Sup Forums makes a chart

Sorry it's been a few days but I'm back with an overhaul which I'm hoping will make a lot more sense than the previous version.

TL;DR: Updating a chart from 3 years ago and first started 6 years ago in the efforts of showcasing particular shows which have excelled in certain (niche) aspects.

How this works:
>think up a good example for a category
>you must provide visual evidence and put forward an argument for your example
>other anons can chime in on a person's choice to debate or support it
>if we reach 5 examples, don't despair - with a good enough argument you may be able to override a previous choice

I'll post the last review version done in 2013. We're trying to find things which aren't on that chart to fill the categories (a few have slipped through but only into other, unrelated categories). A new category this time is horror visuals since we haven't covered that previously and may be interesting to see what we can come up with.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZeuHW9vB_C0?t=48s
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22937/animated-background_animation-birth-character_acti
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8204/animated-background_animation-birth-debris-effects
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16449/animated-artist_unknown-kaleido_star-sports
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16013/animated-artist_unknown-kaleido_star
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2013 Version

How many times do people have to call your chart shit for you to fuck off?

There's been far more people participating. It's only when people don't get their way or their opinion is called shit by other anons when they start throwing a tantrum.

Was worried you had ragequit Chart-kun

Good to see you didn't

I was sick. No worries though, make your suggestions.

You need to put something on the chart explicitly stating that it's only for visuals.

I thought it was pretty obvious myself... Seems like most people get the general idea of it.

Apocalypse Zero for horror?

Who are you making the chart for? If it's for newfags, they won't pick up on it. If it's oldfags, they'll just take one look at your chart and say "but all these shows are shit."

You mean horrible, right?

I'll put it on there, but I'm sure someone will claim it's spoonfeeding too much.

True... Its not very aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps something like Another then?

It did have some interesting horror imagery, so sure. If it gets bumped out though don't be surprised.

Good idea to take off the overlap from the previous chart. I'll look forward to the next ones until you die user and then show them to the young whippersnappers in 40 years

Thanks user. Maybe I'll do a manga one in another 3 years, I dunno. Not like I'm going anywhere. So far as I know, I'm here for for life.

>CGI
>Fafner

I think it would be better to specify it as Exodus instead of the overall series.

>based chartmaker is at it again
Please let this thread up til I make it home.

Thanks. I was waiting for someone to correct me. The Fafner series is a little hard to navigate.

>one piece movie 6
is this bait

I honestly think that movies shouldn't count, it's like cheating, they obviously will always look better than normal series, same goes for shorts/OVAs.

It's a rather underrated film and it's by Hosoda. If you can come up with anything better though, go for it.

Getting a mix is a good idea. The experimental category is purely for shorts though.

since there's still a gap: red data girl for nature scenery.

I don't think "2016 review" is a good title. It doesn't convey that it is supplementary to the previous version.

Maybe "2016 amendments"?

I don't see how. It has Hosoda's best framing, I'd say.

For what reason did you remove Sword of The Stranger and Garden of Words?
Also add atmospheric category.

Aha, thanks. I was trying to remember what the name of that the other day.

Review seems okay. Anything more and the title would go off the screen.

Check second chart below OP chart.

Nominating stuff

>Horror visuals
Wicked City or Shinsekai Yori

>Bizarre visuals
ME!ME!ME!
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

>Choregraphy
Seirei no Moribito
Also there was a martial artsfag who said Phantom World has accurate martial arts choreography, if there's anyone else to confirm then that could be nominated.
youtu.be/ZeuHW9vB_C0?t=48s

well, add some fineprint that tells readers that the previous version is still relevant. someone who only sees the new one needs to know that.

"review" does not make that clear.

>ME!ME!ME!

I was waiting for this. Wonder if we could combine it with Girl since that was a part 2?

I'm no expert, but it looks like Phantom World has some of the basic forms of martial arts like the stances. But it's kinda hard to tell how accurate it is when the characters themselves are jumping like 20 feet to perform their moves.

Still feel Doraemon shouldn't count.

Both CG lists seem to be have a lot of semi-realistic shading. Do we have no good examples of more cartoony CG?

Think I'll leave MeMeMe out since it's a short.

Picked Wicked City since some of the older stuff really did excel when it came to horror.

Seirei no Moribito was in the previous so no go there. Still not sure about Phantom World though.

Got any ideas? Just bear in mind sometimes that sort of simplistic style tends to come off as rather plastic-y and doesn't age well.

Why did you get rid of mecha design? I liked that one.

probably because it's just mecha, mecha, mecha with a dash of mecha by another name.

Would a 3rd column for other kinds of static backgrounds make sense? not all wallpapers are nature or city scenes.

Although i guess that something that does backgrounds well in general will also do them well outside.

Because it might be better if I do a full one of these for /m/. Well, if I ever get around to it.

Time of Eve for CG.

Given its budget and age it was pretty excellent use of CG.

Mardock Scramble for choreography/animated motion/urban scenery.

The choreograph i can see. but the scenery is occluded by heavy grainfall.

Isn't that mostly just cgi backgrounds?

yeah. only cg characters allowed?

I'd say it's preferred since that's where the difficulty most lies.

>only when people don't get their way or their
opinion is called shit by other anons when they
start throwing a tantrum.

You're a faggot for trying to have a "sense of community" and making what essentially is a rec chart as well as a reference for arguments and "consensus".

Sad that some people are so fucking weak willed about what they like and don't like that they have to have everyone else validate them.

best chart coming through

It being a reference for arguments never even crossed my mind. When would Sup Forums ever argue about something like background scenery anyway?

The chart is more a point of interest if anything. It's not necessarily a recommendation chart because not everything on there is good either. It just looks pretty.

