Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1608

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
dekinai.neocities.org/

Previous Thread:

>last /djt/ post was almost 2 hours ago
That's kind of scary.

I decided to come back to these threads after a few months, is /djt/ finally dying?

i hope so weve been trying

so if I was typing this word out how do I do the "dot" part? ive never seen this "radical" in any other word...

Sort of. We've had fewer beginners coming in recently and they really are the lifeblood of the thread. I think there were a lot of NYRfriends at the start of the year, I remember a bunch of people talking about their journey through Core2k a few months ago but they've mostly slowly died down. As more people increase in proficiency the less they need to lean on DJT for occasional help, and the more time they spend just reading on their own.

To all my intermediate homodachis: one way to help this is to come to DJT not just to ask questions, but to share what you're reading and how and why you like it! Sharing is caring!

/

nakaten -> なかてん -> 中点 -> ・

holy fuck I didn't know this

>holy fuck I didn't know this
Come to djt -> learn new things
I didn't know your method either

>not testing what your keys type out when in jap mode

Today I read a whole chapter of Nanatsuiro Drops from start to finish! It took about five hours. The final character count was around 34k. If we estimate 4 Japanese characters as equaling one English word, that gives me an estimated English WPM of around 30, so around 1/8th of my standard English reading speed. This is my first non-Hanahira VN but I can already tell I'm improving in comprehension and speed greatly. I fell for the "read more" meme and it's working, I recommend that user tries it too!

Now onto chapter 6.

御目出当

」「・¥=-
..。。..、。;’/*---

dear diary, im a gay weeaboo

Man, fuck 関西弁

どうしたんや

It's basically another language. The only good thing to come from it is なんでやねん

Production Challenge:

Explain to the leader of your after school club why his/her idea for a bunkasai booth is terrible.

これはダメ
やり直す
Production is hard.

学校でソープランドやるのはまずいでしょ

おい、このやろう! あの文化祭はすごいクソ考えだ! この俺様はも帰るぞ。。。

別にいいじゃん

なぜ却下されてしまうのか

use imperative
don't need やるの

本当には興味がある人は少ないから
普通に誰も私と話さないよ
さびしい

なんて
確かに私を返事する人が少ないだがあまり気にしちゃいない
この無意味なコメントまだ続けるつもりがある
たとえ誰も読んでいない

私にとって練習だから

申し訳ありません、部長様
すごくいいアイデアたと思いますけれど、この学校の庶民には相応しくありません
ですので服を着ってください

>部長様

>たと思います
what did he mean by this

>瞬く
>またたく
>しばたく
>まばたく
>めばたく
>めたたく
>しばたたく
Why?

たぶん間違ていた「た」は「だ」と思うよ

ごめん、スマホを使ってるから、まだ慣れてないよ

>◯
>▽
>▽
>
>▽
>▽

>本当には興味がある人は少ないから
死ぬしか何も欲しくない

Why does the guide link default to suggesting view?

えと、お前も?
ニートとして(引退したって方がいいよ)それは普通な感じだと思う
けどね、もしお前が死ねば誰かがさびしくになる、たぶん
だから頑張ってね、もう一日を生きろ、このクソ世界で

マジで死ぬなよ。最近私は死ぬとか考えているので冗談しないでよ

Does anyone else get instantly overwhelmed even when they see a small wall of text?

Anyone else watching this?
Why does the girl pronounce stuff in such a queer way? Is that some regional thing, or is she just a mong?
It hurts my ears every time she says oTO-san.

Yes.

Look at sentences, not paragraphs. Suddenly gets easy.

i do even in english you mong

I usually skim because of the time it takes

in game tutorials it's either something I could've figured out by myself in five seconds or a key central mechanic that's never reminded or explained to you again

I just pray the latter is in colored or bolded text

i didnt read the text in balder sky i just did a sick combo

> is /djt/ finally dying?
Maybe people have just graduated. I check in sometimes, but I don't really need the thread anymore.

As long as radical freedom guy keeps making epic memes once every week or two I'm happy.

ecks dee

No, cause that's like 4 sentences.

i was watching the latest episode of la blue girl and i have to say you cum so much harder when you understand japanese

鰐蟹

>1 anime left to watch from last season
Any of these any good? Need more listening practice material

my mnemonic for 打撲傷: if you're on "da boku show" then you will have a lot of bruises from your wife because you're a pussywhipped cuck

あおくなるのが打撲傷

きれるのは裂傷

おしいのが残念賞

Anyone know where a good place to buy a physical copy of Genki is in Canada?

Pirate it and print it out

The only decent anime from last season was flying witch.

あなた達はどうで会話を練習するか

練習したいけど俺のいる町に誰かが日本語を分からない

お前を含めて

でも、意味は大抵同じだろう?

そうだ、そうだ!がんばれ!

I just finished the JCAT. I think it took me around 2 hours, The first hour was just the listening and it was completely depressing.

On the one hand, the score is satisfying, but on the other hand I felt completely lost during the entire test. I did not truly understand even a single listening question, most of the grammar and vocab questions were guessing, and most of the reading was filled with words I had never seen before. I feel like I know nothing.

