Decide to rewatch Texhnolyze

>decide to rewatch Texhnolyze
>marathon the entire series in two evenings
It still hits hard on the second viewing. As much as I love this show I also hate that it's going to completely ruin my mood for the next day and a half.

Does anyone know, or know where to find out, if this show actually made money for the producers when it aired - as in, did they make this and assume that it would pay for itself strictly from DVD sales? I can't imagine this show ever capturing an audience with weekly TV airings - it's just too slow at the beginning and gets too complicated later on.

Other urls found in this thread:

someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Same two weeks ago...
Rewatched 11 eps...still need to see the other 11

BTW Yoshi did nothing wrong

How else would it pay for itself? It's not like it had a lot of merch.

Look at current airing anime and then tell me if anime like this makes money

To back that up, this is from an interview with ABe and Ueda about the show.

Should I watch this?

same. i was going to watch this or ergo proxy

Ergo proxy gets real tiresome towards the end, I never managed to finish it

>Does anyone know, or know where to find out, if this show actually made money for the producers when it aired - as in, did they make this and assume that it would pay for itself strictly from DVD sales? I can't imagine this show ever capturing an audience with weekly TV airings - it's just too slow at the beginning and gets too complicated later on.

Texhnolyze actually charted decently high in its season--pretty surprised at Kino's under-performance here.

Then again, nothing really sold that season so almost hitting 2k wasn't exactly much of a feat. It definitely sold the least out of all the ABe anime but the fact that it was even able to chart is pretty impressive.

It's crazy to me that Ueda would pitch something this ambitious to Maruyama and he just said "yeah sure let's go for it" while basically giving complete freedom to Ueda, Hamasaki, and Konaka. Though he's always been open to risky ambitious anime-original projects Texhnolyze might as well have been the ballsiest thing to produce.

Essentially the same staff that made Texhnolyze was previously responsible for Lain and Haibane Renmei, which should tell you something about what to expect. But the tone is much darker than those two. Pic related is often posted when people talk about this series - and it's fairly accurate.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising something like this got made at all.

Also, why is Aoi Bungaku on that list? That's from 2009 unless there's another series I (and google) don't know about.

Actually, now that I've cross-referenced this site with somethinganithing it seems like the numbers are completely off. I guess the inaccuracy explains why Aoi Bungaku is on there too, the fuck.

someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

Looks like Texhnolyze only managed 1,071 DVDs while Kino sold 2,355.

RIP Hamasaki shows except for Steins;Gate I guess.

im going to watch this anime. I have free time before I move. Been pondering it for awhile Sup Forums makes me want to see now thanks brehs

i loved Lain a lot. i'll defiantly watch this one later especially if it's as dark as you say it is.

If you all want a show similar in atmosphere to Lain or Texhnolyze you should watch Boogiepop Phantom

i have watched that one already 2/3s the way through. i really enjoyed it, but i just never got around to finishing it.

Not that user but it's probably one of the most pessimistic anime ever made, but I don't think calling it nihilistic (which a lot of people continue to do) is fair either.

Something I found interesting and have brought up before in similar threads is Ueda's intentions when conceptualizing both shows.

He was pretty clear about wanting lain to be controversial, and something that Japanese and Western audiences would react to differently so there could be some form of cultural discourse. He ultimately ended up disappointed about interpretations of the show being quite similar overall.

There's less well-documented stuff on his words for Texhnolyze, and his opinion seemed to have changed with the post-series interview included in the DVD (so all we get are some goddamn non-committal answers about things changing inside him), but there was a Newtype issue where he was hoping that Western audiences could get the "admittedly very Japanese" sensibilities of the show.

It's an interesting shift over the years, especially since both ABe, Ueda, and Konaka considered Texhnolyze to be their five-year anniversary of working together, which kinda makes Texhnolyze lain's estranged little brother or something.

>Ergoproxy tiring compared to Texhnolyze

dude fucking what

I've watched ergo proxy 5 times now and getting through texhnolyze is god damn work

Meanwhile Hamasaki animates cute frogs in 2016.

