Cowboy bebop

Does this anime really deserve all the hype it gets, it really is an amazing anime because of it's music and art but isnt it a bit over hyped

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5CpjXR4CI
youtube.com/watch?v=nPbBhvv6GI8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No it deserves all the credit and even more

youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5CpjXR4CI

It is fairly rated, I think. If anything, Sup Forums underrates it, but that's normal because of "muh popularity".

I just finished watching it yesterday and I think it deserves all of the praise it gets.

This.
There are always contrarians and contrarians tend to be vocal, even if there probably aren't that many of them.

No, its very good even if view on its own merits. When you take into account that 95% of all anime is bottom of the barrel garbage, its a masterpiece in comparison.

its becasue you allow yourself to fall into the hype. i watch it before i even knew it was popular and it was good.

Hardly anything ever deserves the hype it gets. The praise Bebop gets as the best anime ever is usually form the people that aren't very familiar with the medium or in general don't have a very refined taste. That being said Bebop is one of the better things to come from anime and people claiming otherwise are just too self-centred.

What makes it so great though

The same thing that separates all masterpieces from mediocrities:the quality of waifus

Solid writing, great direction - both overall and animation, good animation for a tv-anime, engaging and interesting characters, fairly unique style executed well, good music etc.
Qualities that contribute to a piece of visual entertainment to be "great" and they're done well.
Whether you find the content itself interesting is a different matter.

Interesting characters, tight storyline, fucking great soundtrack, and pretty great direction.

And Faye

This. I don't even watch most of the thrash this board considers good, but Bebop is hands down one of the best things weeb animation ever produced.

I don't watch it cause I'm not a Westernfag

1. A fantastic soundtrack
2. Just the one season + a movie, keeping it contained and not dragging on for 500+ episodes
3. Pretty good rogues gallery
4. Characters who we know just enough about, instead of too much backstory that it all feels contrived
5. A fantastic soundtrack

It's a very solid series and I'm happy about the recognition it got.

Ed a best.

>show it to normie friend who wants to get into anime
>ask him later how far in he is a couple weeks later
>"Oh, I dropped it and started Naruto!"

Bebop's reputation as the normie anime is skewed.

Indeed

The case with your friend is just pure, unadulterated shit taste, not in anime but in general.

It's shit. Nostalgiafags keep forcing it as a masterpiece and every pleb accepts that because they want to fit in.

Good thing we have teenage contrarians like you who will disagree for the sake of being a special snowflake.

Amen.

What is even the context of that.

It does deserve most of the hype it gets. I would easily say it's one of the top 10 TV anime ever made.

Nah, it is great, but it's not even Watanabe's second best show.

Yes when you compare it to any other garbage out there.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then, because CB is by far his best show. Although I'd like to hear what two you put in front of it.

>linking a YouTuber's video to prove a point
That being said, I do like his videos a lot. Although I prefer the ones on his side channel.
Champloo and Sakapollon. While the action in Champloo isn't as good as the one in CB, I prefer the trio in Champloo. And I also prefer Champloo's soundtrack, but that's just because its Nujabes. And Sakapollon simply blows Bebop's direction out of the water. The soundtracks are equal, though.

And Bebop was one of my first Cantonese cartoons, so yeah.

No.

It is fairly rated but by no means the best anime ever. It is definitely a must-watch however. The main storyline is actually pretty weak and the show is so much better off for not trying to be a neo-noir.

The episodic episodes are pretty strong. There are certainly more good episodes than bad, and more good episodes than Space Dandy or Champloo.

>Sakapollon simply blows Bebop's direction out of the water
Matter of Champloo boils down to a personal preference as you said but this is kind of an exaggeration.

>EoE a fucking 2

>The main storyline is actually pretty weak
But it gave us Jupiter Jazz and that rectifies it all.

>I'm too lazy to type out an argument so I'll post some irrelevant youtuber to do it for me
fuck you

The shot composition is just better.

I'm not saying Sakamichi wouldn't be excellent. I don't feel it's direction is massively stronger though.
To be fair I really would need to rewatch both to fairly judge and compare

2deep4him

bait the list

Yeah, the shit I said was an exaggeration in hindsight. Bebop has its moments too.

Episodic overrated show.

