So, it looks like nobody liked this

So, it looks like nobody liked this.
Why? Were they expecting some kind of revelation? New word in genre? 26 episodes? Second coming of GitS? "Salvation of the anime industry"? Something other than one episode of good animation and cool shit? How stupid can those people be?
I bet the same folks complain that kabaneri "had bad plot". For fuck's sake.

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/review/under-the-dog/.105058
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm not fishing here, buddy. Watched that ova right now and genuinely have no idea why it's so hated. Was it just overhyped?

>"Salvation of the anime industry"?
That was what they promised.

It's silly to believe someone could change anime industry with just one anime. No, not even anime, 1 ova. It's only 900k bucks, that's, like, 2-3 episodes at best.

>shit apologists

It was overhyped by the creators such that when it came it the product was nowhere near as good as it was promised to be. People felt cheated because they spent money on something that turned out to be mediocre.

That's what it was advertising.

people were expecting something decent, not complete trash

Guess I'll go read their kickstarter page or watch some trailers, because I don't remember it being hyped that much.
But it's not complete trash, far from it. Complete trash is something like new berserk anime.

How much money did you spend on this?

Zero.

Then why bother defending it?

I wasn't expecting it to be anything revolutionary.

I was just expecting a cool OVA with some kickass action and good animation from a director I respect and that's what I got.

It was just those CIA fucksticks blowing hot air, and they got kicked off the project anyway.

Because I'm confused, this thing which was completely fine, or even somewhat exciting/interesting, is hated everywhere. And I don't know why. Here, we figured out that it was just overhyped, which happens to a lot of things.
Oh, and if you think about it, if I spent some money on this I probably would've been disappointed too. Because it's not a perfectly perfect life-changing experience I expected it to be.

CIA?

Sup Forums just has a raging hateboner for any Kickstarter project, but apparently it's OK when Trigger does it.

Maybe if it had been the entire 38 minutes rather than a pile of kickstarter credits.

It's okay when the crowdfunded project is delivered to a reasonable standard, yes.

Everybody knew what they were going to get with LWA because there was already a complete product out there courtesy of anime mirai. They promised another LWA if they got the money. Nothing more; nothing else. They delivered.

This garbage on the other hand was fucking shilled to hell and back here and thankfully Sup Forums was actually smart enough to not bite. Especially when one of the retarded PR guys actually said this would be the next coming of whatever savior they're thinking of when all in all it would obviously just be a substanceless OVA that only has a few minutes of good animation. Guess what? Unlike LWA they didn't deliver.

It was a shitty pilot episode.
>900k
>quality everywhere
>bland characters
>tensionless unimpressive action scenes
>incredibly underwhelming narrative that was little more than an introduction
>one instance of good animation
It's the definition of mediocrity so I suggest you get better taste OP.

Creative Intelligence Arts, the group who helped produce the project and originally started the Kickstarter campaign.

Hiroaki Yura, the guy in charge of CIA, pushed that "KEEP ANIME ALIVE" nonsense and proved that he was inexperienced with Kickstarter and actually knowing how to get projects going.

Kinema Citrus had a stash of funds presaved for the project, but CIA and Yura thought they could rely on Kickstarter bucks alone and hadn't saved up for the project.

Kinema Citrus, Masahiro Ando, and the rest of the creative staff realized how incompetent they were and called them out, and Yura and CIA cracked and left the project.

Kinema and the entire creative division of Under the Dog then decided to do everything themselves and formed Mentat Studios, which took over the Kickstarter campaign.

They then got it done and here we are now.

I see. Thanks.

>$900k
>one episode
>full of QUALITY
>implying this is OK

But we already established that it was just the Kickstarter campaign management company that was dumb and the actual creative division actually had a grasp on reality: When Mentat Studios took over, they didn't make any grandiose claims about "saving anime" and were actually able to handle the project well.