And ABe is making Kancolle doujins

>It's crazy to me that Ueda would pitch something this ambitious to Maruyama and he just said "yeah sure let's go for it" while basically giving complete freedom to Ueda, Hamasaki, and Konaka.
That motherfucking legend bankrupted Madhouse because he wanted to make good anime that weren't just moeshit or cheap adaptation. Not that surprising. Then he breaks off from Madhouse and goes on to form MAPAA to fund Watanabe's dream project. Industry needs more men like him.

I heard that Konaka went back to writing for a long while, and eventually took up a gig as a lecturer for screenplay writing at a university. I know the fucker's announced his "return" to the anime industry with Shishou Series but we know fuck-all about that either and it's been a long time since that was announced.

Ueda's been languishing as a neutered producer. The last thing he had a hand in was Shingeki no Bahamut. I guess it's nice that he got to work alongside Maruyama again at least (presumably), but I wonder if (Despera aside) he'll ever be able to exert such immense creative influence over projects ever again.

Watched it a week ago

I liked it since it got slow and unforgettable anime but that fucking ending pissed me off because of the girl's last moments

>RIP Hamasaki shows except for Steins;Gate I guess.
Orange should make decent money right? How popular is the Manga?

And teaching his son how to come up with cute girls for the enjoyment of future generations.

I don't think the orange anime is selling well at all but I know the manga is extremely popular and just came off the heels of a successful live-action film adaptation.

So even if the BD sales aren't high for the anime it'll still do good hopefully. I'm not sure how well the manga has sold overall, but it seems to be very well-loved.

>Essentially the same staff that made Texhnolyze was previously responsible for Lain and Haibane Renmei, which should tell you something about what to expect. But the tone is much darker than those two.
Not really. Lain and Haibane are masterpieces while Texhnolyze is a piece of crap.

Do not commit suicide kids.

Texhnolyze is a piece of art. Name a better show that explores the themes of nihilism, hopelessness, despair and human suffering better than this.

>Essentially the same staff that made Texhnolyze was previously responsible for Lain and Haibane Renmei
How much of that original staff worked on this? I only know ABe did the character designs.

1) read some literatures you weeb shit,
2) watch some movies you weeb shit,
3) all these themes were presented poorly, so poorly it actually hurts

Texhnoshit is a pseudo-intellectual "DEEP" show for edgy teens and nothing more.

cuck

dick

Dropped on episode 10

When does it start getting good? or do I just have shit taste

not memeing, genuinely curious

The last 5 episodes were tolerable. Watch only those.

>1) read some literatures you weeb shit,
>2) watch some movies you weeb shit,
Where do you think you are user?
>3) all these themes were presented poorly, so poorly it actually hurts
Not real criticism and you still haven't named an anime that does these themes better. Alright name movies that properly explore these themes.

Depends. If your problem is slow burn then probably not. The gang War aspect is the most fast paced/action packed thing until the final arcs.

>Everyone literally dies at the end
I can't think of a more brutally depressing anime than this. There was no hope at all in this show, and that's why I liked it.

>hopelessness, despair and human suffering
PunPun, Once Again and Kurosawa manga are all rapestomp Texhnolyze in that territory without using forced bullshit elements and pretentiousness.

>nihilism
You don't have a single fucking clue what this word does mean, right?

Episodes 7-8.

>weeb shit
I bet 10 bucks it's a /lit/ user wanting to sound smarter than that other user

>implying texhnoshit eaters are not doing (trying to do but fail miserably) the same when it comes to anime only

Apart from ABe like you've mentioned, Ueda and Konaka are basically the only recurring "main staff" from lain to Texhnolyze.

Tomokazu Tokoro (Haibane/NieA's director) did however storyboard the ninth episode of Texhnolyze. I didn't notice that until now for some reason.

Triangle Staff (ACGT by that point) and Ryutaro Nakamura were working on Kino at the same time so I don't think there was any overlap of episode directors or storyboarders either. I think Kino and Texhnolyze had the same sound/audio directors though.

Now that I think of it, maybe that was the reason for Texhnolyze not being directed by Nakamura, they were basically competing in the same season. Either that or Nakamura was too intent on adapting Kino or he was too integral to ACGT's functioning to go to Madhouse for a brief stint or something.

