Is it too late to stop peak oil?

General Information:

peakoilbarrel.com/what-is-peak-oil/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

What can be done about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.journal-neo.org/2015/10/09/oh-oil-where-is-thy-peak/
oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Are-Oil-Wells-Recharging-Themselves.html
newshub.co.nz/home/world/2016/11/humans-dont-have-10-years-left-thanks-to-climate-change---scientist.html
fractionalflow.com/
archive.4plebs.org/_/search/boards/pol.x/subject/Knowledge Bomb/username/anonymous5/tripcode/!!9O2tecpDHQ6/
youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What can be done about it?

Innovation brought forth by the marketplace.
This is why Peak Oil Catastrophe will never happen large-scale, and is also why global warming will never be a large-scale catastrophe.

It's been peak oil for 15 years, OP. They keep finding more oil reserves.

Global demand is still growing tho, you retard. Agriculture is the main consumer, until you have electric combines and farm equipment demand will continue to grow.

m.journal-neo.org/2015/10/09/oh-oil-where-is-thy-peak/

" How oil is ‘born’

The accepted oil industry explanation holds that oil is a finite resource, a so-called fossil fuel, biological in origin, that was created hundreds of millions of years ago by the death of dinosaurs whose detritis by some yet-unidentified physical process transformed into hydrocarbons. The claim is that concentrated biological detritis somehow sank deep into the earth—the world’s deepest oil drillling in Russia’s Sakhalin region, drilled by Exxon, is more than 12 kilometers deep. There it supposedly flowed into underground pockets they call reservoirs. Others say also algae and tree leaves and other biological decayed matter added to the process.

In the 1950s a group of Soviet scientists was tasked with making the USSR self-sufficient in oil and gas as the Cold War heated up. The first step in their research was to critically investigate all known scientific literature on origins of hydrocarbons. As they looked closely at the so-called fossil fuel theory of oil, they were amazed how unscientific it was. One physicist estimated that for the huge oil that has come out of one giant well, Ghawar, in Saudi Arabia, it would require a block of dead dinosaurs, assuming 100% conversion of meat and bone to oil, that would reach 19 miles wide, deep and high. They soon looked for other explanations for the birth of oil."

They made exhaustive tests in the deep-earth research labs in Moscow of the Soviet military. They developed the brilliant hypothesis that oil was constantly being created deep in the bowels of the Earth below the mantle. It pushes upward towards the surface passing through beds of various elements such as ferrite. They did repeated laboratory experiments producing hydrocarbons under tempetrature and pressure imitating that in the mantle. These migration channels, as the Soviet scientists termed them, were fissures in the mantle caused over millions of years under the expanding of the earth and forced by the enormous temperatures and pressures inside the mantle. The path the initial methane gas takes upwards towards the surface determines whether it emerges and collects as oil or as gas, as coal, as bitumen as in Canada’s Athabasca Tar Sands, or even as diamonds which are also hydrocarbons. The Russian and Ukrainian scientists also discovered, not surprisingly, that every giant oilfield was “self-replentishing,” that is new oil or gas is being constantly pushed up from inside the mantle via the faults or migration channels to replace oil withdrawn. Old oilwells across Russia that were pumped far beyond their natural full rate during the end of the Soviet era when maximum production was considered highest priority, were then shut, considered exhausted. Twenty years later, according to Russian geophysicists I have spoken with, those “depleted” wells are being reopened and, lo and behold, completely refilled with new oil.

The Russians have tested their hypothesis to the present day, though with little support until now from their own government, whose oil companies perhaps feared that a glut of new oil would collapse oil prices. In the west, the last thing Exxon or other Anglo-American oil majors wanted was to lose their (once) iron grip on the world oil market. They had no interest in a theory that would contradict their Peak Oil theory.

Fossil fuels are primarily dead plants, not animals.

shut up fag

I am not a homosexual.

Peak oil? Are you from the 70s? Who uses this phrase anymore?

I do.

It's fertilizer you mong.
>hurr durr tractors muh trucks
Kill yourself.

Peak oil is a myth, we won't see it in our lifetimes

fake and gay

>Who uses this phrase anymore?
jews and sheiks

abiotic oil is not meme pham

LET IT COLLAPSE, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED!

