Shitty chart for shitty tastes

This time: Action/fantasy shows in CONTEMPORARY settings

EXCLUDED: Magical School battle harems
Futuristic settings & high fantasy

If you have any suggestion leave it on the thread, and will update later

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/forum/?board=16
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd say Birdy the Mighty but it doesn't deserve to be put into this garbage pile. Feel free to ignore my post.

Kara no Kyokai
Kyokai no Kanata
also Soul Eater, if you allowing non-harem magical school.

>I have no idea what a contemporary setting is

I forgot to write down Darker Than Black in that post.

Are those not set in modern times? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought contemporary also meant modern time.

Zombie Loan?

Contemporary setting is our time with same laws, social norms and the society at large works in the same way as ours. Soul Eater is happening in some weird fantasy world.

>EXCLUCED: Futuristic settings
>Railgun is in

I see recommendation threads have evolved. Just pretend your making a chart and you bypass mods and aggressive anons. I'm impressed OP.

How many years into the future is Index, 10 years? It started in 2004 now its 2016, I guess is fine as long as is not Totall Recall or Mad max kind of futuristic

If "contemporary" meant actual contemporary none of the series would qualify because all are set in the past.

Looks contemporary to me. I will conceed that the world of Soul Eater isn't exactly flushed out enough to know if it has same laws, social norms and the society at large works in the same way as ours.

No shit, whenever I want a new anime I just say I am doing a chart. I've been doing it for about a year now.

He even made it pretty obvious with the no battle harems rule. Honestly making a chart like this was more work than was required. Just make a thread like "is [example show] the worst/greatest [desired genre] of all time?" or something similar and it never fails.

Was the devil survivor anime as terrible as it looked? it fits the memo but if Persona 4 is on there and it isnt it must suck pretty badly

I commend you on your ingenuity. But you're making a fatal mistake, getting recommendations from Sup Forums.

Huh, I guess it is. I just remember the medieval town form ep1 and how everything looked magical.

Ga-Rei Zero
Kara no Kyoukai
Zetsuen no Tempest
Mirai Nikki
Darker Than Black

>urban fantasy
That's a term I hadn't heard but thank you for addressing it because I finally realized that it is the absolute worst sub-genre there is, everything about it is always cliche, always pandering and for otaku.

Meh, you guys have better taste than leddit or MAL. I don't know where else to look.

You find individuals with good taste that have been into anime for decades and you ask them. Or you get a few good recommendation charts from Sup Forums.

>He even made it pretty obvious with the no battle harems rule

Because we already have one of those

What the hell is it with the increase of spoonfeeding charts? Those days are over, there are easier ways to find anime these days than it was 10 years ago.

Even so, the first two fit. Also Monogatari.

Problem with MAL or anidb or animeplanet is that usually both recommendations and tags trend to fail if you look something particular.

For example, if you search "fantasy" you are gonna get all sort of things really different between them. If you want a Lodoss War anime with medieval sword and magic and search for the tag "fantasy" or "magic" or "sword fights" you have to go through 1000 anime that are nowhere close to Lodoss War, like future detectives or samurai stories.

Same for recommendations, if you pick Fate Zero, for example and you want something similar with fantasy action set in nowdays youll check the recommendations and get things like Suzumiya or XXXHolic.

These charts are someway in between, you don't have to browse a shit ton of things that are really far from what you are looking for, just a (relatively) few ones.

Searching for something similar to a particular show is a very plebeian thing to do. Once you refine your taste you realise the only thing worth searching for is quality. Superficial things such as premise, setting or a gimmick genre are very secondary to a well written story and characters.

If you only accept well written story and characters searching them on anime media is pointless to begin with.

Updated

Glad to help in any way form or shape

>>>myanimelist.net/forum/?board=16

More shit shows for this shit chart

>Thinks it's good
>Says it's shit sarcastically

>It's actually shit

Noragami

Add Kamisama Dolls, Star Driver, Hataraku Maou-sama and Yuushibu.

