Planetes

Just finished this amazing series and I'm absolutely speechless how such a mundane sounding concept evoke so many emotions out of me. The final 2 episodes had me teared up the entire duration, especially when Ai was bound to a wheelchair and seeing how far Hakim fallen after the van buren incident during the encounter with Nono.

I'm about to read the manga, is it different from the show? What do you think about this series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CmVRuLGs7LU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The manga is even better, but it strays from the anime series.
Read it, you won't regret it.

Also, thread's theme : youtube.com/watch?v=CmVRuLGs7LU

Whenever I heard this song pop up in the show I was on the verge of tears, it really set up the mood for each scene it was in. I gotta give it to Kotaro Nakagawa, the entire ost really drove an already great anime the extra mile.

I wouldn't say the manga's better, just different. Personally, I felt the pacing was a lot better in the anime, and even the anime-original characters get enough characterization to make you care for them.

Both are definitely worth experiencing though.

That's a pretty tall order judging from what I watched but I bet it can deliver, just flipping through the manga and the art is even more breathtaking than the anime

This I didnt know about the anime having original characters. I'm guessing one of them was edel, which I thought was just a typical hard working office lady cliche at first, but after watching that one episode where She meets up with her almost divorced husband and tries to scare him away, because he used her to pimp to other men for cash and got abused by him really made me empathize for her, and showed her motivation on trying her hardest to work her way up. Its weird, I was expecting a more lighthearted SOL judging from the first 2 episodes, but right away it started to get dark and I ended up craving the drama a lot more.

they're both great, so is Vinland Saga.
you should definitely read that too

>Watching a greek dub

Something I never got: the last few episodes and the show as a whole were supposed to be about equal opportunities between countries and abolishing racism right? Because literally all of the third worlders from the main country were allahuh akbars. How am I supposed to feel sympathy for third worlders if they're all trying to blow me up?

You are stupid as hell it was never about that it was about countries getting equal share of space resources the brown people were dooped into propaganda just like with any other terrorist if organization

>テス
>not ツ
I've been pronouncing this wrong the whole time.

The entire idea behind the last arc was, yes, about countries getting equal resources. But each country was getting resources based upon their contributions to the program, and since the third world didn't have any money to give they weren't getting any resources. The terrorist organization was trying to make sure that each country was getting a reasonable amount of resources, thus the theme being about how countries should have equal opportunities.

The show had huge amounts of racial issue shoved in as well. The pajeet got laughed away when he built his big robo just because he was from a third world country. Plus that whole weird thing going on with the two main third worlders.

My main issue is how can I sympathize with them if they were so stupid? It didn't seem justified at any point to me, and I honestly think that Planetes is one of the worst examples of the "tragic villain" trope. They put millions of innocent lives in danger juat for their shitty ideals, bypassing any other more sensible option, like diplomacy.

You've got cause and consequence mixed up, user. The poor countries excluded from the space age and its benefits weren't excluded for creating anti-space terrorists, they had obviously been left behind a long time ago because they lacked the resources to participate and compete in the space race. Hakim's organisation emerged specifically as a protest against the developed world's dominance. The poor countries are primarily fighting themselves, probably due to resource scarcity which the developed world does not experience due to being able to harvest resources in space.

Boring and overrated

Real space anime kino right here

I realize all that user. I don't have a problem with the lore, I have an issue with the characters. I suppose it makes sense that it seems as though they are being used by the terrorist leaders, but they just seem kind of poorly made.

>I literally cannot pay attention for more than 10 minutes

The terrorists aren't meant to be sympathetic. Think about how many died in the moon attacks or would've died if the Von Braun attack wasn't interrupted. You're just meant to understand the basis of their views. You had people like the inventor bloke who was trying to help his country the right way and prepared to put in the hard yards to make it happen. He was meant to be the face of the problem and the relatable figure.

Does the manga touch more on the third world countries? The first episode where all the kids that survived some sort of war that INTO caused wasn't really clear, same with INTO invading Brazil and causing the inventor to get deported back. Its funny that according to wikipedia, that INTO from the anime is actually USA in the manga, wonder what caused that sort of change.

INTO is meant to be a successor to NATO and it's implied that the US doesn't get on so well with Europe anymore.
As far as I recall, most of that stuff was anime original. The anime was a complete reinterpretation of the manga, after all.

The last parts were good, but people seem to forgive or overlook there is a LOT of dumb filler earlier in the series, and honestly I think Hachimaki is dangerously psychologically unbalanced. Ai was the real hero of the story, but I feel like she got short-shrift in the show acknowledging it.

On the contrary, I'd say there were only two "dumb" episodes early on and they still had some decent material in them. Hachimaki is definitely shown to be disturbed during his descent, but there was redemption for him. As for Tanabe, the show did challenge her in some ways, one of them cruel, but she was still given her chance to shine.

Honestly I'd wish that she remained paralyzed and wheelchair bound for life rather than have her recover and even go back to the moon in like a year's time. In my opinion it would of shown how intense her sacrifice was for her ideals and friend's life. The first time you meet her after the incident, it was absolutely mortifying and had me pause to collect myself.

Not bad but definitely overrated by Americlaps because it had a very distinctive American TV show taste, save for some very cringy Japanese cultural moments that actually clashed with the overall tone.
I'm sure that if some American TV network did a live-action adaptation it would be very popular over there.

>save for some very cringy Japanese cultural moments

To me the whole thing is very heavily laced with middle-aged-Japanese-salaryman mindset. The cadence of the show recalls a lot of much older works.