>I've watched ergo proxy 5 times now
That's just a clear-cut case of shit taste. Ergo Proxy's pretentious nonsense that teases a lot and never says much, while Texhnolyze actually delivers.

>while Texhnolyze actually delivers.
My sides. MY SIDES.

I doubt it, considering he said "literatures" and made some shitty list construction with only commas for punctuation and no capitalization.

>You don't have a single fucking clue what this word does mean, right?
I don't think you do.
>manga
>literature
Kek. At least you didn't mention Lars Von Tryhard when I asked about the movies.
>forced bullshit elements and pretentiousness
Meme words that have no meaning without the context behind it.

I think they went back to Sup Forums, you should follow them.

>moeshit

>I don't think you do.
I do. You don't. This has been confirmed with this post of yours.
>Meme words that have no meaning without the context behind it.
Holy shit, who wrote something like
>Name a better show that explores the themes of nihilism, hopelessness, despair and human suffering better than this.
This was a solid and based criticism, sure as hell.

>Once Again
What?

I know your trolling, but even you should have trouble putting "RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE RAISON D'ETRE" in the same ballpark as Tex/Lain/Haibane

>I do. You don't. This has been confirmed with this post of yours.
Enlighten me senpai. By the way how do you plan on spending all these (You)s?

Wait. I've never said Ergo Proxy is not a crapfest. But it's surely not inferior to Texhnolyze.

> But it's surely not inferior to Texhnolyze.
It absolutely is. It's a bunch of ridiculous babble and posturing to no real end.

>another texhnoylze thread derailed by poor bait
shame

How do you like it, lads?

Such weak and dumb bait (movies, seriously?). You got to try better in a Texhnbolyze thread.

Yea nothing can be as smart and cool as Texhnolyze. :)

>can't discuss this show because those who don't like it feel intellectually inferior and have to compensate by shitposting it

>all this shitflinging and derailing
Well, I hope somebody found my rambling useful or interesting ;_;

Texhnolyze is the animu for the choosen ones. Only they can undertsand its deep, intelligent themes.

>Texhnolyze is the animu for the choosen ones.
I never said that. Just that the shitposters really seem to feel inferior somehow. Why else would they jump on these threads every time?

>Why else would they jump on these threads every time?
Are you new? Literally every anime gets bashed here some way or another.

>That motherfucking legend bankrupted Madhouse
He didn't, stop spouting shit.

I think its dope enough that youre doing it a disservice framing it with those shitty plastic scroll-ends

Reminder: you don't have to respond to blatant troll posts.

Anyways, I rewatch texhnolyze every now and then. While I can see how the whole "everyone dies" thing can be a downer for some, I find way the characters struggle to live in the show to be equally inspiring and uplifting.

>>marathon the entire series in two evenings
I did that on my first viewing, because I am an asshole. Should probably give it a rewatch, but it's not like my backlog is small or anything.

And turn up the volume, the music is amazing.

These guys. These guys are real man. They did that fucking masterpiece not for money, not for fame, but for their own passion. And NOTHING from the current shit anime era will ever be better than Texhnolyze.

>that 22nd episode though seriously.

>While I can see how the whole "everyone dies" thing can be a downer for some, I find way the characters struggle to live in the show to be equally inspiring and uplifting.
I'm in my edgy pessimistic phase of life and I liked that they all died. Their struggle for living far outweighed their reasons to struggle considering the setting and circumstances. And that last scene where Ichise is looking at the fading hologram of Ran and slowing fading out was the most relaxing feeling I had watching that show.

> And NOTHING from the current shit anime era will ever be better than Texhnolyze
Yeah, they don't make real anime anymore, it's all bug-eyed moeshit!
Texhnolyze is good and all, but kill yourself, nostalgiafag.

>MEEEEEHHHH~ RAPESTOMP! PRETENTIOUS! I KNOW WORDS!

Ha, what fucking faggot. Why don't you elaborate?

You buttmad Texhnolyze fanboi?

Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze are nothing alike, other than both being dystopian science fiction.

BD when?

The Orange anime is mediocre tripe. And it's not exactly the commercially successful kind of mediocre tripe. It's tepid all around.