Tell me again why you don't like electric cars

"Because liberals think they are a good idea" isn't a good reason. That's gradeschool logic.

Sand people think electric cars are a very, very bad idea because it'll bankrupt every OPEC country including Saudi Arabia, which supplies the funding for the propagation of Wahabism/Salafism around the world (and buys weapons for various terrorist groups).

That's reason enough for me to drive electric. Would you like to know more?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b-SYq8H4xnI
youtube.com/watch?v=WypZvsIj8-k
youtube.com/watch?v=ARzujfRiQ3c
web.mit.edu/evt/summary_wtw.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rvQ9DjJNal0
triplepundit.com/2011/06/full-life-cycle-assesment-electric-cars-compares-co2-impact-conventional-cars/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiency#Diesel_engines
youtube.com/watch?v=BGr_6zhLh9M
greencarreports.com/news/1091436_toyota-gasoline-engine-achieves-thermal-efficiency-of-38-percent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how about you drive a faggot electric car which will cause the price of oil (and therefor petrol) to drop and I'll keep driving a real car

protip the oil wells are refilling so it's a completely renewable resource

They aren't a good solution to the environment question from a conservation standpoint
The waste the batteries produce will wreck us unless some way to dispose of them safely is developed.

My fucking ride better have comped sushi faggot

>protip the oil wells are refilling so it's a completely renewable resource

If you want to wait millions of years, sure.

>The waste the batteries produce will wreck us unless some way to dispose of them safely is developed.

You are thinking of lead and nickel batteries. Lead and nickel are toxic heavy metals. Lithium batteries are close to non-toxic. Some types, like LiFePO4, are totally non-toxic. They are also some of the most recycled items in the world.

Do you believe making gasoline causes no pollution? Are gas cars perfect? Do you believe they pollute less, overall, than electrics? If so, MIT disputes that.

When my government has openly stated they will force us to use electric cars, and actually banned the sale of petrol cars in 22 years time, im deeply sceptical that its for the sole interest of the ordinary citizen, and wont fuck us over in some horrible way, like having a constant GPS tracker and being asked to explain where we are going if the journey goes above 50 miles. You know, kinda what like China does now.

Its all about control. Germany and France have already banned the use of cash money. We can now use a finger print to pay for goods. If you think the whole electric car scheme wont jew us over in the most extreme way then your a useful idiot, and you can shove your thread up your arse.

>If you want to wait millions of years, sure.
not my problem nerd

>its for the sole interest of the ordinary citizen,

It isn't. It benefits the government as well and a lot of other interests. Not for sinister reasons, but to do with stuff like load leveling.

>like having a constant GPS tracker

Do you carry a smartphone? Have you heard of OnStar, which is in many gas cars?

>You know, kinda what like China does now.

Do they? I'd be interested to read about that if you have a link.

>If you think the whole electric car scheme wont jew us over in the most extreme way then your a useful idiot, and you can shove your thread up your arse.

I think you can build your own electric car at home, you can power it using electricity you made at home with solar panels, and if that's Jewish to you then the word has no meaning

Oil slaves all die without knowing what nature once was

One thing I like about electric cars is they are quiet.
No more abos sniffing petrol either if we swap over

That's actually because of noise canceling foam. They have their own distinct motor noise normally. It's not totally silent, just quieter than gas. Personally I like it, it's futuristic and you can hear more nuance in it which tells you more about the load on the motor, whether it's overheating, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=b-SYq8H4xnI

About half of that is chain noise but you can also hear the sweet, sweet howl of the motor sucking down that fat current.

Most consumers are like you, they want a silent car, but I appreciate the unique sound of a screaming electric motor being pushed hard.

Nobody will make an electric car for me :/

Better idea of the noise, with less chain sound:

youtube.com/watch?v=WypZvsIj8-k

>but muh pollution from coal plants
Go nuclear and fusion once it's viable ya dummy.

I drove a regular car over 2000 miles in two days. Electric cars can't match that at useful weights.

They are good for most people. Maybe not some rural goys but that is a minority.

>Fusion

Why wait for that to become viable when thorium exists today? Even just next gen uranium reactors would be fine, France has a perfect record running a mostly nuclear powered grid. They weren't retards like the Japs who built theirs on a fault.

