Muh "chemical imbalance" meme

The whole talk about "chemical imbalances" with regard to neurotransmitters and their relationship to mental illnesses is basically a meme.

For example, antidepressants don't work because of the direct effect of increasing serotonin in the synaptic cleft. If they did, the effects would be seen much sooner, because the re-uptake inhibition works quickly.

Instead, we see that SSRIs take at least a month to start working, and even longer for treating OCD. This is because SSRIs work through a poorly understood mechanism that most likely involves changes in the long-term expression of DNA.

One of the known long-term effects of SSRIs is that they enhance the creation of new neurons from neural stem cells of the granular region in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus.

Also, one of the physiological changes seen in the brains of patients with MDD is that their brain cells are smaller in certain regions of the brain associated with emotion and cognition.

Therefore, SSRIs mechanism of action isn't as simple as increasing the amount of "happy chemicals", instead it involves actual structural changes in the brain which result from long-term changes to the way the DNA of brain cells is expressed.

This makes sense because serotonin acts upon G-protein coupled receptors, and GCPRs are well-studied for their effects on DNA expression.

>TL;DR -- Don't fall for the chemical imbalance jew. The drugs that psychiatrists prescribe DO change your brain's structure, and most likely have permanent effects on behavior because of this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency_anemia
static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1072889/14890979/1320009370450/antidep Andrews etal drug exposure raises greater relapse risk.pdf?token=HC6BmZmNk1OjG2dKxho7ILTaZWQ=
youtube.com/watch?v=VYfF06CPHMo
youtube.com/watch?v=MumiqqstRxw
mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical and Interpretive/9156
mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/Vitamin_B12_Deficiency_Evaluation.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The whole talk about "chemical imbalances" with regard to neurotransmitters and their relationship to mental illnesses is basically a meme.

I don't know anything about SSRIs, but some medical conditions do lead to depression/neurological symptoms . For example en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency_anemia

t. B12 deficient

What about drugs like anti-psychotics?

I take a mild dose of an anti-psychotic and it has saved my life in terms of being a functioning member of society. After I take it my thoughts become less cluttered and I can make connections I couldn't before.
Never had much luck with SSRIs though.

Makes sense still I haven’t felt much when busting a nut after not having taken them after over a year.

Legit question.

My parents put my on meds from the time I was 5 years old to the time I was 17 and made a personal decision to stop taking them. I've been on meds for ADHD, bipolar, anxiety, depression, sleep disorder, etc. Is it possible to heal the damage done by these drugs or do I need to just kill myself?

If you are feeling suicidal go to walmart and buy some 5-HTP. It is with all the other vitamin supplements. Take about 200mg before bed. You'll feel a lot better in the morning.

This is a great post. Thank you OP!

You're not a normal user.

May i ask for your sources?, i'm interested in learning more about ISSRI because i got an exam about them soonish.

Yeah, usually I don't want to do anything but sleep. No motivation, confused in life, hate my job -- death seems like the only realistic option. I'm 24, male, wouldn't confess to feeling this way in public, but sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to have someone care about me, to matter, to be important, not to be utterly expendable to everyone around me. Tried 5-HTP for a few weeks, never really noticed a difference though.

prescribed by a family doctor?

Yeah, I guess. I had tons of different therapists.

typical. have you ever seen a psychiatrist?

Not on meds as long as you, but man I feel them. On ssri's, snri's, anti-psychotics, and amphets at different times. Off them all but amphets for 2 years now.

I literally feel retarded. My thoughts are slower and I'm less creative. 24 as well.

