Why is 3D in anime always so shit?

Why is 3D in anime always so shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/jaieus.webm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not enough quality 3D animators in anime business, probably.

>harder to do

>more expensive to make look good

>The "anime" style is hard to make look good in 3d are even when done well usually looks pretty jarring.

>traditional 2d is liked more to begin with

>3D in anime is shit
>posts vidya

at least post the real eyecancer to make your point

I don't think its always shit but usually 3d cg type shit is mostly done by game developers not anime studios

I don't think that can be it. Mediocre or bad 3D animators don't explain framerates below 10 fps, the problem is that CG is used for cutting corners.

I think the point is that a full vidya game can get it right, but small uses of it in anime are always jarring and shit

>Japs are retards who purposely make the framerate low
For gods sake Jimmy Neutron looks better tan most cgi anime

because anime needs to stay 2d

>That Slayer one where he doesn't give a fuck

What's a recent mecha anime that didn't use shitty 3d for the mechs? I've seen Aldnoah Zero and Kuromukuro and the fight scenes are terrible.

macross delta, gumdam g

because it's trying imitate 2d animation, therefore ruining all of it's advantages

regalia also

it's funny because 3D animators get paid more than 2D animators

Better fucking surrender.

Because people use 3DCG to cut corners and save money in anime on top of likely not having enough skilled people.

If you watch the video on how the models and lighting was done in GG it becomes clear that they did a fuckload of research AND had talent and experience.

They attempt to imitate the the look of regular anime, which just makes it look like a shitty indie game that some bum with no skill made in his basement and couldn't be arsed to enable proper lighting.

Because they make it low framerate to emulate 2D animation, which in the end just makes it look awfully choppy. They need to drop that shit and make stuff that looks like Etotama.

What I do not understand is how he has more than 8 rounds in that shotgun. Is he using shorts? Cause that would be funny to think about.

Because the point of 3dcgi and cgi in general is to allow scenes of scope and complexity that the budget or schedule would otherwise not allow. And to give the 2d animators time to breathe and do the import things, like characters and faces (as a result the 2d parts look better aswell)

What's actually done is, they're using cgi as an excuse to put less effort for the same end result (or at least what they perceive as the same result). Cutting corners and making everything that's harder to draw, 3d, including characters and faces. And its getting worse because 3d animation is getting cheaper and the nips refuse to learn and progress past the level of quality they had in the 2000s. You get shitty textures, aliasing, overused assets and 3d that's either a slideshow or jarringly fuild, and that never quite syncs with the 2d because they render it at whatever the software defaults to then cut it down when they put everything together

Still better than Berserk

>Even comparing GG's 3d to Berserk's

But the 3d in your webm still looks like shit. I have yet to see 3d that doesn't pull me out of the scene and make me think about how shitty it is.

The 3d in my webm is shit. That's about as close as you get without blowing the budget on a 10 second scene. The point of the webm is to show the transition between 3d character to 2d character (when it gets close) and 3d again at the end

Etotama

Was still shit though

the best of the bunch though, for a moderate budget TV anime and not even a film.

i think that's because they just went full actual-3d animation instead of going for the weird faux-2d style.

this sort of reminds me of a video i watched the other day about how the original disney tarzan movie blended 2d animation and 3d backgrounds.

from what i saw in that, it's something i SERIOUSLY doubt an anime studio would put the time and effort into, to be honest.

The 3D actually looks good. The problem is the wacky tracking shot it's trying to pull off to hide the blending. It was the same problem I had with the Tintin movie; because it had the freedom of a completely virtual space the director went overboard with the big flashing sweeping and tracking camera shots, which would normally be hard to pull off in the real world. The audience, when it's watching a scene, subconsciously tries to define the camera's frame of reference, but if the camera is swinging about in impossible movements it pulls the audience out of the scene and gives that uncomfortable feeling that something isn't right.

Are you not correctly viewing his quick-load tubes?

It can be done really well with a good budget.

Is the framerate that bad in the movie? Or was it just reduced for the webm?

This shot looks like the ones they shoehorn into movies to make you think your 3D glasses are really worth it.

Allright, bad example, some of the scenes in the film are beautiful, that one is isn't, it's just the cool blending they did on that close up.
a.pomf.cat/jaieus.webm
>mc mahon
i know, just bear with it, i had on hand

All this does is remind me of how dumb the physics in that show is.
Literally a gag show I don't know how anyone can take it seriously.

Please give examples

>Literally a gag show I don't know how anyone can take it seriously.
Show me where people take a fucking SoL serious you fucking jackass

>You better start believing in autist anime boards, user. You're in one

The problem is the contrast between the realism of the tanks and the complete bullshit that is the physics. If you're going to use real tanks, make them behave like the real thing.

Yeah, it was't the goddamn little girls using tanks to go to school and shit that betrayed the realism, it was the physics, hady ou not pointed it out I would have thought this was a true to life documentary

Suspension of disbelief works better with 2D. It's particularily obvious when you see dialogue scenes and face close-ups in 3D. The rather simple anime style, simplified lip movement, lack of subtle expression changes and eye movement all appear robotic and eerie when it's 3D.

very few 3D animators want to make TV shows.
The animators who create TV series are usually those who weren't talented enough to make it into the vidya industry or into big movie studios like they originally wanted to.

