Other urls found in this thread:

dw.com/en/deutsche-bank-kicked-out-of-stoxx-index/a-19443477
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>There is 1 poster in this thread

What a loser.

a masterpiece of its genre

now watch EoE and be done with it

Anime really hasn't gotten any better since Evangelion

A band-aid ending forced by an abrupt budget cut that happened after parents started complaining this Saturday morning cartoon has too much sex and violence in it.

Go watch End of Evangelion, they made a movie to substitute for these last two episodes.

evangelion running out of budget is like a bank running out of money

I watched that movie years ago
I still have no idea what happened
did everyone die?

But that's happening right now.
dw.com/en/deutsche-bank-kicked-out-of-stoxx-index/a-19443477

Does this mean the franchise is getting cancelled?

rip 4.44

basically, everyone had the choice to either merge into one soul or live through third impact. The only people who kept their individuality were asuka and shinji.

Doesn't that imply that everything will eventually be one soul? (even if it takes thousands of years)

You've seen the lack of budget.

There were better shows airing in the same year as Eva. Let alone after.

>basically, everyone had the choice to either merge into one soul
Pretty sure no one had a choice. Everyone turned into Tang against their will. While Shinji had a choice to stop it and only chose to spare himself and Asuka. For no other reason other than symbolism of Adam and Eve.

I've watched the first series and EoE aswell. I'm ready to watch the Rebuild series but can someone explain to me is there a difference between 1.11 , 2.22 , 3.33 etc and the 1.0 , 2.0 3.0 etc ?

Are they different at all or just different names ?

Congratulations

> just different names

Thank fuck for that I was worried it was gonna be even more complicated.

No, everyone has the choice to leave. Shinji and Asuka are just the only people we see do so.

>everyone has the choice to leave.
>everyone in the control room screaming about not wanting to die but turn into Tang anyway

Yup. Totally about choice.

1.0, 2.0 .. etc. were the original theatrical release titles

they named them 1.11, 2.22... etc for the DVD/BluRay releases

They're forced to join and then given the choice to leave later.

sounds like how things already are in reality

really makes u think

>I'm ready to watch the Rebuild series
protip: you shouldn't

I can look past the flaws to see what was intended and I like this psychological ride so far. It's very disturbing but there is a twisted comfort in the disturbance.

You're liking it because 1.0 is the only good one.

I haven't watched any of Rebuild yet but I'l give it a chance. Besides most people just sook about NGE because they didn't understand everything.

Congratulations: the anime

now go watch Tang: the sequel

>he choose to spare himself and Asuka
That doesn't make sense, how do you know that? Maybe the ending just decided to focus on Asuka and Shinji in order to make that symbolism, but really it doesn't make sense for him to only "spare" her, it would make more sense for everyone else to come out too, maybe after them.

Read the rest of my post. The ending doesn't make sense at all. The ending with Shinji and Asuka is just forced symbolism of Adam and Eve. A single man and a single woman left to repopulate Earth after being kicked out of the garden yadda yadda.

And as I pointed to, there's tons of people who got turned into Tang against their will. With no indication of them ever coming back. So I'm pointing out the very same thing. At the very least, Misato would have also been brought back. Shinji liked her far more than Asuka.

End of Eva contradicted the entire message of the show. It was just a high budget visual orgasm like the Escaflowne movie. This is why some people theorize Anno made it purposefully to spite the fanbase. Though I don't know if I would go that far.

Go watch the last 20 minutes of the movie again. Both Yui and Rei explicitly state that people will be able to return to their human forms if they so choose. The final scene has Shinji and Asuka alone because that relationship was one of the major focuses of the movie.

>being this wrong

>using greentext instead of stating counter examples

>Go watch the last 20 minutes of the movie again. Both Yui and Rei explicitly state that people will be able to return to their human forms if they so choose.
They also spend a bunch of time talking about how the fate of everyone in the world is based on the whims of Shinji. And he could choose to kill everyone or let everyone return or anything in between. This is one of the many contradictions of the movie.

>The final scene has Shinji and Asuka alone because that relationship was one of the major focuses of the movie.
And I'm saying their relationship wasn't strong enough to explain why out of billions of people in the world, they are the only ones who returned. Plus, you're overlooking how Shinji tried to fucking kill Asuka.

>They also spend a bunch of time talking about how the fate of everyone in the world is based on the whims of Shinji. And he could choose to kill everyone or let everyone return or anything in between. This is one of the many contradictions of the movie.
If you actually watched the movie, you would have noticed that he realized his desire to control everyone was misguided and that's why he decided to allow everyone to decide whether they wanted to live or not.

>And I'm saying their relationship wasn't strong enough to explain why out of billions of people in the world, they are the only ones who returned.
They get back first because they are the people who best understand how to control their AT Field and were therefore the first able to reform their bodies out of the tang.

>Plus, you're overlooking how Shinji tried to fucking kill Asuka.
I'm not overlooking it, it's just not particularly important to the mechanics of the situation.

>If you actually watched the movie
Same with you.

1.0 >Nothing special, just a remake of the first 6 or so episodes
2.0 >wish fufilment for those who complained about shinji being a "bitch"
3.0 >Anno letting the animators go ham and do whatever they wanted while masking a sideplot as the main plot

I wouldn't be saying this were an interpretation thing and you weren't just wrong.

Currently rewatching Eva (what's with all the Eva threads in the last three days? Kind of freaky).

