Re: Zero

this anime has just been an anti-NEET message from the start, gj japan

No shit Sherlock.

well is it working?

>people with jobs don't like NEETS
wow you must be some kind of philosopher to figure that out

This line hit hard for me for some reason

>hurr depression, social anxiety and autism is laziness!
>just be yourself!

How can Subaru be so pretentious even in his own self-hatred?

Is it still considered a NEET if you're working as part-time or casual? For both working and studying that is.

The Japs have been following a line of philosophy that promotes eschewing materialism and living a simple, honest life for centuries, only know they've got to be good consumers like everyone else.

NEETs are leeches in society. No better than niggers really. They absolutely deserve to be shit on.

>mfw i got the message

Ok, i'll not my waste my time since now, i will work hard and get some usefull skills, my Rem will come eventually.

I'm been trying to tell you niggas this for forever. The symbolism in this show has been obvious since the 2nd arc.

Betelguese is Sloth, the sin responsible for why Subaru is a NEET and why he waivers between confidence and complete uselessness throughout the story.

Act 1 intentionally made it look as though Subaru was a predictable anime protagonist creating the illusion of a story. He aced through it viewing his situation the same way you would want to view yourself in a similar situation.

Act 2 deconstructs the idea of a NEET acting optimally in a challenging situation. Subaru is criticized for being unambitious by other characters, and his request a change from being employed to being a permanent guest cause he was tired of working. Subaru struggles with whether he wants to live an easy NEET life, or a life where he has friends. He decides that his life would be better with friends, but after working for a couple days, he starts acting deliberately pathetic in front of Rem and Emilia to garner sympathy from them, and Emilia lets him take the day off after he cries in her lap.

Act 3 Subaru habitually uses Emilia and Rem to get out of doing work. His outbursts around Emilia, and continual breaking of promises were him getting Emilia to clean up his mess. Emilia finally gets fed up with it. He feigns insanity because Rem still enables his antics, but Betelguese shows the consequences of his destructive habits. In a last-ditch effort, he tries getting the other candidates to fall for his pathetic charade, but they all see through him, and he faces Emilia alone and begins a conversation that is really him talking to himself. He invokes the curse as a sign that he’s both willing to take the burden, and that there are no easy routes in life.

He can then start to see the Betelguese's invisible hands because he’s finally aware of his own Slothful behavior.

Few to no anime condone being NEET. Anime is filled to the brim with themes of hard work. persistence and self-sacrifice. Even isekai like this is about MC wanting to 'start over' and be something.

Few people actually want to be NEET, at least in a poor/average way.

No, be better than yourself. To become an anime-tier fantasy hero you have to be better than everyone. Neither a NEET nor a hard working, successful normie is going to have what it takes.

The theme of Re:Zero is that no matter how many times you try, you always lose almost everything. But if you don't have the will and power to sacrifice everything for one goal, you won't even get that.

No, it's that you can get past it as long as you have someone to support you.

>please stop being a neet and get a life!

>don't stop buying our products that pander to your neet tastes tho!

Virtually every anime has an anti-NEET message

>jobless, depressed, loner MC
>suddenly finds a sense of purpose after meeting their waifu in the first episode

If you think anime will solve Japan's NEET problem then you are extremely naive. The sole reason why NEETs exist is because post WW2 generation parents have accumulated enough savings for their next generation offsprings to leech on via inheritance. In any case, the NEET problem is a small minority, not enough to destabilise the Japanese economy, because Japan is already at near full employment with their "job for life" policies. But the media as always makes it a big issue because, hey, why not scapegoat and hate a bunch of harmless losers?

Re:Zero doesn't pander to NEETs though. It's been taking digs at Isekai.

>I can't into comprehension

what the fuck has that to do with anything I said! Of course anime isn't going to change anything.

>NEETs
>Not a huge problem

Not yet, but it's a dangerously increasing trend throughout all Western countries.

Apologies, user. I quoted the wrong person.

It is literally no different than a normal isekai series. This kind of half-assed "look at me being different while not really being different" thing has been around forever.

>It is literally no different than a normal isekai series.
thats what I keep thinking, but im seeing threads everyone im tempted to watch it.

if everyone has so much trouble finding jobs how come there's a huge push to getting people to learn how to do jobs

True, youth employment in many European countries is at double digits. But due to the fact they can still live with their parents or atleast be supported by then, is the reason why you haven't seen full scale rioting yet.

But I'm pretty sure all thats going to change when the reactionary older generation votes in a government which enacts policies that further marginalize the the younger generation.

Sup Forums is full of children who fall for this kind of "look at me, I'm being contrarian" shit because they are too new to have seen anything else like it.

Frankly I can't see how the Neets have to do something with all of this. This story is about an average teenager, not particularly skilled, not particularly sharp, threw in something bigger than him.

