I really miss Urusei Yatsura. I think it's a highly underrated classic and more people should go out and watch it

I really miss Urusei Yatsura. I think it's a highly underrated classic and more people should go out and watch it.

Other urls found in this thread:

dlsite.com/ecchi-eng/work/=/product_id/RE093229.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HMZx5Q286mo
youtube.com/watch?v=b2Jiic05C0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I really miss Urusei Yatsura

As do I user.

I'm glad I watched it, it sucks that not that many people will know how fun it was to watch.

It's just underrated on Sup Forums. Most anime fans not born in the 90's knows who Lum is and how much the series changed the industry.

Sup Forums fucking sucks.
I rarely see anything good here.

It was just a lot of fun. Every character made you happy to see them, even the less favorable ones. Ryuu and her father were always a delight to see.

they were a fucking trip, every time they were in the episode I had a stupid smile on my face.

I feel like this is one of those shows that most anons know about but because its rarely discussed it indefinitely sits in their backlog. At least this is the case for me. But thanks for reminding to check it out.

>knows who Lum is and how much the series changed the industry.
I see lots of references to it as fan service presumably but what do you mean?

Every time I see a Urusei Yatsura thread, I always have a small amount of hope that it will stay alive before hitting the 10th page.

Even the fox?

I don't know what you're on about, if anything Sup Forums tries it's best to always keep Lum as relevant as they can despite being pretty much forgotten everywhere else except maybe oldfags from Japan and the more savvy ones from here back in the day

His' episodes were cute and all, but kinda boring.

I'm not so sure about this. It kinda sounds like fun and it really does look good for such an old show. But then again 195 fucking episodes is just a huge investment. I'm always hoping that there will be a remake or an OVA with max 24 episodes or so.

Sadly, this will never happen.

I always kinda liked the Setsubun episodes.

Just watch a few episodes. At least get to the point where Mendou is introduced and then drop it if you're not feeling it after that, or whenever you get bored.

>2.5GB per episode

They were lesbians right?

I will give it a try.

Or at the very least, the manga, cause its just as fun and its 16 pages a chapter and each chapter is usually contained.

I'm guess the manga is the same as the anime, just with less of the fillers you see.

Am I wrong?

It's a really funny show. It will make you laugh.
Personally, the crows were the goats.

>missing out on the genius of Mamoru Oshii

He really left his mark on the show, not to mention Beautiful dreamer is one of the greatest anime movies ever.

Worth it

You're right. It's one of the best movies around.

Less references and craziness from what I remember. But not having Lum's stormtroopers around is one of the biggest pluses ever.

Don't worry, Sup Forums will know soon.

Be honest with me Sup Forums. I really tried to like Ranma 1/2. I gave it a good 50 episodes. Is this gonna be like another Ranma 1/2 where no real progress in anything is ever made?

I watched every single episode of Ranma 1/2 about 10 years ago and thought it was trash.

Watched Urusei Yatsura more recently, and it was fantastic until it got to around episode 26, which was when they started doing full episode stories instead of 2 stories per episode.

If you're expecting progress, look elsewhere. Urusei Yatsura is a comedy, not a romance. It just happens to be a far better comedy than Ranma.

Exactly. There is not a main storyline.

Urusei Yatsura is a great comedy for sure. I liked Ranma, but the characters in UY are just a bit more enduring I think.

I want to cum in lum

dlsite.com/ecchi-eng/work/=/product_id/RE093229.html

UY is awesome. I was pretty sad when I ran out of episodes.
I thought I would never find another long running show to fill the gap, but then I found Sgt Keroro.

I think it'd be nice if they gave us something UY at least every few years. Or do a live action version like they did for Ranma.
youtube.com/watch?v=HMZx5Q286mo

If it is around 1gb per ep. I would download it. But 2.5gb/ep? Nah, nevermind.

Get the Kagura raws you dumb faggots. 1.3gb per episode.

Are the Kagura rips really good? I've got the old DVD rips. Can I have an example?