Hey she was saying something when you talked over her, that's not cool. Don't be a creep. She brought up a good point. Now feel free to continue m'lady.

You're right, but it isn't a real thing either.

no its not you fag, we will run out of oil in about 40-60 years

The trend is moving more toward unconventional oil from shale and tar sands. Renewables are slowly picking up too.

I guess you think decayed plant matter made all the methane in the solar system too right? I bet there was a whole bunch of decayed plant matter on Titan, for example.

Yeah until barrels of oil cost $1,000 per and then we suddenly find another hundred billion barrels we can pump for that price.

>believing peak oil meme
>believing jewish lies about using up all our resources

oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Are-Oil-Wells-Recharging-Themselves.html

Ask the UK, Mexico about peak oil.

Its much worse than that.
newshub.co.nz/home/world/2016/11/humans-dont-have-10-years-left-thanks-to-climate-change---scientist.html

>Guy McPherson, a biology professor at the University of Arizona, says the human destruction of our own habitat is leading towards the world's sixth mass extinction.

>Instead of fighting, he says we should just embrace it and live life while we can.

>"It's locked down, it's been locked in for a long time - we're in the midst of our sixth mass extinction," he told Paul Henry on Thursday.

>Prof McPherson's comments come just days after Climate Change Issues Minister Paula Bennett appointed a 10-strong team to advise the Government on how New Zealand can adapt to climate change.

>But if the visiting professor is right, it could all be a waste of time.

>"I can't imagine there will be a human on the planet in 10 years," he says.

>"We don't have 10 years. The problem is when I give a number like that, people think it's going to be business as usual until nine years [and] 364 days."

>He says part of the reason he's given up while other scientists fight on is because they're looking at individual parts, such as methane emissions and the melting ice in the Arctic, instead of the entire picture.

>"We're heading for a temperature within that span that is at or near the highest temperature experienced on Earth in the last 2 billion years."

>Instead of trying to fix the climate, Prof McPherson says we should focus on living while we can.

>"I encourage people to pursue excellence, to pursue love, to pursue what they love to do. I don't think these are crazy ideas, actually - and I also encourage people to remain calm because nothing is under control, certainly not under our control anyway."

This.

Somehow people are perfectly agreeable with the notion that there are lakes of methane on other planets, but all our hydrocarbons are from plants and animals???

Dumb af

Hey, I'm not a scientist, but neither are you. Methane can be made quite easily actually, but oil and coal are different things and more convenient than producing energy from scratch. Despite the effects of climate change, we have to keep dumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to keep our economy going. We can't just shit are way into a green future, but it is definitely possible in the long term. Especially when you consider the new electric energy that is being produce through advance processes such a turbine power and solar osmosis. It is a lot of work, but we owe it to our children to make as green of a planet as possible. Coal and Oil need to die, but methane can stay since it is a more efficient way to heat are cars and drive out homes into a future we want to live in. For as a wise man once said " A fool builds in house upon the sand" and that is where we are building our home if we drill for oil in the tar sands of Canada, which will be what we are doing if we continue on the path to peak oil. Do you want to build your child's house upon the sand, user?

They aren't recharging fast enough though.

Off topic but interesting info here:
fractionalflow.com/

(((WE)))

>Despite the effects of climate change, we have to keep dumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to keep our economy going.
CO2 doesnt cause climate change retard

We dont need oil

We can extract energy directly from the vacuum of spacetime (which has infinite energy btw).

Could you possibly cram more cancer into one post? And who the fuck avatarfags Kurt Cobain?

Why should anything be done about it?

>We can extract energy directly from the vacuum of spacetime (which has infinite energy btw).

What is conservation of mass energy?

I don't know, who?

Concept literally invented in the 1950s.

Stuck in the same stupid Malthusian logic that technology won't advance to change the game.

... OK

Hey she was saying something when you talked over her, that's not cool. Don't be a creep. She brought up a good point

Oil is not rare, it relates to lava and the earths plates.Oil is outdated at this point but a necessary evil.

