Mind = blown

Someone with two million dollars who uses a portion to purchase $400,000 house in the middle class suburbs and with zero bills to worry about for the rest of his life or financial worry so lin as his lifestyle stays middle class....Willbe astronomically happier than a rich guy who moved to a more expensive & stressful zip code and lifestyle.

Is staying in a class BELOW your net worth the ultimate key to success?

In other words, if my parents stayed in a safer but lower middle class house with a middle class income...they could have saved a lot of stress

Other urls found in this thread:

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69396524.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, no reason to live at or above ones means to impress people.

Living below your means basically, to sum up my philosophy.

I believe living below your means should have been pointed into society, not living within your means, as that just tempts you for something more, naturally.

yes. this is the thesis of the Millionaire Next Door book.
People who have money have money because they don't fucking spend it. They drive generally shitty cars and live in modest homes.

Reducing your need for money makes you more independent and free and ultimately happy.

Money doesn't make you happy not needing money does. This can be achieved in different ways

Exactly dude.

I already know my dick is big and that I've made girls from around the world fall in love with me.

I know that I can impress everyone at any party I go to

I know have something special inside me that makes me illuminate

So it seems like balling out on disposable shit doesn't seem to be logical for the self-assured.

With that being said l, I'm a sucker for BMWs and vintage clothes. So I don't know where it ends

Sure dead on but society or rather those running it don't want you within your means. Credit card companies couldn't exist if everyone only bought what they needed and paid the bill on time.

What's the point of a million dollars in a checking account?

I'd rather have a million dollar house. You get use out of it every day, it appreciates in value, and if you do need a big amount of cash you can just borrow against the value of it.

Plus if the dollar crashes I can just sell the house for yuan or bitcoin or shekels whatever is the dominant currency then.

Either you can work for your money, or you can let it work for you.

Once you understand that having cash available means the ability to take advantage of opportunities, it's obvious how you should live.

Well, yeah, basically.

I work a pretty shitty paying job (teacher), but I live in a relatively small (read: cozy) house that I own completely. I don't spend thousands of dollars on the latest gizmo's, I don't try and keep up with the joneses. I just live a nice quiet life.

My father was very much the opposite, he worked at a bank and did all he could to climb the ladder. At one point he owned no less than 5 different houses, the cheapest one being around $250K the more expensive ones being over a million. The man went completely grey in his 40's. He spent around 14 hours a day working. I saw him maybe 1 day out of the week tops. The man was wired 24/7. Even when he was around he was always constantly checking his E-mail, his coworkers never let him have free time.

I asked him at one point why he was overworking himself like this. Why he, in his 50's was still putting in that sort of effort. He could have sold every house but 2, and retired immediately, wealthier than most people in America, but he refused and kept working. His response? Because he looked around his neighborhood and saw a guy who had his own helicopter pad, and got jealous. He wanted nice things because people around him had nice things, and he threw himself into his work completely because of it.

> Annual income twenty pounds
> Annual expenditure nineteen pounds, nineteen shillings, and six pence, result happiness.
> Annual income twenty pounds
> Annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
> Dickens
> Truth

>Plus if the dollar crashes I can just sell the house for yuan or bitcoin or shekels whatever is the dominant currency then.

And if the dollar doesn't crash, half your income is going towards the interest on your house loan. You lost all that money, and now you have to pay to repaire a million dollar house.

There's no need to live like this though, slaving for a system that doesn't care about you. I would say someone who owns a little land where he is mostly self sufficient, or someone who sails the seas on his own small yacht buying rice from islanders and exploring the world, is happier than someone who works 9 to 5 every day of his life to pay for his over inflated house in the suburbs and his big tv and car

yes they call it "living below your means" a concept lost on modern people for the most part. Its what generations of the past did and then passed the excess to their children which created generation after generation living better than the past.

gotta get that $1000 phone every two years, live in the hipster district, spend $130 a week on organic grocery and fair trade products and get that $30k car when you make $50k a year then bitch how you cant afford a home and are always broke.

You fail to realize that very expensive shit is also very expensive to maintain.

No shit. It's called living well within your means. The more money you have the more easily you can live within your means without sacrificing luxury. But owning a multi-million dollar estate is a sign of status for the rich, they try to impress one another by showing what they can afford to buy. That's what happens when you move in high society circles, you get pressured into spending lavishly on things you don't need just to fit in with your "peers".

but living in a nice place is the same idea of wealth but you get to enjoy it more...

