Best OVAs/movies of the 80s and 90s

What are some of your favorites from the golden age of anime?

Angel's Egg

Wicked City is probably my favourite.
The visuals are possibly my favourite of any anime ever.

Fucking BD when, Madhouse?

Also any classic anime BD released in the last months?

nice rec thread friend

Macross Plus
Patlabor 1 and 2

A lot of gundam stuff

Project A-Ko is pretty good even with the Spanish dub.

Patlabor. You can watch the 7 episode ova and the first 2 movies for an abridged version or just the whole TV series.

My favourites are Akira and anything by Miyazaki. Most of my favourite anime movies are post 2000 though. There are a ton of 80s movies but they're mostly all junk in my experience.

Or you can watch the tv series for a washed out version of the ova and the movies.

>OVAs/movies of the 80s and 90s
>golden age of anime
Golden age was when masses paid attention to anime dumbass. By 80s it was already over.

Many people call the 80s the golden age of anime because crazy growth and funding. By many people I mean Wikipedia.

>What are some of your favorites from the golden age of anime?
K-On!, but what does this have to do with 80s OVAs?

Literal VAGINA DENTAAADAA!!

Makie was my first waifu.

Growth was pretty crazy in the 60s. You went from 0 new TV anime in 1962 to 13 in 1965.
Funding for OVA was just a financial investment and had poor results like the countless unfinished stories.

>7 episode ova
Thats Early Days, right?

Is it bad like Ghost in the Shell and Angel's Egg though?

It's worth watching the movies just for the animation. I personally liked the plot; the early days ova goes back and forth between sleepover shenanigans and stopping terrorists and old dudes musing about war but all of the characters are great.

Area 88 and War in the Pocket are personal favorites of mine.

Area 88 for that sweet dogfighting and just for being plain cool. Love those 80s songs

War in the Pocket because it's such a good coming of age story told in an excellent fashion. Characters, action, pacing, everything was great

>plain
1 job

shit, I just realized

This desu

Best anime ever senpai

>OP has shit taste
Demon city is literally crap that the director decided to make after wicked city got appraised highly.
It was like how Anno made weird moe shits because he needed to make quick bucks

Have you seen it in the last ten years? I am currently working on it and it is overall pretty bad.

that movie is garbage but yes, kenshin is great.

Cliché answer but still one of my favorites

not entirely related but
>tfw i actually liked second ghost in shell movie

not even because im super pretentious or something and was like wow so smart i know that quote. i just thought the part at the end where he gets mad at the kid whos soul was being moved was really SOMETHING

The BAD BOYS Ovas were pretty good

>GitS
>Tenshi no Tamago
>bad
Possible. It's a lyrical masterpiece.
Kenshin is shounenshit garbage.

A-ko is a patrician's anime, you need to leave the pseudointellectual Oshii jibberish at the door

Love this. Also dyrl and be invoked.

You have shit taste. Even Tezuka praised it.

cyber city niggers

>Kenshin is shounenshit garbage.
The OVA is from the manga, retard

Yeah, it's an adaptation that turns something mediocre into a masterpiece.

>The OVA is from the manga, retard
wew lad, guess what fucking magazine the manga ran in
And if you actually think the series itself is better than Trust & Betrayal you're actually retarded

Naice bait mate

My man.
>movie

I never understood why the OVA was so fantastic, but the manga and anime look so garbage.

>comparing movies/ovas to TV series
why the fuck do people do this

>you know realize this is DEEN
I'm pretty sure no one is compairing the visuals.

>look so garbage
he literally compared the visuals

Yeah, that's the literal meaning, then there are others.

Robot Carnival
Giant Robo Earth stood still OVA
Demon City
Vampire Hunter D
Akira

I don't think I've watched any films from that era

Cyber City Oedo 808

Didn't mean it in that sense originally, but if I think about it it looks shit in the literal sense too.

Birdy the Mighty was good.
Please Save Our Earth was good.
Mighty Space Miners was okay but ends on a cliffhanger.
Golden Boy is great.
Gatchaman 94 is decent.

Thanks for the recs friends

>didn't quote me
aw

Wicked City is by the guy who did the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Ninja Scroll movies.

i consider them all to go hand in hand. those great movies all have a lot of similar themes.

>Area 88
my 1 and only nigga.