Volt can. The new one does ~50 miles on electric, then switches over to gas. You can do 90% of your trips without using a drop of gasoline, but still burn gas when you need to make long trips. No compromises.

Whoever is the first to make a fuckoff huge electric truck with a 100kwh battery for less than $50,000 is going to be a very rich man

The real question is how quickly self-driving cars will be declared racist when they're discovered to be avoiding black areas.

Electric cars take 45+ minutes and an active power grid to refuel while a petrol car takes 3 minutes to refuel and leave the station as well as functioning in the event of a blackout.

Or hit black people jaywalking a night because the cameras can't make them out

If I can go 200 or more miles on a charge, the fact that it takes 45 minutes isn't a problem because I am gonna need that much time to recover from driving for that long.

Plug in, take a shit, buy a soda, browse videos or whatever on your phone, car is done charging.

Did you know C02 is recyclable?

If you have a nuclear reactor, sure. But there's no point to making more liquid hydrocarbon fuel that way when you can skip a step and just power electric cars directly from the nuke.

I suspect most people are turned off because of a combination of the cost, charge time, range, etc. They are still a very good idea and will only gain more acceptance with time.

How do you think they mine the precious metals for the battery? Heavy diesel machinery.

No, I mean trees eating that shit up and turning it into Oxygen

They should check Craigslist. I got my Volt for $8,950. It had only 4,221 miles on it.

Used electrics are going for cheap right now because of low consumer confidence in the longevity of lithium batteries.

This is despite the fact that the first gen of Leafs and Volts are still holding their original charge (except Leafs used in very hot weather because they don't have liquid cooling)

But what consumers believe drives the market. So you can get a used $40,000 dollar vehicle that's a few years old for $9,000 or less

>faggot electric car
Teslas are nothing to scoff at.
youtube.com/watch?v=ARzujfRiQ3c

How do you think oil is extracted? How do you think it's transported to shore? How is it refined?

Nobody said electric is perfect, just better than gas in terms of overall emissions.

The model 3 is pure sex. Why would anybody buy a Bolt when the Model 3 exists and is about the same price?

So you are buying it because of """global warming"""????

Paramotors are the future. Buy paramotor stock asap; thank me later.
youtube.com/watch?v=rvQ9DjJNal0

That's one reason. But you don't need to believe that's real for it to be a good idea.

Other reasons include:

-When gas prices go up, you have the power to choose not to buy any, but still can commute to work.
-Using energy made in America rather than gas from countries that want to kill us
-Energy independence for your own household if you have solar panels
-6 times higher efficiency than combustion engines
-Way less moving parts, so almost no maintenance except stuff like wiper fluid

>Tell me again why you don't like electric cars
Still powered by fossil fuels
Still destructive to the environment.
Driven by fags.

>Still powered by fossil fuels

Only partly, which makes them automatically cleaner than cars that run 100% on fossil fuels, even before you factor in the 6x efficiency advantage of electric motors over ICE

>That's one reason. But you don't need to believe that's real for it to be a good idea.
There is no reason to buy it if I do not believe in Global Warming. It is worse for the environment than driving a diesel car for five years.
>-When gas prices go up, you have the power to choose not to buy any, but still can commute to work.
If you can afford a Tesla, you can afford gas.
>-Using energy made in America rather than gas from countries that want to kill us
Gas is still used in production, not cutting out Arabs.
>-Energy independence for your own household if you have solar panels
Again, I can afford to pay my bills.
-6 times higher efficiency than combustion engines
-Way less moving parts, so almost no maintenance except stuff like wiper fluid

>It is worse for the environment than driving a diesel car for five years.

No it isn't. You got that belief from Bjorn Lomborg's study comparing the lifetime emissions of a prius and a humvee which has been discredited by multiple independent analysis.

>If you can afford a Tesla, you can afford gas.

Tesla is not the only electric car, and there now exist 200 mile range EVs that cost the same as equivalent new gas cars in their class.

>Gas is still used in production, not cutting out Arabs.

Vastly less however.

>Again, I can afford to pay my bills.