Exactly

Now there are those that'd say living below your means but with financial security is boring

Well sorry brother, but it says more about you than it does your lifestyle choice if a peaceful life is unsatisfactory.

Know what I mean

All houses appreciate in value rofl.

Furthermore, a more expensive lifestyle brings in more stress kiddo.

I'm not saying to live broke - if you'd like a bonus room with sound proofed walls to play instruments have at it hoss.

But to push your limits in excess would be foolish l, almost all the time

Anything in excess is bad they say - most importantly besides your health is your spending habits

user, maintaining property is expensive. Setting aside property tax, there's also just the overhead needed to keep the house and grounds of the estate clean. Cleaning a normal 2 story house and maintaining a normal yard is work enough, with a massive estate you absolutely need to hire staff to maintain it for you or it will quickly become a sty. And I ask you: what's the point of living in a million dollar estate if it's a run down dump? You might as well just live in a crummy apartment. At least you could keep it clean by yourself.

No.

Again:

A multi millionaire in a ranch style house BUUUUT can afford ANYTHING he wants (within middle class GDP spending habits) and NEVER has to work again a day in his life.....

He's going to be happier than Justin Bieber in fromy of 60,000 people. I can almost guarantee you.

In regards to boredom...You'd make new day friends and get in touch with your family moreso. The horror of adapting.

FUUUUUUUUCK

I'm the same way as your dad, but for different reasons (wanting to conquer and shit)

I get tunnel vision focused on my goals to succeed in life.

I think living below your means helps you stop to smell the roses - and actually the reason why most choose not to is probably because we're all hungry for something better.

Perhaps human nature, or its within us Westerners. I mean living with your means is more of an Eastern thing isn't it

I wanna get high and buy rice from an islander, with Latin Jazz playing in the background as I'm wearing a white suit and a straw hat

>lives in million dollar house
>pays 25k+ in property tax

**living below your means is more of an Eastern thing

we choose not to do this because of two reasons:

●Us good goyim got brainwashed

●It's not within Western thinking to settle

Well this is what £1million ($1.3milion US) will get you in the UK in a shit area of London

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69396524.html

You'd certainly feel like you've reached the high life there or alternatively you could have blown it all on dugs and hookers.

LOL right. Their peers who don't care about them, too. Wow.

I'd much rather walk around my town at night while playing music and smoking weed with my true friends than get caught up with insecure purchases.

I wonder what separates an insecure person from someone who isn't.

If I was a millionaire, I'd see no need to buy a bigger house. All I want its a comfy house and NEVER EVER wake up at 5 a.m. to be a debt slave. Right now I am an slave but I plan to open my own business and thrive.

I'd make every penny count since I know how bitter life can be if you're poor.

>Plus if the dollar crashes I can just sell the house for yuan or bitcoin or shekels whatever is the dominant currency then.
if the dollar crashes, everything else will crash 10x worse

Email me

[email protected]

I'm about to start a business based off an app idea based on connecting people based off mutual interests. I havw the coders, but need more like-minded hungry people

>half your income is going towards the interest on your house loan
which you can write off at the end of the year

i lived in a brand new $650,000 house in maryland which was about the equivalent of a $1,300,000-$2,000,000 house in my current new jersey town. i moved there and from a $600,000 house in the same new jersey town.

the house in maryland was roughly 6x larger than my first house. it cost less money to maintain.

expensive shit is not expensive to maintain unless you're buying sold old piece of shit with low efficiency everything that's never been updated; that also goes for small pieces of shit.

wtf do you think is a million dollar house? i live in a $1.2 million dollar house. it's not a fucking estate, it doesn't have "grounds." I'm on a 150x150 lot in the middle of the suburbs surrounded by other million dollar houses.

my house is maybe 3,000 sqft? my house in maryland was over 6,000. it took me an hour to clean it top to bottom once a week with a furry ass dog who sheds everywhere.

you don't need to hire fucking staff, and if you do, you hire some spick or ukie nanny to come in and clean for a few bucks/week or biweekly.

housing scales with income. to you, $150/week might be a lot of money, but it's not to me. i'm sorry if that offends you. we can't all work at taco bell. i get my maid COMPED.

the houses you're talking about are $10m-$30m+, not $1m.

>selling your US house in bitcoin or shekels or whatever for the same price you bought it for
dollar crashing means buying and selling will rape you. you would owe the same on the house. you just have to pay more for things you consume. also, good luck selling your house in a foreign currency in the US.

