"Dubs everyone should see"

Are there any English dubs worth watching for historical value? Or at least to get a better idea of the series or anime in general at the time?

I've been wanting to check out the original Sailor Moon dubs, no matter how hilariously bad they are. I'd say it's one of them, if such a thing exists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N4LOLJ05h2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dub rec thread
Kill yourself at least three times and then stick to Sup Forums.

literally only dbz and cowboy bebop...

i mean your going to get a lot of people posting stuff like ghost stories.

>Are there any English dubs worth watching for historical value?
No. Thank you for your time.

No, not a dub recommendations thread. That would mean they're good. Many 60s through 90s anime had bad dubs. This thread is purely about the value of the dubs. They're important in introducing anime to people

user, the "give me bad anime to laugh at with my friends" threads we occasionally get are still rec threads, and so is this. Now fuck off.

It was intended for discussion instead of recommendations.

Ghost Stories doesn't count as no one likes the original.

El Hazard.

>"Dubs everyone should see"
Mine.

First post, best dubs

No

>sailor moon dub
>worth watching
>historical value
Unless you're a tumblrina watching it for le nostalgia xD then don't waste your time.

>any dubs worth watching
No.

>I've been wanting to check out the original Sailor Moon dubs, no matter how hilariously bad they are. I'd say it's one of them, if such a thing exists.
Sailor Moon (and CCS) are the epitome of why a person should never watch dubs. Not just for the bad voices, but also the massive editing and entire episodes being removed.

A dubbed anime isn't an anime anymore. Its just a western script with Japanese animation. Which is basically the same as a western cartoon.

Ghost Stories.

And another reminder if you reading someone else's subs it is inherently censored and a western work. You either know Japanese or you do not consume Japanese media.

Seems more like a "I want to torture myself with horrible dubs, what are the ones that will rape my soul the most" kinda thread.

>subs are censored
Except you can hear the Japanese and compare them. There's plenty of subs I can point out which are inaccurate (practically anything subbed by ADV for example). But I can tell because I'm also hearing the Japanese and can compare them.

With dubs, you don't hear the original Japanese at all. Since its been replaced completely. So you don't know what has been changed or even if there was a change. That's censorship.

If you know enough Japanese to actually tell, then you don't need subtitles. Japanese sentence structure is too different from most other languages (especially English) to be able to tell when a specific word is omitted.

There's an inherent tradeoff with any sort of translation, and the method by which the translation is interpolated into the work really doesn't make a hill-of-beans difference. I think it's actually way more important to understand the culture and society from which a work originates, so that you have a much fuller context for everything.

The only real point subfags have over dubfags, is that the Japanese VA pool is historically higher-quality than the dub VA pool, but even some of that is changing as the industry becomes more mature.

Kill yourself, you cancerous sack of shit.

You seem butthurt. May I offer you a salve?

>he thinks I'm cancer so he's butthurt
Kill yourself.

>If you know enough Japanese to actually tell, then you don't need subtitles.
Being able to identify small phrases is not the same as knowing a language fluently dumbass.

>Japanese sentence structure is too different from most other languages (especially English) to be able to tell when a specific word is omitted.
But its not so hard as to realize when a subtitle is blatantly translating something wrong. When all the character says is 'sa' and the sub translates it as two whole sentences, even a 5 year old can tell something is off. But while you can tell something is off with the sub, you couldn't with the dub. Because the dub would just have the character speaking the full two sentences. Just like they did in Spirited Away, where my example comes from.

Man. Dubfags really go through extraordinary hoops to justify alterations.

>tripfag
>defending dubs

Just when I thought I'd seen everything...

Robotech
Gundam SEED

Do you mean good or hammy as fuck fun

Well good are
Cowboy Bebop
Gungrave
Hellsing
Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
DBZ
Trigun
Redline
Zoids
Ruroni Kenshin had a better dub then sub
All Miyazaki Films
S-Cry-ed
Space Dandy

Hokey fun
Sailor Moon
Card Captor
Giant Robo Ova has that awesome over the top old school dub thing

I'm actually curious now.
Can anyone suggest some good dubs and some hokey but good dubs?

>Are there any English dubs worth watching for historical value?
No

>I've been wanting to check out the original Sailor Moon dubs

Oh, this is absolutely a great idea, I even wrote up a recommended guide for watching the more entertaining parts of the dubs (as most of it is boring and not worth watching)

Ok, here's what I recommend for the opening arc.