Unfortunately the damage had already been done by CIA. When Hiroaki Yura and CIA said they wanted to "make something revolutionary like Ghost in the Shell, Akira and EVA," Kinema Citrus and the rest of the creative division stepped in and said "What the fuck are you idiots thinking?", which led to them leaving the project.

Mentat and Kinema got the project done while CIA is still in development hell over their first Kickstarter campaign, the JRPG Project Phoenix.

Is it subbed?

I liked it, definitely would watch a full season of that. Was it worth the wait and donations though? No.

There has been shows from time to time that has changed the rules of the industry.

At least it was better than LWA2.

Evangelion came out 20 years ago. And I can't recall more recent show that changed the industry.

I can think of a few.

>Hiroaki Yura
>raised in Australia
No wonder he has talent for shitposting.

I didn't want to name any show.
But recently SAO is an example. There were shows similar to SAO that were even better than the latter, but those didn't leave an impact as SAO did. For the good or the bad, but you cannot deny that it did impacted the industry.
UtD was released what? One week ago? The thing is almost nobody remembers it but the backers, and that's just because they feel like they were robbed.

They should've adapted this.

I was expecting something good.

Time to inform OP

>shilled hard by Reddit and ANN
animenewsnetwork.com/review/under-the-dog/.105058

>can't wait to sink more money into the sequel

>900K and 3.5 years for this

>above and beyond the regular Television standard (Gundam UC, Ghost in the Shell Arise)

>I hope UTD will give an example that the Japanese anime industry should really focus their attention globally, not just our tiny Japanese audience

>Biggest reason to support UTD is because this will change the anime industry, to strive for creative freedom

All that shit's irrelevant. This shit would not have even been funded if not for that stupid ass campaign and people would have largely dismissed it as the bland shit it was but due to all the hype anything less than good would be dealt harshly. I watched this pilot thinking, what is it about this that couldn't get greenlite like every fucking original anime every season? The animation was subpar and action itself was boring, and it seems pointless to say anything bad about the story or characters because their intention was not focused on either. This whole thing was a mess and yet I don't really think we can blame CIA for it since they did their job and got a bunch of idiots to fund something that they probably would never watch to begin with.

Jesus christ.

ANN is notorious for being hipster anyway, no surprise there. They also tend to praise stuff they promote (Space Dandy is a good example).

>this is why the project is expensive and this is the way it should be
kek this guy would make a good hollywood producer who churns out capeshit year after year.

People should work solo. Or like a tyrant, with only unquestioning servants beneath. Any "cooperation" almost always will lead to this shit(that might or may not be real).

That's not QUALITY though.

Yeah, sure.

Madoka Magica?
AOT?
OPM?
GochiUSA?
Free?

How has any of those affected the industry in any way?

Are you just listing your favorite animes?

>Madoka
>falling for the "Madoka started/changed mahou shoujo" meme

>AOT
>OPM
>making it big with normalfags is changing the industry

>Gochiusa
What

You're missing the point. The reason why people like you are talking shit about it is because of CIA blowing hot air in the first place and you rightfully mocking them as pretentious.

If it was just the creative division of it in charge from the get go, you and a bunch of people probably wouldn't have seen it in such a bad light.

Yes it's not perfect and had a couple flaws, but overall I liked it.

If you don't, that's fine, but the main reason it's getting such flack is thanks to CIA. .

And the reason why it didn't get greenlit as s show before was because when they originally tried to it went through development hell and was unfortunately abandoned in favor of other works.

Changed it *for the better*.

Well Free! led to more fujo shows being produced.

No.

GochiUSA pretty much defined modern SoL. And the success of SNK and OPM led to more actiony shows.

Kabaneri DID have a blad plot.

Oh, you're just pretending to be retarded.

pretty much all seasonal anime have bad plot, user.

>GochiUSA pretty much defined modern SoL. And the success of SNK and OPM led to more actiony shows

You're a stupid motherfucker.

K-On! and Lucky Star did that.
And no, Free! is just in the same vein as all the other male sports anime.

