Does God Truly Exist?

>Do you believe in God user?

I've been in deep thought about God as of late..
I think to myself.. could a God truly exist? If so.. how can he exist? Well i'd like to share some of my thoughts with you on this subject if you wanna take the time to read all i have to offer you. Also, please keep the comments mature, we may all disagree on a particular subject, but if we all start to argue it won't benefit anything nor will it contribute to anything.

So to get things started i don't necessarily follow any particular organized religion.. but i do however think the chances of an intelligent entity with great power really does exist. And i'll explain my reasoning for this the best i can.
Have you ever thought about the likelihood of life even being able to exist... for complex life to take form without any motive? Think of life as a complex watch.. if you had all the parts to this watch what would the chances be for you to throw all the pieces in the air and expect them to all fall in place to form a working watch? I've heard one person put it this way.. it would be more likely for a blind man to pick out a specific grain of sand on a wide open sandy beach on his very first try. So what i'm trying to say, is that life is far too complex for life to exist by chance, it would take a creator to make such a thing possible, and i know it could be hard to wrap your mind around an entity that is Alpha and Omega but.. we all know something comes from something.. nothing cannot create nothing. >Prt 1

Other urls found in this thread:

rationalresponders.com/tacitus_lucian_and_josephus
youtube.com/watch?v=wikKRYcfaro
youtube.com/watch?v=6JVXbk8Ri2A
youtube.com/watch?v=PDWH96C0hTs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Prt 2

You eatheir believe something came from something or that nothing came from nothing.. it's very straightforward so do not try to split frog hairs and make things complex. it's hard for us to comprehend the spiritual realities because we're physical beings.. if i had a portal that led to the spirit realm and you stepped through it; i believe you would cease to exist, because you were never born in the spirit realm nor did you have a spiritual body waiting for you. I'd say this powerful entity opened up a new reality (The physical reality) through means of the Bigbang, and i believe he can do it again with many other realities that we cannot even begin comprehend because again we were not ever born there. We were born in this physical realm and we understand physical things, that's why our thinking seems to hit a wall when we try wrapping our heads around infinity or spiritual realities, what i'm trying to say user.. it that there is something out there that you and i cannot even begin to comprehend.

I do have much more to add; however i don't think i can share everything, so i shared what little i could with you all, perhaps it will spring new thoughts within you.. or maybe not.

So, do you believe a God exist?

rationalresponders.com/tacitus_lucian_and_josephus

no

A link for a link

youtube.com/watch?v=wikKRYcfaro

What does render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's mean to you?

"Render unto Caesar" is the beginning of a phrase attributed to Jesus in the synoptic gospels, which reads in full, "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"

I'm not familiar with the passage but caesar is a title meaning king, not a name. Koenig, Kaiser, arguably Tzar and King are all derived from that origin

>Does God Truly Exist?

Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=6JVXbk8Ri2A

What does it mean to you?

Does it mean you should pay your taxes?

I rather not be an outcast nor will i try to cause trouble. so yes, i'll pay my taxes.

Yes, he does

Fuck off reprobate scum
Romans 1
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them

You're using Bible passages. How does that prove that it's a reliable source

>Does God Truly Exist?

Nobody knows. But I'm putting my money on no.

no, because there should be at least 1 sign by now, fuck off. just one thing to make it clear

but you are free to belief sure, if it helps you all the best. just stop fucking children thanks

>does God exist
Yes, but it ain't the retarded ass christian interpretation

Bible passages much like legitimate certified documents have proven to stay true to their word and hold many truths, so why not use bible passages?

Example: Before anyone knew the bible confirmed the Earth to be round and floats upon nothing.

You do have at least one sign, "Your existence"

Please dig deep into the meaning of life, do not wait for the answers to come to you.

i would concede that a god could exist IF that being has a similar relationship to another superior being as we do to him (that is, a god should have his own god).

