I watched Akira for the first time today, and it was pretty good. The sound effects and music were enjoyable

I watched Akira for the first time today, and it was pretty good. The sound effects and music were enjoyable.
What do you think of this movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BBAJdtPVnZc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Now read the manga

Great animation, also

Thought it was much better on a second watch honestly. First went into it expecting a feature length on neo-bikers with environmental context so the shift into esper shit just frustrated more than anything

TETSUUUOOOOOOOOOO

I certainly plan to, of course.

Cool for the eyeballs. Not much else.

This pretty much.

Good and classic. The animation is impressive. I enjoyed it.

One of my favourite anime movies. Exceptionally well-written and animated, and it resonates with me personally. The soundtrack is fucking baller as well. Basically everything about it rocks, and it only grows on me every time I see it.

>First went into it expecting a feature length on neo-bikers with environmental context so the shift into esper shit just frustrated more than anything

I'm with ya on the first half, but I didn't know what direction the movie was going until the ESP shit started.

At that point, I was only wondering how fucking crazy they were going to go with it until something could intervene and stop him.

Does the manga get even crazier?

Details on the well-written and personally parts, please.

Even though it isn't personally my favorite anime film, I still feel like it's in a league of it's own, even today. It's disappointing that it's been nearly 30 years and there hasn't been anything that's come close to matching it in terms of ambition and budget.

These kinds of youth at odds with society stories really appeal to me. Not that I personally have beef with the government or whatever, nothing that edgy, but every kid gets angry sometimes. It's immediately relatable and addresses very human themes. Tetsuo's given this power which of course allows him to act on these feelings. The psychic stuff is an easy metaphor, and I generally appreciate shit I can think about and interpret in different ways. It's got a powerful message about catharsis through violence, and scenes like towards the end where Tetsuo's desperately calling out to Kaneda while being consumed by whatever the fuck are pretty emotionally poignant. Speaking of Kaneda, he's a great character too. The main cast kicks ass. Being an action movie with little downtime there's a surprising amount of believability to the characters. There's a lot not explicitly stated but you really get a feel for their relationship just through how they behave towards each other. More is communicated through yelling at each other, guns blazing than there ever could be through words alone. There's a ton of passion in the writing, it's got a big heart and it beats loudly.

Incredible art and animation, story was a mess. Read the manga if you want a good story.

One of the most technically impressive anime movies ever made. The story lacks, but the cool 80's cyberpunk setting and animation pulls it through.

Also it should be appreciated as the industry starting point for talented animators like Shinya Ohira.

Ghost in the shell comes pretty close m8

Inuyashaaaaaaa!

Tetsuo's inferiority complex is extremely well done, better than anything I've ever seen.

I would say yes. You kind of forget that everything started with a gang of bikers.

You haven't seen Redline?

Also is it true this movie was animated mostly on ones? That sounds fucking insane if true.

Why is the bike a low rider?

I enjoyed it when i was a teen, i enjoy it now as an adult.

Just like GITS, I continue enjoying it for the rest of my life, by putting my fingers in my ears and pretending Hollywood isnt raping another one of my nostalgias for a quick buck.

I'm pretty sure Otomo based this on Kanye's "Power"

Right? It's fantastic. I keep hearing over and over that, oh, the story sucks, read the manga, it's a mess, nothing but a pretty face. Can't help but feel everyone's just parroting what they've heard.

First real anime I ever saw back on VHS in the early 1990s. I still have the original poster which is worth something now.

A masterpiece of animation and design. A hell of a lot of work went into it. The story isn't so great but it's not bad.

If you're an anime fan you should watch it just because it's part of the reason you even give a fuck about anime in the first place.

Also >there will never be another character with a jacket as cool as Kanedas

You should watch this 2 minute video on Akira youtube.com/watch?v=BBAJdtPVnZc

Saw it when I was around 6 years old and proceeded to love anime and bikes for the rest of my life. It turned me into the man I am today.

Great animation, but I didn't understand it at all. Watched it years ago when I was still new to anime, may have to give it another shot.

>you only see a tiny portion of a great background for 6 seconds
>this is a good thing
I can't fucking stand pretentious film school student analysis. That's not some stroke of brilliance, that's a waste of assets.

First time I watched it was in a cinema, a double bill with Ghost in the Shell.
I really should watch it again.

I'd kill to see it on the big screen, that'd be so cool.

DOOOOOOO
DAAAAAAAA
DOOOOOOO
DAAAAAAAA

Evangelion has an easier to follow story.

Do you actually think so? I had trouble the first time I watched Akira eight or so years ago but watching it again now shows it's pretty straight forward. There's a lot that's open to interpretation, but nothing in the way of obscured plot details like in Evangelion. Not that either are at all bad, two of my favourite things. Evangelion is very demanding though, I had to read the wiki a lot.

Overrated as fuck.
Was still neat though.

When I watch Evangelion, I know what the fuck is going on for the most part. In Akira, especially the end, I have no clue.

>We will never get a faithful adaptation of the manga as a 12-25 episode series.
>We will never have the glorious sound track expanded upon.
>We will never have the beauty that is whats his names fucking art style.
I cant remember his fucking name but we all know and love him.
Stink Bomb was his best work no joke.

>People were researching ESP
>Accidentally crossed the existential boundary and created a god child
>Japan got nuked for nearly killing everybody
>God child was vivisected to the point he was just nerves in jars (sealed away in the manga)
>Japan kept right going with the research despite being nuked
>Kaneda and Tetsuo are childhood friends
>Tetsuo can't take banter and goes insane after awakening his ESP potential
>Is on track to become the next Apocalyptic god child until he escapes
>Can't handle the overwhelming power he possesses
>Yada yada stuff happens, Tetsuo gets injured but his body requires immense energy to heal so he regenerates into a Satanic meat baby
>Akira comes back from across the existentialist boundary
>Takes Tetsuo and the ugly children back with him

Tetsuo's power takes control of his body and consumes him, the children resurrect Akira who then creates a new universe for them since they're all basically god-type beings now.

>Takes control of his body.
Well sorta right, as he generates more energy the cells in his body grow and compensate like a fat person eating to much. His body just goes out of control because his cells are growing to fast and he can no longer retain his form.

The manga was far more creepy, even if he controls himself if Akira starts honing his power it resonates with Tetsuo.

An absolute audiovisual treat. Though the manga has a much better plot, the movie is still a fantastic watch.

Redline was okay, but a racing film really needed more racing