Actually scratch that, we can even go back further and trace it to Azumanga but the other two definitely further cemented the popularity of the format.

Of course. In English, Japanese, and German.

Too bad not every LN is as good as haruhi or bakemonogatari.

Underrated post.

>seasonal anime
There's that fucking word again. Are you trying to suggest that long-running anime tend to have good plots, or are you just tossing around a buzzword for no reason like usual?

Then you have to exclude EVA as well.

You can't really call that very reliable information.
That's just CIA's stupid PR:

even demolition D hyped it up

Demo only really cared about the creative division behind it. He knew CIA was being dumb but was willing to give it a chance. He's a huge fan of Sword of the Stranger so he wanted to support a project from the same director.

The people backing this probably didn't want something set in an high-school with teen protagonists, or at least that's the impression I got from when the kickstarter was around.

>youtube celebrity worship
Burger hours have arrived. Good night.

Wow, the soldiers are voiced by actual Americans.

But Anthea is literally wearing a highschool uniform when she was first shown in the first trailer.

>seasonal anime
Meaningless term. All anime was seasonal at one point or another

It's gotten zero buzz too. It sounds like a total flop to me.

>The reason why people like you are talking shit about it is because of CIA blowing hot air in the first place and you rightfully mocking them as pretentious.
I literally fucking said that the pilot was shit without CIA overhyping it. CIA is just selling you a shitty product and they succeeded whether that project was anything you wanted is irrelevant.

>If it was just the creative division of it in charge from the get go, you and a bunch of people probably wouldn't have seen it in such a bad light.

It was shat on even before it was release because the premise was nothing like it was hyped up to be. It was never a novel idea and there's also the fact that people tend to hate Kickstarter and their practices. The only people that were hyped for this are the same people who are defending it now much liek you are.

>Yes it's not perfect and had a couple flaws, but overall I liked it.
So your tastes is shit? Who cares.

>but the main reason it's getting such flack is thanks to CIA. .

No? People just didn't like the end product and I can gurantee if this was the first episode of a seasonal anime it would get shit on as well

>And the reason why it didn't get greenlit as s show before was because when they originally tried to it went through development hell and was unfortunately abandoned in favor of other works.

Not really an excuse but whatever

>pretty much all seasonal anime have bad plot
Are you retarded or what? Seasonal anime is just a relative term, it's not a fucking genre you twat.

>youtube celebrity dick suckers now post on Sup Forums
No wonder the board has gotten shittier.

Pay attention this is your brain on shitposting and memes. This user has become so deluded by listening to nothing but shitposting that he literally thinks in buzzwords and memes, incapable of rationally observing and reporting reality.

>Then why bother defending it?
Because maybe an outsider's take is possibly more objective than some butthurt backer? I didn't think it was amazing either, but I thought it was pretty solid. It was expositiony, but for the most part not overly so. It did a decent job of letting the visuals tell the story. Story-wise it's clearly a girls with guns story that throws back to the late nineties/early 2000s. As such it has some bits of fanservice, things exploding, and people dying. Animation was mostly decent/good and there were things with some attention to verisimilitude (not that massive firefight on the school stairs though).

I knew nothing going in and when I came out I wasn't overwhelmed but I definitely thought it ended up being what it was trying to be.

You sound like the one who was hyped and was disappointed. For a first episode it would actually be pretty solid. It wasn't what you wanted therefore it's bad, even if it has a lot of things that work on its own terms.

You don't get to imply that he bought into this anime just because he's not trashing it, when you're shitting on it for le ebin meme appeal.

>You sound like the one who was hyped and was disappointed.
You sound like you don't have an arguement so you have to play the strawman.

>Didn't back it at all
>In fact forgot about its existence much like most people did.
>First episode was mostly unimpressive and had production values of an average TV anime
>Art was shit and the animaion wasn't well done
>Action was boring and the story was uninteresting
>This obviously means that I was hyped and disappointed.

You are trying and failing hard at making a point.