You can't make this shit up

You can't make this shit up.

Other urls found in this thread:

sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/19656/animated-artist_unknown-effects-kyoukai_no_kanata-
youtube.com/watch?v=ndmcRDWSj20
youtube.com/watch?v=L49mJLk_w1U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shaft knows it can make millions off of a "simplistic style" just by using the Monogatari name. Blame the weebs who keep funding them for less than standard bullshit.

Both of them are 90% CGI and filters.

>le Kizu looks like shit meme
The animation was fucking great. I don't get it. Is it just shitposters?

why are people comparing two completely different sources

>I made the exact same thread again!
Kill yourselves, studio war fags.

This guy sounds like someone who knows his shit.

>Is it just shitposters?
Of course it is. That's why post it over and over again.

Monogatari is shit

Most of it were flapping mouths, there was maybe like 3-4 minutes worth of sakuga, for a movie that's minimal, even an hour long movie.

Shaftfags crying

this

Why are people just now realizing that this is what Shaft does? Why are Kyoani fans the Australians of Sup Forums?

I wouldn't mind the simplistic style if it weren't for the shitty, actively distracting CG.

>just now
what made you believe this, shaft friend?

both look like absolute shit

yes yes we know how much kyoani loves using filters

>shitposters
>post webms
>no response to kino animation instead of cherrypicked stills that are there for a few seconds
Sasuga shitposters

forced animation

nice meme

If you think this is "kino animation" you need to watch better anime.

>kino animation
This is TV anime quality at best. You can tell the key frames apart, nothing has any detail but the fuckton of blush and highlights in her face and hair, etc. Everything is literally hidden by the lens flare and bloom covering up the whole screen.

Shaft's filters attempt to make the backgrounds look real while the characters are flat as fuck.
KyoAni's filters attempt to cover up the separation between character and background.

y-you too

Why does she have highlights in her face if the sun is behind her?

KYON-KUN, DENWA!

>le
>meme
Kill you are self.

>empty responses
Same thing as no response, friendo.

>he can't see the detail
Sorry.

That's her glasses retard.

Really, these are her glasses? I see. I'm guessing her thighs also have glasses in that webm you posted.

Pathetic sakuga and breast physics.

That shaft one looks amazingly realistic. You can tell the artists did their best to make it look as lifelike as possible. Those Kyoani artists just went for a basic cartoony look.

T-this is lewd user

What's in the left? The Amazing World of Gumball?

>You can tell the artists did their best to make it look as lifelike as possible
I'm guessing you're not familiar with actual professionally made archviz.

>>he can't see the detail
What detail? Look at her clothes, they're completely flat. Look at her hair, it's completely flat. Even if it had detail, the animation is bad. The movement is choppy. The whole screen is still completely covered by filters, bloom, and lens flares. If we had an original key frame for this, you'd see there are barely any lines. They basically did an outline and that's it. If it didn't have all those filters, the character animation would look no better than any season of monogatari, which is pretty bad.

>That shaft one looks amazingly realistic.
>You can tell the artists did their best to make it look as lifelike as possible.
>Those Kyoani artists just went for a basic cartoony look.
Pfft.
Pic related.

The KyoAni one looks more realistic.

The style is a little odd.
If you notice, there's stuff like the character's eyes having shadows on them in direct light (pic related) and strange lighting choices overall.
It's clearly intentional.

Is that Chitanda?

Maybe they couldn't be arsed to calculate the position of the shadows and highlights and just drew them like they were in the character sheets.

I... I...

I always wanted to fugg that paper bear.

Yes

I wish Shit would go bankrupt already.

Nah, they always have those shadows on the eyes pointing in the direction of the light source it seems

LEWD

If anything, Shaft's shows a better technical style. I don't dislike Kyoani or anything, but they really overdo it with AE particles and lighting.

And both shots look like ass desu.

This whole Kyoani vs Shaft drama is just bullshit perpetuated by retards. Studios don't matter one bit, look at the directors.