[KB thread archives(take the time to read all OP's): archive.4plebs.org/_/search/boards/pol.x/subject/Knowledge Bomb/username/anonymous5/tripcode/!!9O2tecpDHQ6/ ]

Rare earth elements are far more valuable and controlling them can control the future development of technology.

Turbines dont do shit. They are a fucking meme to funnel money and government funds to rich kikes for more expensive, less reliable energy that has huge installation and upkeep costs (relative to what they produce in return) and kill hundreds of thousands of birds and wildlife every year. Thats not taking into account how hideous they are and how they fucking ruin the horizon nor the sound and noise if they build them near towns.

And your battery joke "green" technology? Those tesla batteries take over 10 years before they offset the carbon footprint of their production. That doesnt factor in the recharging of the batteries (electricty from coal, oil, etc). Just the actual physical creation of the battery itself. Real clean energy there.

Cobain posting.. peak oil

Oil kills more birds than solar.

The predictions in the 70s have been shown to be completely wrong, but then again they also thought we were about to enter a new ice age/mini ice age.the price of oil still looms large for our future though. Electric cars just haven't proven themselves yet.hell the vast majority of electricity still comes from sources like coal or natural gas.

>regular and diesel are both $2.99 right now
>talking about this with merit

>Expresses lack of knowledge...
quite fitting for a pleb poster

The main use for oil is fuel for transportation.
youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8

We have the tech to produce synthetic 1:1 replacements for liquid fuels made from oil. This will also allow a full nuclear electric grid without any need to have overnight low or no demand periods.

But we also have access to massive amounts of shale and heavy oil thanks to both fracking and SAGD tech.

>Oil kills more birds than solar.
But less than wind power and far less than cats.

There are no such thing as an isolated system.

You can't make steel without coal you dumb fuck. You can't have a car (or any modern transportation) without steel Hydrocarbons aren't going anywhere,. You've been sold a fucking lie.

But the bigger lie is that coal was formed during the carboniferous period because somehow the soil organisms that break down plant matter somehow didn't exist for some reason so we better 'go green'.

KYS and die

Why aren't people making some plans to wean ourselves off of oil?

Is it really that expensive to switch over to something more environmentally friendly and modern?

There's no such thing as infinite mass

>Why aren't people making some plans to wean ourselves off of oil?

Why don't you make a plan to wean yourself off water?

I've seen you're mother and I'd beg to differ

*your

Nice contribution to science you have there

Yes there is... the universe is a fractal... infinite division = infinite mass.

If the universe has an infinite mass
And gravity is a unipolar attractive force proportional to mass.

Then why is the universe expanding?

You can't make steel without carbon. Coal just happens to be a handy source of carbon. You can also pull the dredges of the last bit of unrefined oil which is mostly just carbon out of refineries. as your carbon source. Although that tends to be contaminated with sulfur even from sweet oil.

You can get carbon for steel from any carbon source. It also not that big of a carbon demand for steel less than 2% by mass. We consume vastly more carbon in every other use than in steel production. Coal was classically used because it doubled as the heat source. Electric arc has been common for over 100+ years so coal as a fuel is sorta a side point.

You think I'm gonna read all that?

>russians discover abiotic oil
>whenever a well runs dry it will just magically replenish itself
>doesn't stop them from crashing into peak oil around 1988-89
explain this

>explain this

Doesn't know what the collapse of the soviet union was

>falling for the peak oil maymay

top kek

You moron. If oil supply runs low, price increases. If price increases there is free market incentive to find an alternative that is cheaper. Emphasis on runs low, because the world will never run out. At some point in the future, all the easily extractable oil will be depleted, and what remains will become uneconomically viable to get to.

It's the free market that will find an alternative that works. Without free market input, you get retarded ideas that don't work, like wind power, or fucking solar roads.

Do you actually thing the entire world will just sit there and say, "welp, that's it, no more oil. I guess we will just stop literally everything and starve to death because food can't be harvested and transported"

Top amen

negro, iz u dum?

it collapsed because they ran out of cheap oil

No, user. I just worry about our children. Do not care about your children?

>it collapsed because they ran out of cheap oil

>unironically thinking communism can evaluate the cost of anything
>2017

WEW LAD

Are you fucking retarded?

Peak oil ended years ago.

