Why is mecha anime generally frowned upon by most anime fans?

Why is mecha anime generally frowned upon by most anime fans?

It isn't.

Is it? I think its alright. There are some genuinely great shows in the genre that are very well written and unique so to swear off it completely would just be limiting.

Mecha fans are mostly bitter oldfags

Where did you get that impression?

Because most are boring? Gundam particularly surprises me with how boring they could make a story involving giant robots.

Evangelion.

>most are boring

Eh? Most are pretty exciting I think, or at least super robot stuff is

Because it's an over inflated genre with great shows but a lot of recycled crap inbetween. The same thing is happening to SoL shows that follow the formula of "cute girls do cute things"

It's frowned upon by normalfags because they're off put by big robots and think they're childish.

It isn't though.

most retards here are bitter and egdy oldfags

>cute girls do cute things
I never get tired of those, though.

Most mecha is too old for normalfags to enjoy and for every good Gundam or TTGL you get something retarded like Kannazuki no Miko or offensively mediocre like Captain Earth

They have a bad habit of making shows for an audience that likes mecha for the sake of mecha, which turns off everybody who isn't already in for the ride.

This is not always the case, but it harms the accessibility of the genre as a whole.

I don't get it either. Some people just hate giant robots, especially newfags who say, "I don't like mecha, but I did like [low brow entry level anime with mecha]".

Plebs will never understand greats like Overman King Gainer or Voltes V

don't lump a masterpiece like King Gainer in with Voltes V

Sup Forums

I prefer Combattler V desu even if the second half was total shit
The first half is too good

Most of it's dragged down by older shit made for kids and tokusatsu trash made for kids.

There's a lot of solid mecha, ie Takashi's real robot work from Dougram to Gasaraki, Oshii's Patlabor, Tomino's everything; but instead you get any /m/ discussion flooded with fucking power rangers and super sentai.

>hating tokusatsu
I'm going to rider kick your ass

Normalfags or people that have less than five anime under their belts tend to have a stigma against them because they think the idea of giant robots is childish. They're not completely wrong

Newfags that think they're hot shit for watching 10 whole anime series won't watch them because they're old, or perhaps more accurately, because they look old. It's not unheard of for these people to not want to watch Gundam, but love Gurren Lagann or Aldnoah Zero. It certainly doesn't help that a lot of recent mecha shows aren't very good.

There's a lot to enjoy in mecha shows, but there are certain barriers of entry that need to be passed in order for more people to start enjoying them. The most prominent of which being that people should stop being little bitches and give genres of shows they've never tried watching before a shot. Even if they end up not liking what they see at least they can say that they tried

Because a large market was kids and today's kids jerk off to shounen.

The point of mecha was having violence and body parts flying everywhere while still keeping it kid friendly. If you don't use that, what's the point.
I try to watch some, ends up mostly being mecha for people who don't like mecha, and I don't like mecha a lot either. They tend to be boring, and have stupid things in them. I do like some mecha anime, but they usually have something subtle to them that detracts from the enjoyment a little bit.

Because giant robots are fucking stupid and useless.

What's the point of building a giant robot when 50% of his body is legs? It's dumb, just build a tank or a jet.

Not to mention when the robot fights using light sabers.

Because franchises like Gundam have the appearance of a high barrier to entry, since they think that you need to watch all of the previous series to watch the new one. This is the case for some shows but for shit like IBO it's really not.

That's why some of the more popular mecha anime among casual anime fans are garbage like Aldnoah Zero.

Because they are like a niche inside a niche, most anime fan don't have the patience to watch a low budget 70's or 80's series with 50 episodes.

>internet threats from a 12 year old nipponese shitposter hiding behind a plastic sentai mask from 7/11
this is what I live with

Jokes on you, he's from Chile.

citation needed

Low standards.

>Liking karate bugmen

What are some good mecha SoL?

Turn-A

monge

>caring about Sup Forums's opinion

Sup Forums doesn't want to talk about mecha when there's no popular mainstream mecha shows airing since "muh they have their own board"

I do not enjoy the protagonist being a teenager being thrust into a mecha and inexplicably being good. My favorite Gundam series is probably 08th MS team.

right now this season there's kuromukoro and the Legend of the Grumpy Loli & Booby Empress

>liking muh realistic mecha warfare turned into Romeo and Juliet UC ver

I don't, I'm just answering the question, cockface.

A lot of them are just toy commercials.

Modern Gundam is also entry level trash.

There's been like two gundam threads a day for a really long fucking time.

Because Mecha anime is anime at it's purist level. A product meant to move merchandise. That this show you're getting invested in is ultimately a commercial trying to get you to spend money.

Normals think they're smarter or more intelligent by going "Ha! This is just a toy commercial! I'm not going to watch this."

And then they go watch a show that's a commercial for a certain VA. Or an OST. Or Merchandise. Or Manga. Or a Visual Novel. Pretending that they're better than the people watching a show that's a Toy Commercial.

The mark of a true normalfag is in trying to pretend that any anime is any more than something made to sell you something that you can fault an anime for doing so.

Read Getter

>They're all kinda samey. Design and storywise.
>3D shit
>Combat involves sniping someone from 1000 miles away with a laser cannon or hitting someone with a sword for some reason.
>Most of them are tame. Only die in big explosions or escape from said big explosion somehow.
>How many Gundams can they make?
>Characters interact with a screen 90% of the time. Nothing is face to face.
>Female characters are fanservice only
>No original ideas for 40 years
>Seriously how many gundams can they make?

Its not mecha. Its more like Anno's Ultraman fanfic OC donut steel story.

All the good mecha shows were made in the 80s and 90s. Nothing good has been made in years.

>In b4 some mechtard thinks unicorn and thunderbolt are good

>Or Manga. Or a Visual Novel.
Funny how these have the best chance of having a good storyline because the plot is already established unlike most anime which are written on the fly.

There's some good mecha, then there's some terrible mecha. For most shows in the /m/ genre you either LOVE OR HATE the show

Nailed it.

>Why is (untrue thing)?
>Why does Sup Forums (thing Sup Forums doesn't do)?
>Why does everyone hate (show people have mixed opinions about)?

I'm starting to get tired of these threads.

I think you underestimate how tremendously popular Gundam is even after nearly 40 years. It's been Bandai's top earner since forever and at this point might as well be carrying the mecha genre on it'd back into the 2010s. It moves product virtually wherever it goes.

>inexplicably
I hope you're not referring to 0079.

That's not how it works, dummy.

It's an intimidating genre that a lot of people are afraid to get into due to its long and established history, and everyone shits on things they're not into.

I don't consider Amuro as that because he was a Newtype.

It's not. Where did you get that idea?

So what's your problem with any gundam? Kamile was probably one of the best pilots on his colony and fucking won tournaments. Uso's dad was a revolutionary leader and Uso spent all of his time gliding, using learning computers or piloting simulators. Judau was literally fucking terrible at piloting and so was everyone else in ZZ. That fag from stardust was a test pilot for several years, and Loran was fucking terrible at piloting and only won the first half of his fights because his machine had thousands of years worth of a technological advantage over everything else.

Because, with a handful of exceptions, it's complete crap. The ones that try to take on politics are especially bad

Aren't you a cool, unique, special little snowflake, kiddo?

Zeta was a better lesson in bad storytelling than anything I ever got in a classroom. The color choice was shit too

Mecha anime has best toys
Mecha anime has best waifus
Mecha anime has best husbandos
Mecha anime has best OSTs
Mecha anime has best lore
Mecha anime has best idols
Mecha anime has best lolis
Mecha anime has best shotas
Mecha anime has best AraAra~

What's not there to like?