What's wrong with traditional fantasy?

Why Japanese audience needs gimmicks into fantasy?

Is not enough with a group of characters departing on a quest?

Shingeki no Bahamut could be something you could look into, it kind of loses its shine by the latter half but it's an amazing adventure for the first.

Seconding this, the premise and characters were really cool. What are the news for the next season ? I thought it was supposed to air soon

It seems to be solely for fantasy genre. I cannot think of anything where the character gets reborn in anything besides fantasy.

Because it's hard to self-insert if a neet japanese otaku doesn't get transported to the fantasy world.

>Is not enough with a group of characters departing on a quest?
Overdone. They get bored.

Fun thing they "got bored" because if you don't count the parodies or pseudoparodies, there is not much old school fantasy anime.

I guess if you count vidya adaptations there is more but a "group of characters departing on a quest?" overdone in japanese media? Hell no

It's getting made. Keep in mind that for the first season it was +9 months between the 1st PV and it airing.
Meanwhile the midquel manga starts in just over a week.

There are traditional fantasy shows every season, this season has 5 of them and only 2 isekai shows, both are from last season.

Because more people play World of Warcraft than Dungeons & Dragons these days. Get over it, nerd.

Shingeki No Bahamut, Akatsuki No Yona and Helck are pretty great recent traditional fantasies.

Most anime fantasies are basically D&D adventures, though.

>traditional fantasy shows every season, this season has 5

What?

Arslan
Berserk
Zestiria

Which are the other 2?

>isekai
Protagonist is transported straight to the other world, he adventures for the novelty/escapism of it, he's also relatable and acts japanese

>traditional fantasy
Protagonist has lived in the world their whole life, they need an actual reason to go adventure, plus they act differently to their world's customs

It's a big difference, isekai is basically the low hanging fruit currently.

>fantasyfag elitism
>Your fantasyshit is the wrong kind of fantasyshit!
You people are hilarious.

Seisen Cerberus is pure simple fantasy and is also hilariously retarded

>looses its shine
i thought it was great series all around

so you can only make anime about things people already know

someone's finally (slowly)translated most of the Ruin Explorers manga. I think there's only one or two chapters to go.

It was, but the first half was much better than the second.

I miss non cynical non self aware non WINK TO THE CAMERA fantasy.

First volume was published in Europe. but something weird happened with the second, i thought it didn't even existed.

Yeah I think the guy doing the translations is actually working off an Italian release

Of those you listed Arslan is barely fantasy and Zestiria is a fantasy of Japanese breed. I wouldn't even list them.

>What's wrong with traditional fantasy?
cheat abilities and harems

At least we have the new Berserk, right guys?

Because then you can't have a bunch of interchangeable female characters that fans can fight over on message boards. Also you can't have otaku who have no other life skills but mmo and game mechanics self insert.

Its easier to stick to mmos because you don't really have to have worldbuilding, you just have tropes that are easily grasped for the audience.

>fantasy I don't like isn't fantasy
Oh I love guys like you, always going on on about semantics as if they matter.

have you seen Tears to Tiara op

I remember we talked about it a lot when it was airing.

I miss that

What do you mean? There's lots. Try reading something.

Not that guy but is Arslan really fantasy just because it's fictional?

Arslan is more a period war piece that sometimes maybe remembers there's a wizard than fantasy adventure

Fantasy is a bit of a hard term to use for a genre anyways though. I think what OP really wants is more the DnD sword and sorcery stuff

Monster Collection is far too obscure for these people and they want to be spoonfed instead of looking for stuff on their own.

There's plenty of traditional Japanese fantasy, you're just talking about western fantasy. And it's obvious why western fantasy doesn't get that much attention... it's fucking western.

Ozanari Dungeon is really good you fags should read it.

>dat feel when literally the longest running fantasy series by a single author in existence is Japanese and only got its prologue animated

I'd compare it to Berserk's Golden Age arc getting animated, but that's really not comparable to scope in how expansive Guin Saga is.

That's the stuff that always tends to get made, yes. You think it's a coincidence that OP posted a tabletop RPG campaign reworked into an LN/anime series? That's what was trendy back then. I bet in the 90s there were people complaining about D&D ruining their traditional fantasy, too.

>filename

Are there non-garbage scans for this somewhere? I remember passing over it because the only ones I found were absolutely unacceptable and had only the top half of some pages and shit.

Tears to Tiara was kinda all over the place honestly.

Isn't Guin Saga only a 6 volume manga?

Or is the original source the novel?

> he adventures for the novelty/escapism of it
This has nothing to do with the actual plot device of isekai transportation, though, it's just another trendy thing that happens to go along with isekai at the moment. You can very easily have a character transported to another world and then forced by necessity to fight/adventure, and it's been done many times in both Western and Japanese stuff.

Original source is the novels.

Looks fine to me.