I'm pretty sure that even people fully occupied would have some problems to handle a situation where you are thrown into a different world, with no money, no knowledge, no guides. Subaru is not even lazy since then, in his own way, is committed and acts a lot. The problem is that he choose to do the wrong things, but he is not lazy.

So, again, what have the neet to do with all this?

This is a good point. Subaru tries to jump from NEET to hero. Even a normalfag would have trouble with that, if they would be in this predicament, that is.
Most consumers have jobs so it doesn't hurt to take digs on NEET, just like a romance series can take digs at virgins even if they make up some of the audience.

Also I think otaku/NEET in Japan are more self-aware of how society views them and accept it, even take a sort of pride in it. I'm basing that mostly on 2d though.

More like
>jobless, depressed, loner MC
>everything suddenly goes his way, girls like him for no reason whatsoever, throw in some lines about "hard work" while we never actually witness any of that

>NEET to hero
Zero to hero would be better, damn.

is there an isekai where they guy does get his way but had to actually earn it.

yeah fuck it I guess I'll stop being a neet

No it's not you fuck. This entire episode is literally about how Subaru isn't naturally special in any fucking way, and that you have to work hard to be special.

Can't really think of anything from the top of my head.
Typically you just get bullshit powers and magic, and the author brands that as "working hard" and "earning it"

Literally that's what re:zero is. That other guy is memeing you.

>quads
Fuck now I'll actually have to do it.

Pretentious fans who think anime is specifically criticizing something. Probably think Eva is anti-otaku too.

So being able to fix your mistakes and redo your life doesn't make you special?

>they can still live with their parents
More like there is no other choice even when you're employed, shit I've been on a wait list for housing for 7 years and it's only going to take longer with all this refugee shit.

It's been a anti-NEET message this whole time, you've just been too retarded to see it.

I remember having a similar conversation with overlordfags
fool me once, shame on you,
fool me twice shame on me

>anti-NEET message
No more than One Punch Man has one. Sorry you're so underage, you think this is special.

Satella specifically chose somebody unspectacular like Subaru to curse to BECAUSE of how incompetent and self-absorbed he is. She could have picked any number of NEETs with those same flaws, it was a random decision. He's not special, the person pulling his strings is.

>you have to work hard to be special
And he will get an opportunity no one else will, thanks to being taken to a fantasy land and being able to redo life. Same old isekai.

I predicted this would have an anti-NEET message since the 2nd arc. The symbolism throughout the show hasn't even been all that subtle. You're just stupid user.

>One Punch Man
The fucking main character is a NEET

What, it suddenly has an anti-NEET message because some cunt had it on his shirt? Fuck off

would you rather have a story about him eating dry ramen in the conbini and jerking it to lolis?

Did you even watch the last episode? It specifically makes a point of how fantasy land or no fantasy land, nothing is gonna you off your ass except yourself.

Go start a company user. Nothing is stopping you from re-starting your life in the real world.

is it an actual legitimate struggle?

The fact you needed to 'predict' shows how stupid you are. It's obvious from the beginning it won't be some praise fest of NEETdom.

Don't worry, it's not that we're fast. You're just slow.

So what? OPM criticizes typical NEET attitudes. In fact, it criticizes half-assing and making excuses in general.

That makes it more mature than your interp of Re:Zero, tbqh

Unless you completely hate isekai as a setting/genre, then you have no reason to avoid it.

>Unless you completely hate isekai as a setting/genre
I have yet to find one I like

I don't like to use the word "pretentious" because it has been overused to the point of being a buzzword but this anime deserves it.
Subaru spent the first two arcs being the exact opposite of what he is now and there was no narrative transition to his current character.
It's like the writer suddenly decided that he was portraying his NEET protag too positively and switched gears without devoting any effort to get that switch to make sense.

>OPM criticizes typical NEET attitudes.
Where?
If anything, it's glorifying it

>mature
What are you, 12?

More like Japanese conformist message to stop acting out when you're trash.

Leftists are worse.

>Would you rather it not be isekai?
Thanks for proving my point.
>nothing is gonna you off your ass except yourself
There is nothing special about this message. Most anime has this, including other isekai.
>Nothing is stopping you from re-starting your life in the real world.
There is no such thing as "restarting" your life. You're already living it and you don't get resets like Subaru.

Yes, and he doesn't just immediately change after a few episodes. The show taunts you with his development throughout the show only to rub in the message that changing yourself isn't an easy fucking task. it wasn't till 18 when he could completely break himself down that he makes a step in the positive direction.

And even then, he's not fixed yet, he still has some other flaws to deal with.

Is that a bad thing?

on a scale to 1 to 10 how hard is his struggle?
1 is kirito from SAO
10 is Guts from berserk.

Fuck off dipshit read this: The point of arc 1 and parts of 2 are to trick NEETs in to thinking it was gonna be a wish-fulfillment show

literally what would please you?

