Kill la Kill

What was the theme of this besides fanservice? Don't give up? Dictatorships are bad? I've heard people say there's more to this show and I don't see it

Seriously? It's literally right in front of you. Look at the image you posted.

Fight against fashcism.

It's all about staying true to the path you see before you, to not falter, to not stray and most of all to not loose your way.

It was an attack on the fashion industry and how it markets itself, especially to women.

dont lose your waaaaaaaaaaay

It's about the red thread of fate, the bond between people (like TTGL was a spiral, the progress ever continuing progress of a human being) Ryuko overcomes her internal struggle and validates her existence through her everdeveloping relationship with Senketsu, who mirrors her own existential crisis. This is a the fate forced on them by the life fibers (the red string of fate) but also something they chose for themselves time and time again. Those same red threads bind everyone I'm the show together.

Given the first few episodes I would have told you it was a bildungsroman told from the perspective of a female kind of like how flcl was the same style of story from a male perspective. It had shades of that towards the end as well.

I think it was about fun.

>fanservice

it's a show that wraps half naked women into a wacky plot about a school syndicate that ends in alium clothes being the driving force.

if you don't get that theme you are severely retarded.

Overcoming loss, moving on with your life, and growing up as a woman.

Don't try to help you'll only make things worse.

Read thisIf you didn't get that your severely retarded

>tfw everyone coming up with different answers

KLK doesn't have one theme, it has a bunch of them. But the whole fanservice thing was
>don't be ashamed of your body/yourself
With a bunch of metapors for growing up and finding your place in the world (kamui relationships were sex/marriage)

spoiler that shit for christ sake

Don't lose your weight.

believe it or not, the anime theme is the most feminist anime in history.

Yea and moby dick was about a man hunting a whale.

it must be calming living with a low IQ.

I thought it was about Moby's dick?

How can such degeneracy exist?

DeviantArt

Being comfortable with yourself. And friendship. I think.

Growing up you're extremely self conscious about your body by by the end it's just a natural thing.
At the start, Senketsu's look makes everyone stop and stare at Ryukko and she's weakened by embarrassment. By the end, Sasuki's full body naked and it's only treated like a serious moment, and the naked finale pile is just treated like a happy ending.

It's just fanservice and waifu pandering, there is nothing else.

There is nothing more.

Every person who says otherwise is either lying or a plain retard.

Quality-wise the anime is ok, looks good and has some good fights, but they're at the service of nothing, if you ever watched a shonen in your life you know what to expect in KLK, KLK is just a shonen with tits.

Do try to prove me wrong.

I don't wish it never happened, because it has some hot characters that I can read doujins of, I guess that's the biggest plus it has.

You can't change the establishment by acting as a part of it.

Maybe your not looking hard enough

why do you care about themes

klk was a fun watch and especially the early Sup Forums threads were great

that fucking first episode evening

>It's just a [boy's anime]

If you mean a battle shonen, it still really isn't. It's only, what, 26 episodes? It's not like one of those long running SJ manga where every few chapters a new enemy appears to fight x 1000.

KLK shares a lot more in common with school battle manga and anime (there's a difference) and that sort of thing from the 70s and 80s.

So literally TTGL?

>maybe your not looking hard enough
>maybe your not looking
>your not looking
>your

English please.

Nah, TTGL was about knowing your limits.

No it was about fuck limits you can go all the way

And then Nia died.

At first I thought it was going to be something deep about faschism, but that was quickly abandoned. Then it became about accepting yourself and red string of fate bullshit, but ultimately I think the writers gave up, especially with the ending scene of cute girls doing cute things. A rather apt progression that reflects the shallowness of modern anime?

He can always bring her back if he wanted

>faschism
Fashionable fascists?

you just overthink shit. It's an anime where scantly dressed girls fight in over the top ways. It may have a few underlying themes but overall it's just light fun, not every anime ever made is trying to be LotgH

But he didn't. Because he knew his limits. And then a new generator took over. Because he knew his limits.

The entire idea is based on the pun that fashion and fascism are similar.

But getting there he said fuck them

Yeah and that's all there is.
Doesen't mean that it was trying to be the great gatsby of our generation.
Almost every piece of narrative that exists has at least a theme to it, doesen't mean that it's trying to be deep or anything else but simple entertainment.

Everybody loves to remember fashionable fascists.

I thought Kill la Kill was satire?

This show is shit but having some one-sentence moral isn't what makes art good.or deep anyway.

That's true.

I meant "generation" in the previous post, by the way.

Kill la kill is a secret plot to make people read Thomas Carlyle's "Sartor resartus".

The Neoreactionaries and Nippon Kaigi are behind this, mark my words.

That wasn't the ending scene, that was the credits, a cute epilogue.

How is that the theme when it's only relevant in the first three episodes? Ryuko doesn't even have any epiphany about her body image in those episodes, the reason she gets over her embarrassment is because she realize that Senketsu was trying to form a relationship with her and she stops pushing him away.

>Ryuko doesn't even have any epiphany about her body image in those episodes
Did you fell asleep while watching episode 3? That was the whole point of that episode.

I rewatch kill la kill it fucking stupid.

Is nudity an empowering personal statement, or degrading fanservice? It's both. Is power an corrupting influence or a gateway to positive change? It's both. Kill La Kill is full of these kinds of dual themes.

Well saying excluding fanservice is a bit hard, because the fanservice was part of it.

The theme was that clothes and decorations aren't what define you, and you shouldn't be ashamed of, ignore or hide what is underneath, but that you should strive to become the best version of yourself, rather than a 'pig fawning over human clothing'.

pretty simple really.