>who are the winklevoss twins

The less liquid an asset is, the less valuable it is, generally.
Cash is the most valuable asset, therefor it can work the most for you.

You don't let a million dollars sit in your checking account, you invest it in the stock market, or in bonds, or in whatever, and constantly increase your worth.

A million dollars in bonds will almost certainly make you more money over ten years than a million dollar house will, and bonds don't cost maintenance.

>dad bought 2 room, 1 restroom house for $230k back in 1992 while working a shitty $8/hr job 12 hours a day
>he transferred the house title to my name and my brother
>I used $180k I saved over the course of 3 years and turned it into a 5 room, 3 restroom house
>shit's worth $850k+ now
My only problem now is getting him to retire, he says he'd have nothing to do if he does, thinking about buying him a new truck and a boat since he enjoys fishing.

OP here

Dude you're missing the point entirely

If you are having a lifestyle that matches your income, you're going to be stressed out

Why doesn't Bil Gates live in a house worth 70 billion dollars?

Why doesn't bill Gates own various countries?

It's because he's living below his means.

All people who discovered their zen does it.

Why not just get a trailer and a giant piece of land for far less than mill, then start up a business something that will always be needed, invest in a grocery store or something along those lines and make even more shekels rather than having buying a giant house to impress people.

I mean imagine this:

A house worth 70 billion dollars would stretch from Washington to California.

He thinks it's be retarded because it'd be too much stress to manage.

Well, most people in America step matching their lifestyle with their income

And THAT is why we have stress in America

That's it. Right there. We all match (at best) our lifestyle with our income.

yep you nailed it.

My goal is to reach ~$750k-1M and live off about ~5% interest and move to some reasonably safe cheap foreign country like Thailand or some such and literally live the remainder of my life with zero stress or responsibility, absolutely care free, answering to no one. I'm at about ~$300k right now so I'm getting there. Hopefully the next 3-5 years go well for me.

You wanna know what's awesome?

Kids are so innocent, that if you spoil them, they won't care about not having the latest iPad

Bro my roommate's daughter is more fulfilled playing Clue with her dad than I was playing video games in my room.

Well....When I was her age it was 1998, so that wasn't the case actually. But you get the point

i'm not disagreeing. if i could do it all over, i would; i'd live in a smaller house and not drive great cars. you become a slave to your money and possessions.

what you missed the point of was that all of my replies were to people who don't own a house or who have never been in or seen a million dollar house and i never said a single word on the main topic.

Living below my means let's me both invest discretionary income and take two gaudy vacations per year (Western Hemisphere) that I can actually afford.

THIS

Oh. Well yeah, ignore them and focus on ghe topic - living below your means isn't even a thought in out society.

Is it because we can't settle for 'just fine' or have we been brainwashed?

It's relatively fascinating

I know it's plebbit but you'd be very interested in reddit.com/r/financialindependence

People discuss various ways of gathering enough money to live off the interest, some are hardcore (retire at 40)

I do agree with you and it's basically how I try to live. Although I'll say that every so often I experience a sort of melancholy where I realize this choice also creates boundaries or limitations.

Anecdotal example but I was introduced to this girl through a friend of a friend, little korean girl, one of the hottest I'd ever seen, best face, best body, seemed to have amazing personality, educated, but incredibly materialistic in that she was friends with fashion designer types, wealthy dudes, CEO's, meanwhile here I am wearing walmart t-shirts (I'm childhood friends with the friend who brought me in, otherwise I'd have no business in that sort of circle), and the point is that for a brief second I'm thinking "jesus christ if I was extremely successful I'd have chances with girls like this" and I have that moment where I feel unaccomplished and a need to achieve more. But then it passes and I figure living below my means, completely average, with an average girlfriend, average comfort is "good enough"

OP here

I'm gonna use dome throwback slang that hasn't been on this board in a while:

My last girlfriend was god tier, and the chicks that I dated and partied with have been god tier as well.

Coley student living with a homeless veteran and a buddy. I sleep in my car to save rent.

Also fundamentally average looking too.