I won't say no, but that cycle of one god being more powerful the the previous god would mean that there is an endless loop of "more powerful god" I believe God is alpha and omega and cannot gain nor lose power, he cannot learn anything new nor can he forget anything. He is the same 1 trillion years ago and he's the same 1 trillion years into the future. Malachi 3:6: For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

or the cousin fucking muhamed

Yes
God is real
Problem js Most people can't even define "god' so they get easily confused

How's those Islamic-run civilizations going Muh-hammad?

Oh, still backwards shitholes that produce and export nothing but murder, oil and more islam? Colour me flabbergasted.
I'm sure Islam just hasn't been implemented properly, right?

Since very young (8-10 years old maybe?) i was atheist. Around 18-20 years old became agnostic.

I currently believe in God, but not religion (not sure if there's a specific name for this).

I found the causality and infinite regression issue to be convincing. Something had to just exist or create itself. Whatever that is is god.

Because it's God's word. And I'm telling the reprobate to fuck off.

Yes, spiritual realities are basically impossible for physical beings such as us to try and comprehend God the one who is alpha and omega has always existed.

Let me put it his way.. does it make more sense for nothing to exist first or for something to exist first.

Because if nothing existed first.. how in the world did anything get here.

well you are presupposing the bible is infallible. As an agnostic, i just cant get on board with that. I see relationships in the world among superior/inferior beings (ex. humans and gut flora). I would expect a relationship with God or a god to be similar, and then would logically expect the same hierarchy for all levels of life or consciousness.

I consider this because of the (supposed) infinity of the universe; that is why an 'endless loop' of gods isn't necessarily illogical to me, even though that's not how i personally approach the musing of God and gods.

It is conversations like these that caused me to transition into an agnostic mindset. Because we are just not at a level where we can prove or disprove a deity. And even if we could disprove the ones we have, who's to say that we don't have the whole premise wrong? What if none of our current deities are the right one(s)?
We live in a beautiful, complex, natural world. It's hard to look at that and say there is no Creator. But at the same time, it's hard to chock it all up to "just because S/he thought it'd be fun".
Science is the best way to get to the question, but the answer (I think) will always be a mystery. Let's enjoy the world for what it is during our short existence.

Meant to take off meme flag.

A God that gives his own creations terrible diseases and sicknesses.
Gives the excuse of free will as his reason for not giving a fuck about his own creations suffering on the world he made.

What God would do this?

Maybe. Maybe not. If a God does exist it certainly isn't the Abrahamic one.

Also i forgot to put it this way.

Do you know about the paradox of the old boat and the new boat? If you swapped parts with the old boat with the new boat and swapped parts of the new boat with the old boat.. which boat is the original one? To answer this question you need to forget the concept on which one is the original one, because neither of them are the original anymore.. once you swapped the parts with the new boat with the old boat the "original" title flew right out the window.. now you have a boat with old parts and new parts on it, it's that simple.

Another one.. is the glass half empty or half full?

Well were you drinking from it first or were you filling it up first? You see to answer such question it may not be such a paradox. How could something come from nothing? This being a paradox because we lack understand on spiritual realities. therefor we are left with a loop of a question with no answer. But i'd say to answer this seemingly impossible paradox is just to simply believe something has always existed.

What a load of bullshit that picture is. 0 degrees longitude could have been set anywhere. And it certainly wasn't set in ancient Egypt times.

>the existence of the universe
>the origin of life
>the emergence of intelligence

until science can explain any of the 3, which will never happen, it is not possible to believe there is no God

Not god, Satan. Revelation 12:12: Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea; with great fury the devil has come down to you, knowing he has only a short time.”

I believe a god exists, but I'm not sure which religion best describes him, I think it's impossible to know.

then come down now and drive satan out.
why all the waiting around.. TCB.

You need to define God first. All the attributes (except one being a possible source of creation for our universe) applied by religion for God(s) are incorrect.