>detail
>realism
>good
Nothing is necessarily good or bad. Animation is a medium that, above all else, thrives on OMITTING detail. Both Kyoani and Shaft directors and animators do it, but they do it in different ways. Shaft shows often have higher fidelity when it comes to expressions and momentum, while Kyoani animators prefer environmental detail and lighting. There's nothing wrong with either. All animation is based on omission.

That's not true
It's not all filters
And there's nothing wrong with either style.

can i have source of this picture user
>google failed me

>If anything, Shaft's shows a better technical style
b8

You're right. Prepare to be shitposted.

It's true. Neither is good per se, but when it comes to technical elements, Shaft's CG and AE team is far more experienced than Kyoani's CG and AE team.

That doesn't make the shows better, but just one aspect is superior because they have more experience.

Based on its filename, It's from imgur.

Guaranteed replies, though.

The technical aspects of Hibike go beyond anything in Kizu.

>You are

nice meme

Do you mean the show or the book with the drawings?

>Nothing is necessarily good or bad. Animation is a medium that, above all else, thrives on OMITTING detail. Both Kyoani and Shaft directors and animators do it, but they do it in different ways. Shaft shows often have higher fidelity when it comes to expressions and momentum, while Kyoani animators prefer environmental detail and lighting. There's nothing wrong with either. All animation is based on omission.
First of all, those images aren't "realism". Lack of detail can look good when juxtaposed with a fitting style for backgrounds, but this is not the case.

>Shaft's CG and AE team is far more experienced than Kyoani's CG and AE team.
Nah mate, there's too much notable aliasing in the number of CG background shots in their works and KyoAni's CG team tends to do a pretty good job with CG mobs and vehicles unlike Shaft.

>SHAFTfags will literally defend this

>kino animation

Fuck off.

Of course they will, the drones don't even care that their movie looks worse than the TV version.

If you're talking about the linework, coloring, etc. Sure. By far. solid keys and genga has always been a strength of Kyoani's. That's why I collect a lot of their sketchs and keyframes and shit - they're absolutely beautiful.

But Kyoani's digital department is ass.

>First of all, those images aren't "realism". Lack of detail can look good when juxtaposed with a fitting style for backgrounds, but this is not the case.

True, but Oishi's style has always been centered around feelings of isolation and disassociation. Look at the original Bake, or his work on Hidasketch. The sanitized, geometric scenery and backgrounds are there to add to the sense of disconnect.

Some of Bake and Kizu's staff worked on Utena with Ikuhara, and you can see that style really spill over when you watch Takeuchi's cuts.

>Nah mate, there's too much notable aliasing in the number of CG background shots in their works
Post an example, I honestly can't recall. And aliasing isn't an issue with their CG team, but their rendering software.

>and KyoAni's CG team tends to do a pretty good job with CG mobs and vehicles unlike Shaft.
I'm not saying they're bad at their jobs. They're bad at integrating them into their shows. Kyoani has beautiful, absolutely gorgeous hand drawn animation. But that gets hard to appreciate when you throw a hundred thousand lighting shaders, particles, sparks and filters over it. This happens all the time with Kyoani.

I'd like for them to release a bare-bones version of all their shows, with no AE, just to appreciate the art.

>centered around feelings of isolation and disassociation
I'd agree with this if the movie didn't try to distract from the lack of details of the bodies by adding excessive blush and highlights to their faces.

I think you're confusing KyoAni with ufotable here.

>The sanitized, geometric scenery and backgrounds are there to add to the sense of disconnect.

what a convenient coincidence that they happen to look like 10min blender renders.

>But that gets hard to appreciate when you throw a hundred thousand lighting shaders, particles, sparks and filters over it.
see

>Post an example, I honestly can't recall.
Shaft's TV anime tend to suffer from this, but I don't save their shows on my hard drive unfortunately.

>But that gets hard to appreciate when you throw a hundred thousand lighting shaders, particles, sparks and filters over it.
I think you're talking about GoHands instead. KyoAni's use of digital effects is more measured.

[Tao] or [Bit]? Which is better?
And what's with that resolution? 1920x816? Isn't that BD?

Is Oishi a hack? The movie was a mess.

THERE'S BD RAWS ALREADY
WHERE'S THE SUBS AND ENCODING?