Name of the OVA? OP??

read the thread you dumb faggot

>Ninja Scroll

Watched this with a friend not too long ago. Not bad, was instantly reminded of Wicked City.

for each of those movies it's like the director was trying to do a Boss Rush in anime form

Demon City Shinjuku

lurk for 2 years before posting

Kikaider OVA had some good moments

the Zeiram movie also had a pretty decent ova

Not that user, but what did you suggest?

Surprised no one else has said them yet but I'm going to go with FSS and the Devilman Birth

Devilman Birth is comfy

>Boss Rush in anime form

Scary yet, the main characters all felt mortal as fuck. Nothing at all special about them and they got their asses kicked until something usually happened to save them.

I loved Nadesico

>Also any classic anime BD released in the last months?

red photon zillion has BDs on amazon now.

The setups that led to Jubei being saved showed some very tight storytelling. I don't recall any of his "wins," being contrived at all.

I noticed that the 80s anime tend to have lower amount of engrish - even the VA did better in that regard, not to mention those glorious cheesy english songs.

Did the english skills of the Japanese decay over the time, along with the quality of the anime?

>I don't recall any of his "wins," being contrived at all.

Didn't mean it like that at all. The movie never went out of it's way to glorify the main character at all; he wasn't some chosen one or some super powerful character who knows all the super secret katana attacks, he was just simply skilled at being a swordsman with a tie into the story and that's that.

What happened to that kind of MC, user?

It's like a mecha parody or homage or something like that, right?

Yes

Iczer-1

You're Under Arrest had some good OVAs.

If you want something good, try Riding Bean and/ or Gunsmith Cats.

Legend of the Blue Wolves is always fun.

I think Iria is one of my favorite portrayals of a female MC (alongside Rally Vincent). As a whole, the thing wasn't too amazing or anything, but I felt Iria herself was really good.

It had some great OVAs. I still remember one scene where they put so much effort into animating moonlight reflecting off a car's headlights.

Arcadia of my Youth

>anime is garbage
Kyoto arc was fantastic.

Darkside of Devilman

hard as fuck to find a good torrent of it though

>hard as fuck to find a good torrent of it though

Are you new?

nigga nobody seeds this movie

A-Ko is still fucking incredible. I wish more anime had that kind of liveliness in it these days. It's why I love shit like FLCL and PaSwG.

As for the OP: the Battle Angel OVA was based for what it was (we shoulda gotten more), Ninja Scroll is still great, anything Dirty Pair is generally good (Project EDEN is fucking amazing), Lodoss needs a goddamned US Blu-ray release and a redub right the fucking fuck now, and I would kick myself if I didn't mention Iczer-One, the first "horror" anime I ever saw (that was a fun weekend for 13-year-old me).

Oh, and since you faggots can do Rei vs Asuka for 20 years, let me throw another long-standing rivalry out here for you: Ryoko > Aeka. SUCK MY FUCKIN' BALLS.

its on km

I found it extremely well seeded in less than 30 seconds.

>No more Sonoda works ever

It huts to live.

- Golden Boy
- Gunsmith Cats

MY BROTHA. Rally Vincent is the fucking best, and Golden Boy is one of the most hilarious OVAs ever.

Wait, what? Why?

guess I need to up my game

>mfw

Well, he simply disappeared after 2000, never doing something noteworthy, some new manga series here and there and other works on the anime industry. Its like a curse, many oldchool names of the industry simply vanished after 2000: Haruhiko Mikimito, Satoshi Urushiraha, Kenichi Sonoda, Yoshitaka Amano (even if anime was only side projects to him) to name a few

>Satoshi Urushiraha

Well I can understand why he disappeared - Front Innocent killed his studio. (That we will never get a second episode is a crime against humanity.)

What does Amano do these days besides illustration for Vampire Hunter D?

We can still rewatch Plastic Little for the nth time

He still works for Square doing some Final Fantasy illustrations every now and then whem they annouce a new game. He did a collaboration with Ubisoft to promote Child of Light and I heard he did a exposition of his work some time ago. He must be retired, enjoying the good life

>He must be retired, enjoying the good life

He's earned it, I hope he's enjoying it. I really do.

This thread needs more Birdy

I really miss the look of '80s/'90s animation. It is my fucking aesthetic.