Evangelion

What the fuck did I just see

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0KusK9OXDLU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

one of the greatest pieces of art mankind has to offer

This. EoE is actually underrated by film critics.

I went into this shit trying to understand as much as possible, I even read the fucking Genesis and paused on basically every one of the rapid slideshow parts, I'm still kinda lost.

Where did everyone else go? I thought mum said that they would return back.
What are Rei and Gay Jesus Man?

The biggest question is why did he try to choke her? My guess is that he's trying to undermine what Rei was trying to do, which is make them the new Adam and Eve, or something

he choked to see if she was real and because he hates her

Everyone turned to goo and is now in a dream like sequence where they are happy living in their fake dream life.

Everyone can return but it is only a matter of determination and time.

He choked her to see if he was still in the lcl and not dreaming. Her reaction was confirming to him that she is indeed alive and that even though they both hate each they depend on one another.

alright the last scene might not have been too important but still nothing leading up to it makes sense

Literally nothing.
Evafags just try to make it look "deep"

Obligatory hourly "What the fuck did I just watch" thread

TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN

Look, it's good, it's fantastic with a deep, intricate, relatable themes of love, depression and friendship throughout. However it's just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it all depended on whether Shinji actually approved of the final impact idea, which he did and didn't, allowing for the INCREDIBLY open-ended finale.

That's all. Glad you enjoyed it

>where they are happy living in their fake dream life.

It's not really a "fake" life. The third impact turned everyone into Tang and then they become one in a giant, swirling, organic mass of consciousness. That's what SEELE refers to as "Instrumentality". It's very real, and it's pure bliss and paradise at the expense of your mortality and body autonomy.

I kind of like how there's a daily thread of this

So the people are going to come back? huh

In the end what are Rei and Kaworu? Are they Lilith or Adam or God or something? What's the Spear and why is the Eva 01 just spinning off into space with it

Thanks, I did enjoy it and the ending was all I wanted and more. I just wish it was a bit more clear

>So the people are going to come back? huh

Probably not. Why would you give up eternal life in endless bliss? Only Shinji and Asuka came back because they're little contrarian shitters. Everyone's wildest dreams came true when converted to tang, why would they come back?

Rei was just a clone. Or series of clones. She's not even a real person, just a meat puppet. Who cares what happens to her? She's literally garbage. Kaworu is off in the tang ocean fucking Shinji or something. He was an angel I guess, so maybe he doesn't get included in the tang life. I'm not sure.

Eva 01 was an angel so it's probably chilling with Kaworu too. The spear was a plot device. It ceases to exist when not needed anymore.

Humanity can if they want. The whole point of Shinji's mom speech was that yes you are living in a very blissful state of consiousness but deep in your unconsciousness you know this isn't real. Yes the real world is scary but it is better to tackle it then being blinded by fake shit.

Rei died once Shinji rejected the completion of mankind.

Kaworu died when Shinji crushed him.

Spear of longitude.

Eva 01 completed instrumentality and was set free into space. It completed it's task.

Not sure if summerfags or autistic roleplaying or just OP samefagging.

Rei and Kaworu's fate make sense, I think I can kinda grasp it but damn what a fucking ending

The goal of the Angels was to reset life. This is to start things over again, because everything was shit.

Rei and that gay boy were Angels, and gave Shinji the opportunity to define true happiness.

He defined it by surviving alone with Asuka.

Because Shinji is so self-absorbed, he thought he caused the whole end of everything. Asuka being there is proof that he destroyed everything, and he's in denial of it, so he strangles Asuka because she's living proof that he's a selfish asshole who'd sacrifice everything to get what he wants, regardless of the hero facade he displayed throughout the show. She condemns him for being so disgusting and selfish. Cut to black.

People need to stop parroting this "He was checking to see if he was still in LCL" shit. It doesn't make any sense.

Explain your shit theory or fuck off.

My theory is that he just hates her because she represents everything about life that frustrated him so he tries to kill her.

