Why is this so highly praised and recommended?

Why is this so highly praised and recommended?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgtC_H79m4
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ei2izPLpHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're a normalfag you wouldn't understand.

How do you feel about this show from your perspective? It's hard to comprehend for me but I like the characters.

It's hard for you to comprehend because you're a normalfag

incredibly ironic you say that since this is one of those 'anime you can watch if you're not that into anime'

nhk is good but it's like Satoshi Kon films. If you're into vaguely weird or alternative media you can grasp it. It's not exactly a hidden gem.

Because it's highly praised and recommended. The show is boring and not very original, but you can't say that.

Because Satou is just like me!

Wish fulfillment anime for loners who can relate.

>it's like Satoshi Kon films. If you're into vaguely weird or alternative media you can grasp it. It's not exactly a hidden gem.
I'd argue Satoshi Kon's films lose value with the more anime you see. They are well animated and directed but they don't fill a niche. It just has an appealing premise with a somewhat good story.

NHK on the other hand fills a niche. Even if I think its boring shit, there isn't any other anime that does the themes that NHK does. As long as that niche appeals to you, you will enjoy NHK regardless of powerlevel.

Self-insertion I guess
I keep thinking the show has major problems, mainly Sato being dumb, really dumb, I still remember when he recognized that pyramid scheme and still fell for it
And then the animation quality is pretty shit, with episode 4 and 19 IIRC being fucking unwatchable

I think it's comfy as fuck

>Why is this so highly praised and recommended?
Did you read the manga?

Is pretty funny but behind really hurtful.

Personally I liked it, the characters were great and I love the comedy and directing. I like character driven shows.

Nothing about it is wish fulfillment, though.

The fuck are you talking about, normalfags love this show.

>I didn't actually watch the show.

Seriously, come on user. Relating to a charater and wish fulfillment are completely different. What wish fulfillment? Misaki??

Nothing is original, everything you like is no more original. Not having action doesn't make it boring.

Because Misaki is an angel

us hikkomoris right?

its pretty good

I lived like a NEET a whole year and still didn't felt like this was a masterpiece.
Satou was just a dude without any balls to take decisions in his life(besides using drugs but you just see that in the manga) Even Yamazaki points out his attitude and how absurd his "problems" are.
At least Misaki had a past full of home abuse. But in the end Satou gets his shit together for something simple like being hungry which makes sense on the story and is realistic. But the show is nowhere to be a masterpiece.

>Nothing is original,
Top pleb

Because it's good if anyone talks bad about it they either haven't seen it or are a normie who needs to go back to watching shounen shit like fairy tail or Naruto
There other reason anyone would talk bad about is because it hits too close to home and browse r9k instead of getting better taste in anime.

Do I stop being a normalfag once I watch it dubbed on Netflix, like a true Sup Forumsnon?

Because it's self-proclaimed Sup Forums fags depression-fags first "deep" anime.

Its just entry-level garbage.

Ok. What makes it garbage and how is anything you like better?

>Because it's self-proclaimed Sup Forums fags...
How to know a post is garbage 101:

If they aren't talking about Shounen or Berserk and mention Sup Forums, just stop reading. The post isn't gonna be worth reading.

this

It was pretty good

Moreso when you realize Misaki is a vapid cunt but you really want someone like her in your life

And friends in general

Well its so cool, have you been depressed? It has a lot of feels

You don't really need to be a hikki to relate to and enjoy it. I think almost anyone can relate to at least one of the characters. Especially considering how Yamazaki is your typical 2channer anime nerd in university.

>incredibly ironic you say that since this is one of those 'anime you can watch if you're not that into anime'

I'd have to disagree there. My friend who I rec'd it to texted me 4 episodes in asking if it was just going to be about hentai games the whole time.

I couldn't really say that it ever stops being about making H games. He dropped it after that.

Manga > LN > anime

I love how the writer got upset with everyone claiming Misaki as a waifu and a good thing to happen to Satou, so he made her an over the top cunt in the manga.

That's kind of the whole point. A lot of people in Satou's position are just like him: cowardly, lazy, self-absorbed, and self-conscious, but without any real trauma to blame it on. They know their problems, but feel that they can't force themselves to do anything about it. And they hate themselves for it. But they still don't change because they prefer this existence to the fear of failure and the unknowns of change.

NHK is a masterpiece to many because it perfectly shows this kind of character, and doesn't really have anything good to say about it.

watched it years ago, the quality massively went downhill around the island-arc iirc. Before that it was fun though.

It's pretentious so anime elitists praise it to seem cool.

It just showed that the only reason that Hikis and/or NEETs are allowed to exist in modern society is because someone is paying the bills. Look at Satou, no one made him do anything. His parents sent him cash every month to pay for food and rent. He didn't NEED to do anything to exist, and so he became comfortable doing nothing. However, the anime was good at exploring life from a hiki/NEET perspective. While Satou didn't have to do anything, he was still troubled with the guilt and anxiety that surrounds people in modern life. The expectations for you to do something with your life are very high, and people look down on you for being a hiki/NEET. However, when you aren't required to go out and work, your own feelings of guilt and anxiety can be quelled just enough to let you keep on living. Satou said it himself, he doesn't want to live but he doesn't want to die either. His life is in a perpetual state of purgatory in which he is not pulled in any direction at all.