He is, and i believe he will soon. I believe were truly living in the end times. Once the dark ages have passed we have all entered into the final stage of this world. Slow it may be in your eyes, but in the future former thing will not be called to mind.

You may think your pain in this world should cause god to speed up his set time and date, but the world doesn't revolve around you nor does it revolve around me.. I do not believe you will go to hell when you die no matter how wicked you are nor to i believe you'll go to Heaven. you will fall into a deep sleep, aware of nothing, the bible even says so it's self "For the dead are aware or nothing" And the things you loved and hated have vanished. You only have to be strong for a short period of time (your life) Soon he will call you from the dirt.

I am suffering to, but i do believe things are coming to an end.

Also i'm truly sorry you are having to witness such horrible things in this world and live in it, i feel for you truly. But take comfort in knowing this world time is coming to and end.

Pliny the elder , josephus and roman historian Tacitus all reference christ

Why do you need more than one? Do you want 3?

If you look around you, at the vast complexity and variety and beauty of life, of each creation, there's no question that each thing was individually created. It could only be by God.

And if you look on your life, and the lives of people around you- at the things that cannot possibly be accidental or coincidental, there can be no question that God, or through his angels, is taking care of us down to the most minute detail.

Yes, i very much agree.

Whether God exists is unknowable, and doesn't really matter either way.
The Father loves you eternally, and Jesus sacrificed himself for you. Feel that eternal love and spread it.

There are 2,870 known deities created by man. I disbelieve in all of them.

1) Life doesn't exist by chance, it exists as the result of billions of layers of death and selection. Literally the anarchistic process of "does this work? no. does this work? no. does this work? no. does this work?... yes!" over and over and over and over and over again, from simple self-replicating chemicals, eventually to complex organic life.

The process in fact has a strange inevitability about it; it's something that, once begun, will just happen.
The feeling of strangeness comes from the ironic disconnect between being conscious in the same infinite sized haystack as the needle of life itself, the unthinking brain asks "wow, what are the odds that i'd be right here on earth where all this life exists instead of one of the trillions of dead rocks out there..."
The answer is of course 100% because life is the only way to 'observe' on a rudimentary level in the first place, but it nevertheless feels like some crazy lottery pick.

And this is really just a chemical extension of what the universe is already doing; evolving, condensing, a few basic mathematically derived laws bouncing off each other (the basic forces) to create another level of physical manifestations of those laws, that when paired in certain sequences (subatomic particles; they can only be paired in these ways, for they literally don't work any other way) give rise to yet another level of physical manifestations in their pairing (atoms) which can then pair in even more complex ways, because there's more combinations than the rudimentary things they're made of (making molecules), which then, if they form chains of carbon-structured molecules (has to be carbon because carbon is like molecular glue, it's very happy with being bound with almost anything) can make huge proteins that work like little machines, and those little machines can build things or hold instructions/data, and that builds organic life...

But that's just the physical world...

... there's more...

So in a nutshell you believe if you add infinity to something it will form complex life through means of trying and trying again and again, correct?

I looked for God my whole life, in physics and metaphysics, bit like Descartes. I found Him in treatment for addiction.

Not quite, infinity isn't needed at all, just a long-ass time and a lot of proverbial Petri dishes. (13.whatever billion years and trillions upon trillions of planets orbiting stars should do it).
The thing about chemistry is it isn't just a bunch of benign Lego blocks waiting to be blown together; once certain molecules form, they can create positive feedback loops that greatly tip the scales of chance in the flavour of making more of themselves, and once that happens, life is cooking... slowly...

cont...
2) We are the owners of sensation in this universe, otherwise blind to itself, and the universe reflects its most basic truths upward.
That is to say, the fundamental mechanisms through which the universe not only is able to exist, double as the weight under which the universe is crushingly ONLY able to exist, for things will always take the path of least resistance. The universe is a collection of forces collapsing over each other and condensing into what we see now.