>2. Just the one season + a movie, keeping it contained and not dragging on for 500+ episodes
How common do you think this is for TV?? The only kriginal anime I know that does that is Yu-Gi-Oh!.

>art is overhyped

Yeah go back and look again. I just finished watching it again. The ship interiors, shots of city scapes/warp gates and character motions all look fantastic.

> Champloo
>Intentional style over substance is better than character depth that doesn't sacrifice style

Yes it does, and it has little to do with how West-friendly it is. Every time I rewatch it I get tempted to make a series of threads going through the series shot by shot, scene by scene, to show how brilliant the composition and storytelling is compared to most shows, even at its worst.

Champloo has both style and substance, and its character depth is just more subtle than Bebop's.

>Your typical /m/ shitposter

>watch this scene as a teenager
>feel nothing
>watch it as an adult
>force myself not to cry

It feels immaterial

youtube.com/watch?v=nPbBhvv6GI8

That, and the fact that it is critically acclaimed, is the only reason why anyone would dislike this anime. Contrarian memers are the worst.

Some people dislike it because they don't like episodic shows, which is stupid but still justification, if barely.

Isn't it better to be episodic than try to shoe in come continuity at the cost of the quality of the show?

Yes, but plotfags will never understand that.

Yes. And even most of the best nonepisodic shows are still at least semiepisodic in the sense that each episode has it's own specific story that simply build into the larger narrative.

I suppose some people just can't deal with or aren't into anything that doesn't have a longer-form narrative structure.
Reasons for that I don't know. I can only surmise that they can't find value in something that doesn't "move forward", because there you can expect to see some sort of development, plot or character. (Even though Cowboy Bebop has both of those as well).

>normie
>>>/reddit9k/

The funniest thing is, the "plot episodes" (Spike/Vicious episodes) are some of the worst.

I didn't feel anything while watching it.

that is how i feel exactly, the anime is by far one of my favourites with such great music and characters. The anime was just great but when i finished it i felt nothing however that maybe due to the fact that i watched it in like two sittings on the same day

I wish i could travel with Ed togehter

It should be one of my favorites considering the style and music really appeal to me, but the fact that it didn't make me feel anything is a pretty big con. I would've long forgotten about it if it weren't so popular.

Is he posting on Sup Forums ?

that is exactly how i feel, i don't get how this doesn't have a much bigger impact on me

Maybe shows with cute girls are more your alley.

>this video
>so ADULT
>so VIOLENT
>so TRAGIC

"mmm yeah i only watch mature anime for mature people like myself"

i can't believe someone posted this video, and someone referred to it again, if it wasn't the same person

His favorite anime is literally K-on.
He's just saying that when he first watched it it made a huge impression because it was more mature than what he'd seen before.

>His favorite anime is literally K-on.
damn and i didn't think it could get any worse.

At least it isn't faux-mature.

I dunno, I have mixed feelings about this anime. I admit it is objectively very good: it's well-directed, the characters are engaging, the soundtrack great. I enjoyed it. But at the same time, I've never really been in love with it. I didn't watch it with this insatiable need, just with vague interest. I guess it just didn't strike the right chord with me. It is undeniably a quality anime, though.

K-ON is a top tier anime. Plebs please leave

I agree though

Why, apart from it "healing" you from whatever issues you had when you were watching it?

His point is that the show sticks with you because it's violent, tragic, and adult in a realistic way, in a way that most things fail to accomplish.

Top tier character animation, funny, well timed gags, interesting, well developed characters. It's also joy incarnate, you would have to be extremely jaded to not enjoy enjoy watching it on a basic level.

I did enjoy it. I just wouldn't call it the best anime ever, or even a toptier. It was great though.

Sounds like a personal thing. Is there any reason you feel that way?

because it wasn't that great?

>Sounds like a personal thing

Isn't everyone's opinion personal, unless lead by someone?

Obviously. What I'm saying is that his opinion doesn't seem to be informed by any particular aspect of the show, he just doesn't really like it.

What about it "wasn't that great?"

K-On! isn't Iyashikei. Maybe you should actually watch it.

You convinced me to start filtering images.

BUMP

it's not the best anime of all time, but the quality is good and most importantly consistent with only a few hiccups.

one of very few anime i wish a second season for.