Who fucking gives a shit? Why does this matter? So you can get internet points on some shitty website for autistic shut-ins?

He needs to work on something that isn't Monogatari
Bake>Kizu tho

But apparently you can get (You)s by spamming the same thread repeatedly.

>And what's with that resolution? 1920x816? Isn't that BD?
It's the aspect ratio of the film. The BD has black bars filling the rest of the 1080 pixels of height. The uploader probably just cropped the bars out.

KyoAni's filters are rarely intrusive. If anything, I'd agree that Hibike episode 1 used a bit too much blur, but other than that they help the image for the better. They use DoF filters a lot but they're used to give more depth to the image and are used correctly most of the time. The director also said that this was deliberate, meaning that it was a stylistic choice, which I'm sure you Shaftfags are familiar with, at least when damage controlling Shaft's messes.

isn't that a real photo with Koyomi drawn in?

wtf

It just isn't fair. Why can't all studios be as great as KyoAni?

The proportions in the left pic are fucked up. How fucking big is that bed really? Or the desk. Did Araragi drink a shrinking potion or something?

>Shaft's shows a better technical style

Spot the blind retard.

We had this thread yesterday

That's not an animation thing, it's a quirk of the character designer, Akio Watanabe. His work on Nurse Witch Komugi was great, and so was Grisaia(VN). But I can see why people would dislike it.

ufotable's AE department is similarly shit, but they work mostly on TM shit so who gives a fuck

Manabi Straight and Futakoi were still great.

Just because it's simple doesn't make it bad. Otherwise, Inferno Cop wouldn't be AOTYAY.

Ah, but that's quite different. Oishi's style complements the digital AE, because the animation limits itself to make the visuals not overwhelming. Count the number of colors in that scene, they're all pretty similar hues, and as a result the lighting effect isn't overwhelming.
Compare that to
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/19656/animated-artist_unknown-effects-kyoukai_no_kanata-

Where the animation is absolutely amazing but the colors and random flashes prevent you from conceptualizing it as a concrete whole.

That's something Oishi is very good with, using limited pallettes to focus attention on the mood and actual animation. A lot of net-kei animation also does this, stuff like Birdy or Tatami or Noein.

>I think you're talking about GoHands instead. KyoAni's use of digital effects is more measured.

It's more measured compared to the worst of them, yes. It's not that the final product looks bad, it's just that it masks something better.

Like putting Ketchup on a steak.

I'm not a shaftfag, I'm not a Kyoani fag. All studios have good or bad shows, and I prefer to group shows by directors rather than studio.

That said, I never said kyoani shows are bad, just that they're overzealous with the use of AE and masks good animation. Rather than other studios, whose CG is mostly to compensate for BAD animation, Kyoani's digital stuff holds them back.

But really, they're new to this and experimenting. In a decade I think they'll have it down.

this thread again

They used software tweening in this cut. Holy shit, Shaft has sunk to new lows.

It's true. While Kyoani might have a objectively superior AE team, their directors and ADs have a had time reigning them in, and as a result a lot of Kyoani shows look like J.J. Abrams vomited over them. Not that AE is a bad thing, but it has to be applied in controlled doses.

Kyoani's hand drawn and coloring departments are already so good and giving substance through their art that adding anything extra kind of ruins the balance. Kind of like throwing a filter over Yutapon sakuga. Really diminishes the impact.

SHAFT can't into proportions. That bed looks like it's made for an 8ft tall human.

>Shaft prefers to animate while KyoAni prefers creating wallpapers
Do you realize what you're saying?
Also, the idea that animation is stronger, inherently, for omitting details is just a bizarre concept.

Nothing about that cut looks flash tweened. Do you even know what that word means?

Try tweening something in flash. I dare you. It doesn't look anything like that.

Not saying that Kizu is good, or that scene is good (it's not). But you're a retard.

>not sleeping on a really big bed
Nigga you're missing out.

He wasn't sitting straight up

I was surprised that Ishihara liked Phantom World enough to research illusion for it. The animators seemed to have a lot of fun with PW.