>If anything, it's glorifying it
How does it glorify it? Hammerhead wanted to be a lazy NEET and reformed. That NEET in the crowd was obviously to be hated.

How does it glorify it? Saitama? Saitama worked hard for what he wanted in life and being a hero IS an occupation in OPM. The fact you just want to focus on technical NEET status shows your immaturity. The kind of person who thinks Eva is anti-otaku.
>What are you, 12?
That's clearly your mental age. Grow up.

8, don't be tricked by the first arc, the real suffering comes later

>there was no narrative transition
What, no transition? An entire fucking episode, a longer than average one at that, focussing entirely on just that, isn't enough in your book?
All the obvious signs to this shit in previous episodes don't count?

Fuck off

Why do most people here act like everyone that comes to Sup Forums, or watches anime, is a shut-in with no life experience?

That's pseudo-intellectual bullshit that's not even accurate to what happens in the story.
You're making up rationalizations based on perceived intention of the plot instead of what the plot actually was.

How is this about wanting to be pleased? Can't stand being wrong about Re:Zero? Wanting to be pleased is your issue.

so its like the first part of muv luv?

>cancerous crossboarders who never watch anime but mainstream shit because their normalfags friends recommended it to them
>they think there is a secret message to RE: Zero

Cancer.

>That's clearly your mental age
Hey, I'm not the one using "mature" as a descriptive term, nor do I tell others to "grow up"

You truly do remind me of teenagers who talk about the "mature" themes in their videogames

>An entire fucking episode
is not nearly enough to discard 2 story arcs worth of character development at the drop of a hat.
If that what they wanted to do with his character then fine but it needed an entire story arc of it's own just for the buildup to that, not a single fucking episode.

>secret message
Hard to call it secret when your getting bashed on the head with it for the entirety of the anime

And no rebuttal. You're going antsy because I perfectly described you and now that's all you focus on in the end. You are a child and your petulance shows it.

If your anime was so informative, you'd think you would learn from it.

>discard 2 story arcs worth of character development
That whole character development was going to this exact fucking point you drooling retard

What, did you miss the point where he looked absolutely fucking pathetic to anyone watching this show throughout all of the arcs?

How would anyone think this would be a wish fulfillment show from the start, did we watch the same show?

I haven't even said anything about isekai. But let me ask more specifically: What is your idea of a good isekai story?

I blame capitalism.

Go rewatch the show dumbfuck. That interpretation isn't 100% accurate, but it's generally right about several things.

>Subaru gets called unambitious several times by multiple characters

I bet you thought that was an empty statement, and not obvious foreshadowing.

That's irrelevant because I never said Re:Zero was bad isekai.

>perfectly described you
You pretty much just said "you're a kid lol"

Funny you say all that, though, considering you're still in denial about how the shit you're saying is the pinnacle of pathetic.

>your anime
>your
Jesus fucking Christ

STOP JUDGDING ME JUDGE CAT!!

You're dumb as shit

This was pretty concise and insightful actually.

>pseudo-intellectual bullshit

Nigger it's a cursory summery of the shit that happened. There's nothing "psuedo-intellectual" about it. It's not even in-depth.
A fucking monkey could figure that shit out

Why dosnt subaru tell reinhard his power
Didn't the author say reinhard as strong as satella

Suddenly our shortcomings
Don't seem to matter that much
I commend your stubborness
Without it we'd never got this far
I am done with perfection
Chasing her leaves me with nothing but pain

Sad to say
I pushed you away
Waiting for Mrs Right
Unlike you
She isn't true
She's got her own concerns

You never gave up devotion
Waiting for me
You'll always be my girlfriend
I too
Waiting for you
I'll always be your friend

>That whole character development was going to this exact fucking point you drooling retard
It literally fucking wasn't. The first two arcs were nothing but him overcoming obstacle after obstacle. Pushing through fear and angst to achieve the goal of protecting the people he cared about.
As soon as the third arc started he became a jealous sperg who seeks nothing but acknowledgement out of fucking nowhere.

Welcome to the NHK did it better.

>you're a kid lol
That's your interpretation, most likely because it's true. And now you try desperately to save face, but can't hide how sorry you are.

>I bet you thought that was an empty statement, and not obvious foreshadowing.
No, it was an entirely reasonable statement for a character to make because, unlike the audience, they do not hear the protags internal monologues and have not seen what he did in previous timelines.
As foreshadowing it does not work for that same reason.

You don't have to be a cross-boarder or even a casual to draw connections between things. Do you even basic psychology?

Working for me. I becoming a good boy and getting my life together since episode 13.

Kill yourself.

>rem
>deleted

>A fucking monkey could figure that shit out
No, a fucking monkey would eat that shit up because that's where the plot is pushing towards now.
A fucking monkey would forget that the initial story was not what it turned into at all.

>your interpretation

Let's go over it all:
>actually using the term "mature" to describe something
>"your mental age"
>"you are a child"

Not much room left for interpretation.