilla still a thing in 2016.

How are tripfags still a thing in 2016?

What does it say?

Beautiful cinematography and special fx, great characterization, and a solid story that goes into lots of realistic detail about how Japan would deal with a natural disaster. Lots of allusions to the 2011 tsunami/earthquake/nuclear crisis too.

Anno hit it out of the fucking park, basically.

So when is it released?
And it doesn't have NGE references does it? I already know about the Godzilla NERV logo

Fuck YOU. Ghidorah soon.
youtube.com/watch?v=0MdUxKptN8k

>Reviewers
>Judging a movie on Reviews

Ah, I guess we should all go watch the new Ghostbusters then.

>Ah, I guess we should all go watch the new Ghostbusters then.
reviewers shit on it mostly

>Halfway through the film, Godzilla curls into a ball and ponders if what he's doing is really right. "I've always identified with Godzilla" Anno laughs, "Showing his sensitive side is something I've always wanted to do."

Huh? Sounds like shit.

Hopefully it makes up for that atrocious design.

>73% Certified Fresh

How is Godzilla curling into a ball sound like shit? It is pondering, hiding from the world for a moment to gather its thought. It is brilliant.

>judging a movie on audience reaction

Fuck you Warcraft was horrible.

Of course. Tokusatsu is where Anno belongs. Eva was a mistake.

Lelouch was a mistake

>beautiful
>special fx
>Japan

Is that in Japanese standards?

73% ain't that good user.

It's ugly as fuck, but I like it since he really looks like a monster born of a nuclear bomb.

Still prefers the Fatzilla though, he really feels like a monster that could swipe a city.

A godzilla cartoon? Lame.

I'm hard for the OST.

Shut the fuck up Lelouch. Godzilla is dope.

where is eva REEEEEEEEEEEEE4.0

Never

It looks like an animatronic parade float.

Fucking lame.

Says someone who reads Bleach

I expected better of you, Lelouche.

And?
Bleach was a mistake too

Since when you were under that impression?

Sasuga

He will do it
oricon.co.jp/news/2075319/full/

>Of course. Tokusatsu is where Anno belongs. Eva was a mistake.

He needs to direct Super Sentai

Movies are supposed to reach 75% before becomeing "certified fresh". Some of the top members of RT were shilling the movie hard and are giving it the certification early to promote it. There's been other dubious shit around the top critic reviews on the site for it as well.

>"I've always identified with Godzilla" Anno laughs
as expected from the master

youtube.com/watch?v=M89VLZgo1Vg

Is the composer the same one behind Evangelion?

Yep, Shiro Sagisu is doing the music.
He's also currently doing the OST for CLANGserk

Expected

Fuck off. King of the monsters will always be thing

It doesn't look that bad. I hope the acting doesn't suck.

from the first trailer/teaser it looked like absolute shit, like it was straight from the 80's with just "slightly" better monster costumes

Shit taste confirmed.

I don't read rune and translate is worth fuck all, where does it say the move is good?

>straight from the 80s is bad
Whats it like to taste nothing but shit?

>Super Sentai
>not Ultraman
It would be perfect. Full circle.

Is this worth getting into, phamalans?
The early films look kinda shit, should I just skip them?

This Godzilla's only minus?

It looks like its arms are a little bit too short, but the rest is gorgeous.

Godzilla as a whole is worth it...just avoid The Son of Godzilla.

Worst Godzilla movie ever.

So he feels responsible for that near nuclear meltdown a few years ago?

It was at 34% or something, but then RT removed reviews to bump up because sjw money.

When is the movie coming out?

10 days

US release when?

fucking faggot

But based Richard Roeper tore Ghostbusters a new asshole and laughed at the SJWs who got mad at him for doing so.
chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-reboot-a-horrifying-mess/
twitter.com/richardroeper/status/753060397238726657

It's mostly Amerifats who are responsible for the popularity of retarded nonsense like godzilla or superheroes. Their poor taste drains funding from actually deep and respectable franchises.

Picrelated exemplifies the American mindset perfectly.

I'm glad Anno is finally working on something that he can dork out over instead of just making Eva sequels for cash even though everything he had to say through Eva he's already said.

That said: I dunno how I feel about using men in suits in a Godzilla movie with a serious tone in 2016. It's possible for men-in-suits kaiju tokusatsu stuff to be cool and fun, but I dunno if you can make it genuinely scary.

That said if it's not meant to be outright scary then it should be fine. Even in that case though I expect it to do horribly with critics in the west because because not even the best western film critics understand this sort of thing. They assume that anything that's not (by their own misunderstanding of the appeal of kaiju films) "so-bad-it's good" is inherently bad. The west is far more obsessed with realism and "the illusion of life" so they can't understand why one could find men-in-suits action unironically enjoyable and cool because it's not realistic.

But that's wrong, you fucking retard

West can go suck a dick, who cares.

I'm not even saying its bad I'm just surprised people still care for it in 2016.

I mean it was still a popular thing when I was born so I thought people would have moved on.

Drop the trip, consider self immolation like really consider it and bow down to the King of Monsters.

会見冒頭に深々と頭を下げた。
At the beginning of the interview (he) lowered his head and said silently:

「最初に謝っておきたいことがあります」
"First I want to make an apology",

と切り出し
(he) started his speech

『エヴァ』のファンの方には本当に本当に本当にお待たせしています。
"to all the fans of Evangelion, (I) have really, really, really kept waiting.

あれから4年。
(It's been) four years since then.