My theory doesn't really matter though, because the "he was just checking" theory makes no sense at all.

That has to be dumbest theory I ever read on here. Jesus christ.

he obviously wasn't just checking, it was one reason among many

Neither. Some people actually like this show. Isn't it weird that people have different tastes than you?

What's stupid about it?

Why would checking be necessary? Why would it be unclear whether he's in the real world or not? Why would strangling her help in figuring out this problem?

The "he was just checking" theory isn't about him methodically deciding to check if she was real by chocking her, it's more like that his first reaction to seeing her there, rather than some stranger, would be to assume that he was still in the illusions of instrumentality and so choke her due to frustration, assuming that it was an illusion.

I literally just finished it so I'm still confused, but from what I saw was that after the intense tripping he was basically doing he wanted to see if the reality he was in was actually real. He still doesn't know if he's tripping balls, and the amount of time that passed is unknown. He knows that if they were still tripping she wouldn't care if she strangled him, but she showed that she did care by caressing his cheek.

Why would he assume that it's an illusion? Him leaving Instrumentality wasn't exactly a subtle, ambiguous thing. He bursts through Rei's eye and fucking kills her. He climbs onto shore on his own power. There's no reason for him to think this is still Instrumentality.

>He knows that if they were still tripping she wouldn't care if she strangled him
Why would this be the case?

Is EoE stand-alone or does it require viewing NGE

Must watch NGE.

>Why would this be the case?
Because in the LCL you don't need your windpipe to breathe, and even if you did you are basically immortal so it wouldn't matter anyways. How else can he test if he's not tripping anymore. He can do anything in instrumentality as you saw in 26, why can't it be bursting out of an eye

He's also just out of the most horrific thing he has ever witnessed, and is currently witnessing something even more horrific. His actions can't really have an explanation, he just does what he thinks he should do

youtube.com/watch?v=0KusK9OXDLU

man i haven't seen one of these threads in a long time

But he knows he's not in LCL anymore, he can look behind him and see a pool of LCL. Moreover, if he can do anything surely he would be able to imagine Asuka responding to him choking her. I still fail to see how choking her solves the problem of not knowing if he's in Instrumentality anymore, assuming that's a problem at all.

Holy crap one thing I hate most is when people analyze every character's actions as if they're doing the most logical thing, like the characters have time to sit down and assess their surroundings before doing anything.

Shinji literally just got out of a fucking soul contraption acid orange juice thing. Holy shit give this guy a break for wanting to see if what is reality is actually real. Sure it's not the most "logical" thing but what else is the guy supposed to do. Your theory can also be correct, that he's angry and is directing his emotions at her. But this can also be correct.

Trying to put your logic on a guy who is still reeling from what happened in like expecting an Alzheimer's patient to suddenly start remembering things again or something I dunno I'm bad at euphemisms but you get my point

>What the fuck did I just see

I feel the same and I know it may seem weird to those who didn't fully understand the show. But when you do fully understand what it's talking about it's even worse and it presses some real harsh disturbing questions that shouldn't be asked let alone answered.

wasn't there a piece of lore / fancanon that said that all the stuff in eva was basically the works of ancient aliens

Who here Tulpa?

Who am I , what is reality oh god someone help me. Also seriously WTF DID SHINJI DO at the start of EoE like really after everything that's happened did this shit really happen.

I mean come on are you fucking kidding me I was not expecting that.

>2 minutes later rapes her corpse

No, I don't get your point. I understand that the kid would be disturbed but the idea that he was checking to see if he was in the real world or not just doesn't have any backing in the film.
When I say it "makes no sense" I'm not questioning Shinji's actions as a character, I'm questioning why anyone would think that theory is correct.

I've seen NGE and EoE is it worth watching Rebuild ?

It's pretty great, but I wouldn't go that far, especially when I consider how many great paintings and sculptures and operas and symphonies and poems and novels exist. I mean, fuck, the Western Canon is huge, user.

It's based on a card from a set that contained additional canon information.