So with that in mind...
... that IS in our minds.
Literally.
Our minds are a construct marinated in the waters of this universe and how it functions, and so things manifest themselves from us, the same way molecules manifest from atoms, and atoms manifest from protons, electrons and neutrons, and those manifest from quarks and other subatomics and so on, all the way down the pyramid of possibility.
Our minds manifest truths about the world; science and technology, but also philosophy, but more than that, we manifested the concept of 'gods' or 'God'.

So what the hell is that?
In its purest form, it is a hologram; a projected imagining of meta phenomena within the universe itself; things that happen and cannot be denied, things that happen and cannot be stopped, ways in which the universe flows around and in itself - God is mankind's best attempt at crystallising the universe as a whole, not in the sense of its constituent parts (molecules, atoms, energy etc...) but as the actual entire thing made of those parts.
What it's like, how it behaves, what it does to things and people who step out of line / try to attempt things that go against the crushing order i mentioned previously.

That's what God is, and it's very, very real.

God is knowledge of the universe AND the personality of the universe.

... but there's more!

What the fuck is a god? Are you crazy?

This isn't the place to find him if he does.

I'll explain that one next.

I don't know what you're even talking about?

Would you support religious exemptions to female circumcision law for sincerely held beliefs by Muslim families and doctors?

Learn about Thomas Paine. If everyone thought as he, we'd have utopia

Yes, clearly.

Free will cannot exist in purely material world, yet I observe my ability to make choices every day with the same faculties that bring me all of the evidence supporting the fact of a material world.

So clearly either my free will derives from a metaphysical reality or I am a deluded automaton. If I am a deluded automaton then I cannot choose to believe in a metaphysical realm and be wrong, since I cannot make choices at all. And if I have the power to choose, and choose to believe that the world is purely physical, then I am also stating that I have no power to choose, since the physical world knows only cause and effect.

So if I assert my power to choose by in fact making a choice then the only reasonable choice is to assert that a metaphysical world exists, one which supports my ability to make choices.

Beyond that I know nothing of the nature of this realm, but I do like some of the stories.

So lastly we arrive at the inevitable questions:
>Why do you need to portray God as this scowling old man cruising around in the clouds?
>If God is nothing other than the natural incline of the universe and the descriptions of how that incline can fuck us over (and how to avoid it if possible) why not just say that?
>Aren't we more advanced than this, people should just know!

Well, we simply aren't more advanced than this; a select few people have, in the confines of their own minds formed a soft putty of a general idea of the truths of the universe, but it simply isn't good enough. Case in point:
Words.

Now, I could take a rock in my hand and argue the case that giving it the name "rock" is stupid and pointless. We all know what a damn rock is. They're fucking everywhere. The earth is literally made of these fucking things. They're all around us. Why take the time to encapsulate the concept of "a rock" into speech?
Because it's fucking expedient! It's useful! I can stimulate your brain and you can stimulate mine to think about a thing, regardless of if I have one in my hand just by mentioning the word. "a rock" - you're imagining a fucking rock, there is no rock here. This is the power of words and the foundation of gods.

See (and I promise I'll get to the god bit soon) - when I say "rock", what happens in your head REALLY, is you're imagining "the meta-rock" - basically, a mishmash mental image of all the rocks you've ever seen in your life, plus your own imaginings of what rocks COULD look like given your knowledge of their properties.

The power of words; to speak things into existence.

And this part-way to being a god.
In ancient times, if I were to say "Thor", what you'd imagine, just like the rock, is a meta-collection of thunderstorms; all the thunderstorms you've ever seen, plus your imagination of what thunderstorms COULD be like, given your knowledge of their properties...

... So why not just say "thunderstorm" and be done with it? That's enough, right?

No.
A thunderstorm is a dead thing; it's complicated, confusing, scary and it will fuck your shit up if you aren't careful. It's a thing that deserves respect. Which makes no sense.