Japanese fantasy doesn't really have it's own identity like western fantasy though, it's always people with 21st century morals and trendy clothes plopped into an idealised world with tropes stolen from the west.

Huh, I googled that and found various perfectly fine sources, so maybe I was just being retarded when I looked the first time. Thanks.

>Isekai
>Harem
>Still manages to be awesome

ya'll niggs need to get on El Hazard

I looked it up and the Guin Saga novel series' status is
>133 Volumes (Incomplete due to author's death)
What a bummer to read 133 novels only to never find out the ending.

Monster Collection is so great, it's in my top 3 of all time. I love Itoh Sei.

eh, the troubles of adapting a video game. I thought it was mostly pretty solid, save for the occasional exposition dump. Decent story, likable characters. All I really ask for.

Morgan best girl

All of these mentioned fantasy manga tend to really,really short. How can you really enjoy an adventure if it's less than 10 volumes?

>Kemono Dokuborisugoidutsu will never ever be translated

It's done, there's just a TON of epilogue because fans wanted it obviously.

I don't understand how you people can reply to OP, that post made no goddamn sense.

Because fuck pointless filler, being long for the sake of being long is retarded and is how we end up with shit like the current Berserk.

I think that it's a bigger problem to make shit longer than it needs to be.

Ruin Explorers is my absolute favorite and it's only 4 episodes and the manga not even 10 chapters.

proper writing and charaterzation goes a long way

>wants to be spoonfed instead of looking for stuff on their own
>implying that's a bad thing

So what? Isn't that the most efficient way of finding good stuff to read? Or should I click the fantasy genre and just start mindlessly reading hundreds of works until I find the right one.

Filler is bad but I can't really care about the characters in a short manga. A manga like Bambino with about 160~ chapters is the perfect length, although that's my favourite manga of all time so I'm a bit biased.

>less than 10 volumes
>really, really short
Nigger, do you only read battle shounen or something?

Tower of Druaga?

Yes, asking to be spoonfed and then complaining about a lack of the stuff you refuse to look for is absolutely retarded.

>Or should I click the fantasy genre and just start mindlessly reading hundreds of works until I find the right one.
If you actually like fantasy, then there's not a "right one," there should be plenty of right ones, and you should know tags/genres to narrow it down and be able to at least get some sort of idea, by glancing at a summary with those tags, of whether you might like a given thing. So yes, in short, you should do that - put in search terms that you like, and grab something that interests you. This is how you find good media in general, beyond the stuff that every random faggot already knows about.

>I plan on getting married you see.

>Filler is bad but I can't really care about the characters in a short manga.

that seems more like a YOU issue and also a serious problem

Arslan is fantasy its just they kept the level low in at first, but magic its already there if you forgot, the shadow teleport guys and the mist in the very first battle.

Arslan is kind of Game of Thrones, it starts about politics and wars but eventually is inserting the fantasy elements.

You're approaching it all wrong. The quickest way of finding something good from Sup Forums (or any website for that matter) isn't to ask to be spoonfed but actually to post something completely wrong or contentious. People will be vastly more likely to "correct" you with the right anime or whatever than to spoonfed you. Godwin's law I think it's called.

Yes I watched, overall liked it, but some parts were a bit too slow. I also remember it had some really good coreographied battles.

Feels bad man, I have all the scans too.

>So what? Isn't that the most efficient way of finding good stuff to read?
If you're a newfag or crossboarder who hasn't read any of the obvious recommendations, sure. But if you aren't new, then you get more and more likely to need more stuff that won't necessarily be recommended whenever you ask. A search database has vastly more information than the people you're asking for recommendations.

>Godwin's law I think it's called
I'll give you a 6/10 - clever concept, but the joke would work better if I could think of any reason someone would want to be spoonfed the meaning for Godwin's law.

Anyone ever seen Kōryū Densetsu Villgust?

I had to dig for shit to read on my own, not my fault you're too damned lazy to do the same.

Gimmicks are fun.

Rokka no Yuusha was very surprisingly good.
I expected nothing but the anime blew me away in more ways than one.

El Hazard was good because they travel to another world, and then explore that world, that's what adventure is about.

The premise about going to a different world is not a problem at all, the difference is if you use it as a mere premise (starting point) or as a cheap method to carry your narrative.

hell yeah I did. Even played the game

Agreed, To many LN's set up a goal but then proceed to faff around with harem hijinks for a dozen or so volumes before they even pretend to get moving.

El Hazard had an actual plot they acted upon. It wasn't some cheap platform for lazy Dragon quest jokes

Transported/reincaranetd to another world thing is convenient plot device so nips use it.
>it's easier to present information about the setting for the audience
>MC has some knowlege about technology, science and shit so author can put some bullshit and excuse it that way
>it's easier to write self-insert character because he was otaku shot and started form zero in another world

Tell me a bit more about it without spoiling too much.