Why would you choose to pay more than you need to? You could get Solar City panels for free, then pay for the power they make at a lower rate per kw than your utility charges.

theres not enough lithium on earth for electric cars
natural gas is superior

>Tesla is not the only electric car, and there now exist 200 mile range EVs that cost the same as equivalent new gas cars in their class.
Yeah, 70,000 cars.
>Why would you choose to pay more than you need to? You could get Solar City panels for free, then pay for the power they make at a lower rate per kw than your utility charges.
Because it rains every fucking day where I live and we got hit by a hurricane
This.

Electric cars are shit in summer and winter, cant really use aircondition if you want to get somewhere.
HHO - hydrogen is the real game changer.
Why don't we pump it instead of gasoline/gas? Yeah, thx greatest allies and their saudi friends..

Now watch shills go full retard.

So we use other materials. There's more kinds of batteries than just lithium and many of the superior replacements in the pipeline use very common materials. Sodium glass batteries are a good example.

HHO requires lots of electricity to make. It's basically electric power.

>Yeah, 70,000 cars.

No, the Bolt and Model 3 cost $3,750 or thereabouts before subsidy. Also used cars exist. A used electric goes for around $9,000.

>Because it rains every fucking day where I live and we got hit by a hurricane

Many electric cars allow you to power your house off their battery for 3 days in an emergency

>pump hydrogen
even natural gas requires liquefaction or compression at 300+BAR. Hydrogen is not viable.
No we don't use other materials. There is no viable alternative to lithium for batteries presently and there isn't one in the pipeline despite decades of intense research (Every single highly cited article in advanced materials (the premier journal on materials sciences) is based on battery technology). No fruits to those labors though.

Sodium glass is not viable. There is no slated viable alternative to lithium batteries in the next 30 years. Feel free to argue against me on this but bear in mind my phD is in semiconductor chemistry

>Electric cars are shit in summer and winter

Only if they don't have thermal management. This is a problem for the Leaf or iMiev but not for the Bolt or Model 3.

>HHO - hydrogen is the real game changer.

Using electricity to make hydrogen, which is then combined with oxygen to make electricity is just inserting additional lossy conversion steps in what amounts to an unnecessarily complicated electric car. You did know fuel cell cars still have battery packs to buffer the fuel cell output, right?

>No we don't use other materials

Yes we do.

>There is no viable alternative to lithium for batteries presently

Yes there is. Hell even some of the 1990s Rav4EVs using Ovionic NIMHs are still driving around.

>No fruits to those labors though.

Not true. NiZN, low self discharge NiMH, and various exotic variants on lithium are recent developments.

I grant you battery development is slow, so if you're a child and have not seen several advances occur in your life it will seem like they never happen.

>Sodium glass is not viable.

Yes it is.

>There is no slated viable alternative to lithium batteries in the next 30 years

Wrong.

>Feel free to argue against me on this but bear in mind my phD is in semiconductor chemistry

Same goes for the people making those batteries though.

Also NiMH already exists and is sufficient for EV usage

Here's the real pipeline for next-gen energy
>Within 15 years; Duration: 60 years
Natural gas at "near"-atmospheric pressures (Within 60 years: Duration 200 years
The fusion/thorium meme becomes real. We find a way of alchemising hydrocarbons or store hydrogen safely by some magic
>Within 150 years: Duration ±±±
Wireless energy transfer from fusion power plants

Energy levels is shit. Thermal runaway. etc. etc. Not viable.

What's this a picture of then

>If I can go 200 or more miles on a charge, the fact that it takes 45 minutes isn't a problem because I am gonna need that much time to recover from driving for that long.
>200 miles
>Recover

You are a little bitch.

Let me guess, trucker

Batteries are, and always will be, a meme. Deal with it, accept it, move on. Its a fundamental law of physics we will never break.
A shitty vehicle with inefficient batteries instead of just using perfectly abundant natural gas stored in a semi-crystaline porous material at 30bar.

God has blessed my captcha for proof

>A shitty vehicle with inefficient batteries

An EV is 6 times more efficient than a gas vehicle. You're using the word efficiency in place of energy density because you don't know any better.

But the efficiency advantage makes the energy density gap shrink by a lot. This is how the Tesla Model S can go 270 miles, something which according to you should be impossible.