Don't give up man. We can do it, it won't be easy, but anything worth doing is hard. Dosen't matter what happened to us. People overcome getting shot in the head. We can overcome this damage man

Yeah, I had a lot of them too.

only a psychiatrist can prescribe meds man, Therapists can't

You have Steam or anything?

let me guess, your parents were abusive and they forcefully medicated you for your entire childhood because they couldn't stand the thought of someone seeing them as being abusive?

no steam man. I literally have no social media stuff. I'm on discord, but I am unmotivated so I don't get on much

I don't really remember anything but the medication and the EEG sessions. My mom and dad divorced, dad was never really around, mom had bizarre emotional problems (her parents raped and beat her relentlessly until she ran away) so I do remember some times here and there where she went completely off the handle. My grandma mostly raised me, but I just stayed in my room all day and played video games. When I moved in with my dad, I lived in a room about the size of a walk-in closet. Eventually I started doing drugs so he kicked me out. I don't remember them being "abusive" per se but I don't really remember anything from my childhood.

> not posting any studies
> conflates MDD with with all SSRI patients

> takes a month
> long term, it enhances creation of new neurons
> MDD (Major depressive disorder) brain cells are smaller for regions re. emotion and cognition
> therefore

reddit tier. saged.

>most likely have permanent effects on behavior because of this

Is it possible to have a positive permanent change of the brain brain's structure and effects on behavior then?

asking for a friend btw

chemical imbalance causes misfiring of neurotransmitters, which causes the "incorrect" mental conditions. I understand you are probably a month into your college classes, taking a psychology course to fill in credits since this is exactly what the intro psychology course goes into. What this means is that you did not even fucking grasp what is said in the book. SSRI medications DO help, but its the SSRI med AND dosage that has to be played with over the course of 2-4 months to find what works right so the mind can adjust and work properly.
Tell me, Mr. textbook Psychologist - why does every single person who stops taking their medication end up reverting back to their old way of thinking pre-medication? Also you might want to re-read about "growing" new neurons, dipshit as it doesn't happen in the area of the brain where personality/mental disorders come from.

Pretty much this. Been on ADD drugs for no reason since I was 16 (29 now), shit turned me into a complete autist who can't really function as a member of society.

>so I do remember some times here and there where she went completely off the handle.
>My grandma mostly raised me, but I just stayed in my room all day and played video games.
>When I moved in with my dad, I lived in a room about the size of a walk-in closet. Eventually I started doing drugs so he kicked me out.
this is textbook abuse.

>I don't remember them being "abusive" per se but I don't really remember anything from my childhood.
are you in a safe living situation right now? odds are you've repressed the memories of your childhood to prevent a complete mental breakdown.

Yeah, I think having someone there for oneself is a common need. It makes me a wreck even though I really haven't had a bad background. But if you aren't a keystone in society you tend to get swept under the rug I feel...

If the brain can just re-grow neurons from anywhere, then brain damage would not be permanent. We wouldn't suffer from mental conditions because the brain would re-grow neurons that are not correctly functioning. We would also never fucking have anything like Alzheimers.

Why is it that America appears to have more mental illnessses per capita than most countries? I reckon that the northern European countries will have similar stats.
I mean, I have never much people that live around the Mediterranean, the Brazillians, or the Mexicans talk about taking depression meds, or any other meds for mental illnesses. I'm not saying it's not a thing there, but it's just that Americans seem to have a lot more mental illnesses than other people. Why is that?

holy fuck you are basically the jews slave puppet.
it will take years to cut those strings. they may be permanent.

you should kill your parents

Just stopped Cymbalta about 2 months ago after tapering for 14 weeks. This after being on various anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers for 10 yrs. Turns out my "bipolar" was my thyroid malfunctioning due to Hashimoto's disease. Have the same thought of whether I'll ever feel normal again or if I should just end it. Life feels completely pointless.

>My mom and dad divorced
all I needed to hear. If only you understood how devastating this was-and still is- for you.

What's your diagnosis?

>medication
>way of thinking

you sound like a shit psychiatrist

So, direct question for the OP,

Do the drugs prescribe "work" for the disorders they aim to treat? Regardless of mechanism of action, are they effective?

