So Sup Forums, which do you prefer?

So Sup Forums, which do you prefer?

Sokihei M.D. Geist (装鬼兵MDガイスト, Sokihei M.D. Gaisuto?) is an anime and manga about a post-apocalyptic world. The series is extremely violent, often depicting graphic scenes of human dismemberment and evisceration.

Geist (the main character) is MD-02, a Most Dangerous Soldier, genetically engineered to function as a killing machine, but every one of the MDS units went homicidally insane. As a result Geist was placed in suspended animation in a stasis pod orbiting the planet Jerra until it crashed several years later, awakening him and bringing him into another war on the planet.

M.D. Geist was originally released in Japan by Nippon Columbia and re-released under the Denon label. It was released in the U.S. by Central Park Media in 1992; two years prior, the company used Geist as the logo for their mainstream anime label U.S. Manga Corps. Curiosity by fans over U.S. Manga Corps' logo boosted domestic sales of the OVA and prompted Central Park Media to collaborate with co-creator Koichi Ohata in producing a sequel. In 1996, Central Park Media released M.D. Geist - Director's Cut, featuring roughly five minutes of additional footage - including a new introduction and epilogue that paved the way for the sequel. Months later, CPM released M.D. Geist II: Death Force. In addition, the company commissioned Ohata and American artist Tim Eldred to illustrate the comic book adaptation.

In the United States, the Sci Fi Channel premiered M.D. Geist I and II during their Ani-Monday block at midnight E.S.T. September 29 and October 6, 2008 respectively. Following the closure of Central Park Media, M.D. Geist was re-licensed by ADV Films and will be re-released on DVD on July 2009. [1]

I should really try watching Jin Roh again. The one time I tried watching it before I fell asleep.

Ghost, the music makes it stand out a little more than the other.

I prefer both

Jin Roh.
Never gave a fuck about gits.

Patlabor 2

They both explore different subjects, I can't compare them and I like both of them for what they try to do and the wonderful animations.

I liked the setting and cinematics of Jin-Roh but the story was a bit weak. GITS had better team dynamics.

I fell asleep while watching Jin Roh, so Ghost in the Shell.

>rogot body

GitS by quite a margin. I really should rewatch Jin Roh sometime though. I feel like I didn't quite get it the first time and I'd like to appreciate it more.

>all this shit taste
Jin-Roh was significantly better. Both the plot and characterization of GiTS were very weak, it sacrifices everything for theme. So while GiTS is probably more impressive on a technical level, Jin-Roh is far more comprehensively enjoyable. Jin-Roh's story is beautifully constructed and its characters aren't totally flat.

>plot and characterization are more important than themes
How to spot a pleb

this desu

Guess I'm a pleb.

1. Character
2. Story
3. Theme

I see we have a patrician here. Jin Roh had characters you felt for, motives that were real. GITS was obviously a cyberpunk classic, but it lacks the human element. I completely forgot the plot in a week other than "that was cool"

Nailed it.

I was able to sit through Ghost in the Shell and enjoy it, Jin Roh made me sleepy and bored, sadly. And I was Kurosawa films.

How were Ghost's themes more powerful than Jin-Roh?

watch*

I feel like characterization isn't a fair criticism of GitS. I'll agree on plot, but as far as characters is was almost entirely about the Major and it presented her well.

>2
>better than 1

This. Oshii really ruined Patlabor in 2.

Jin roh is a movie,gits felt like a pretentious shonenshit

>it presented her well
How so? GiTS 95 is the version of the major with the least character overall.

Its not about what the subject matter is, but how well the film explores it. GiTS has far better directing, allowing its visuals to explore themes far better than Jin-Roh's attempts.

Her internal struggle was pretty much the whole point of the movie.

>ruined
How exactly? Why does a franchise always need to stick to its roots?

And it's poorly expressed and portrayed. Which scenes was she struggling in?

A lot of her struggles were presented subtly and visually. Like in her early dialogue with Togusa, and in showing the reflected shot of the Major looking at the interrogation, and of the entire boat scene.

Because Patlabor's roots were the only thing that made it distinct. Stripping it of its levity reduced it to just being a cop show with some mechs. Not nearly as interesting.

I disagree. And regardless, it's still the flattest her character has ever been.

Jin-Roh has more good animation than GiTS.

