Does the foreign market matter at all?

Does the foreign market matter at all?

Does the manga and anime industry even see money from overseas? People are so used to scansites, streams, and torrents that even though there are millions of readers and viewers making fan art, it doesn't seem like anyone cares.

Every once in a while you'll have a show that's a hit like Boku no Hero is big in the West, but overall... does anyone in Japan care about foreigners? If not foreigners themselves, how about foreign money?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no newfag

No, and I think it's for the better.
Just look at the atrocious western comic industry: still milking the shit out of batman and superman after 70 years.

Before going into how Japan sees the foreign market, it can be more informative to see how the foreign market sees anime. If it really was so profitable companies should be waiting in line and paying huge sums to get licensing rights, but that's not exactly the case.

Japan doesn't give a shit about the foreign market as far as anime/manga goes.
Third bomb when?

Netflix has been funding a few season and series. Knights of Sidonia and the recently announced Blame! movie.

DBZ games do gangbuster sales.

So it's not like no one cares.

The niche shit doesn't fly, but there's enough of a market that fan conventions will hire J-Rock bands and VA's to make an appearance. It has to add up, right?

There are streaming sites in China that helps to some degree. As for Crunchyroll, only Trigger gives a shit about them.

anime as a whole doesn't sell well
everything you listed is niche shit compared to the big names in the west

Hulu has Silmulcasting up too. Or at most, 1 day late.

Netflix likes to keep season on hand. Last I checked, the Monogatari series was on there.

So it's not like the studios are turning down Western streams.

Because Japan usually don't milk shit out of series and create lots of them. The profit comes from variety and quantity.

>A bajillion series where some NEET gets sucked into fantasy land with video game mechanics and hot chicks

Such variety.

Batman and Superman aren't what is wrong with the American Comic industry, it is the fucking attempt to reach a "larger audience" by fucking neutering your franchises (i.e. Thor) that is what is wrong with the industry.

The creator of every series I've pirated has personally walked into my room and given me a dirty look with their arms crossed before shaking their head and walking away back to their country

you must have a big room

I don't so they stand uncomfortably close

If you want to go back it's more of an issue of having Comics Code authority and more or less strangling the creative freedom for main stream comics.

The Western Comic industry exists to pump out tv shows and movies that can appeal to everyone and make tons of money.

Comics are like prototypes and test runs before they make the real thing for mass production.

Very ford-esque

>There are streaming sites in China that helps to some degree

99.9% of Chinese anime viewers pay 0 for it.

>Does the foreign market matter at all?

For anime series getting funded/made? Fuck no.

For mech licensing for anyone but the anime studio? Yes, that's where the real market is for foreign sales.

speaking of foreign money
say i buy 30k worth of BD/mech straight from the source
could i fund say a S2?

Realistically they'd slice your guts open with a katana.

30K is too small to have an impact for direct sales.

A better bet is to partly fund a new season, but that would take way more money. A normal 13 episode season is around 2 million bucks. Even partial funding, I'm sure you'd have to kick in like 400 thousand or so.

>The Western Comic industry exists to pump out tv shows and movies that can appeal to everyone and make tons of money

So.. like anime?

Considering how production cost for one 12 episode anime is around 2.5 million, no.

I see.
Well then time to make some calls.

Isn't the anime market itself niche? I mean, it's so reliant on a small audience that the merch is jacked up to shit. 4 or 5 episodes for like $60.00 or more. That's insane.

Western comics adapted to different mediums have way more appeal.

But this makes me wonder, how do adapted dramas sell? Wouldn't dramas attract way more causal audiences in Japan and the East Asian Market?

People eat up Korean dramas. Why not anime or manga adapted dramas?

>So.. like anime?

Sorta, however in the west physical merchandise like toys/books/video games/art are where the real profits are made. A TV show is lucky to break even most of the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw

Space balls explained it well, it's more about things that the show/series spawns off than the profits from the shot directly.

The majority of the money the industry cares about comes from merchandise.

So while people in western countries are streaming anime for free the industry is still racking in millions from buyfags who actually purchase and import things.

So the content creators don't care because they get no money from foreigners except maybe a small amount from buyfags buying tankobon, but studios and publishers accept foreigners and try to milk them?

How do they try to appeal then? Or is it just a happy bonus they don't put thought into?

Naruto makes tons of money off manga(autistic people want the physical copies), video games(especially the storm games), and merchandise, People still buy Bleach Mangas but I dont think enough people do for it to matter, One Punch Man is doing well.

>How do they try to appeal then?
If you write an anime that can appeal to foreign audiences, as well as japan, the studio and publishers are more likely to accept your ideas since they will end up making larger profits.

Foreign profits probably aren't thought about in the initial talks when an anime is pitched, but is most likely taken into consideration at some point of funding.

>People eat up Korean dramas. Why not anime or manga adapted dramas?

It's happened from time to time, see Hana Yori Dango.

Not to mention Toonami is investing a good amount in anime rights now. They practically funded all of space dandy if I recall, and are gobbling rights to other airing shows.

So, what western countries matter most?

USA, Germany, France, anything else?

It's probably more like North Americas>Europe. I doubt they are caring about specific countries but I am certain if they do USA is probably the largest buyer.

It's funny because it's probable that there are more americans who watch anime than Japanese, yet because we pirate everything they get nothing from it.