ほんとにすみません
I am truly sorry.

その分こっちも頑張ってやってましたので、
Because we give our best on this part,

お許し下さいとは言いませんが、
I beg for forgiveness that (we) haven't said anything (on that matter) -> basically "for the lack of updates"

少しでもご満足いただけるものになればと、
even if this will only be a small gratification,

頑張ってやりました」と話した。
we give our best" he said.

Lmao the first butthurt fatmaster has appeared, with ad hominems no less.

So, there was an actual time when Gojira really but really scared people? I thought it was always about immersion and having fun watching Tokusatsu.

I actually prefer the practical effects of the men in suits tactic with CG as an aide. It makes Godzilla and other kaiju look more lifelike whereas when it's 100% CGI, it breaks the immersion.

The original was pretty much a horror film about the dangers of nuclear weapons.

The best possible comparison is Roger Ebert recommending the 90s Gamera reboot but saying he liked it ironically and as a nostalgic thing and thus giving it 4 stars because "it's objectively bad but fun" because the special effects were not believable and it was 'too silly'

Meanwhile kaiju/toku fans thought it was an unironically great movie and brought Gamera to new heights.
I'm just bothered by westerners being so obsessed with fiction being "real and believable". The main appeal of a lot of anime too is that it's aware of being a drawing and has fun with it. There is some 'illusion of life' type anime that looks good but it's in the minority and I hate it when mainstream audiences say that's "the only good anime".

Why Hollywood faggots directors and actors don't start their speeches with apologies? People would go to see shitty things like fembusters, if the entire cast apologise before the screening.

You are such a faggot, holy shit

Source? It wasn't in the two articles OP posted.

>Anno's new Godzilla

W-what?

They wouldn't have budget to pull an acceptable CGI Godzilla for international markets anyway, unless they heavily restricted his appearances.
Japanese local box office is smaller than the American one, and they can't expect much from the international distribution compared to Hollywood movies.

Have you been living under a rock or something?

I believe its in this.

neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-4660.html

Yeah the first film was dead serious and genuinely meant to be scary and the second was sort of just a cheap not-many-fucks-given sequel. By the mid 60s those types of effects already became hard to get scared by so from Mothra onwards it just became about having fun instead.

But dumb 'murricans think they're made as "ironic, so bad-it's good shit to laugh at" which is as fucking stupid as a Japanese person saying The Muppets is bad because "the special effects are awful, you can tell Kermit is a puppet"

>I'm just bothered by westerners being so obsessed with fiction being "real and believable".

I guess that's why he have things like Cristopher Nolan and tons of brown in every videogame. Weren't the 80's pretty much different? What happened?

And I think maybe the point was the fear of the nuclear threat and not a man in a monster suit.
Is what it bothers me about millennials audience, not even the children have the ability to just enjoy inmersion through a not over the top special effects movie or tv show. We are going to reach a point when they would bitch if they find out a movie was filmed without green screen.

Nuance of the translation is a bit off, and this bit is plain wrong:

>お許し下さいとは言いませんが、
>I beg for forgiveness that (we) haven't said anything (on that matter)

It's
>I won't ask you to forgive me

youtu.be/3WkxVHyzivg
youtu.be/nmyJ-fpFsWs
youtu.be/66m12z_O3kw
youtu.be/6kBK0BvM39Y

I hate that new Godzilla design, it's almost as bad as Emmerich shit.

Didn't liked that last american one but it was still better.

I appreciate older entries, even goofy ones but Heisei should be the only way, it was perfection.

This is the tail from a model.

That's pretty cool.

>don't talk to me or my son ever again

OH this one I had no idea it was by fucking Anno.

The 80s were weird for everyone and an exception. This shit traces back to classic art. The west always wanted to emulate reality while Japan embraced stylization and not mattering if the viewer knows they're looking at a drawing if the drawing is inventive and appealing and interesting to look at.

Takashi Murakami might be pretentious about some things but he's right that Kanada-style animation in modern anime feels like a natural evolution of the style found in old Japanese art liek Hokusai paintings. Mainstream "omgsoepic" American feature animation would never animate something like Kanada's legendary fire dragon in Harmagedon because it's too open about being a series of drawings. Since Disney's "rules" were set, high-budget western animation has had the same "imitate life" ideals as old western art.

How did you not know about this? Where the fuck do you live?

>dailymotion.com/video/x4jwo7j
youtu.be/_iLNrCxdqG4

Why do people take issue with the new design? It's meant to be Godzilla come back to life so he's meant to look fucked up and zombie-like; I think it does its job.

can he come up with something thats new instead of just rehashing old stuff? or is that beyond his abilities

I'd just like to say that Godzilla Resurgence is a lame title.

Hold the fucking phone, why does it have a face

forgot pig

Is suppose to be demonic and grimdark, it's just Anno going edgy

Does western animation even exist outside CG anymore?

We're not gonna get a "this fucker ate the last Zilla" or something>

>It's meant to be Godzilla come back to life

NANOMACHINES!

TV animation obviously, mainstream feature animation not as common; generally the more 'artsy' stuff that's not Disney/Dreamworks-mainstream.

And "muh illusion of life" is the reason. Richard Williams has that attitude and he thinks 3DCG is just a natural step forward for animation even though making 2D animation was his entire fucking career.

It was weird to see him say that cuz The Thief and the Cobbler had some stuff that took advantage of being 2D that wouldn't work in 3D, but I guess the "muh illusion of life" old man ideals trump that.

>Eva 3+1 will actually come out