Takahashi really means it when she wants to move on. She's definitely done the same for Inuyasha with Rinne now.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new UY or ranma 1/2 came out. At least maybe for a season just to help a dead franchise. I'm surprised as good as UY it really died... Considering it did help change the industry somewhat but it did also follow predecessors too like Osomatsu and other series that eventually died off.

Yeah they're good. Get them.

The problem with Takahashi series is the storylines are more like antics that are popular with no resolution and basically lack substance. They end the same way a series begins. It doesn't change. They're like looney toons, if you kill the road runner; Thats it, the end. This was mentioned on looney tunes as well to educate the viewers, and everyone loved it. It's a universal rule authors make and thy have to abide by them; like it or not, till they can be a kubo and asspull like crazy.

Inuyasha was substantial to a degree that did progress but also lacked and suffered in quality. Rinne is decent also, but isn't as bad compared to the earlier works in that regard.

Rinne might end up suffering and could potentially be her last work, considering how old she is now.

Make of it what you will.

Aside from Maison Ikkoku

Nothing from Rumiko since UY has been as good as UY. I didn't enjoy most of her newer work.

This I agree with. Best work for an 80's series. Beginning to end. College kids series and not a shounen.

Put subs on the BD and I'll watch it.

I've read Maison Ikkoku a number of times, it's very special to me.

Well, the Ranma anime after a while stops introducing characters since it goes mainly into episodic filler. UY is episodic, but you often get new recurring cast members. There's some romance progression initially when they change Shinobu to Lum as the main girl, but after that everything remains still.

Although at least the final episode of the anime does give some romantic resolution, unlike the manga ending/5th movie.

Rumiko ruined anime forever. How could we forget?

>being this new

underrated

But there's too many episodes. It's kind of scary.

I heard one of the movies was directed by Oshii so I'll probably get around watching it eventually.

The first half of the series is directed by him.

I recently started watching this, and am about 10 episodes in, and holy fuck this shit is so boring and bad. All of the episodes end in some nonsense way and none of the characters are likable. Every episode a new character I dislike even more than the last is introduced. Lum is a bitch, Shinobu is a bitch too but I find myself rooting for her because she's not nearly close to as big of a bitch as Lum.

And despite all that I keep watching it because obviously it can have good episodes, like the first and episode 7, and also I figure I'm going to watch it in entirety anyhow because I simply must. It's a major show with a lot of history and influence I want to see first hand. But I haven't been enjoying the ride. When does the show get good?

The beginning can be rough.
I think ep 10 (the christmas one) was brilliant and made me think it was worth it to keep going.
It sure was.
Trust me, it gets better.

Okay user, I'll take your word for it and persevere, I didn't think a show could be consistently bad for almost 200 episodes, just wanted a little reassurance

The beginning is the best part you stupid fag.

I suggest you watch something else or maybe kill yourself. If you can't appreciate the fast paced, off the wall humor, then you shouldn't be watching.

You'll have to deal with people being bitches in this show though, men and women alike.
I though it was hilarious, but then again I liked Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro.

The thing is it gets kinda experimental and you'll have many types of episodes that are more than comedy. It's pretty refreshing.

It's not anime that you watch to finish, you watch it to have fun.

It's not really dead though. Its still very popular in Japan.

Listen mister "the show becomes garbage at ep 26" or whatever.
I liked it from the start. The retro artstyle is charming and it's pretty funny. But sometimes some of the shorts build up for a joke that just never come.
I know I got pretty frustrated at a couple of them, and that's why I think it can be rough for people less used to old anime.

Wouldn't call it best part though.

Do you like this opening?

youtube.com/watch?v=b2Jiic05C0M

>I really miss Urusei Yatsura

What does this even mean? You didn't watch it as it aired in Japan in the 80s, so you miss that time you downloaded an anime and watched it?

>and also I figure I'm going to watch it in entirety anyhow because I simply must

Fuck you, fuck anime fans for having this mentality, fuck applying completionist mindsets to shit like TV shows, fuck weeaboos, fuck the use of phrases like "picked up" and "dropped" instead of just watching what you want to watch, fuck the idea that some shows are "essential" and "must be watched."