But back to the main point, the hiki/NEET lifestyle is only viable if you are being sent free money for nothing. Remember in the anime that girl who was in the MLM scheme? Her brother was the same as Satou. Not expected to do anything, and had rent and food covered. He didn't have to do anything to live. But when she lost her income, he was left alone. He crawled out of the house and got a job so he could eat. The same thing happened with Satou. When his parents quit sending him money, suddenly his hiki/NEET lifestyle was gone overnight. I think it was a critique on Japan's problems with hikis while also trying to help people understand why people are like that. Since family and tradition is so important in Japan, parents often end up financing their children's way of life for one reason or another. When the kids realize they don't have to do anything, they are overcome with apathy. The money keeps coming even if they do nothing, and so they can become NEETs.

Essentially, the only reason people are like Satou is because they can be like that. They don't need to work to live, and so they don't. As soon as the money dries up and you're 3 days without food, it's a lot harder to remain a shut-in. The fastest way to cure NEETness is to cut that person's lifeline. (And yes, I know that not all NEETs are hikikomoris, and vice versa, although in this case I'm using them slightly interchangeably because my point applies to both).

>It's pretentious
How? Everyone can relate to some aspects of this show.

because Misaki

Watching this while being a worthless NEET for almost 4 years hit so close to home I actually shed a tear or two and had trouble falling assleep for two weeks because of depressive feelings.
Rewatching it after manning the fuck up and getting a nice apprenticeship made me feel like the exact opposide.
This show gave me the full spectrum of emotions so it will remain one of my favorites.
/blog

Manipulating bitch! Even Inchjou is more likeable than her!

I agree about the show doing his best effort to show the kind of person Satou is but it lacks a lot of the elements the manga and the novel have. So a lot of the situations happen and you feel how they decide to not give it any context and because of that it comes as incomplete.

One of the main reasons I don't see Welcome to the NHK like a masterpiece, a decent show but nowhere to be a masterpiece.

There be should an anime like this whose message is that to stop having imaginary girlfriends and "waifus"

>a whole year
>a year
>year

do you actually think a year is a long time? Try 10 or more.

Many "nerds" are lonely, anxious people who are afraid to end up like Satou. I think it strikes a chord with people like that (like me when I watched it), because it's strangely relieving to explore that scenario.

It's funny, because you also described NNB this way.

That's fair. I haven't read the novel or the manga, but I can agree that some situations seemed out of place.

For instance, the whole multi-level marketing plot felt practically like filler. At least, it was less overtly about escapism or Satou's social dysfunction. The only real relevance it had going forward was the small bit with Yuuichi almost starving and being forced to get a job, which of course Satou later also does.

Or how the suicide pact arc seemed to wrap up too cleanly for everyone.

Masterpiece is a strong word, but the emotional relevance of the main characters and their struggles, as well as just being somewhat unique in a sea of genericism, will often outweigh more objective criticisms.

Alot of people don't get that she's a cunt in the anime as well

I agree with you for the most part.

You should read the manga, is better and makes the anime experience sightly better because it gives a lot of context.
Like explaining the obsession of Satou with his senpai or more about his drug addiction and mental state.

My parents were about to kick me out.
It was getting in college and get a job or to sleep in the street

Was she the hero, or the villain?

Yeah. I can't believe people fell for the Misaki meme. It was obvious she was damaged and even Yamazaki knew something was wrong about her.

There's nothing quite like this show. A whole bunch of people share a common experience which no other work of art really explores. This is what makes it a classic.

The show is not a masterpiece, though. An unfaithful adaptation of an unfaithful adaptation, and at least in the last stage it hasn't improved. Manga, although it had its faults, left a much stronger impression on me.

>Manga, although it had its faults, left a much stronger impression on me.
Yes, I agree. But the anime had a beautiful soundtrack.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgtC_H79m4

That's precisely why I hate the ending and the anime. In manga, there was much more emphasis on the difficulty of escaping the situation, on Satou's internal problems getting the best of him. He never really won this fight, he was just forced to move on. In anime he's portrayed like a dumb shit with illusory problems who just sits there waiting for a kick in the ass. I suppose being someone who can make decisions in anime industry and having problems like Satou's isn't really compatible.

"You lose if you work" is a wise proverb.

I thought this chick was hot

I liked her old hairstyle.

So true. Still listen to it occasionally.
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ei2izPLpHc

it was never a light novel, it was a full novel.

animation is shit, but its still a damn good story

when a character makes you feel bad and sad about how you're living and how you feel about your outlook on life, its done its job.

that being said. its not like its a masterpiece.

Because the intense shitty moments

I guess that just reinforces the point that you won't relate unless you are a shut-in of some sort.

super emotional episode,screen becomes dark and i saw my reflection. I was anime all the time

dam bro

>In anime he's portrayed like a dumb shit with illusory problems who just sits there waiting for a kick in the ass

Yeah. I guess the manga and the LN are much more fleshed out in this respect. In the anime, Satou's problems really aren't deep at all. Like I said, he simply exists. He has enough cash to get buy, his parents aren't pushing him to do anything, and he has no reason to want to achieve anything. He simply lives every day doing what he wants while accomplishing nothing. His life is just comfortable enough to endure, but not secure enough to really escape the anxiety he feels every day.