Japan can't imitate it for shit.

What pisses me off is when the setting is European but all of the names are in jap.

This is just your autism, honestly. It's an irrelevant setting detail in a literal fantasy world.

I think that's because how LN and WN work, they need to catch fast because what matters is to sell lot of the first volumes (or catch lot of people when starting a new novel) so they trend to make large infodumbs at he beginning to catch the people with the setting, probably in lot of cases they don't even have an actual plot in mid, you catch readers whith the premise and that's why it ends this way.

Same happened with magical school academies, each one of them are actually its own thing, as further they progress more different are between them, but at the beginning they are exactly the same thing, and why? Because they catch the eye of the readers with the beginning and once they have done that is when they can start to think in what to do with the series.

The industry is no more about making a book and see if someone wants to publish, is to get the readers first, through WN normally, and then write the book.

Seirei no Moribito
Dragon quest dai no bouken FLY (the manga)
Saiunkoku Monogatari
the calssic: Slayers & Berserk

Biggest problem it that most LNs are literally fan fiction quality material that people are consuming regardless because there's just so much demand for that particular format.

A group of high school kids and their teacher receive amazing powers when they get transported to the magical world of El Hazard.

The main character Makoto however finds that he is a dead ringer for the missing princess Fatora and must now impersonate her as he quests to find the Elemental priestesses to aid their kingdom in the war against the Bugrom army, now led by the former student council president Jinnai as they both race to awaken the demon god Ifurita as mysterious powers move in the shadows

This show was just boring to me. Way overrated.

I understand it's a business and they have to sell product fast but I just can't believe that even the Japanese don't look at how samey all this shit is.

>it's easier to present information about the setting for the audience
I actually prefer it when I don't know what the fuck is going on but all the characters do. It demands that you pay attention and makes repeat watches worthwhile. Unfortunately it's rare in anime, because it's easier to give the protagonist amnesia or make them a Japanese highschooler and then bombard the audience with lazy exposition.

Those are arguments that I heard often but honestly most part of the time I think is something they don't really require.

Present information from the setting? They can have a dumb villager main character

Bullshit Asspulls? They can make that with magic like always, don't need to bring science.

May be self-insertion is the key but I really don't think being provided with a so specific scenario (neet virgin who dies and is reincarnatet) makes nuch difference from self inserting in a ramdom generic adventurer. If something I think selfinserting in some random kid is more easy than selfinserting in that detailed scenario.

Anyway, I think is just more a fashion choice, not something they really "need". I guess in time it will fade like the battle school harems fade (there were a lot and now is barely one each season)

Plenty of them do. Those ones don't read LNs, and they move on their lives.

let's be honest how much use is a 2nd year HS science education really going to be in a new world?

Not very. It worked in Connecticut Yankee because the main character there was an adult who worked in manufacturing in the past.

He was? I swear I watched a movie once where he was a kid.

that was Twain's original draft

>2nd year HS science education really going to be in a new world?

It could actually be really gambreaking, just telling people in middle ages how alcohol helps desinfecting would make a great chance.

However it wouldn't serve for anything at all, not because is not much, compared with people in medieval times current highschoolers know A LOT, not because it wasn't useful, their knowledge would be certainly useful, but because no one would give a fuck, you know bacteries exist? They will just laugh at your face or burn you alive for heretic

yeah but the thing is a lot of the fantasy worlds are pretty... I guess "Clean" would be the best way to describe them.

Really they just seem more like rural communities more than the actual middle ages. They even plumbing a lot of the time and healing magic really renders the whole infection thing moot.

>Anyway, I think is just more a fashion choice, not something they really "need". I guess in time it will fade like the battle school harems fade (there were a lot and now is barely one each season)

I agree that it's same as battle school harems in a few years it will change and some other things will be flooding us every season.

Unfortunately this days it's rare not to get everything said straight to face. I prefer to have some basic info about world and then learn about things with characters.

>let's be honest how much use is a 2nd year HS science education really going to be in a new world?

Not much if you want to go on an adventure and fight dragons but you can make a printing press or something and start your own buissnes

>you can make a printing press or something and start your own buissnes
Knowing about a thing doesn't mean you can recreate it. I doubt most people would have the first clue about how to make a printing press, especially without modern manufacturing.

There was a game? Aw shit. Translated? What console?

>Knowing about a thing doesn't mean you can recreate it.
This. Just take a look around you and think to yourself, "How many of these things can I reproduce, or know how to reproduce, by myself?" Chances are it's close to zero.

It was a game first. On the Super nintendo.

The anime was better

I would recommend this as well if anyone wants an old fashioned adventure anime. Not only does it look great, it has no spineless nip MC and more importantly, no Isekai.

You can make some metal bars with letters on them and some wooden desk with a way to put pressure on paper it shouldn't be that hard.

But is right doing things yourself would be hard so you will need to find someone to work with.