You don't need money. I got laid more in my 2002 Buick Century than in my 5 series BMW

Honestly if I won 2 million dollars, I'd get a $3k or cheaper motorcycle, a modest, comfortable home. Nice guard dog or 2, and I honestly have no idea what else to do with 2 million dollars. Probably pay whatever utility bill, food, insurance, etc till I finally die to my drinking habits. I honestly have no idea what to do with 2 million dollars, yet people spend 2 million like a high schooler buys a soda at the gas station. I might travel once or twice, or hell a few more times if I continue to enjoy it. Pretty sure I'd get bored though, and eventually finish college and earn a degree in some field of science maybe and figure out what to do from there. Or spend money on a decent hobby that could make me a few more bucks on the side. Ultimately, alcohol will fuck me up before all my money could ever be spent, so I'd probably bestow it on a son of European heritage.

*currently a student

(Been a poor tier student this entire time with these chicks)

Think about the lower class Irish parties compared to the square rich guys in Titanic

Can you imagine having hundreds of millions of dollars?

It's beyond my comprehension. A billion makes my head explode

Them again, I wonder how much real solid active money these very rich (hundred million+) have.

Net Worth just means if you sell everything you own. Bill Gates could have a third of his net worth in actuality, I dunno

Yes user this is the truth. The lawyers, high strung CEO types, trade their sanity and health for their "success". How many times do you hear about a corporate lawyer who makes a fuck ton of money end up dead in Tijuana because he was doing cocaine off a hookers asshole?

For sure dude I get that, I mean I get laid regularly but just feels like the quality of woman is kind of low, trailer trash sort, maybe a bit above. When I see these rich girls who also seem to have a kind personality and good fashion and all of that it looks like a different level from my perspective, if that makes sense, where in that moment I'm like fuck I want THAT.

I dunno, I've seen lots of women who hang with millionaires and I've seen lots of lower-middle-class women who hang out with broke dudes and there's definitely a distinct difference in how they carry themselves overall. Not saying poor girls can't be great, kind, sexy, wonderful people but I do notice a difference.

Anyway like I said it was just an observation I made, I plan to continue living below my means and having an average life.

If I had hundreds of millions of dollars I'd make sure every single member of my immediate family was comfortable for life. I'd probably charity the rest, I mean... to me, somebody who's 25 and who has only made 25K for the past 5 years as a soldier and barely makes 1k a month for school, 100+ million dollars is insane..
Think about this, Disney paid Lucasfilms 4 BILLION dollars, half CASH half in stock. 2 billion dollars cash.... wtffffff If I woke up with 2 billion dollars in my bank account, I'd probably die right then and there of a heart attack before I could even spend a sent.

It's pretty simple, if you live below your means you have little pressure to maintain your standard of living. Once you get used to a certain standard there will always be a bit of a fear of losing it again, but your motivation should be to gain something meaningful in life not the fear of potentially losing something.

Also, it's most likely their actual bank accounts hold millions and millions of dollars. hundreds of millions of pure, spendable, money. I mean the dude who shot up Vegas spent 10K daily.. GAMBLING, according to his brother and account information

Because 2 million dollars isn't what it used to be.

Dude I dated a chicken who had her own apartment room. 25 years old, Bachelor degree. 2017 Mini Cooper and she looked like Marilyn Monroe.

Realistically she could stand to read this topic lel. But you know, that was when I was living with my grandma and made $14 an hour.

I think above all else l..it comes down to this

Good looking people k kw they're good looking, so they want to be with someone that has energy that is unique and can't be duplicated.

Whether it's material things or your own personal vibe. But if you can't exert yor personal vibe, then people fall back on material things.

I looked deep inside myself andexamined all my flaws, humbling myself yet getting a strong grip on my confidence.

I did that l, and now a cute chuck who's s prodigy painting artist is sending my kissing emojis.

Most people don't have the balls to examine themselves. They'd rather distract themselves.

Looking in the wrong places. Maybe you want a science type girl, rare, but definitely out there. Tend to be more plain dressed, but still way above trailer trash.

That's why I married my wife,she hates most other women for their shallow, vapidness, and also dislikes the trailer trash types. Perfect balance for me.

Dude with 2 million dollars of spendable money in your bank account, that's 100k a year. If you're an average person with a debt of say 10k at MOST, then you can live 20 years easy off 2 million dollars with a 100k a year "salary." Idk how a person couldn't live off 2 million dollars for the rest of their lives. Let's say that all taxes on this money have been paid, that is $8333.33 a month payment for 20 years... How do you fuck that up?

>Someone with two million dollars who uses a portion to purchase $400,000 house in the middle class suburbs
>$400,000
>middle class

I don't even know what's middle class anymore.

