HIV in blood transfutions

>family member getting blood transfusion at Kaiser Permanente Baldwin Park.
I asked the doctor if they screen 100% of the blood donated.
Doctor: "Well nothing is 100%."

>No I mean do they sample every donation or is it lets say 10% across all samples.?
Doctor: "The screening process is very good."

He was very noncommittal to saying what the screening standard was. Maybe he doesn't know, its not his department. BTW you have sign a release before accepting a blood transfusion because of the risk of disease transmission.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/10/09/knowingly-infecting-others-with-hiv-is-no-longer-a-felony-in-california-advocates-say-it-targeted-sex-workers/?utm_term=.8596b4959837
globalnation.inquirer.net/74321/why-are-there-so-many-filipino-nurses-in-the-us#ixzz4vdtrEHeE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>grab small samples from a bunch of bags
>mix it all up
>test the result
that's how its tested
its not 100% accurate

Pro tip: its the high school from Starship Troopers.

>Amerilard healthcare
Not even shocked m8s. It's what we've come to expect from the third world.

Is it a serious crime to knowingly donate HIV infected blood in Argentina? Its not in California.

>third world laws to boot

I could go in now and probably give tainted lyme disease blood if I wanted to. No idea what the fuck that would do to whoever gets the blood, but I'm not a shitbag weirdo wanting to spread my burden to others.

They don't test for medication either. They accept blood from people taking clozaril.

I have needed transfusions and refused them.

>Thinking you can just hand them bags of blood

Utah should charge top dollar for pure Mormon blood.

>You will never fuck Denise Richards after getting terrible test scores at your fascist trainee academy. Why even live?

Didn't they just pass a law allowing faggots to donate blood?

>even our fags are cleaner tha yours

he was fucking putting blood in you that he steals off homeless people after they pass out from a binge

washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/10/09/knowingly-infecting-others-with-hiv-is-no-longer-a-felony-in-california-advocates-say-it-targeted-sex-workers/?utm_term=.8596b4959837

>California lawmakers have passed legislation to reduce the penalty for those who knowingly or intentionally expose others to HIV without their knowledge, rolling back a law that mostly affected sex workers.
>The bill, SB 239, which was approved by the Democrat-controlled state legislature in September and signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown (D) on Friday, will lower the charges for these acts from a felony to a misdemeanor when the law goes into effect in 2018. The act of knowingly donating HIV-infected blood, also a felony now, will be decriminalized.

here every bag is tested wtf trump

>The act of knowingly donating HIV-infected blood, also a felony now, will be decriminalized.

Fuck this gay earth

my mother has some health issues where she might need a transfusion within the next year
im so fucking scared since they legalized giving people HIV, and donating HIV blood

You know, they do rely mostly on heat treating.

maybe you can donate some blood right before and have it reserved? there are probably private blood banks if the hospital doesn't do this

Blood doesn't last that long

What the fuck. Give me one good reason why KNOWINGLY giving people AIDS shouldn't warrant the death penalty.

You're just trying to stigmatize the gay.

yeah it can only be stored about 42 days. you can however draw blood and keep it available if the surgery is scheduled

Tried to do this before surgery, my insurance refused to cover it.

Theres actually a really good chance my great grandmother died of AIDS via bad blood transfusion. It was in the late 70s right before AIDS was discovered.

I used to work in a blood bank lab. Every unit of blood is tested for infectious diseases as well as a whole slew of minor and major factors.
There's a small window of time, about a week, where a recently infected person may carry the virus in their blood at a low enough amount that we can't detect it.
Absolutely not.
This is called an autologous donation. Leukoreduced RBCs are good for 42 days, more than enough time for your body to regenerate.
If you want to get fancy, you can also glycerolize and freeze it for decades. It's rare to need an autologous transfusion unless you're a doping for athletics, or have an extremely rare set of minor blood types and have had many transfusions in the past.

Ama I guess

do you guys have different tiers of blood in the blood bank?

It was a big big deal that the FDA dragged their feet so much on mandating testing for HIV antibodies. iirc AABB beat FDA to it actually, and thankfully most US blood banks are part of the AABB.
No, but some types are rarer than others.
Half the population has the cytomegalovirus, which can't be used for pediatric transfusions, and everyone has a whole bunch of minor blood types (aside from the famous ABO and Rh that everyone knows) - your body's immune system can tolerate transfusions of incompatible minor types, even maybe an incompatible ABO or Rh, but eventually it starts to reject incompatible minor types, which means people who get many transfusions start to need blood matched more closely than ABO and Rh.
Funfact: the minor types common in blacks are chronically in short supply, since they don't donate.

*desire to know more intensifies*

This was my regular hospital for ages and I never noticed that

>Funfact: the minor types common in blacks are chronically in short supply, since they don't donate.

But I was lead to believe that #BlackLivesMatter

It helps the economy you commie piece of shit. Think of all the healthcare jobs it would create, plus the spike in demand for HIV meds to treat the newly infected.

Just think of all Filipino nurses we can import.

as I understand it they take samples from each donation, mix it all in to a homogeneous batch, and then test the batch
if there's HIV detected they throw out all of the donations
so letting and encouraging HIV positive people to donate blood (it's effectively what they're doing, saying "go ahead!") might not result in infections but it will make the cost of donor blood increase

There are fucked up homos that want to poz straight people AKA "breeders" because of hatred and/or perverted exhilaration. So they'll take advantage of this law.

Wut, I don't get your comment.

Whatever new healthcare jobs that open up will be filled by Filipinos.

Why tho.

I thought there was a test that was developed by a couple of young people between 14 and 25 who all independantly developed an easy method to test blood for std, aids and hiv

20% of all the registered nurses in California are Filipinos

globalnation.inquirer.net/74321/why-are-there-so-many-filipino-nurses-in-the-us#ixzz4vdtrEHeE

California

It should?

Everyone who made that law should be eviscerated on stage in public

neat, thanks for this

it makes party queers who have 6 new random dicks shoved into them per night feel sadsies that they aren't included.

Is she healthy enough to have her blood drawn now and stored?

Because then nobody would ever get tested.

Good point, unknowingly doing it should also warrant the death penalty.

how do u even prosecute

>all homosexuals have hiv
>hiv magically spawns when gay men have sex

Nursing student and EMT here; here's what I can tell you based off of my experience.

1. Never give false hope. For us nurses (by extension I'm assuming MDs), we're constantly taught never to give potentially false absolutes (like hope). We have to strive for stuff like "We'll do the best we can", "You're receiving the best care we can give", etc.

2. There are many diseases that can be spread via blood and there is no universal test for everything. This means they only test for the most common blood-borne pathogens and only specific blood abnormalities if there is reason to do so (e.g., you're showing S/Sx and HPI for a specific autoimmune disease so they'll test for specific antibodies r/t that said disease). They'll for sure test for HIV and Hepatitis in the blood being donated, but I doubt they'll test for something like Rabies unless they have reason to do so.