Respect is a human construct reserved for other humans; it arises out of pack and tribe dynamics - You respect powerful humans, you can bargain with them, appease them, understand them and perhaps even be friends or peers with them. As well; dodgy looking humans who seem a bit nuts, who you need to keep an eye on because they're erratic need a measure of respect.

And that's why we give meta phenomena like thunderstorms faces and meta names - names that don't represent "a storm" like our current hurricane naming system, but one that represents all the storms ever past present and future, and they get a name and a face because humans identified these are undeniable occurrences that are worthy of being paid attention to, not only on the same level as a human but MORE than that; much more than that. No human can fuck your shit up worse than the mother of all storms. No human can stand before a god. Thor cannot die, only his name can be forgotten. That's what a god is.

And that's what the God of the bible is - it's this concept taken to the nth degree; instead of picking a single prickly or dangerous meta-subject worthy of your respect like thunderstorms, earthquakes, love, hate, war and such, God is the key understanding that the universe contains and IS all of those things at the same time; and you need to respect and watch out for fucking all of them.

Paganism fell to the wayside because a single god is much more expedient for describing the dangers of the world, but in its simplicity, it's easy to forsake or misunderstand, and trip into Atheist lines of thought, technically correct though they may be.

No one can prove God or gods exists.
And no one can prove they do not.
Because of this religion arises.
And it's not going away.
But what we can do is agree on the best use for religion as it relates to man and how we interact with one another. Looking at religious figures in terms of memes satisfies both the mystical and the scientific mind because it does not say deity is non-existent nor that it exists. The goal is to play with perspective.

>Buddha represents inner peace
>Kukai represents finding perfection in this life
>Moses represents kikery
>Jesus represents altruism which is the final act of love

Devotees of these teachers are all striving to acquire the same virtues which turned these people into spiritual masters. And this is the key to unifying the religions: If I am a Christian and I realize Paganism is a religion which promotes a healthy family unit, I can appreciate this aspect of the religion and can even adopt it if I before cared little for family. And the Pagan can see that the altruism taught in Christianity is good and they can adopt it. Likewise, the atheist may understand the need for inner peace and appreciate the Buddha who eloquently taught the Way, even beginning a meditative practice, all without becoming a Buddhist.

Religion must become spirituality because spirituality is only a set of perspectives through which we may think upon the unfathomable One.

In all things, regardless of faith, love yourself and others.

> What a load of bullshit that picture is. 0 degrees longitude could have been set anywhere. And it certainly wasn't set in ancient Egypt times.

Of course it wasn't set in ancient Egypt times - that's why they're called "gods" not "men" - they know the past and future and can control the fates of men.

It is a prophecy and has come to pass.

youtube.com/watch?v=PDWH96C0hTs

of course user, gods always had my back, whatever I've done. When I got jumped by three fuckwits in that darkened parking lot three years ago who saved me, it wasn't the cops or my family, No user, God stepped out that shitty pickup truck he tools around with with that baseball bat and caved one of those fuckers skulls in. Thats right user god came to me that day, and he beat the shit out of those assholes til they had to have assistance to scrape their asses off the asphalt of that shitty tacobell parking lot

he's probably some lovecraftian horror that doesn't give a fuck

Teach people to use firearms. You have to respect a firearm that way, AND you get to control it. You learn the concept of respecting hazards without learning to be helpless before a world of things before which you cannot stand.

>Before anyone knew the bible confirmed the Earth to be round
Aren't you confusing flat disk circle with "round"?

The original Greek does not say anything about a "circle"

Job 26:10 πρόσταγμα ἐγύρωσεν ἐπὶ πρόσωπον ὕδατος μέχρι συντελείας φωτὸς μετὰ σkότους.

yes he died for our sins

>Pliny the elder , josephus and roman historian Tacitus all reference christ
They made brief mentions of the fact that believers of Jesus were at some point in the news. Tacitus, Pliny and Jospehus lived decades later and never recorded even a 2nd hand account. I can say I know people who believe in the Yeti, but that doesn't mean there are any Yetis.