In a way that's good because it's created this unique dynamic where even though lots of people are into it, 99.9% of anime will remain unaffected by the western fanbase and thus not be changed in order to pander to it.

It means that it can be widespread yet very localized in form at the same time. Anime will always be "japanese", save for studios like trigger which are alright in their own way.

>Europe
I mean from the perspective of the countries themselves. I live in european country and anime is pretty much nonexistent here.
Unlike France, where you can get lots of anime officially translated into french.

Then USA hands down

Let's look at it from another perspective. Is there anything Western that Japan really gives a shit about?

Hollywood movies, fashion, and music sure. But that's like the result of carefully planned marketing campaign and America being a cultural juggernaut.

Is there anything niche in America that Japan finds entertaining?

(you)

Japan goes crazy over South Park more so than the US does.

Would they even understand the social issues the new season are making fun of?

Harry potter
I'm not even joking

You know I remember seeing a site like 6 years ago that had South Park episodes that were dubbed in Japanese and had the nico comments overlaid, with translations for the comments for people in the West to look at. Before the whole reaction video shit got popular

Anyone know that site?

English speaking countries > rest of the world.

>Is there anything Western that Japan really gives a shit about?

Western Movies, anything with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a fuck load of shitty sitcoms

Japan is ouiaboo country

I thought humor translated like crappiest unless it was physical. Not a lot of slapstick these days.

Sorry, but no. Someone else will have to dig up the yaraon link, but it's already known that fig sales and such hardly count for anything. BD sales are where the money comes from.

Japan has spent over 150 years producing and exporting goods made to Western specs. This includes anime - a lot of well-known cartoons from the 70's onwards were outsourced to Japan as a cost-saving measure (similar to what's happening with Korea today). They are not allergic to Western tastes.

In addition to the export market, Japan has a large and well-developed domestic market. That's what they get for being a big country - they don't have to compromise on shows made for a global or foreign audience. The fact that a Western audience exists for domestic Japanese content is merely a coincidence.

Then how come everyone online talks about how the domestic market is so limited because otaku are an extreme minority and how anime cannibalized itself and made it so insular?

Merchandise generates far more profit, and can be sold without any localization/translation necessary - so it's beneficial for a series to be well-known, if only so the fanbase will buy more shit to jack off to or whatever.

The domestic market is limited because the anime that gets big exposure in the West is usually unheard of within Japan. It's otaku shit like Love Live or Girls Und Panzer that have festivals thrown, generate tourism, are plastered on trains and buses, and take up 70% of the inventory in any given Melonbooks or Animate, etc etc.

t. guy who lives in Japan

But do normal office workers, school kids, and college students buy things like Love Live?

No, but like I said the average person doesn't buy merchandise, only manga. And even then, that's usually secondhand for 100円 at Book Off.

Normal people just watch Naruto, One Piece and Shin-Chan. All the shows that are critically hailed in the West are usually just on channels you have to pay extra for, and barely make any profits as it is. The branding/marketing is nearly always worth significantly more than the actual source material.

Foreign market is fucking meme
They don't even buy anime stuffs
Most of creator doesn't give a shit about foreigners from the beginning
And it's good thing

>Japanese Domestic Market
>Male Young-adult segment
>nerd sub-segment
>otaku turbo-nerd niche
Whether or not the otaku niche is sustainable, the fact that it even exists and comprises so much content goes to show you just how enormous the Japanese domestic market really is.

Even if the otaku niche is collapsing in Japan, it's merely a question of readjusting the niche's boundaries a little bit to get it back on track. You'd still have a pretty stunning amount of footage released each week to appeal to a very specialized audience.

I live in a country with a population of less than 10 million, not poor or backwards but just small. Our TV industry's output can't even satisfy the full scope of normalfag tastes every season (ie your favorite genre might only come up once a year), so highly specialized stuff like the otaku niche in Japan is completely out of the question.

>Our TV industry's output can't even satisfy the full scope of normalfag tastes
Japan only has 9 channels excluding pay per view subscription services.

Japanese Otaku/Fujoshits are the ones that buy the merchandise, buy the bd's/dvd's, create (non-shit) fan works, etc. They are the anime market. No wonder shit gets made for them. The foreign market is just an after thought. It's nice to have, but it doesn't have much of an impact because they don't bring in that much money. This is why you'll only ever see anime directed at foreign markets if there is foreign money involved. This is for the good of everyone involved. If you want to support the japanese industry, import the manga/LN/BD of whatever you like.

So what is this thread even about? Discussing the obvious? How fucking new are you?

you say like there's isn't fanatical feminism moviments and counter culture in japan

There's really not.

They've literally corralled the gays into one tiny corner of Shinjuku and counter culture is largely just subculture.

They still there tho
Now korea is going into the bad lands

South Park has always been about crazy shit happening on-screen. It's just that social commentary became more and more central to the show, with the craziness becoming derived from current events instead of just being random.

To a viewers unfamiliar with current events in America, it would be the same crazy shit it's always been. They'd only be missing the joke that the crazy events are now detailed caricatures of actual social issues in America, and not just weird stuff thought up by Parker and Stone.

>So... like anime?
Don't most of the profits from anime come from figures and stuff nowadays?

>Don't most of the profits from anime come from figures and stuff nowadays?
No? Are you retarded, or just pretending?