Urban Fantasy harems or Magical Battle school harems

Which ones are worse?

Magic school is worse.

Magical academies, definitely.

Magical school harems are far worse. At least Urban harems are kinda like pokemon in the sense that you travel to different location to get a new girl

To me, the fantasy harems are worse.

Magical school harems are at least harems with some other shit thrown on to it.

The fantasy genre has been completely ruined with this harem horseshit.

>Harem

Harem anything is absolute fucking garbage

By far magical academies.

Imagine a Pokemon Go with girls and dates instead of Pokemon.

Which of these is which? They are both urban, both battle and both school.

Magic + school vs magic school. StB is urban fantasy, Rakudai is battle academy.

Both, I rather have my Fantasy Adventure Harem that don't stay in a town forever.

ehhh for so far i know rakudai isn't a harem AT ALL
they begin dating at the end of volume one.

Easily battle school harems.

Nothing's worse than anime's fetishization of school life.

Urban fantasy >>>>> Magic academy

If you want to have teenagers engaged in magical battles, having a magical battle school is probably the most lazy way to go about it.

Urban fantasy >magic battle academy shit.

that's the same thing, retard

already exists. it's called Sekirei

OP is obviously talking about fantasy genre. Asura Cryin', Fate/stay night, Strike the Blood, 11eyes, Night Wizard, and the likes are urban fantasy.

>remembering Night Wizard
I thought I was the only one.

All i know is that STB is pure horse garbage with noting redeeming other than hot looking animu girls but that don't mean shit when i can find that anywhere.

The MC is literally GAY.
>hot women ask to stay with him and implied fucking
>runs away

Not to mention this bitch as pussy can never fight alone without that bitch always fucking there with that cheesy as fuck line. This was the first time i wanted to strangle the fuck out of a bitch so much.

Dark times. There aren't that many of us left who have been around for that long. DREAM. DREAM. DREAM.

school
they always spend too much time showing fodders doing shit just to remind everyone that all the students have powers, but no one cares about fodders fighting fodders

>Which ones are worse?
Who cares? Isekai harems are becoming far more popular in the land of Zipang anyway.

And nothing stops the isekai train.

Strike the senpai characters don't go to school to study magic.

Then to double down on lazy, have a tournament to see who's the best magical battler at the school

I don't remember the name but there actually is an app like that.

Rakudai isn't urban. StB setting is much more closer to real than Rakudai's

It's hard for me to think of anything worse than battle academy shit, even isekai honestly doesn't annoy me nearly as much

Reason for being harem isn't that they started dating so fast but no other girl tries to get him.

Anything with school + harem = shit .

I'd take battle academy over isekai any day; at least battle academies differ in execution.

Any kind of isekai has to be so MC-centric that it overwhelms the setting and secondary characters. At least in battle academy, there's the potential for a memorable setting and non-MC characters.

>isekai worse than school harems
At least isekai show you something different with a fantasy world .
Battle harems are even more MC centric than isekai and 99% of times it all about school tournament.
Not saying isekai is good , it is just i got tired of school bullshits.

She is still my waifu

That's some dedication user. She was the one good thing that came out of that show.

>magic
>harem
it's shit

No its not, everything in that chart is magic battle school harem, even the chart title says so.

Urban fantasy harem is close, but the difference is that the characters don't go to specialized schools for battle magic. For example Campione, DXD, Maou testament, Dakara H, Date a live...

They have some things on common indeed but they are different enough to tell them apart.

My problem with isekai is that the story has to follow the MC so closely since they're the only thing that connects the reader to the world (and they automatically become a self-insert).

I find myself generally able to enjoy bad school harems, but there are definitely some too trashy for my tastes (Mahou Sensou is probably on my shortlist for worst anime of all time).

Not to mention IS is absolute trash and probably one of the more prolific series.

Maybe it's just that people seem to recognize that a lot of battle academies are trash, whereas people can't seem to tell that isekais are bad.

Yeah, I had a set of pictures I got on a japanese board with her in tracksuit living comfy life in small apartment...but I lost them and never found the set again...worst day of my life

I think the only problem of Isekai is the current saturation of works in that line. We always had isekai and never were a problem or a genre specially disliked.

Is just the current saturation what made people hate it. Like every fashion will fade in some years.

Maybe that's it, but part of my problem with Isekais is that they actively try to force self-insertion more than the other genres that do it more passively.