FUCK

>it's another ataru's house gets destroyed episode

I watch the "essentials" because I do like anime and try to deepen my understanding and knowledge of it. I'd like to see someone apply the same nonsense you're talking to books

>lol dude just read genre fiction you like don't try to develop better literary knowledge and experience
Except that sounds as ignorant as it is.
Fuck you you ignoramus, fuckers like you who literally encourage others having a low power level don't belong on Sup Forums. If I only watched anime I immediately liked I'd still be rewatching Eureka 7 for the nth time. I'd rather watch an anime I don't necessarily like and learn something from it than watch a series I moderately enjoy and forget it the next week.

FAGGOT

Maybe he misses buying bootleg subbed VHS tapes.

Ataru is the man.
Alpha as fuck, never dies, strong as fuck, though as fuck. He always goes for bithces and hoes. He can even fuck his trap buddies. But now days, all the DENSE motherfuckers mc sucks really bad. Damn man I really like Ataru.

I think i'l watch this at double speed to get through it faster

My friendo.

I dropped this shit after 15 episodes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a series "going nowhere" or not having "substance". It's just a different kind of experience, a set of familiar characters you enjoy your time with.

Plotfags are absolute cancer, almost as bad as the people is talking about

>watching cartoons made for japanese children to learn something

how stupid are you

and low powerlevel casual watchers are infinitely more tolerable than people trying to use their choice of shows as a measuring stick

The show is better resting in peace with such amazing record of fantastic movies and being one of the most influential shows of all time.
You couldn't replicate the magic the show had with Oshii, Yamazaki and the rest of talented people on board

>When does the show get good?

I thought the show started improving after Mendo's introduction, right after the point where you stopped. However, the real leap in quality comes when it stops doing the two chapters or stories per episode stuff (they stop doing two titles around episode 20, but still continue adapting two stories per episode for a while in the 20s). That gives Oshii a lot more time to add his own content and craziness to the show, which can become really surreal at times, in later episodes basically even making episodes that basically fit into other genres.

Even the 2nd staff that takes over after Oshii leaves still attempts to keep that style going, rather than going with a pure manga adaptation, although due to being different people it's not exactly the same style.

There's no perfect way to watch tv. I like to keep myself cultured and enjoy things. If I can't complete something; I leave it alone. I wasn't being critical; I was stating out how it was, though it was a bit biased and opinionated. If you want to enjoy it for leisure sake; by all means, enjoy it. Nothing wrong with it. I have my fun things at times myself, just to let go of the tension of illusion of climbing up and just letting go.

If people want to speak Japanese in an annoying theatrical way; let them embarrass themselves. I'd only do it to acquire another language and skill set, even though I don't know how different places will behave. It only shows me how people are conditioned to their television and keep t simple with people in real life, even when it comes to embarrassing a culture and language when it's nothing like they think it is. Hipster tourism at its finest.

You do realize that manga and anime are based off books and novels, right? Kinda shot yourself in the foot there yo.

The manga and the anime are similar but they have important differences.
A few examples being stuff like Ataru being more cynical and stubborn compared to his anime counterpart and Lum being more agressive and jelaous.
Onsen-Mark is married and has a kid in the manga meanwhile he is single in the anime and in love with Sakura.

They have similar stuff but they are differenr worlds.

Also the manga doesn't have the Lum Stormtroopers which in my opinion are half of the fun on the anime

No dude; it's dead. We're talking about people who keep up in the present projects and not series that get old and out of print. If it was alive; we would've seen somethings new but nothing popped up.

As far as I'm concerned, Lupin III is far more active in contrast in comparison.

I liked the OVA from a few years back.

Not that user, but maybe he just wants to see anime that's influential. I don't see that as a bad thing. How can you even discuss anime if you are incapable of forming the big picture?

Ain't nothing wrong going retro and enjoying something just to see why it was good for its time.