What do you mean by American TV show taste? Not berating you, I'm genuinely curious what you mean about that.

Not him, but there is a Western flavor to the show, due to the multicultural cast, the focus on terrorism, the multinational corporations, etc.

Pretty much the only thing I know where the middle is fantastic but the beginning and end are weak.

Only if you mean "the last episode" by the end. The entire arc with the Van Braum and the moonbase was great.

Yuri was the best guy in the whole series and had the saddest character story

The whole Jupiter mission training / testing arc was amazing. Does anyone have any other examples of space anime done right like that?

not enough pointless twists and wasted episodes and arcs that go nowhere because 8 seasons have already been green-lit and they need to stretch out the drama

I liked how, in the end, even if there was the 2 ships that could save the entire situation, the conflict ended without them doing anything.

I loved the ending though.

I'm still torn on whether I consider Lunar Flying Squirrels worth it for the payoff later on. I really dislike the episode, but I do find what happens to all the characters later on to be quite interesting.

Not him, but the ending left me fucked up for days. I can't remember how long the round-trip to Jupiter was supposed to be, but I think it was seven years. Tanabe's going to be all alone without Hachimaki for seven years? Admittedly, I'm a total sap, but I can't help but feel awful for her.

And what about the kid? You can't even do a proper video-call at that kind of distance: light takes four HOURS to reach Jupiter from the Sun. So their child isn't going to be able to speak to Hachimaki except for video-messages, at best, until they're already about 7 years old. What kind of a father-child relationship is that going to be?

I get that the difficulty of choosing this kind of life was a whole theme, what with the recurring mention of the sailor's wife/someone to be there when they get home, but it's a very visceral reaction. I almost felt like the end was a bit of a tragedy in that way.

I'm feel exactly the same way, I really hated that episode but after hearing from their associate (who's stealing and selling their shit) that they died in the first Van Buren explosion made me do a complete 180 about them. It was a great touch in the epilogue where that one dude former wife visited his grave. Also I want to say that all the minor character arcs were really good, like the family and Nono, although I really wish there were a bit more fleshed out. Seeing them again for brief moments of time was great but felt lacking.

I was honestly hoping that Hachi would quit his dream of going to Jupiter just to stay with Ai. In my opinion it would of been a nice close to his character development of realizing what space really was, and to reconnect from abandoning her throughout the Jupiter training.

That episode was definitely the lowest point of the series.

>I was honestly hoping that Hachi would quit his dream of going to Jupiter just to stay with Ai.
I mean, I was too, but of course I felt kind of shitty about the whole situation because it either involved Hachi giving up his dream or leaving Ai all alone like that.

I think you're right that it would have moved nicely from the realization of what space really was (which I think was my favorite part of the series). It almost feels incomplete when you put it like that.

Count me in your boat as well. They took a stupid episode and made it payoff in such a substantial way. Made you look back at the irreverent childishness of it with a sense of longing for simpler times when you were hit with the harsh cynicism of reality. You die and then your friend sells your shit to get by because you were all dirt poor, but happy for a little while.

It's funny, it seems like nobody really liked that episode the first go-around, but I did. Considering all the shitty things that happened around it and directly involving it, I guess I forgave the wackiness.

I mean, the reason those guys were up there and living together in the first place was because they were shit out of luck and couldn't get a job. They'd all been swindled, really, but they got by in their shitty hovel and kept despair at bay in their own eccentric otaku ways, and by taking comfort in the fact that they were friends with each other. The rescue at the hospital was really their only proud moment.

I think the message was that Hachi can go on the Jupiter mission without losing his humanity and rejecting his friends/family in the process. He will still have a long distance relationship he can go back to. It's not like he is forever gone.

The only part I consider a tragedy is that Ai talks about how she wants to go back into space and then Hachi knocks her up and leaves. I feel like her dream got trampled on just a little bit.

Anyone else think fee was pretty underwritten? Everyone on the ship had a great arc and fee all you learn from her is that she's a heavy smoker, used to work with Dolf, and has a family. I would like to see her relationship with her family in a bit more indepth, maybe have her son have mommy issues since he never sees her, something like that

I thought the same thing. I hear that she goes back to space after her pregnancy in the manga, which made me feel better, but I still agree.

I agree. I also want more Fee because she's so goddamn hot.

Yes, the point was that Hachi, prior to his epiphany, was treating space as a place to escape to. An escape from his lowly job and frustrations in life. But by the show's conclusion, he comes to realize that space isn't just outside Earth's atmosphere, but it encompasses everything, meaning that his pursuit for space shouldn't come at the cost of him burning his bridges back on Earth (friendship, love, family, etc.) and that he needs to learn how to balance them for a healthy life. It also doesn't meant that he needs to abandon the pursuit for outer space altogether either, which is along the lines of what the terrorists were advocating. It's a significant difference in mentality and outlook.

One of the best parts of Planetes is that time doesn't mean much to the characters at the end of the story.

Heh. Space means a lot, time means little. Kinda makes me want to re-watch Voices of a Distant Star.

She reminded me of a tan faye, tomboyish, short hair, smoker, hot tempered, same voice actor, maybe that's what faye future is like after the events of cowboy bebop. Also the English voice acting was really good, its one of those rare times where I prefer it to the original.

It's too fucking slow and padded to be kino.

I wouldn't say I prefer the dub but I do think it's one of the best out there. I'm typically a more lenient sort with dubs though. I don't favor them over original audio but I think there are plenty that you can watch and not miss out on the experience.