Coincidentally I did the updated version of that as well.

Then I am afraid that outside of a few shorts or cherrypicked scenes, we're are still waiting for the day with whole shows to fill that column.

Just leave two boxes empty except for the text "reserved for future use".

This is for baiting newfags right?

The cgi category is full...

I don't like the examples.

So how does this work? are we looking for the best anime that fits into a certain category or are we looking for something that exemplifies the defining characteristic of that category?
Appleseed doesn't have much of a story, but the CG is pretty. Screenies of the latest movie attached.

I'd remove Berserk for horror and add Boogiepop Phantom. I'd also add Shin Sekai Yori for nature scenery or possibly even bizzare visuals.
And finally isn't Kagewani also classified as horror?

what do you use to make the charts?

Shouldn't mononoke be moved from unique style to colour palette?

You're still alive? Nice.

Anyway, I recommend puttting pic related in the framing category instead of the OP flick.

Likewise, you should consider putting GitS: Innocence in Animated Motion.

>modcat

>Sup Forums makes a chart
>A recommendation

Fuck that.

>not reusing things just because
This is how you make a misleading chart. I won't be participating in a thread meant to mislead people.

>I won't be participating
You already are

Boku no pico is a great show though.

I keep forgetting Alpha exists. Probably a better candidate than Doraemon.

It has been so long since I've seen Boogiepop. It did do atmosphere very well with its shots. I wonder if it'd be better to replace Wicked City with it?

Kagewani is also horror, but the art style is pretty good.

Sakamichi no Apollon? I don't think the framing in that stood out nearly as much as the OP movie did. Know that sounds strange, but it does.

Just photoshop, user.

>Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
isnt that more unique style?
>but the scenery is occluded by heavy grainfall
It is beautiful nonetheless.

Can't say I'm a fan of the visuals myself. The rainbow filter is way too jarring and takes away from the details.

Like I said, choreography or animation are also good fits.

I don't remember the shot composition being particularly outstanding in the OP movie, but still. Maybe I'll have to rewatch them.

Tex and Rakugo were great picks, though.

I haven't seen it myself, so I might need another person to chime in there I'm afraid.

Maybe it stood out more because it was such an unusual entry in the franchise, but it still has Hosoda's touch all over it.

I'm watching through Rakugo at the moment because of that pick. I never got around to watching it properly.

>desktop captures of mediaplayers
this is terrible. alt+i, put two screenshots together in paint/gimp/ps. please.

why was Nichijou taken out of animated motion?

What exactly is wrong with this version? It's significantly better than the current one (no offence OP)

the old version is not obsolete. the new chart is just a delta.

Aren't there already a billion charts like this?

read the thread

there are different charts.

For what it is, I recall TGWLTT and Wolf Children being more interesting shot-wise than OP6, but I haven't watched them in years.

Then again, I've never sucked Hosoda's dick too much since I'm more of a Shinkaifag.

>ctrl+f
>Nichijou
>1 of 1
>my post

Requesting for Kikoushi Emma for Horror.

ctrl+f does not constitute reading.

It's getting late for me so I'm off for the night. Keep making your suggestions though - I'll check the archive later.

Choreography = Naruto
Argument = It's good

nigga I'm not going to read a near 80+ thread to find the answer buried underneath requests and circlejerking. This is how threads like this die

>Another
Seriously? Even Jigoku Shojo had better horror ambience and imagery than Another.

>want pet show on the chart
>READING!? too much effort
looks like you don't really care about it then.

nah not really desu, just thought I'd make a suggestion but clearly I need to study the archive for several days in order to fully comprehend why one of the best animated shows in recent years isn't in the motion section

Oh yeah, how's Le Portrait de Petit Cossette for horror imagery?

You know, after so many derailment of those visual direction threads and the same argument popping up every time in this chart making threads, OP is probably better off making a chart purely for KyoAni animu.

What happened with kotoba no niwa, red line, utena and nichijou?

that's overkill just to answer your question, but of course i will not stop you from your noble quest to self-enlightenment.

reading helps

Gatchaman Crowds should be there somewhere. Vibrant colors and designs.

>swimming coach
Every time.

Tamako Market has a delightful color palette.

OP is okay with replacing stuff so long as you make a good case for it.

It's right there in the first two posts ya bloody ding-dong.

Some of the movies are alright. Boruto one was pretty surprising. Well coordinated fight scenes using a variety of techniques and a dynamic camera that actually followed the action as it went rather than stay static.

Sugestions:
Bakemonogatari for framing insted of show genroku.
Panty & Stoking for unique visuals. Remove Katanagatari.
Idolmaster and Kataganatari or cowboy bebop movie for choreography.
Birth, blood the last vampire or vampire hunter D (2000) for animated motion
Examples of birth
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/22937/animated-background_animation-birth-character_acti
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/8204/animated-background_animation-birth-debris-effects
blood-c last dark, shinsekai yori, gyo, komonozume, shiki or alien 9 for horror instead of another.
Kyousougiga or maybe soultaker and Cossette no Shouzou for bizarre visuals.

>alien 9
Huh, I forgot about that one. I 2nd it. Also seconding SSY for horro visual, and Bake for framing(but only Bake, the rest of the series doesn't deliver on the front).

What about Kaleido Star for choreography? Better than most dance ones which rely mostly on static images

dis

I haven't watched that show and i don't seem to find good examples of it's choreography.
I've found this so far:
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16449/animated-artist_unknown-kaleido_star-sports
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16013/animated-artist_unknown-kaleido_star
Not bad but isn't kinda lacking?

It's a shame Yuri on Ice hasn't aired yet, it's going to be all hand drawn and the trailer looks good as fuck.