The median sales price for new homes in the US is over $300k. That's all new home sales. When you look at metro areas around US cities, the areas where most suburbs are, the median new home sales price jumps to $500k-$800k.

The US real estate market is insane. Especially with all the Chinese moving as much of their money out of China as possible and driving up our markets looking to stash that money somewhere safer than the Chinese economy.

I wonder which negative trait is the least tolerable?

Vapidness and shallowness is bad

But is it any worse than a guy with anger issues, etc?

I further wonder how many negative traits we can actually self-identify

I just for the first time might have opened up to myself that I may be a bit selfish

I'll take it. I hated being shy back in the day

>your motivation should be to gain something meaningful in life not the fear of potentially losing something.

Fuck Gustav, that can be applies to relationships as well.

I noticed mysat one failed when I started to get the dense that I was holding on to it, rather than thinking towards the future with her

How do you get out of a relationship with a vapid chick? All my gf does after work is fb for fucking hours while watching shit like private practice.

that's great insight about how people want to be with someone who has "energy" and a sort of uniqueness that isn't common. I've actually noticed the same at times, just never really verbalized it the way you did. Nice to know.

that sounds nice dude, happy you found someone great. You're right I probably am looking in the wrong places most of the time.

Talk about with her.

You probably didn't see that coming when you first dated her. That's fine.

But you probably did settle with her because she's reasonably intelligent right? If she is, she should be intellectually curious to a new lifestyle if it'd benefit the both of you. Come up with a way to adopt to the new lifestyle too.

New hobbies, new music, whatever.

Get creative and problem solve

Long term relationship ships are for grown folk baby

First 2 years was long distance. Then I moved in with my dad for another 2 years then moved in with her once I completed my first half of college. Now we live together, and she doesn't do anything. She won't go for a walk with me, she won't go shoot with me, she won't do anything except maybe go out to eat or watch some boring ass movie. I've talked with her plenty but she barely gives a shit. We live together now and she's pretty much in constant relationship with my mother and grandmother through social media, and her family likes me because I go to their yearly gatherings. However, to me, there's pretty much nothing between her and I anymore simply because she doesn't do anything with me. Her opinion of "fun" is shopping for clothes.. I refuse to believe that's a fucking hobby.

Listen here buddy, not in this country. You will have that ass taxed to death in every facet of your life until you're dry. Around here you're either in the club or you're not, and if youre not well then.... You're not. The middle class has been nearly destroyed my friend.

Sounds like the GF I just broke up with. We had a very similar way of thinking, but we had very few similar interests so we found spending time together difficult. I'm still upset it didn't work out, but know it's better this way.

Think of hobbies as a way to connect to each other.

You're not there shopping for clothes because you enjoy shopping for clothes

You're there because you can talk to her about this, that, and the other.

In fact, shopping is an easy as fuck way to bind together I'd you think about it. To talk to each other about things that's on your mind etc.

Well it's not the cheapest way either lel, but you get what I'm saying..take the focus of the hobby - off caring what she's into - and put the focus on using her hobbies as a way to bond with her more. To ask her questions about she thinks about your hobbies and etc

Lol you probably hate me for saying all that, but you know

>Is staying in a class BELOW your net worth the ultimate key to success?
I can't understand why more wealthy people don't do this. If I got rich (and I plan to), the biggest item on my spending list would be a house - in Poland $200k would be enough to get away from the city. Then I'd just enjoy the comfort of having money and not being forced to work.

Or that's just a delusion. I'm a poorfag and I often imagine what I'd do if one of my moneymaking ideas actually worked. I could order pizza for dinner instead of standing in a long queue because of 10% discount. I could travel to see my oneitis, maybe even go on a vacation together or offer her to move in with me. I could replace the used-up parts of my bicycle, or maybe even get a driving license and some old car. And maybe I could order custom-made jackboots just to treat myself. So if now, living a lumpenproletarian lifestyle I dream of things I couldn't afford, does that mean that after advancing myself and making these dreams just a normal part of my life I'd start to desire even more and be just as unhappy as a middle-class man as I am as borderline white trash?

>burgers complaining about house prices
>insert jpg of jack black holding a stop sign

honestly, if I owned a house in Sydney I could probably just retire at 25 years old

> hur durr my gf wont go shooting with me

have you considered the possibility that the biological thing missing here is that you havnt gotten her pregnant yet? what the fuck is a wymyn supposed to do with her time when not having a litter of kids to take care of?

give her the D, the way josephs' wife's son intended to.

if shes not into that, dump her ass