It is your fucking responsibility to tell your medical professional what it is doing to you so they can fucking adjust it. Good lord.
>Hey doc, my meds are making me space out and i cant even function while on them, can we work with the dosage or a different type? is there something else I can be taking to allow me to focus while I am on this medication?
this is why fucking idiots end up untreated then do stupid shit like believing they are the treasurers of their own intellectual currencies in the year 232,434,231AD

europeans tend to live with their families (since rent is ACTUALLY too high and everyone knows it)

Americans have delusions of childless independent life, and get FUCKING RAPED. Most of us never realize living alone is a jewish scam and an impossible task.

So most of Sup Forums?

>hey doc i talk to invisible people, i feel like i see things, i dont think things are real
>muh way of thinking

Because Pharma likes making obscene profits that's why.

Also, if Antidepressants worked, why the hell would the number of depressed patients continue to grow exponentially?

You don't get how it works, I'll give you two examples.

One you give ketamine to a patience, that it's known as the most potent anti depressive, you experience ego death, you forget the sins of the body, the illness the responsibility, pum.

Works for like a week the first time and there you have that lapse to deal with a depression free individual, a decent enough therapist can make him function at decent levels if he does daily therapy for those five days, therapy it's always more effective in happy people, regardless that you don't care to use therapy on happy people.

If you don't do the therapy the effects wear off in about a week and you a relapse that's fucking awful, reality hits like a fucking train.

>Americans have delusions of childless independent life, and get FUCKING RAPED. Most of us never realize living alone is a jewish scam and an impossible task.

So it turns out that living with my mom at 32 makes me masterrace.

what are you trying to say?

how did the doc recommend fixing your thyroid?

We have direct to consumer drug ads for (((some reason))) and there have been periodic (((overdiagnosis fads))) since the 80s. Cheating roasties and deadbeat dads will do anything to convince themselves their kid's fuckups aren't the parent's fault.

absolutely. why the fuck would you ever move until both you and your family can prepare for your children? God. Family. Country. Lift each other up, that's the most beautiful way to live.

They just get over-diagnosed with it more because of their health insurance system where you really can charge an insurance company 10K for a patients years supply of pills, so to make more shekels little timmy now has ADHD if he doesn't like going to school.

The banks are trying to introduce this mentality in Bulgaria too. I've seen quite some variations of:
>living with mum at 30? Get a credit and buy your own home
I mean, yeah, not having to worry about your parents coming and interrupting you when you're fucking your girlfriend, and having the complete freedom to control everything in your apartment is nice, but the banks are acting a bit too forceful about it.

Can you seriously blame doctors if people don't ask questions or request different medications or dosages that might help better? Sure, they might push a medication that a pharma group created and is trying to get on the market, but its up to the consumer to educate themselves either by request to the doctor or take the time to look up medications for whatever their condition is, the ill effects, and if their insurance covers it.

This. Also it has nothing to do with politics.

Had to cut off a friend this weekend who's a long term SSRI user.

Basically at the point they can't grow or change their behaviour; behave like an 18 year old despite being 24. Very sad shit.

SSRIs are incredibly dangerous shit. I don't know why they're even legal, let alone prescribed as often as they are. Did you know that going into a sauna or sweat lodge while on SSRIs will kill you?

this is what i learned over during my time as a psychology major in a liberal university. yet Sup Forums would have you believe they're just trying to brainwash you into whatever jews want.

Except the only thing the average consumer probably has knowledge of is just more fucking pharma ads.

It's not it doctors' fault, but they have a large share in it.

No way to fix it, just "manage", as it seems everything is these days. I'm on the 4th hormone replacement med and, while the TSH is down, I still feel like utter shit.

Wait, is that true?
Do they at least warn you of this potential fatal side-effect?

Most likely because serotonin is a mood regulator it is somewhat of a "brute force" approach to correcting the brain chemistry.

My question remains unanswered tho, if they are EFFECTIVE regardless of mechanism of action.

It seems OP is saying "they don't work like you think they do" but he doesn't imply that they are ineffective..

Maybe, if you bother to read the entirety of the Prescribing Information, which most don't.