Ep 1. I find that first half of this is much better in Japanese as it handles the character interactions far more intelligently. However, starting from the scene in Usagi/Serena's bedroom, this reverses and the dub ends up being superior for the rest of the episode, with unique transformation music, better dialogue for Luna and Serena and a more exciting atmosphere.

Finishing watching that, you should watch ep 2 and 3 dubbed because the edits make the first few episodes feel like a multi-parter with improved flow overall. Things will feel crazier and more plot heavy, partly because of parts from future episodes being thrown in and darker music is used.

Episodes 3, 6 and 10 are worth watching, but you can drop them if you find yourself bored during them. Episode 4 is notable for having an original insert song near the end of it which has no equivilent in Japanese. With the other episodes in the Jedite arc, most of them can be watched if you want, but there mostly isn't any point to doing so over the Japanese equivalents if you've already seen them.

>When all the character says is 'sa' and the sub translates it as two whole sentences, even a 5 year old can tell something is off.

Or when there's literally no dialogue at all, but subtitles still pop up pretending someone's talking off camera.

I think it was Kiki that had this shit in spades?

Mononokehime also did it.

>The only real point subfags have over dubfags
Voice acting is part of the original production, so it's easier for them to get relevant input from relevant production members. While the animation is done before the recording, the script is made before animation. Clearly the mouth flaps timings aren't entirely random, which means dubs will have a harder time adjusting unless they edit the animation (I think Disney does this?). And lastly if you care about artistic integrity (inb4 pretentious), the original voice acting is part of a finished product. Most people can't watch it the way the creator/director intended, but minimizing the difference is a good thing in my mind at least.

Also what the other guy said. Someone who doesn't know Japanese will miss mistakes too, but there is at least the chance to detect them.

the jellyfish princess dub was surprisingly good, it's hardly required though or even recommended if your just going to see it once, just thought I'd mention it though.

And some productions, like high budget movies and shows like Cowboy Bebop, still do voice acting before the animation. Usually they do it twice. One is a 'dry run' where the actors act and then they have the actors do it a second time to sync up with the animation.

On dubs that are unironically good: Cowboy Bebop

For different flavors of bad dubbing: DiC Sailor Moon, ye olde Funi DBZ, English Digimon, 4kids Pokemon

Whoever did the voice for Faye in English killed it for me. As well as a ton of the secondary characters who had really bad voices.

But I even think the Japanese voice for Spike did better than Steve Blum. So while the dub isn't 4kids level bad, I don't really see a reason to watch it over the Japanese. Cowboy Bebop is pretty much an example of 'it was tolerable, unlike most dubs'.

check 'em

Most dubs I've seen are good, at least the post-90s ones. Some are interesting in an educational sense even though they're not good though. For example, I'd recommend watching Tokyo Mew Mew's dub if you watch TMM.

>practically anything subbed by ADV for example
Examples? I'm really curious.

Tons of alterations in Azumanga Daioh (Meatballs, Texas, etc)

In the Rurouni Kenshin OAV, when Kenshin is asked why Tomoe's fiancee wanted to kill him, Kenshin replies with a one word answer, 'Determination'. But in the ADV version, they changed that word to 'Spite'. Seems like a small change. Except it makes Tomoe's fiancee seem like a vicious killer and ruins all the story after it. While determination does just as it sounds. Points out that he wasn't trying to kill Kenshin, just 'determined' to survive to get back to Tomoe. And sets up the entire motivation for Tomoe.

In the Slayers movies and OAVs, they changed every spell name to avoid having to pay Software Sculptors money for using the spell names.

In Princess Tutu, they changed Ahiru to 'duck'. Despite not changing anyone elses name from the literal. And by calling her duck, the name loses its double meaning. As well as some plot points are changed.

There's lots of other stupid things they do. But this is just off the top of my head.

>DBZ
DBZ's dub is fucking garbage. I'm not even talking about the voices or the music, the changes to the script is terrible.
youtube.com/watch?v=N4LOLJ05h2k

Kai is okay tho.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and the 1982 version of The wizard of oz were both dubbed into English before in Japanese. I am sure there are others.

Black Lagoon

You are by far the worst trip on this board.

Anything from Early ADV Films like Chrono Crusade, Evangelion, DNAngel, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, etc...

You'll hear a lot of V/A's that go on to become legendary (For better or worse).

>Sailor Moon dub
>Worth watching
As someone who has watched both the S and Super S dubs, I wouldn't wish that shit upon anyone. Even R was ass.

>All Miyazaki films
They're really not. The dubs are usually average to bad with some scenes being messed up by awkward deliveries.