Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1627

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
dekinai.neocities.org/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18581792
bunpou.neocities.org/favicon.ico
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QNAucfhVViWzIQgPwRvFFsb0dUlfhenhG8ie7-6dwE0/pubhtml?widget=true&headers=false&chrome=false
youtube.com/watch?v=uzmt5Dju67w
twitter.com/teuga_bot
youtube.com/watch?v=dwOiWPnb-SE
homepage2.nifty.com/aleksey/LIBRA/kasai_nasu.html
youtube.com/watch?v=P49FraVNS_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=uJSGt16r8MM
youtube.com/watch?v=9xWa7BBHvvI
youtube.com/watch?v=WCM69omIEpQ
a.uguu.se/prUB2bntxNVq_1468673673189.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't forget to do your reps!

How do I fix this?
Both ITH and AGTH do the same thing. Flyable Heart works fine.

You've tried some of the other memory locations right? In the drop down selection on the top

Learn Japanese.

Yup. It shows the same thing.

turn on furigana

Did you try changing the text speed?

Search for game name + h-code.

Is there an option for that? I can't find it.

Yup. Even fucked around with the fonts. Didn't work.

I'll try this next.

What is the Japanese equivalent of the name John Smith or John Doe?

まるまるさん

田中something

That did it, thanks.

Yamada

ジョンスミス
ジョンドー

I-I don't think that's what he wanted to know, user-san.

中田氏。

No wonder the japs are this perverted.

山田太郎

Today I did anki for 0 minutes and then read a VN for 0 hours and 0 minutes.

t. sub-human

Can you please stop trying to force memes with every post

Should've read Anki for 0 minutes.

This isn't a shitpost.

I've been 'learning' japanese for an entire year now. In fact, today marks the 1st anniversary since I started.
I tried almost everything. I read Tae Kim at first. After I finished, I tried learning extra vocabulary. Then I tried learning the radicals. When I found out it wasn't working, I attempted core2k. Lack of motivation caused me to quit core2k after a few weeks. Then I tried listening to Japanese songs. I read Yotsubato!, I tried watching dramas, anime, fucking everything but Genki because you guys told me to stay away from it.

Yesterday I started Genki. I'm on lesson 3 at the moment and I have learned more Japanese vocabulary in a single day than I have been trying to learn in an entire year. You can't make this shit up. /djt/ told me not to try Genki, and when I tried it as a last-ditch effort it was helpful. Genki is actually extremely useful.

This is not a shitpost. Do not make the same mistakes I did. Don't follow set instructions. Do your own thing. You don't have to use Anki if you don't want to. You don't have to try the Core decks to learn Japanese. There are other easier ways out there.

Genki is in the CoR for a reason. Of course it's good.

Whatever works for you.

>started Genki
>learned more Japanese vocabulary

You're doing it wrong

>try to mine word I don't know
>Error, duplicate note!

So what word it is?

>not using epwing2anki

Happens a lot to me too, but it's mostly words I haven't got to learn yet.

Mining speed is just way faster than learning speed.
Be glad, by the time anki will through it at you you'll know it even faster.

囲む
Must be one of my long term mature cards that I forget often.

How the hell could you forget 囲む? That's like forgetting 営む, 勤しむ, 憚る or 秀でる.

I immediately recognized the first two, but haven't even encountered the last 3 yet..

That happens to me all the time, well not where I get a duplicate error, but where I know I've seen it in anki before but had completely forgotten about

Even words that I remember encountering in core I forget because I don't encounter them in so long while reading, happened the other day with 郵便局

You're telling me you didn't encounter 憚る and 秀でる yet? That's like not encountering 悔いる, 戦く or 嘯く yet.

How have you spent the past year were you trying to read Yotsuba that entire time I'm confused

I haven't encountered those either. Are you trying to mock me user? Well to be fair I have only read about 100~ hours of content so far, I'm a beginner

Is this some joke I'm not getting? Those aren't common words.

He might as well throw 10 very uncommon English words at you.

Like Aglet.

I'm only pointing out it's preposterous that you'd not know verbs like that. Next you tell me you don't know the difference between 善い, 佳い, 良い, 好い and 宜い.

No? Next you tell me it's not common to make specific distinctinction between 在る, 有る and 或る in your writing. Or 云う, 謂う and 言う.

I'm going to do my best today, and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

It sure reads like a shitpost.

You can use Genki. You can ignore Anki. You're just going to take 5 times as long to get to your goal.

Anki is the easiest, least time consuming method out there for vocab. If you don't take advantage of it, you're just retarded.

Today I did Anki for 31 minutes and then I read a visual novel for 1 hour and 11 minutes.

>Hover over 在る, 有る and 或る with Rikaisama
>They all have the same definition.
I really need to switch to a J>J dictionary.

These words are so perfectly chosen I am in awe.

Should've done 手うが for 10 minutes instead.

They do all mean the same thing just in different ways

Guys, rikais anki import has stopped working for me. I'm not even getting an error message. What should I do?

流行らねぇよ

在る as in something existing somewhere.
有る as in someone having something (even a quality about them).
或る as in "certain" e.g. 或る日 or as in 或いは.

What do you mean?

>Aglet
I don't think I'll ever forget that word again.

ホットケーキあげる!

Their true purpose is sinister.

How long have you faggots tried to learn Nippon and how good are you?

Shit guys I can't get it back, R and T just don't react even though Anki is open and the settings are as always in rikaisama.