>guys SSRIs don't increase serotonin

yeah no shit
they suppress emotion

your entire rant is fucking retarded because you don't know how SSRIs even work

In America we have an old phrase that's been twisted and changed over the years and every adult repeats it like a mantra

>Pull yourself up by the bootstraps
Little do these listless automatons know the complete idiom is
>Pull yourself over the fence by your own bootstraps
and is supposed to be musing about the impossibility of it. Think about it. You're born into this world of slavery. How exactly are you supposed to just make money? Steal? You'll never make money unless you're gifted it. Trump got a "Small" loan of a million dollars. Small in the 80s...

I don't know directly as I've never been on them, but I've seen people on SSRIs avoid doing those activities on advice from medical staff on site.

>psychology major
>agrees with the comment that the brain can just re-grow neurons in the hypothalamus

yes they cause your serotonin receptors to become desensitized because the medication makes them porous 24/7

>absolutely. why the fuck would you ever move until both you and your family can prepare for your children? God. Family. Country. Lift each other up, that's the most beautiful way to live.

Women don't want to live at home because they want the freedom to fuck. So the move out from little towns into the cities to live in a shitty apartment in a shitty area, working a shitty dead end job, so they can fuck Chad occasionally.
I've never worked seriously in my life and I have more money in the bank that 99% of these whores.

Taking SSRIs to deal with emotional problems is like using Godzilla to reduce crime in Tokyo. It works, but at what cost?

been taking them for 7 years now, can confirm they work

they have side effects but all medication does

Shit, we are all going to die.

>why the hell would the number of depressed patients continue to grow exponentially?

because they're no longer killing themselves

Hope you aren't on (((anti depressants))) aka the mass shooter drug

>cause your serotonin receptors to become desensitized
If that's true, how the fuck is that even allowed? That's not any different than taking some illegal drug that burns out your receptors - how the fuck is it allowed?

Here's my favorite
> life sucks and then you die

Want to know why it is dangerous? SSRIs cause drowsiness, which can cause you to pass out in a sauna and fucking kill you. Same with driving. The only dangerous effect of SSRI medications is fucking going off of it cold turkey.

>Hope you aren't on (((anti depressants))) aka the mass shooter drug

Jesus no. I'm on vitamins. Besides I've never be depressed, I had more like brain fog and a lack of drive.

because pharmaceutical lobby and FDA is a joke

Its not true at all.

have u ever heard of a jew

static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1072889/14890979/1320009370450/antidep Andrews etal drug exposure raises greater relapse risk.pdf?token=HC6BmZmNk1OjG2dKxho7ILTaZWQ=

SSRI's are absolutely garbage.I noticed that almost every person that takes it becomes even more fucked up. Then they stop it and jump to another SSRI. Doctors spend months "adjusting" the right med / dosage. This cannot be healthy. Antipsicotics seems to be better. Actually there's a lot of studies and literature about how bad SSRI's are. I also think they are pushing the depression agenda even more. Back then a depressed person was that really fucked up guy who didn't leave his home for days or even weeks. Unshaved and all. Now everyone can have depression! You just have to feel a little bit blue and baam, you are officially diagnosed, now take prozac. I don't doubt there's a CIA finger on this. It can be a great weapon for mass control.

>I had more like brain fog and a lack of drive.

Shit, that sounds like me 99% of the time. I should get checked.

what vitamins?

well, I'm sure there's a range of dosage. typically meds are prescribed or should be prescribed in a "little as possible to fix the problem" approach

>porous

doesn't that give the opposite image of a re-uptake "inhibitor"? like they would be closed, not open

>her parents raped and beat her relentlentlessly
So she claims. From experience, my mother is a complete liar and freak and has lied to me my entire life. Similar APB story, minus rape of course. The irony is that she did worse to me than her father telling her off for being a teenage whore and delinquent.