"Onii-Sama is perfect" is a lot more tolerable to me than "This fat, lazy otaku now gets mad video game skills," because in the latter case they're trying to make a direct appeal to the intended reader that they are the MC of the work. At least in other works the self-insertion isn't as forced.

>Maybe it's just that people seem to recognize that a lot of battle academies are trash, whereas people can't seem to tell that isekais are bad.
Nah they're at least better than battle academy. Thats for sure.
Also maybe you have shit taste who knows?

My problem with isekais is that they actively try to make you the superhero, when what I actually wanted was a story and not a power trip.

Magical school harems by a wide margin. Harems are shit in general. Add in cliche fantasy elements and you have a recipe for disaster.

And the battle academy stuff doesn't?

You are dumbass user the fact that you say that about Mahouka
>"Onii-Sama is perfect" is a lot more tolerable to me
>My problem with isekais is that they actively try to make you the superhero
Is hilarious....
About 99% of the battle harems make MC the hero, the ultimate Self-Insert like you already mentioned. Majority of them are even worse than the shitty Neet Otaku most of the time since they get like 0 development.
>they actively try to force self-insertion more than the other genres that do it more passively.
You really don't read much Narou WNs do you?

You have stuff like Daraku No Ou, Yojou Senki etc which are COMPLETELY different from each other. Isekai has actual variety unlike the trash that is battle academy.

I don't know how Japanese mind works but I definetively have more problems emphatizing/selfinserting with a neet otaku that is choosen to travel to other world than with a random villager from a fantasy world.

And traditional Isekai (a random highschooler is transported to another world) worked fine for me, didn't have much trouble with the MC.

But this current otaku neet...its hard to me to emphatize with the character because when you are watching or reading is as if you had someone by your side all the time shouting "SEE IS LIKE YOU" "SEE HE PLAYES GAMES, LIKE YOU" "DID YOU GET THAT REFERENCE TO THE GAME YOU PLAYED" and I feel like "shut up and let me see what happens".

To be fair isekai put lot more effort into making you identify yourself with the hero.

Magical academy and urban fantasy have a generic highschooler that is from that world. While in isekai they take a guy that is not just your average guy but an otaku neet and literally pick him and drop him into the fantasy.

I understand for some people this won't make a huge difference when it comes to like or dislike the work but is certainly a difference in the formula.

Not all isekais are about neets , there are many about salarymen , militars, some that are basically superhumans at the level of gods before being transferred etc etc.
For school battle harem they are literally all about average looking highschooler who ends up being a special snowflake.

Magical Battle school is worse. 9 out of 10 cases their outfits look lame, I'll take generic but cute school uniforms any day.

I guess and probably explain better why I don't like isekais; I feel like at every turn you're assaulted by some kind of reference as to how the world's like some other work or game; in Gate the MC constantly goes on about how much like things are like the mango, and even in situations where the hero is unwillingly subjected to his reality, he often refers to other works to describe or interact with his new reality (like shieldbro).

I guess to frame it in Tolkien's critique of Coleridge, I'd rather be subject to a completely external fantasy, rather than to try and suspend my disbelief.

I hate all these genres (and most LNs in general), but I hold a special place in my heart for these isekais that constantly assail the reader with real-world references and reminders that "the MC is just like you XXXXD"

>While in isekai they take a guy that is not just your average guy but an otaku neet and literally pick him and drop him into the fantasy.

This is false though. Isekai have very different formulas
Have you read stuff like
>Kenkyo Kenjitsu-Otome reincarnation type of series, most of them with female MCs
>Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki-town management, kingdom restoration type of series and most of them don't have any otakus or neet MCs.
>Goblin Kingdom, Re:Monster(This is shit though),Kumo and so on-Monster reincarnation type isekai/survival
and many more.
What you are talking about it is just 1 formula. Besides it's not even used that much and half of the time MC is neither a neet nor an otaku. See Legend of the White Kingdom, Yobidasareta Satsurikusha(Edgy but hey, Psycho MC) and so on.

>urban vs magical
>Find isekai discussion

Isn't it obvious that isekai harems do the self-insert thing way better? So what's there to discuss? There's a reason why they're more popular after all. They can fulfill wishes in many different ways and please a large number of other people as a result.

They are like a peak of self satisfaction and are able to do what battle harems do 10 times better. They simply outclass them. The End.

What if I don't want self-inserts?

Then you don't read Harem.