There was one of firefox' "some random script stopped working, what now" prompts and I clicked "continue" and ticked the "dont ask again" box, I think that's where I fucked up. Where can I un-dont ask again it? It's not under Firefox' applications settings or at least I can't find Rikaisama there.

At least a year of fucking around doing not much with grammar guides and kanji and shit
+
Around a year of constant reading and mining

I'm still pretty fucking bad, I'm terrible at remembering vocabulary, although I do have over 10k mined vocab in anki, but my retention is balls, my grasp of grammar isn't as solid as I'd like, and my listening comprehension and production are both pretty much beginner level

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18581792

bunpou.neocities.org/favicon.ico
>出来ない
Nice touch.

Was there a fully OCRd version of DOJG or did you have to write all of it out yourself? Either way this would be really useful if we can make additions and fixes to some parts of it, especially the many wrongly translated example sentences.

Looks good from what I can tell

Not him but a few months ago I tried to OCR all three volumes with ABBYY FineReader, the first volume yielded decent results but the intermediate volume analysis was complete shit (furigana fucks the OCR).

Adobe Acrobat yielded much better results when you only OCR'd the notes one by one though so that's a viable alternative.

Do you have any examples that could be added to this spreadsheet?
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QNAucfhVViWzIQgPwRvFFsb0dUlfhenhG8ie7-6dwE0/pubhtml?widget=true&headers=false&chrome=false

Any good Japanese streams for the Olympics?

This is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day, do you have any more

youtube.com/watch?v=uzmt5Dju67w

Follow the 手うが twitter page and I'm sure you'll find a lot more.
twitter.com/teuga_bot

youtube.com/watch?v=dwOiWPnb-SE forgot to add this

Are you hardcore enough to read this Japanese literary analysis absolutely destroys your beloved Kinoko Nasu?

homepage2.nifty.com/aleksey/LIBRA/kasai_nasu.html

youtube.com/watch?v=P49FraVNS_Y

youtube.com/watch?v=uJSGt16r8MM

youtube.com/watch?v=9xWa7BBHvvI

youtube.com/watch?v=WCM69omIEpQ

Here's the last couple of songs I was addicted to

>全裸で手うがに抵抗がない
>自分の手うがフェチを隠さない
this is glorious

a.uguu.se/prUB2bntxNVq_1468673673189.webm

Did you watch the new episode of New Game already?

やややややらしいよぉ~

No I didn't my listening comprehension is too shit

Yes. What do you think was the purpose of making Aoba so sexual?

wtf man i almost saw her nakey

What the fuck is this 手うが meme?

If you don't want to get a cold you'll have to do 手うが

you must a special kind of retard if one day genki made you learn more than fucking anki

Is this a pun im so confused

The guy who's been obsessed with yuru yuri for the past like two weeks got to a chapter with a yuru yuri meme in

Maybe I should pick up this show after all...

It's aoty so yes, you should

Don't. It's boring as shit.

>for the past like two weeks
DJT has talked about ゆるゆり on and off for a long time.

神様!

But there's been a whole bunch of yuru yuri discussion recently, a lot more than usual, I guess maybe that one guy posting pages from it and asking questions about it a few weeks back must have sparked a bunch of people picking it up

I dropped it already, but I could watch it while cooking/cleaning or so if it has some moments to savor.

Is it possible to into sticky keys with microsoft IME? With that I mean I want á to appear when I press ' and then 'a'.
I can't read japanese well enough to make sense out of the properties window. On my regular keyboard it was enabled.

I just realized sticky keys isn't the right term. I mean dead keys.

>must have sparked a bunch of people picking it up
Hope so. Nice to see others enjoying the work of that zany little jellyfish.
I managed to get a few anons interested in learning Japanese on another image board in a thread by providing on the spot translations for some ゆるゆり stuff, they asked me how I learned that and I pointed them to the Guide.
Cute girls, man, they motivate even the most broken anons.

Does anybody have YesJapan / Japanese From Zero scans or videos?

I've seen the authors videos on Youtube, and they are pretty good, but I'm a stingy bastard.

Do you listen to music when you do your reps?

Yes but only instrumental music. I find lyrics too distracting.

Thanks user, I'm already halfway through volume 11.

Motherfuckers, hear me out.
There are two different methods of learning: Flashcards and textbooks. Let's say flashcards is Anki and textbooks is Genki to simplify things.

If you use Anki, you have to do the reps every day if you don't want to screw yourself over. There's nothing fun about Anki. There's nothing entertaining about Anki. All you're doing is review the same words or phrases, over and over, every day. It's completely normal to get well over 200 reviews a day. It's tedious and time-consuming and frankly quite robotic. It doesn't feel natural to me.

With textbooks (in this case, Genki), you can work at your own pace. You're not on a time limit. You're in no rush. Depending on the textbook (or website), you can have fun. It feels fluid, like you can keep studying without wanting to kill yourself. I know Genki is an incredibly basic Japanese textbook, but you can move on to other, more advanced books/websites later on. You don't have to take the Core decks. You might be learning vocab from it, but you're not having fun. There's nothing fun about Anki. When you don't have fun, you don't feel motivated. It feels like you're doing it for nothing.

Explaining this is difficult, but I hope this made sense. That's why I made more progress with fucking Genki.

Holy shit its working again. I reinstallied the import addon, rikaisama, reset all the resetable rikai settings in about:config or what it was and restarted my pc and its back

Fuck I'm relieved.

You're retarded.

>muh flash cards is robotism meme
Fuck off.