Is it really fair to compare two seasons worth of development to a movie?

I would say that GiTS had more impressive art and design while Jin-Roh had more impressive animation.

I think so in this case. In GiTS '95 the major not having character was sort of the point. It's what best serves the theme. She's in a grey area between man and machine, and she's debating whether her humanity still has value. Making her more lifeless helps to express that, and effectively supports the theme, but also makes her less engaging on screen.

I guess that's exactly what was engaging to me. So we're on the same page, just feel differently. Fair enough.

I think the Patlabor world is great for exploring the themes in Movie 2. The impact of its themes, on Japan's ignorance of the war outside of them, is enhanced by the fun, carefree nature of the usual Patlabor fare, creating a shift in tone exactly as the main villain would want it.

The shift in tone is what causes a problem for me. I remember hating this about the original OVA series. The mad scientist episode was just about the funniest thing I'd ever seen, and then the last two-parter was just drudgery. Also, I think that whenever Patlabor gets anywhere near "saving the world" territory it's at its weakest. Patlabor was great because it was about beat cops doing dirty jobs and being unappreciated. Once they're national heroes it loses a lot of charm.

>So we're on the same page, just feel differently.
Probably. Character is just the most important thing to me by a lot, which I think just comes down to my personal taste. Obviously your taste is different.

JinRoh would had been better if it had more fight scenes in that fancy power armor and dropped the whole red riding hood shit.

Over all I enjoyed it, but Ghost is way better.

I never watched GITS until recently and i was blown away by how quick it went by, watching it felt like it took 30 minutes because i was so invested.
I like Jin-Roh but Ghost in The Shell is a mustard piece

Ghost in the shell.

It's also my favorite anime. So really no competition.

This. The more refined your taste gets the more you feel this way. Thematic depth is what keeps a work relevant and impressive. The bland characters, plot and nothing noteworthy being done thematically is what got jinroh obscure and now it's only praised by hipsters with sophomoric ideas of what makes fiction impressive.

One is a fully realized kino and the other is a kid's cartoon.

Not really a mystery of what kind of person prefers which.

Gits
i didnt really understand jinroh.

that fucking cast though

Sup Forums pls

edited
>2
>better than Oshii's everything else

>appreciating lesser works like a pleb
Disgusting.

Jin-Roh had partially belt fed machineguns

I still can't wrap my head around why you'd ever think that's a good idea.

It's a solid system, in case of a loading failure, he only has to switch a short belt instead of the whole thing

Because the MG42 was belt-fed and few weapons scream 'NAZI' as loud.

While that may be true, that's more of a precaution against a very rare occurrence and it gives up one of the main strengths of belt fed MGs, which is they have to reload rarely.

Also if you had a jam, couldn't you just put in a further section of the belt instead of switching out the belt entirely?

Personally, I BABEL
BABEL
BABEL
BABEL

Akira is pure anime kino

My problem with ghost in the shell generally is that it's still stuck in a pre-internet "cyberspace" interpretation of the internet, and that saps away all the plausibility that it goes through so much trouble to build up.

Bullshit.

GiTS was as big a deal as it was for purely superficial reasons. Strikingly unique and impressive visuals, a fantastically distinct score, a hugely intriguing world, and a healthy dose of mindfuck. Tons of people who watch GiTS don't understand anything they're seeing, to say nothing of the theme, but are still blown away by it. THAT is why it's so revered.

Jin-Roh is less novel. It's not in some lushly detailed futuristic dystopia. Its visuals are flawless, but they're more mundane. Its story is perfect, but it's not as bold.

I prefer Jin-Ruh-Roh.

>GiTS was as big a deal as it was for purely superficial reasons
Even if your are right and most people don't get it, that still doesn't take away from GitS's merits.

But who am I to keep you from deluding yourself if that makes it easier for you to reconcile the preferences you have for fictional works.

I certainly don't intend to take away from its merits, GiTS '95's accomplishments were staggering. I just don't think that it's mostly remembered for its exploration of its themes.

That is, even if it really should be.

Jin-Roh is pretty fucking good but GitS is GOAT.

Literally worst anime posted ITT other than Patlabor 2

>Jin-Roh should have become generic anime action film #44653

It's more a classic cyberpunk vision of the future of the internet. SAC first aired in 2003 and kept it as a stylistic decision.