Same but is not on the same level compared to the previous stuff
I mean you had Satoshi Dezaki working on the fifth movie and helping on the OVAs

The real biggest difference between anime and manga is that when the anime starts doing full episode stories, Oshii often used the extra screentime to go full crazy. For example, in the manga, there's this one chapter where Ataru goes to some alien bath place in a sub-dimension - in the anime, half of the episode, rather than being about the manga story, is about Ataru stuck in some really creepy and dream-like city in the sub-dimension while attempting to find his way to the bath.

Anime original stories like the one where Lum lost her memory and Ataru had to invade Mendou's mansion or the one where Lum was lost in alternate worlds and trying to find her way home take more dramatic and serious beats than any of the manga stories aside from maybe the finale.

The manga has the Lum fanclub quartet in the beginning, but they completely disappear after Mendo is introduced, aside from Megane making a couple of very minor appearances and three of them appearing together for a single scene much later.

Also, some of the running jokes (like Mendou ALWAYS losing to Ataru in everything) are anime-only.

>That gives Oshii a lot more time to add his own content and craziness to the show
No it doesn't you stupid retard. If anything, it ruins the perfect pacing the show originally had. All of a sudden there are 60+ second scenes of pure filler that aren't funny.

That episode where Ataru and Lum protect the caterpillar from the rest of the class is dead set garbage, and the precise point the series went downhill.

How many years have you been going on with that.
And you used to be more polite too, what happened. Did you even keep watching.
Those "filler" are good most of the time. It can be used to add atmosphere or display good animation like those super long chase scenes that made the anime memorable and is something that only animation can bring.

Eh, I don't think the first few episodes of the show (or the manga in general) have anything close to a "perfect pacing". The series just stays too monotonous when it's just joke after joke after joke - with the punchlines sometimes going away almost unnoticed. The anime adds more variation, helping the whole thing breath.

Now, I can't remember what story you're talking about there, so it probably really wasn't good, but I enjoyed the vast majority of the anime-only content.

I hated that OVA, couldn't stand how much of a dick Ataru was to Lum. It's like they mixed up his character with Ranma.

The school scenes were mostly an adaptation of a manga chapter that wasn't animated originally (although the Mendo army and Lum's friends and rivals popping up were original) - They even included Ataru's friend from the manga that just made cameos in the original anime, rather than replacing him with Perm or Megane like what the old anime often did.

Yeah because Pokemon is such a fucking gem with its endless recycled plots, when a show with weak sauce plot drags on it leaves an awful aftertaste because you litterally didn't get any resolution, any reward for watching it from start to finish.

You must love the hamfisted lowquality sailor moon and dbs reboots.

We already discussed this you hag. The show is lame and old, like you.

(You)

>Now, I can't remember what story you're talking about there, so it probably really wasn't good
You probably can, and thought it was really good, as I've seen it praised on Sup Forums numerous times. Go and re watch episode 25, and explain why the elongated nature of the episode is a good thing compared to earlier episodes. Feel free to watch the next 5 or so too, because they suffer from the exact same problem.

Nah. The show gets better when changes from two episodes to one

It's a sitcom you dip.
They don't pretend something amazing is going to happen next episode.
You're supposed to watch an episode and have fun.
The plot not evolving is not a factor of quality because it is not the point of the show.

So did you keep watching?
You do realize long running show with absolutly no breaks for the animators can have some weak moments, right?
It's clearly a transition in style for the anime. Keep watching and you'll see they get their shit together.

Isn't that top screenshot from the Janemba movie?

>m-my opinion is right guys

I actually know it gets better because I watched two episodes between 80-100.

I just can't be bothered watching the episodes I'm up to (25+) because I find them unbearably bad. I've been re-watching earlier episodes though, and still find them fantastic.

Thoughts on doing an Sup Forums live stream for the show's 25th anniversary?

That episode always stood out to me as maybe the only one where Ataru is kind and decent all the way throughout, without a moment of being a douche.