Wait does Strike the Blood just get a pass on being a magical school battle harem or what? Actually there are a bunch of things on there that are just the same shit without even having the pretense of being based around schools.

>index is shit
fuck this gay board I hope it burns into the ground

But user, Index is in fact shit. Biribiri is best.

> Actually there are a bunch of things on there that are just the same shit without even having the pretense of being based around schools.
I'm not actually sure what you're trying to say.

Strike the blood wasn't set in a magical battle school.

>Yuushibu
Wasn't that one set in a fantasy world? I even remember chocobo carriages and fantasy countries. They even had the standard demon continent.

>Star Driver
That thing was fantasy? Always thought it was a mecha or giant robot thing.

Something like Campione is the exact same shit as a magical school battle harem, but without the school (unless it did end up having a school, I dropped it after the first episode). The school is often completely unimportant in these shows though, rarely providing anything more than reasons why the MC meets grills and has to fight people. Strike the Blood includes characters that go to school and I think one or two of the battles happened at the school.

So where are all of these charts going to be stored?

They work in an appliance store.

You should specify that it's Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta, not the other version.

Taboo Tattoo is any good? It's been on my backlog for a month now, I guess now is best time to catch up.

Also, hate to say it, but what about Mob Psycho 100, it's Urban Fantasy all right

From the little i can remember about it, i think should fit in chart quit nicely, along with all those other forgettable animes.

At least a third of those shows are good though.

there are no good girls in index universe
only mugino is great because she has the bod

Yumekui Merry
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka
Persona Trinity Soul, the actually terrible Persona anime.
Gate: Thus the JSDF

Soul Eater is full of anachronisms and nonsense (even more so in the manga) but the setting is more or less contemporary, yeah.

Chaika

Can't disagree with that, but right now there are so much specific magical school battle harem that they are basically an entire subgenere.

Another example is Traditional fantasy and isekai fantasy are basically the same thing, but right now there is so much isekai works that you could fill one of those just specifically with that.

Thats on the first line

>Taboo Tattoo is any good?
Its...irregular, it has some nice battles but the rest of the time animation is nonexistent

Has there been even a single one that has used the school setting as part of a thematic commentary rather than just as a mechanism of the setting? I've seen a gaggle of these shows and I don't think I've encountered one that had the school aspect as something that couldn't be written out entirely. The most amusing part of Rakudai in my opinion is that there is a teacher and homeroom introduction and then never a single class. The only mention of such a thing is the statement that non-combat classes exist. It's not a school, it's fucking fight club.

I feel like I've seen a lot of magical high schools, but I've not seen many magical high school classes. Then again, I do end up dropping the absolute trash like Mahouka and Mahou Sensou. I remember Onii-sama coming up with his bullshit in his own batcave rather than in class though, so fuck it.

Isekai at least fundamentally changes the context of fantasy stories, magical high school is always a card board cutout for the same wish fulfillment adventure pulp.

>Has there been even a single one that has used the school setting as part of a thematic commentary rather than just as a mechanism of the setting?

Most of them act at most like military organizations rather than schools but there are some for example Maken-ki is a "battle specialized school" but all the classes and activities are normal classes, its just all their students have the power and can fight.

This is a really horse shit chart, is it purposefully bad?

Small nit-picks: It's "Bungou Stray Dogs" and "Hataraku no Maou-sama". Also the image for Ga-Rei Zero looks like it was squished too far to fit properly. If we're going by English capitalization then you should fix Kyoukai no Kanata, Nurarihyon no Mago, Kore ga Zombie?, Sousei no Onmyouji, Dakara H ga Dekinai, and Dark Rabbit Seven Lives.

I'm assuming this is not a chart for series of good quality, just anything "urban fantasy" so newfags can find out what sucks on their own.

SAO

Frenda, Kuroko and Mitsuari Ayu are cute as fuck.