You have 10 seconds to defend digital animation

You have 10 seconds to defend digital animation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0
youtube.com/watch?v=7nMo8duNJNU
youtube.com/watch?v=QuaRNaWPOt8
youtube.com/watch?v=8oEyp-0xtwg
youtube.com/watch?v=g2TZExeJzIk
dailymotion.com/video/x4k2u0j
youtu.be/r0KIUKXFrV8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_(visual_arts)
youtube.com/watch?v=4LXIIn_5lqk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why are the colors so dull?

pic related, try harder kiddo

FLCL

2:58 to 3:08
youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0

niggas don't have to die making it

Colors had to be bright and vibrant back then due to tv's, thats why you saw lots of straight up blacks and shit in Dragon Ball Z but when you watch a cleaned up restored version like in Kai you see that there was actually shades of color in it.

Now with digital animation they normally take into account color theory and have many more colors to work with instead of the limited amount they do.

Now they can concentrate more on animation and use tools to flood fill rather then concentrate on cell by cell animation and dying to meet deadline.

>it allows for more shit on the screen therefore its good

nice try

They could just up the contrast a little and easily get the same effect.

The whole point of doing anything in a digital format is that it's easily modifiable with a few clicks. Blame the shitty look on the art direction

not sure which is which, but left > right

What's the difference?

But the problem is that those different shades look like shit.

Digital coloring and compositing allows for a wider range of artstyles. Cell animation only allows for thick black lines with dull colors. Can't use gradients, can't use bloom, can't use blur, etc.

Then why does the digital animation look so bad?

>gradients
>bloom
>blur
All look like shit and are the cancer that killed anime art

Did you even think this one through OP?

Agreed. The proportions look better on the right, but left has better lighting.

Because a lot of people don't know how to use it.

They're not inherently bad. Just because you have a fetish for flat colors and crisp lines doesn't mean DoF filters, fake flats, or bloom can't do wonders for the composition of an image.

Not him, but those things just tend to become overused or misused, a fucking band-aid for boring design.

who cares dude its just cartoons

>America can make CG movies that look better than the majority of Ghibli movies while still being more interesting and entertaining
>Japan can't even make background CG look passable

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
As of yet the only reason

Americans are the masters of CG and software stuff and Japan is like at least 10 years behind.

Do you know how expensive that kind of rendering is? Japs don't have that kind of money.

That is what I'm saying. Those things are just tools, they can be used properly or not, but they are not inherently bad. It's not the fault of digital coloring that most directors in the industry don't know how to use them well. That's why digital animation is better: it offers more tools which allow for more creativity, variety, and freedom. The only advantage that cell animation has over digital is the ability to have messier lines because they don't need to be cleaned up for coloring. The other thing is film grain but that can be emulated by digital easily and it also has the downside that you can't avoid it when using cell animation, and that makes it so all cell animated shows look more similar. Instead of being a tool that gives creative freedom, it's a restriction.

I'd say the current aesthetic design of most modern anime has to do more with the popularity of super flat design in Japan and $$$ than it does with digital animation itself.

There are too many studios making too many shows that don't make any money, so they cut fucking corners everywhere.

It's faster to do so we get more anime each season as a result.

How do they do their AAA games then?

>comparing videogames, feature movies and weekly anime
You can't be this retarded

Ghibli should, but those fuckers act like it's still 1960 so they'll never bother.

That's nothing.
youtube.com/watch?v=7nMo8duNJNU

There's nothing wrong with digital animation, more animators are working digitally over pencil and paper these days, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the standard.

Digital colouring and composite could be better on average though. There's so much potential but only a handful are doing interesting things with the technology available. Shingo Yamashita has done some great digital photography in the works he directed and I must say his approach looks great.
youtube.com/watch?v=QuaRNaWPOt8
youtube.com/watch?v=8oEyp-0xtwg
youtube.com/watch?v=g2TZExeJzIk
dailymotion.com/video/x4k2u0j

Animators like Mitsuo Iso and Kou Yoshinari are pretty good too.

youtu.be/r0KIUKXFrV8

I can forgive bad animation if the story is good.

I can't forgive a shit story even if the animation is good.

Why the fuck should Ghibli switch to full CGI animation?

I hate how crisp and clean digital shit looks, probably why I've been falling out with anime.

>wanting Ghibli to switch to CGI

games with blur and bloom are shit.

Too bad it took almost a year to do a 5 minute scene.

>Ghibli should
Ghibli's most expensive movie was Kaguya, at $50M. I believe this was also the most expensive anime ever. Zootopia had a $150M budget.

has there even been a show with cel-shading in the last 10 years?

berserk

That pic doesn't show anything bad with digital animation. It shows that the art director for the Rebuilds really likes darker shades, which you may or may not like. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Rebuilds were digitally animated.

Nah, Japan is way better at digital 2D animation, US is way better at digital 3D animation. Both went in different directions when the age of digitisation hit, and now both have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither is better than the other overall.

i mean the new one

>I don't like anime now that it looks good

>US is way better at digital 3D animation.

3D movies look like shit.

That ps2 animation looks like shit compared to this

It looks like it has no soul, It probably is just autism. It's salt on the wound more so when I have to see that jarring disgusting 3D shit also in the same place as that digital shit.