It's poorly translated, but it suggests that he couldn't tell if it was really her or not, and that's why he did it, to see if she was real, because the real Asuka would reject him. A caress was the last thing he was expecting.

Personally, I think they were both so messed up by the whole ordeal, that neither one of them was entirely in their right mind at the moment. The last memory Shinji had of her, he was strangling her (or "the Asuka in Shinji's mind", although I suspect it was really her) in Instrumentality.

They were both basically raised deliberately to stand against the angels and then fall apart when they were no longer needed, in order to keep them from getting in the way of each side's scenarios. It worked perfectly, too, right up until the point where Rei chose Shinji over Gendo (ruining his scenario), and then Shinji, having first given in and allowed Instrumentality, then turned around and rejected it (ruining Seele's).

In the end, though, each is really the only one who could ever understand what the other has been through. It'll be rough, but they need each other, and while they know they'll be hurt by each other, they still recognize that.

yes but EoE is Eastern canon

she only caressed him to see if he was real, don't read too much into it

Everybody try to find deep meaning, but it's very simple. It is all about opening yourself to other because true life is with them and you can't be really happy alone.

That sounds familiar, but honestly no one should really assume a trading card is a reasonable source for canon, much less a poorly translated one.

Why is there a Portuguese man in this image?

wrong

Well, that's part of it. That only explains why Shinji chose to end Instrumentality.

Well, the set was published by Gainax, and they proclaimed that it was canon.

Eh, they also proclaimed the game canon. If an idea doesn't actually have support from the text itself, there's no reason to regard it. I've never even seen that idea put forth by any of the creative staff in interviews.

I agree.

For me, both choke scenes were a crude expression of Hedgehog's theory. Asuka depreciated everyone around her everytime, only to be consumed in deep thought and hurt herself after. The last caress, to me, represented her self-understanding, and her feeling of not wanting to lose Shinji after what she had seen in Instrumentality; and also, to show Shinji that they were alive, and not actually the one on their minds.

My theory is that he wakes up on the beach and the only other person he sees laying next to him is Asuka. He chokes her because he thinks he might be in a dream and he's pissed that Asuka is there with him. I guess he doesn't want to admit that if this really is a dream then he's in control and he subconciously (doesn't want to admit) brought Asuka (and only Asuka) to him. So he chokes her out cause he wants to hate her and doesn't want her to be there next to him.

Why would he think it's a dream?

I think he didn't know whether or not it was a dream. I think he woke up, saw the scene around him, saw Asuka laying there, and came to the conclusion that if it was a dream then he did not want her to be there. I think he was just overcome with anger towards her. Anger that was building from all the shit she gave him throughout the series. The rage left him when she caressed her face. I'm still not sure why she did that, or why she didn't fight him. But that's my take on the whole scene so far.

yup, the 2nd movie is great-tier, the rest is just bullshit

The developer called it canon, Gainax called the setting original to the game.

Is watching a trainwreck fun?

4th movie FUCKING WHEN?!

no one know , if someone tell you they know what the fuck happened during the ending of EOE they lie

>Is watching a trainwreck fun?
Yes...yes it is.

Then watch Rebuild.

Oh shit are they still gonna make the 4th movie at all ?

WHOAH

Overfilled with regret, he returned to his last “realistic” interaction with Asuka.

There any interviews where the director explains what the fuck was going on himself to clear up common misconstruance? I've heard this anime/movie/series explained in so many different ways now its infuriating.

Was it all supposed to be about the right to make choices and free will? Thats the closest thing I can pin with this shit.

When she reacts back calling him disgusting for choking her does this mean they are not in the LCL still and that somehow she didn't actually die before or was somehow resurrected ?

The musical gave most of the answers, probably because it was aimed at younger audience and explained more.

Sure aren't. He gives interviews to contradict himself in other interviews and shrugs the same way at every interpretation. Unless it's actually opposite to his intent for simple on-screen details, he was sort of hostile to the idea that Misato shot Kaji.

One thing we can be sure of is that she is alive and feels extremely shitty.