Anyway, I actually never thought Shinji was a whiner. Its made pretty clear that he's a passive guy who is afraid of just talking to his dad, let alone saving all of humanity. So I can accept a lot from him.

My problem is more that the situations in the show break the suspension of disbelief. Everything is too convenient. Shinji just left NERV? So suddenly all the other pilots can't do anything and he has to return. Shinji is doing well on his synch tests? Of course that means the next Angel has nothing to do with Shinji and is stopped by Ritsuko with the power of typing fast.

I get that Eva has a monster of the week formula. But the story outside of that tries to be more realistic. So it just ends of feeling like outside of battles, you're watching the West Wing. Then whenever an angel appears, it suddenly turns into Sailor Moon. I almost think the show would have been better served without the mechs at all.

I don't understand what your point is. One of the major themes of the show is how even when you're fighting against creatures that threaten to destroy the world, personal relationships are still important.
These aren't really even plot holes. Sync tests occur throughout the series and they're always low key affairs. No one ever says anything about how someone's high sync scores during testing let them beat a particular Angel or anything to that effect. And the reason Zeruel sweeps the floor with Asuka and Rei is because Asuka is coming unraveled and Unit-00 is just canonically crap due to being the prototype.

The intention was literally to prop up asuka as a character. Once you realize that and watch 3.33, you will realize why Anno didnt really care about making a fourth movie.

There is nothing deep or profound about the rebuilds, thats why people are telling you they are garbage.

>No one ever says anything about how someone's high sync scores during testing let them beat a particular Angel or anything to that effect.
Sync ratios are how well you can meld with the Eva itself. Hence how Shinji merges with Eva 01 when he goes over 400% in sync. The closer you are to having a high sync, the closer you are to becoming the Eva. And the reason Rei is never able to do well is because the Eva is literally rejecting her, realizing she is a clone.

All of this is explained. Just explained through actions and not force fed to the audience through exposition dialogue.

Which leads to the next point. Much of the shows major dramatic moments are examples of plot armor and plot convenience. The majority of people don't notice it. It sounds like you didn't notice it either. But just pointing out that it is there and throws some of the dramatic effect off for me.

>Much of the shows major dramatic moments are examples of plot armor and plot convenience.
Plot armor maybe, but not convenience. All the major dramatic moments are foreshadowed in some way.

Both times Shinji runs away from Nerv only to be brought back because he is the 'only one who can do it' are the epitome of plot convenience. Another writer would have found a different way to express Shinji's sadness and anger without resorting to such strained cliches. I mean, its something you'd see in a generic shounen anime. "The great swordsman leaves because he questions the morality of fighting only to be brought back to save the woman he loves, etc" The only difference is the triggers, which are Eva and Shinji himself instead of killing and a woman.

Something very overrated.

Just because it's cliche doesn't make it bad. It still puts Shinji in an interesting dilemma, and putting him into a common one can serve to show how he can look at this situation differently compared to other characters.

>Just because it's cliche doesn't make it bad.
Unless there's a better option or it could have been handled better.

How could it have been done? You say there's a better way but how?

There's a million ways to do it, as with writing any story. But just for the specific situation I named (Shinji running away), I would have instead had him Shinji indirectly confront Gendo and try to change things from the inside of NERV. The problem with this is, you'd have to rewrite a lot of the earlier episodes. But I also feel like that is necessary since Shinji doesn't have enough built up to his actions.

Its obvious that Shinji is passive and scared. But he goes from being this way to angry and lashing out with no development. While Koji being almost killed is indeed a harsh thing, there's no reason Shinji would have gotten as mad as he did. At east not in relation to all you know about him up to that time. In the span of one episode, he goes from being embarrased of kissing Asuka and content to piloting the Eva to suddenly giving orders, going against Gendo and threatening to destroy the entire Geo Front with his Eva.

tl;dr Shinji needs more development up until he flips out. Just having him run away isn't enough as the only way to get him back is an Angel attack. Which avoids the development again.

There's plenty of suggestions of Shinji's pent up rage in earlier episodes. Yelling at his father in the first episode, screaming in rage as he kills the Fourth Angel (the last event that made him quit NERV interestingly enough), in addition to the fact that he's clearly frustrated about his relationship with his father in a general sense.
Also, the angel attack isn't the only thing that makes him go back. Shinji clearly considers not piloting even after Zeruel attacks, but it's Kaji's words of encouragement that actually push him to go back in.

Excusing my fucking disgusting MS Paint skills, the shitty compression and the fact that I used a shitty Kissanime version for screenshots this is a compilation of scenes towards the End of Evangelion.
It seems that in the context of deciding whether to live in Tang "paradise" or the harshness of reality there is very little indication here that the reason others besides shinji and asuka didn't come back was solely for the purpose of Adam/Eve Garden symbolism (although I won't deny that it was there in One More Final: I Need You).
The lesson of Paradise v Reality focuses solely on a person's decision whether they want to live in a reality that will hurt them, make them fell fear, make them cry, make them feel despair but also offer moments of genuine happiness with the alternative being a paradise with no pain or suffering, but with no happiness or joy either. And that's kinda really one of the most important things to take form Eva as a whole and why I think it resonated with so many. Yes life is shit. There's no fucking sugar coating it, Anno is screaming despair to your pathetic face through NGE. But even he realises that life is still worth living. That's what the final scene of EoE meant. Pain is everywhere, but there's some love here and there (Asuka caressing his face and acknowledging his flaws afterwards). That's why I love EoE.

TL;DR EoE's lesson is that real life is mostly sad, but sometimes happy.