The Global Economy

How you making out Sup Forums?

I'm trying to determine how bad things are these days. I'm 24 and have been working as a computer programmer making around 44K/year.

Sounds like shit, but where I live the cost of living is real low, and the average COMBINED household income is around 55K in my city if that puts things at all into perspective for you.

Now, here's what I am worried of. One of my senior programmers started at my company making 38K a year back in 2002. 15 fucking years ago.

How is this fair? Obviously we've seen an incredible amount of inflation and so many other parts of the economy breaking apart. We keep getting fucked by refugees and record levels of debt and fluctuations in (((interest rates))) and everything else.

It just seems to get worse and worse each year. My job is surprisingly comfy, I spend half the day working and the other half browsing the web doing whatever the fuck I please which is great.

How are you guys making out though?

Other urls found in this thread:

thenextweb.com/finance/2017/04/10/ancient-programming-language-cobol-can-make-you-bank-literally/
infoq.com/articles/retiring-mainframe-programmers
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where did you learn to program desu?

not OP but Codecademy is a good start
try stuff like html, javascript, php, then move on to harder stuff
From there, learn Java (lots of Java jobs)

My rent has gone up 50% in 5 years. My wages have not gone up 50% in 5 years.

In Australia lots of boomers are trying to become rent-seekers since there's not much else that's profitable.

Wages are stagnant but everything else inflates.

I've been on Sup Forums. Started code academy, I'd like to have a formal qualification, even though often it doesn't matter.

Codemonkey dosen't build much in the way of skills transferable to real life.

I went to a prestigious university so my salary reflects that as a software engineer.

made about $200k last year, so bretty good

I don't know, the drill, the lack of a nervous system, and the fake circumcision has got me kind of demotivated. Seeing as I can never be anything except a liver founder, obnoxious white man.

200k USD is so fucking huge in aussie-bux.

Believe it or not I went to school. I couldn't afford actual college/university though. So I went to community college/vocational school and got a 2 year diploma/degree. Cost me around $8K which honestly wasn't bad because many, many people I know have $40-50K debt where I live and work at McDonalds or Starbux, which is just fucking sad and pathetic desu.

My recommendation is to learn odd/rare programming languages. If you learn all the "standard" or "popular" languages that everyone else knows, you won't stand out as much for jobs. Like myself I am doing programming on a mainframe and I work with no Indians, all old white guys.

Codeacademy is OK at best. Mostly a meme site. Everyone, especially normies use it. So you don't really get ahead this way. You really gotta sit down and program yourself to get good at it.

What do you work at? Sounds like a lot.

Unless you are preselected. They will just keep on drilling you, and making it impossible to form a coherent concept.

Plus already spent my life under zog. Don't want to give any more to it.

back to with your pink Wojaks! Shoo, shoo!

>$40-50K debt where I live and work at McDonalds or Starbux, which is just fucking sad and pathetic desu.

It's not pathetic. It's becoming the norm. Humanities university courses need to be shut down. They just shackle people with debt and a degree that could have been earned with 6 months of independent study.
Reading the western cannon and discussing it on forms is a better education than 99% of humanists degrees anyway.

Political economy is Sup Forums

Move to America, you could easily be making 70k+ as a programmer and you won't have half your income taxed for refugees. Canada is shit for programmers.

IT stuff, also i'm an old man.

rly makes the best wojaks

Everything is fucked everywhere.

Yeah, whatever works I guess. It is possible, but it's tough regardless. I might have got luckier than most but if you can become competent you can find work if you try hard enough. Most people I've met who have degrees usually are pretty dumb, I really don't see much effort these days because people expect instant gratification without working for it.

I would honestly but if Trump changes the way Visa's and shit work I would be afraid of losing my job. One of my grandfathers who is dead now was American (I'm actually 1/4th American) and I have some connections to a company in Arizona (I heard its one of the better states?).

I might some day if I really want more money, but surprisingly I'm doing fine where I am with the cost of living, it's not great, but it's not terrible yet either (for now).

I see, well I'm hoping to get higher some day as well.

>One of my senior programmers started at my company making 38K a year back in 2002. 15 fucking years ago.

15 years ago programmers were far scarcer than demand for them. Today those "skills" are common as dirt even among street shitters.

You are in a "trade" for which supply outstrips demand. Chose a different trade or get used to it.

America holds out better than elsewhere. You dont see Aussies or leafs boasting of 200k incomes.

It's just another reason to GTFO of Australia.

I'm already at university (which is kind of a must for a good paying job where I live), however, you definitely did the better thing. I want to learn the basics first obviously, is it best to go to school or college for that, and then teach myself rarer languages?

Students are the most retarded people on the planet. They lack any practicality and common sense. That's why I want to learn programming as it is more practical and always in demand.

You can very easily learn programming on your own. Before going to school however I did it for around 10 years. I HATED programming in school. When it's academic focused, it's not fun, it's A LOT of bullshit. They try and turn it into some "advanced" shit. It's not really that hard, but they give you a lot of ridiculous questions that just aren't practical at all (in my eyes it wasn't).

As for the "rare" language thing, it's not really mandatory, but it helped me find a job. It really depends where you live and what companies are looking for in your area. Study that too, it will help you. I learned COBOL which believe it or not is 60% of existing code in the world and almost no one under 30 years old knows it, thats what got me my job with my company, and all the people who know it are retiring over the next 10 years or sooner.

Try it as a hobby first. Try building something from scratch once you have the basics down. What I would highly recommend to you is to think of ANYTHING you can imagine on a computer and build it. Actually that's part of what makes programming fun, is the fact you can completely build something from scratch.

When you get stuck, just search up how to do something. A lot of programming is heavily pattern based, once you get these patterns down it becomes very easy.

As an example, a program I built was an image rename/sorting program. I would type my folder name in, specify the image name, and increment it by +1. So for example if I had a folder full of memes, it would be renamed meme_1, meme_2, etc, whatever I decide to name it.

This is just one example though, you can definitely build way more cool and fun stuff which is IMO the best way to learn. Hope this helps.

Actually here is some supporting articles/evidence for my studies of COBOL. This is the shit you need to learn about before choosing a language. Don't just go for the "most popular" or "best language" as everyone does that (normies). You need to consider something rare of obscure to get a better chance at being hired.

thenextweb.com/finance/2017/04/10/ancient-programming-language-cobol-can-make-you-bank-literally/

infoq.com/articles/retiring-mainframe-programmers

This is how I got my comfy job.

I dropped out of comp sci 201 because I hated programming c++.. that was in like 1998 or something. I also did an internship at a company's IT department.. I hated that as well. I ended up getting a BA and couldn't get a decent job in my small town.. am a substitute teacher and am thought of as a joke by my students.
I should try to learn programming.. hell, I have like 50 hours of tutorials on programming that I should watch, but I'm trying to get a federal job in the meantime