I hope they die sooner

Nigger lets kill all niggers

youtube.com/watch?v=VYfF06CPHMo

youtube.com/watch?v=MumiqqstRxw

I don't grasp it fully here is a doctor explaining how they work

Am oldfag.
I have been on a combination of SSRIs, atypical antipsychotics, and typical antipsychotics. I have also taken 'benzos' but I didn't take them long as I was aware and afraid of the behavioral changes associated
>suicide
>violent outbursts
For a period of about 10 years I took a combination of
trazodone
abilify
cymbalta
zoloft
lexipro
prozac
lithium
several others I can't remember.
After 18 months or so of not taking them, my ability to orgasm became normal again. My sex drive returned sooner than that. My cognition improved dramatically within weeks.
I am sure that this cocktail of drugs contributed to severe lifestyle changes to the point where I dropped out of society and was homeless for a number of years.
My life is not back to normal, I am an actual NEET and ashamed. I drink too much.
But, I don't feel I have organic brain damage. My IQ has dropped significantly, but this appears to be a normal shift with age. My actual intelligence is about as high as it was when I was a kid, but the age part of the quotient drops it.
The chaos and disorder in my life is circumstantial. I am convinced I am healthy and I have psychological problems now stemming from my very long disengagement with society, but I am not 'malfunctioning' on an organic level.
There is hope user
>neuroplasticity
You have an abundance of stem cells in your brain, and even old people re-grow brain tissue and structure.
Chemo drugs, heavy hard drug use, long-term hardcore alcoholism, PTSD, and TBI are irreversible.
This isn't.
Thank you for reading this novel.

Terrible advice you stupid nigger

10/10 video you got there

>user kills his parents
>user is free from his abuse
>the world is liberated from two perma-child boomer retard nigger cattle
win/win

AFAIK there are a numbers of conditions which can cause brain fog. Check your b12 levels as a start.

mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical and Interpretive/9156

mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/Vitamin_B12_Deficiency_Evaluation.pdf

Do a heavy detox

I'm on my own yeah. Been selling cars for a few months. I live in the ghetto, but I'm not harassed.

It talks about how being taken off ADM medication for MDD can cause a massive mood swing back towards depression which causes some patients to look to suicide or perform suicide, and it goes on saying that its difficult to gauge because the medications bind to receptors while they are active, causing the medication to be absorbed into other regions of the brain which haven't been measured and talks about how when MAOs are inhibited, that mPFC spikes.
Basically, you are talking shit to the Bulgarian. This is a hypothesis paper that tries to pinpoint why medications may cause a swing in the person when the doctor throws random medication at a patient.
GJ my man.

From what I've noticed the biggest factors for mental health besides ya know a shit life is diet, sleep and exercise

Biggest factor in mental health are genetics as that in itself dictates how diet and care have an effect on one's mental state.

thanks for clearing that up for me doctor neurologist.

Thanks bro

Why don't you admit receptor downregulation is a thing. I just looked it up

I was on Sertraline for about a year and a half before I quit cold turkey when I was 20. Didn't really experience any withdrawal symptoms or side effects. I was on a fairly low dose, but am I good anons or did they fuck my brain? I remember I got very liberal for about a year when I was on it and I even like Obama for a while but was off of it before his second term so i didn't vote for him. Once I got off I got more conservative and felt pretty normal. Oh yeah I also became an alcoholic because I started having more intense reactions to hard liquor. Like before the antidepressants I wouldn't drink a ton unless I was with friends and I'd always pass/black out before I got too stupid. Now I drink a fifth like water and it all hits me at once and I do stupid shit. I think this could just be the result of the redpills and conspiracy docs on youtube I watch.

tl;dr i was on antidepressants for 18 months in my early 20's am i good?

Side effects don't exist when you talk to psych niggers who want you on them for life so they can get their COMPED cruises

I'm never going on them again, even though they've been pushed on me more than once since I quit. I never felt like they made any great change, I just felt more.....content, but a docile content if that makes any sense. And I didn't notice this until i got off them.

I am literally begging you, if you are currently being medicated for your mental health, pol is the absolute last place you should be getting pharmaceutical advice.

>stay in the matrix, goy
there is no world but debt slavery and multiculturalism
barney fife is your idol