>Natural gas at "near"-atmospheric pressures (

takes more buckets of oil to make and charge shitty electric cars than gas cars use in the entirety of their existence

No it doesn't

>tfw used to be an offshore oilfag
>industry tanks
>realize this downturn is here to stay
>work at a cancerous company that didn't handle the downturn very well
>everyone is backstabbing and being tremendous cunts trying to protect their job
>tell them all to go fuck themselves
>switch over automation/controls because I'm still young and can make industry changes easier
>most of the backstabbers at the company do not have transferable skills outside of a niche industry that is essentially dead
>see OP's article
>it's the final nail in offshore's coffin
Heheh, let it die. Nothin' personal, kid.

Where's the electricity to power them come from?
The battery pack from an EV has 80x more batteries than the average car now. They require a lot of resources to be made, and production is harmful to the environment.
Planned obsolescence means these battery packs need replacing every 5 years, using more resources.
A petrol car lasting decades causes less damage to the environment than an EV, because it requires less manufacturing.

If you want to profit from all this, make an electric pickup truck with a 100kwh battery for under $50k. There's a fuckload of buyers for that who won't look at any other electric car.

Yes. Compared to the current 300bar required for CNS its quite good. Its the current DOE limit required for huge funds translational funding and thus a very important benchmark. Denigrating the 30bar goal of natural gas storage shows you don't know what you're talking about though. Learn the science or shut the fuck up about the topic.
no. im using the word efficiency very correctly. its a shitty inefficient vehicle because it cannot be scaled industrially without massive overhead costs and absurd devouring of rare materials. it is inefficient.
>you don't know any better
post your phd mate. or shut the fuck up

No, my family lives 350 miles away and I drive there almost every month.

>replace gasoline with electricity generated by burning coal
>making millions of batteries that are just as hard to dispose of as nuclear waste
good job you saved the environment

Solar panels on your roof ideally. If not, from a grid which is only partly fossil fuels, which is automatically cleaner than a car that runs on 100% fossil fuels even before the 6x efficiency advantage of electric motors is factored in:

>Planned obsolescence means these battery packs need replacing every 5 years, using more resources.

I have a 6 year old Volt. It still gets 28 miles to a charge, originally 30.

>A petrol car lasting decades causes less damage to the environment than an EV, because it requires less manufacturing.

Nope: triplepundit.com/2011/06/full-life-cycle-assesment-electric-cars-compares-co2-impact-conventional-cars/

Bjorn Lomborg told you all that, but he lied.

>something which according to you should be impossible.
no where did i ever say its not possible to shove enough lithium batteries into a vehicle to turn it into a combination bomb and long distance traveling device.

this doesn't mean its not fucking retarded, inefficient, and non-translatable to wide spread usage.

fucking tesla shills are such subumans. stop sucking that snakeoil salesman's dick you plebbit faggots

You can't go very far, they are much more expensive to operate, and the batteries need to be replaced after a short time.

I would get one if they didn't suck, but they do.

The new Volt goes 50 miles on a charge, then switches over to gas when the battery runs out. You could do 90% of your trips without burning any gas but still be able to do long trips without compromise.

The older Volts do ~30 miles per charge and go for around 9k used

The used market exists, and range is not a concern if you have a gas range extender. Or buy one of the new 200+ mile range EVs.

How about you stop trying to mince words. 1 Bar is atmospheric pressure. So how can anything above 1 bar be near atmospheric pressure? 2 Bar is 100% above atmospheric pressure.

I would have no problem if you called them "low pressure" natural gas systems. But when you try to say they are "near" atmospheric pressure and then call a system that is 30X atmospheric pressure "near" atmospheric pressure it sounds like total horse shit.

Combustion engines work at about 35% efficiency these days. How the fuck are EV's 6 times more efficient than that?

>Solar panels on your roof ideally.
You are aware of all the shit that stops solar panels from working exists at 1000x higher levels on a road?

You are aware that the energy gain /// weight conversion of having solar panels on your car will be negligible

You are aware a solar panel on your roof is a magnet for theft

Fuck this is so retarded im done. Fuck this Elon musk plebbit shills im getting mad

>vvvvvVVVVVVVVoooooOOOOOOOOP

>inefficient

Electric motors are 6 times more efficient than ICE.