That's why I want to practice!! I can't get good if I have nobody to practice with

Holy Hell, where do I even start? This isn't the place to try and learn from scratch (at least I don't think it is) but I sure as shit don't know where it would be. Anyone want to help a poor single language user out?

Qtaroにしないといけないよ

ねたてきに

たしかにそうかもしれない。
ですが僕は尋ねたけったのはどっちが正しいということ。
の話なら「またたく」は正しいでもそれならばなぜそんなに膨大な読み方数があるわけ,
普通ならあんな数がないだろう調子狂うまったく。

とにかく、間違いは何ですか?教えてください!

>Find the Genki textbook
>Download the Anki app

This isn't a good place to start in the sense that nobody here is going to teach you from zero. It's more of a place to polish and correct, as well as ask questions.

In a sense, it's good that you're here now. When I started these threads were enormous. It was pretty hard to get good answers.

Man I was totally ready to take the JCAT when I signed up but now that I finally got the password I just don't want to

I'll just watch more anime

>どうで

>俺のいる町
(not a mistake grammatically, but sounds weird as shit, 俺の町 is better, stop taking insporation for manga names, which are supposed to sound weird and thus eye-catching)

>誰かが日本語を分からない
>誰かが

It seems slightly giongo-ish
And it's pretty normal for there to be a shitload of onomotopoeia meaning approximately the same thing

Really, they are all the same word and you can read it however you like
Personally I use either しばたく、まばたく、またたく and have never really read it using the others

If the author cares they will write it in kana

猫は今日図書館へ行った

So in this sentence, why does 今日 sit right next to 図書館? I guess I really have no idea what I'm getting at, but it feels weird that there isn't some sort of particle to separate the two, but I've so far not read why a sentence should be structured this way. It's literally TODAY LIBRARY.

Should I think of the sentence as two units, like 猫は今日 図書館へ行った?

I scored lower since I couldn't read kanji without furigana, but finished within 30 minutes - I didn't even know you could take two hours for the test.

Anyways most of the people ITT just guess the meaning, and assume that's comprehension. There's no real sense of actual comprehension until N2/N1 level - anything before and you should just be satisfied if you can understand the gist, as annoyingly frustrating as that is.

its ok you woulda scored 200 something at best just keep studying and dont worry about standardized tests if you dont need the certification

the only metrics that matter are the ones you set (and achieve) for yourself

Particles can sometimes be dropped when it is clear what they should be. Your intuition that a particle is "missing" is actually correct, but the sentence isn't wrong because of it.

What if the goal I set for myself is a 400 on the JCAT

Ah, I see. I had originally written the sentence with 通う seperating the two, but someone gave me a correction and removed it in favor of just having the two sitting next to each other. Japanese sentence structure is still a bit hard for me.

How much progress is did you make in your first month?

Depends how you want to quantify progress user.

I read Oretsuba and Muramasa along with watching all of detective conan raw

I guess amount of kanji, vocab, and grammar lessons.

Thanks a ton. I'm not sure what you mean by manga names... I was thinking "The town where I live", guess I need to start actually thinking in Japanese more...

Also, was I supposed to use 誰でも? Or was I wrong to use が? I read that が is used when the topic of the sentence is "new" to the conversation. I suppose that's wrong?

Thanks again in advance.

Pretty much zero with regards to language skills. I had no discipline or self-control, so I had to build up that first. Started with a rule of at least 5 minutes of study a day, but built up to 3-4 hours after a few months.

>I did not truly understand even a single listening question
>did better than me

I think 誰にも would be the best in this case

Thanks, I also stopped being a fag and looked at OP's link, guess I'll see you guys in a few weeks, godspeed

日本語が分かるやつはいない

エンド
たたかう
魔法
アイテム

なんでやねん

私わ眠い

こんにちは、眠いくん。
わたしはジョン

>tfw almost 2am and I haven't finished my reps.

I fell below 95% retention in core 6k today, I'm worried I will never learn Japanese at this rate.

Any tips for increasing speed/recall? It already feels like I'm wasting all my free time with this but with little to show for it except associating English words with sounds/pictures/unrelated information.

Anyone know where to get japanese audio books? Even if it's just translated from english books. I know harry potter is big there.

Are you trying to humble brag about how well you learn your beginner shit?

>He fell for the retention meme
Your retention may fall below 60% and you will still make it.
Words that you got wrong now will be shown again so you can have them wrong as many as you want, some day they will just stick with you and that's what matters.

I just want to destroy the confidence of those who are satisfied with losing more than they learn.

>300 cards in 30 minutes
That's fast enough. You should add more cards/day.

I haven't read anything in a week. Just anki reps.

Anyone else feel like you'd read more, if you had a physical version of manga/LN.

Reading on my computer drains me mentally.

>Anyone else feel like you'd read more, if you had a physical version of manga/LN

no, because i couldnt look shit up

im pretty sure the only people who are left dont do flash cards or already know more japanese than you so good luck on your quest 主人公さん

Be proud when you hit real landmarks in your learning like being able to watch anime raw or read without encountering any new kanji

Everything else is just trying to satisfy yourself with fake goals to distract yourself from how far you are from the real ones

oh shit now you've done it, your original post has completely wiped out my motivation 8 months into core 2/6k :^)