It was.

Clothes = bad
Nacked = good
very deep

>fashcism
Not sure is spelling error or good pun.

>don't lose your way
>not don't lose your weight

Huuuuuh?

I heard this + a critique on wearable technology.

clothes are evil because alien material.

It's about violation of femininity, power of sluttiness, how society forces its expectation on women to act as the 'good girl' Satsuki and messy menstruation.

Coming of age story that revolves around the themes of family values versus social (and later natural) hierarchy, but is also loaded with intentionally uncomfortable, almost schizophrenic at times references to puberty, menstruation, female sexuality and the loss of innocence

>those Mako paintings ;_;

Whoever told you that massively missed the point that they would have been utterly obliterated in seconds if they didn't take advantage of the wearable technology. And this point is pushed hard from episode 1.

Did you finish reading that post? It totally wasn't the point of that episode.

But the two heroes who save the world are made of clothes. None of the naked human characters do anything but fight fodder.

let me be completely honest
was moby dick actually about anything more than "a man hunting a whale"?
What thematic depth does Moby Dick contain that would not be present in any other account of a man hunting a whale? Other than the cumulative dickriding of centuries of litcrit hacks, why is the story any deeper than "man hunts whale, as told by Herman Melville"

>One of the early critics of the Melville Revival, British author E. M. Forster, remarked in 1927: "Moby-Dick is full of meanings: its meaning is a different problem."
yeah, well you know what else is full of meanings, my limp otaku cock

I'm pretty sure this show was already airing before smartwatches were a thing.

It was her embarrassment that stopped her from forming a relationship with senketsu. The very reason why she always blushed after transforming, but didn't do it afterwards anymore. Why she questioned Satsuki not being embarrassed and Makos speech about getting naked.

Unless the creators actually come out and admit the themes they put in the show, I think we are all just grasping at straws

Doesn't matter. All that matters is the thing itself.

Most good creators don't consciously put themes in anyway, they develop during the process.

>In 2013, the claim to first ever smartwatch to capture the full capability of a smartphone was laid by startup Omate with the TrueSmart. The TrueSmart originated from a Kickstarter campaign which raised over 1 million dollars, making it the 5th most successful Kickstarter to date. The TrueSmart made its public debut in early 2014.

>aired in Japan between October 4, 2013 and March 28, 2014.

Accounting for the pre-production writing time that apparently involved redoing significant sections of the script and designs such as flipping characters genders, unless Trigger are big on tech they were just ahead of that wave.

That's why she was embarrassed, but she doesn't get over her embarrassment because she's become comfortable with being naked, she gets over her embarrassment because she realized getting naked, and becoming one was her way of connecting with him.

The distinction is that body image has nothing to do with this show from this point on but wearing Senketsu has everything to do with the show from that point on.

>was moby dick actually about anything more than "a man hunting a whale"

Yes because the author wrote the story with symbolizim in mind and not making it just about the whale hunt

Same thing.

>but she doesn't get over her embarrassment because she's become comfortable with being naked
Is in this context the same thing as
>because she realized getting naked, and becoming one was her way of connecting with him

>The distinction is that body image has nothing to do with this show from this point on but wearing Senketsu has everything to do with the show from that point on
Because she got over her embarrassment.

I get the feeling that you are reading more into this than I do.

fashion representing your social rank

KLK, like Evangelion and TTGL, is just a series of homages to mecha shows loosely strung together into something that resembles a story.

How...in the fuck...is KLK...a homage...TO FUCKING MECHA!!!
TTGL-yes
EVA - no : it took the stupid concept of putting little boys in robots and correctly showed what would really happen, they would flip shit

DELET THIS

While that's true, if they have something in mind any part of the direction from the colors used in a scene to the camera angels, costume design, and so on can further a theme. Those can be unconscious sometimes too, though.

somebody defending the depth of klk with a comment like this is the kind of entertainment you can only get on Sup Forums

Was this show made for boys but with its themes ended up drawing in female likes or do you think it was meant for girls the whole time

Or it's meant for both and that's the genus of trigger trying to get the largest audience possible

>EVA - no : it took the stupid concept of putting little boys in robots and correctly showed what would really happen, they would flip shit

That's a trope popularized by MSG 16 years (and then again by Zeta) before Evangelion came out. Evangelion was just revisiting it because Anno is a huge mecha fan.

It wasn't made for anyone specifically, really, but their audience is probably predominantly male. I get the impression the shows Trigger makes are just what they're into themselves. It can appeal to anyone.

BEFORE
I EXERCIIIISE

Yeah, that's true, not that it devalues Eva at all. People complain about Shinji but it's not like pilots before him haven't had the same reaction.

Is this supposed to be a "Before my Body is Dry" joke? Work on it. Maybe something about thighs.

>Eva - no
Good to know you've never watched any mecha series in your life

KLK is a direct homage to Mazinger and Cutie Honey as well as countless school battle anime that existed alongside it

She got over her embarrassment to be with him, being self conscious about her body stopped being a factor from that point on. Saying that growing up self conscious of your body is the theme of the show actually is reading into it too much.

It's made for loser otaku who happened to like Trigger enough to watch whatever they make

No one under the age of 14-16 should even be aware that it exists

Are those SWAT signals

You needed so long to answer, but came up with so little.

post more butt

It's pretty much just "clothes don't make the man", don't judge a book by it's cover, don't give in to peer pressure, embrace your own style.

Etc

You got it

read some barthes you fucking plebe