>a combination bomb

Gas is also explosive. Any time you contain a lot of energy in a small space, it can potentially explode.

>fucking tesla shills are such subumans. stop sucking that snakeoil salesman's dick you plebbit faggots

Not an argument. You can't fight the future.

Electric cars are a great idea. Show me a decent battery first.

It's the term used by DOE agencies mate. It's not mincing words. it's the literal SCIENTIFIC fucking definition. God damn shut the fuck up

Man, I really hope oil goes to 10 permanently. I would fucking love to watch that. The rich Arab countries would collapse.

Gasoline doesn't just for fun engage in thermal runaway. Lithium does though

>Combustion engines work at about 35% efficiency these days.

No they don't. The absolute, very best diesel engines manage 25%. The number you quote is for either very large engines with waste heat recapture or was achieved under lab conditions, prove me wrong.

>How the fuck are EV's 6 times more efficient than that?

Electric motors are around 90 to 95% efficient, believe it or not.

I meant the roof of your house, not on the car.

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but what would be the ideal homestead battery type if someone wanted something to last in a remote location. Assume size is no issue.

>electric cars are totally practical if you are still willing to own a 2nd gas car to do the shit an electric car sucks at

Sounds totally reasonable for the average person trying to pay their mortgage, support kids, and possibly pay off their student debt.

T. Tesla shillfag

Go fuck yourself, electric kike.

I have seen gas powered cars explode. Lithium batteries do not explode. They burn, and solid state batteries with no liquid electrolyte don't even do that.

Show me an electric car that can do at least 400 miles per charge like mine can get on a full tank, and that doesn't look like a robotic cockroach or rival my mortgage in cost and I'll consider it.

>electricity doesn't generate heat
a diesel generator and an underground fuel tank. no battery will ever last. all batteries fail.
>Lithium batteries do not explode
hahahhahahahahaah fuck this gay thread

Have you heard of the Volt? How much do you know about how it works? I bought my Volt for $8,950. I don't need a second gas car, the Volt has a gas generator in it for long trips.

>No they don't. The absolute, very best diesel engines manage 25%.
No. Where are you pulling this from. The most efficient diesel engines are a tad over 50%.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiency#Diesel_engines

Get a used Volt. That's what I did. I can do all my short trips on battery but still have the option to burn gas for long journeys. See

It's Natural gas shills trying to make the cars seem less like rolling bombs. IU'm sure they will be safe when they are 20 years old and shit is fatigued/rusted.

youtube.com/watch?v=BGr_6zhLh9M

The fact that i think you are a little bitch have nothing to do with electric cars, in fact I'd probably buy one of those if they ever become affordable.

>The most efficient diesel engines are a tad over 50%.

Those are not automotive engines. They are the kind used in power plants. They achieve that efficiency by recapturing waste heat, which is impractical on an automotive scale.

Even if that weren't the case, 50% still loses big time to 95%. You're also ignoring that the vast majority of gas cars on the road get nowhere near the figure you quoted.

9k isn't affordable?

I'm a natural gas shill and I completely agree that CNS is right now not viable. In the next 10-20 years we will be able to store it at

Lithium batteries don't explode retard. They burn.

You are really going to get technical on pressure terminology but totally ignore what the literal definition of an explosion is? Hypocrite much?

ahahaha you are fucking weak minded

I'm going to get technical on both. Thermal runaway is an explosion.

I have a human bladder

What do you call an exothermic reaction with volatile materials in confined chamber...... . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
. .. .
. ..

If it takes you 45 minutes to piss go to a doctor mate

>They achieve that efficiency by recapturing waste heat

I remember reading an article like 10 years ago about a BMW prototype that used the exhaust heat to spin a steam turbine. Was probably too heavy and expensive to be practical. But it was still cool to imagine all that waste heat being used for something.

Ok so I was wrong about the exact efficiency as it's closer to 25% but still not possible to be 6x as efficient as even 20%. You're also ignoring energy loss between power sources and car batteries. As you point out here EV's lose efficiency at the point of energy conversion as well

greencarreports.com/news/1091436_toyota-gasoline-engine-achieves-thermal-efficiency-of-38-percent