Traditional animators, on the other hand, do it because they REALLY want to (especially considering how demanding and shitty it is as a job) and, no matter how mediocre, they somehow made the cut, whereas most 3D animators are those who DIDN'T make the cut in their industry of choice.

Bubuki Buranki was nice

>You will never be married to someone as perfect as Dizzy

Why even live brehs

what is that? looks like shit and one of the worst

That looks great you faglord

>Yeah, it was't the goddamn little girls using tanks to go to school and shit that betrayed the realism
It's called suspension of disbelief. The story gives us reasons for why little girls are using tanks.

>it was the physics
This, on the other hand, is clearly outside of suspension of disbelief. Had the show taken place on a different planet (that just happened to be terraformed to look 100% like Earth), or had there been some magical event that forever changed the laws of physics it would have been acceptable, assuming it kept by the newly set rules. But here we have real tanks (creates expectations), driven by little girls (expectations averted via plot), that don't behave as the laws of physics would dictate (breaking expectations and leaving the audience unsure of what is and isn't acceptable in the story's universe).

Any story, even non-serious stories, have to be consistent with their own internal logic. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, real-life phenomena are considered part of this logic.

That's a game user. Anime never looks that good

Because there are fools that still defend this and grant the fuck ones responsible for it money.

Why does it look like she lost the fight rather than winning

There's a big ass red flag being waved at the end of the first episode that's supposed to signal the show's not to be take seriously. It's not however a gag show. You go in understanding that the characters take themselves and the situation they're in seriously, but that the viewer doesn't have to. You do that and it's a fun show, you don't do that and it looks like a clusterfuck

It's Dizzy, she's that type of anime girl that gets upset she lost control of her powers and almost hyper annihilated her opponent.

Fighting is bad

Cut her some slack, she's ten. Also her tail and wings are a lot more belligerent than her.

>This, on the other hand, is clearly outside of suspension of disbelief
except it wasn't, you uncontrollable autist.

You sound like the type that starts breathing heavily when thing don't go exactly as you expect them. Relax, don't be so uptight. Allow a show to take you by surprise

ky loves it

>she's ten.
She has a kid, who aged just as fast as her.

Why the quote, metal man?

I think you need a good mix of 3D and handdrawn animation. Too much 3D and you get the last few 2D movies Dreamworks made.

Best girl

Was A.Z really that bad?

>Quality
Ignoring how retarded that entire scene was, it looked like utter shit.

CG can be ok when it tries to be it's own thing. Not when it pretends to be 12 fps hand drawn animation. And especially not when it is mixed with hand drawn animation.

>Not removing the gun from within reach of the downed perp.

Dang that cute

It's not. Try watching more anime.

Looked worse than fucking RWBY which was made by inexperienced Texans with literally no budget

Magnetic Rose had legitimately extrordionary CGI.

The music and mecha designs were the best part.
Everything else was awful

my question is why crowds and background characters are almost always 3D now but anyone in the foreground or main characters are 2D

That looks like complete garbage.

Time constraints.
The cgi crowds in Boy and the Beast and Re Zero look god awful. Damn shame since the directing in them are good

1) I've seen worse, but this still doesn't look good.

2) He hasn't shown evidence of watching anime at all. He posted a sequence from a fighting game.

The fate/zero CGI wasn't terribly offensive

Beserker's particle effects/cloud thing looked horrendous.

The rest was fine.

AZ was so bad that it gave me flashbacks to Guilty Crown. Never listen to people hyping up an original anime project based on staff and studio, friend.

>console videogame.webm

Some scenes with Majestic Prince were good.

That scene where Woogaroo Purple gets the shit stabbed out of him
Pure sex

I really wish there was more.

Does anyone have the scene from Sidonia where they're watching a TV show, and the CG looks incredible?

Fafner Exodus had amazing CG,however there's a first season and an OVA to watch before they started using it

I hated that this show still animated like a cheap 2D anime when they could take so much advantage of the 3D with more dynamic camera angles.

It just made all the character look and move like robots.

The only anime where I feel the CG was used at least a little well was GITS SAC, and even then I think I only don't mind it because I've watched it so many times.

>pump action shotgun
>break open reload
>nevermind the fact that he had close to unlimited bullets and the only reason for him to reload was that the dumb japs thinks it looks cool
As a /k/ommando this shit trigged my autism so much. Don't even get me started on rigor mortis, fuck this show with a spoon.

Those tits says otherwise

>2d-3d blending done right
You were being sarcastic right?

see

In his defense, the CG is so bad its pretty difficult to see anything of detail.

I just know that one Expelled from Paradise fag is going to show up with his MMD-tier webms.

Because you are too gay to watch Sunrise/Toei/Tatsunoko kids' shows.

masterpiece

Wtf is this shit

Someone post Macross Frontier.

>Why is 3D in anime always so shit?
You're not watching the right shows.

Orange is about the best studio for 3D mecha, and even then it's not nearly at the level of good or even average 2D mecha. I can at least give them props for making more usage of camera angles, as well as actually knowing to deform limbs when the camera is at certain angle instead of limiting themselves to the base model.

What happens when Shaft runs out of time and cocaine and needs to put anything they can on TV. Every scrap of footage in that webm was thrown out and redone for the BD.

Karas is good 3D.