The universe is expanding and contracting

If the universe had an infinite amount of matter it would be a single point

when referring to 'cheap' or 'expensive' oil it should always be inferred that one is speaking on the ratio of energy returned on energy invested. the eroei if you will. they ran out of the high eroei oil

Won't synthetic oil gradually become more viable? If we can figure out how to make it cheaply, I could still drive my muscle car.
>captcha WORLD INFERNO
oh fuck

oil production could decline for other reasons than using electric power...

Probably because there are bigger things out there pulling the universe apart

Did you mean sphere?

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, OP, I'm gonna drive 10x as much to get all the cruisin' in I can before muh oil runs out. Fuck you and fuck the planet.

Current tech says about $6 a gallon for jet fuel made on a combat ship at sea. Cheaper energy and larger scaled up industrial scale is projected to drop the cost drastically, maybe $3 a gallon and that's an unlimited fuel source and is also carbon neutral if you care about that.

>eroei
which in case you're wondering is why we need fossil fuels

>Did you mean sphere?
No

>Cheaper energy and larger scaled up industrial scale is projected to drop the cost drastically, maybe $3 a gallon and that's an unlimited fuel source and is also carbon neutral if you care about that.

Uses nuclear fuel to make it. Burning uranium is like burning gold in your reactor. Dumb as shit when there's cheap oil to be had from the ground.

>Energy is a long term problem meme
Have any of you faggots looked up at that big shiny thing you see a few times a year? We have incredible energy sitting right in front of us. Solar is only getting better :)

how can something that exists in reality be a single point though?

>fertilizer
>oil

american edukashun everyone.

The whole point of the argument is that you can't have an infinite amount of mass.

>Uses nuclear fuel to make it. Burning uranium is like burning gold in your reactor. Dumb as shit when there's cheap oil to be had from the ground.
Fast neutron breeder reactors, thorium breeder reactors.

With FNBR you go from burning gold to burning well something that's 4ppm of the Earths crust.
With thorium you are burning an unwanted waste byproduct of the electronics industry.

>Be petro engineer
>See so many comments on abiotic hydrocarbon generation
I really hope nobody believes there's vast reservoirs being generated in the mantle.

Thorium reactors would be neat if anyone actually bothers to build them.

Current reactor designs are just a bomb in a tin.

>I really hope nobody believes there's vast reservoirs being generated in the mantle.

Do you believe there are vast lakes of methane on Titan?

As others have said in this thread, peak oil is a meme. As prices go up it becomes more worth while to look for new ways and new places to extract oil.

The high prices of a few years ago have us fracing and new huge discoveries' in places like Israel and the fuakland islands.

Oil like all natural resources are not infinite, but they should be thought of as non-finite.

>Thorium reactors would be neat if anyone actually bothers to build them.
China is set to have their first test go critical in 2020. Support is building across the world with both pubic and private sector interest.

When China rolls out a factory produced small modular reactor with a full breeder system the EU and USA will take notice.

running out of oil would be like running out of water. It's impossible, it's produced by our planet via abiotic means

Wind is also exempt from the bird killing laws in many places even though they chop them up like a Sunday brunch.

Of course. But I don't think comparing the surface of Titan, moon a significant distance from Earth with a vastly different atmosphere, surface conditions, and geology, is really helpful in arguing for abiotic oil on Earth.

I cant believe anywhere in the west will go for new nuke plants thorium or otherwise. Not after all the bad press as of late.

>Of course. But I don't think comparing the surface of Titan, moon a significant distance from Earth with a vastly different atmosphere, surface conditions, and geology, is really helpful in arguing for abiotic oil on Earth.

So basically hydrocarbons can abiotically exist in great quantities everywhere except earth

And you call yourself a scientist

>Why aren't people making some plans to wean ourselves off of oil?

No modern country could compete if we used the alternatives.

Fuck thats eye opening

You should short every oil company if you are so certain of this theory.

>well who cares that hydrocarbons are obviously formed by geological processes, including on places where nothing has ever lived
>clearly the ones here are dead dinos!

>I do kinda wonder how all that dead plant matter got thousands of feet under the bedrock of the Gulf of Mexico though

The Earth is a giant Fischer-Tropsch machine bro

We will literally never run out of oil