>But that gets hard to appreciate when you throw a hundred thousand lighting shaders, particles, sparks and filters over it. This happens all the time with Kyoani
That's pretty much limited to their flashiest action scenes and Euphonium. It's a fair complaint, but it hardly applies to all of their work.

The low detail is not part of Watanabe's style at all. When other studios use his designs, they very well use plenty detail in the clothes. Shaft is just stupid lazy, and you're an idiot for eating it up.

You're a fucking blind retard like I said. Look at the proportions in the image. Araragi is a midget in a room made for giants. That's not technical prowess. That's a drafting 101 mistake. Literally deviantart tier compositing.

>Nothing about that cut looks flash tweened.

Get your eyes checked. You have no clue about anything.

Okay, but what if I LIKE all the special effects UFOtable, KyoAni, and A1 use? It took me forever to get into BONES, despite their great wirk, because their art looks flat.

Didn't you realize by the fact that he's trying so hard to defend this shit that he is biased as fuck and is not willing to look at this argument with an open mind, as well as being autistic as shit?

>Also, the idea that animation is stronger, inherently, for omitting details is just a bizarre concept.
No it's not. It's called abstraction. That's the intention for animation from day 1. Go read up on the Disney principles or even people like Tezuka. The idea of animation in general is not to present the world as it is, but to select the most important aspects and use style to emphasize it.

Wouldn't you say that Water Lillies is stronger for having omitted lighting detail? And Picasso for having omitted, like, everything? By leaving details out you give the viewer more room to focus on what's important. Kyoani does it just as much.

youtube.com/watch?v=ndmcRDWSj20

If the characters had realistic proportions and appearances and movements, their emotions and movements wouldn't be as intense.

>Shaft prefers to animate while KyoAni prefers creating wallpapers
That's not what I'm saying at all.

>That's pretty much limited to their flashiest action scenes and Euphonium. It's a fair complaint, but it hardly applies to all of their work.
True, but animation quality is most important in the most exciting and extensive scenes. Not much room for sakuga in ten minutes of lip flaps.

Not talking about low detail, I was talking about the shiny cheeks. Not that low detail is a bad thing, mind you. Again, anime was designed around ommiting detail.

Alright, it's a drafting error. I acknowledge that. But that has nothing to do with the overall aesthetic, and I was talking about the style, not individual details.

I've worked in flash before. Not an expert. but it's definitely animated on twos or threes and the jolty nature doesn't imply tweening at all.

the most I can say is that it might have used a CG model to trace over for hair physics, but that's it.

Why don't you explain why you think it's tweened?

By providing an argument rather than shitposting, I'm being biased?

Yes, which is why the image uses head counts to measure height and the various dimensions of the objects in the room. You need to visit an ophthalmologist.

>The idea of animation in general is not to present the world as it is, but to select the most important aspects and use style to emphasize it.
That's ONE thing it can do, yes.
Also, I have read the literature. It's insensible that you'd think that we haven't expanded the medium since then. Most major 3D-CG studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios included, do their best to get the most detail possible into their works.
>Picasso
Yes, ONE painter made great work on that principle. But then Da Vinci wouldn't be the revolutionary he was if he hadn't used art to mimic life as closely as possible.

I wasn't saying that he wasn't an ant in a giant's room.

>By providing an argument rather than shitposting, I'm being biased?
No, but by blindly defending this piece of shit. The filters are so intrusive and bad that you can barely see the character at all, and you call it "complementing" because it's pappy Oishi whose dick is apparently stuck in your mouth. And then you see KyoAni's effects, which never get to that point, and you call them "overzealous" and "masking". This shot makes a better use of filters and digital effects of what SHART could ever even dream of doing. That's how you're being biased.

Wow look, the same thread with the same responses. I have no idea how your fishing pole hasn't broken yet

I don't think it's trying to distract from anything, I'm pretty sure Oishi just likes how the flat colours + blush style looks. He did the same thing in his Maria Holic OP (honestly, the whole thing looks like a Kizu prototype).

youtube.com/watch?v=L49mJLk_w1U

>Not much room for sakuga in ten minutes of lip flaps.
You're saying this about KyoAni, the studio renowned for their efforts towards mundane character animation?