That's your opinion. US is still way better at making them than Japan objectively.

I can agree with that at least.

>having absolutely zero texture looks "good"

Get off the computer, grampa

The animation was better in the manga.

>animation
>posts stills

>Digital
I don't think this means what you think it means, OP.

>texture

"digital animation" has been a thing for years

this whole topic seems to be confusing a lot of people, most of whom don't know anything at all

digital animation covers a spectrum of areas not just CGI. i'm not even sure what the fuck OP is trying to discuss here.

He wants cells to be used for everything forever.

Yes, texture.

Thank you for further elucidating that you're an absolute philistine.

is this from the mononoke art book?

The frames of the original Evangelion series were drawn on paper by hand. Hence hand drawn animation.
The frames of the Rebuilds were drawnn on a computer with a mouse. Hence digital animation.
OP is saying that the Rebuilds look worse because of this. He's retarded.

>Digital master race

>mouse

You probably havent even seen Escaflowne, dont @ me again

But most of the rebuilds were drawn on paper and then scanned like 99% of anime nowadays.

The only things that were 100% digital were the Evas, the Angels, and some buldings

>only a matter of time before it becomes the standard.
Are you retarded? It's been the standard for years.

>speed lines

what the fuck was that slideshow?

yeah, it's really great.

>he draws with his keyboard

lmao dude

Sometimes restriction means rigor and striving, and freedom means complacency and degeneration. With traditional animation, significant attention had to be paid to composition and shading to get a desired effect, while certain looks were harder or even impossible to achieve, what they did manage to make looked as good as it could for its aesthetic to make up for the restricted range. With digital, all the additional freedom and potential has done is enable artists to lazily wank off with filters, bloom, and shitty effects. While one could say that in theory the new potential could only positively affect the output of a theoretical ideal artist, the artists we have are real people, and like in the real world as technology and potential has advanced, greater freedom and ease of ability leads not to a rennaisance of vigorous craft and effort with new tools wielded alongside old as needed, but instead to a newly lazy and complacent masses leaning on their newest crutch, losing entirely the ability to do anything without it and letting the craft of generations languish until it finally dies before the easy shortcuts that have replaced it. Just look back upon the innumerable crafts that have died before the innovations that were meant to merely augment them, and don't wonder why animation is next in line.

How is that any different from literally everything having the same grainy texture? Put a dusty screen over your monitor and that's literally the same effect. At least digital animation can pick between having it or not having it. Most of they time they choose not to have it because it's a defect of cell animation, not an advantage.

>Google says this isn't pasta
What the fuck.

Digital animation is still drawn on paper by hand.

This.

Not digital key animation. Much of it is still drawn with pencil.

This. Anime was born from attempts to emulate American animation without an American budget. Without those constraints its getting lame as fuck.

They aren't tough. Correct brightness, color and exposition are dependent of a good TRANSFER.

Op just took a bad example. Pic related.

Nichijou is one of the very, very few anime actually striving for aesthetics I can think of that uses digital animation in a way that looks good instead of merely drowning everything in filters and calling it art. It's probably because it actually embraced a brightly colorful style instead of aiming for the bloomed and faded monotony that almost all modern "good looking" anime think is what everything should look like.

Film grain isn't even what we were referring to, retard.

>filters
What. Very few anime drown things in filters.

Then give an example of other textures in cell animation please

>
The only things that were 100% digital were the Evas, the Angels, and some buldings

Actually only on some scenes Evas on rebuild are CGs, mostly when they are running far away or movin statically around before being launch. Pic related is 100% hand drawn Eva. Only the coloring is done in the computer.

Because I'm not a brain dead child who needs all anime to be so cost ineffective that it kills itself to be good.

A good story can save less than stellar animation
Good animation can't save a shit story, which is why Bones has so many fucking flops.

You're watching a product meant to sell you something. Acknowledge that before bitching

It's not CGI animation.

Oh my fucking god, we're talking about visual texture, not the actual physical texture of the surface.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_(visual_arts)

Key frames are. Inbetween frames, details, backgrounds, colouring and shading is done digitally. Even then, the key frames can and often are edited digitally even after they're drawn by hand.

They put that level of detail into video games...

its faster. cheaper. You can't really draw explosions so 3D does explosions better.

You do realize acrylic painting is almost pefectly smooth and devoid of texture? You do realize that a wide variety of texture can be added to digital animation and that paiting with other paint non-acrylic is a pain in the ass analogically and almost no one did that outside of the experimental realm? I prefer analogical myself but you just went full retarded.

Here is a sharp I frame of Eva's EoE. The paiting is clearly flat as fuck
The only "texture" that is the film grain which is not part of the artistic process creation itself.

I don't see any examples here

>You can't really draw explosions

You either need to watch more anime or correct your shit taste.

Right looks way better

>adding blur makes it better!
the eye will naturally blur things, adding blur such as in pic related is fucking cancer

>You can't really draw explosions so 3D does explosions better.
YOU WUT MATE?!
youtube.com/watch?v=4LXIIn_5lqk

Most inbetweens are done by interns and Korean slaves, very few studios, if any, use motion tweening