Will EVA ever be topped?

Will EVA ever be topped?

No. Next question.

No, now don't ask this question ever again

Will TTGL ever be topped?

Yes, by Evangelion:3.0+1.0.

Just you wait.

No, The chances of that happening are very low.

Yes, if you remake TTGL and remove the second half.

>the hero become a wandering vagabond

I'll give you that until You come to me is on par with Evangelion and EoE.

People just want release at this point cause Rebuild is shit.

Re:zero

no but shinji will

At least start an argument about Rei and Asuka like a normal faggot.

yes

Will Anime studios have as much freedom as Anno did when making it?

If not, NO

Actually Happiness Charge Pretty Cure already dethroned Eva two years ago.

ttgl was topped by fucking gundam wing when it aired.

Evangelion is the most overrated piece of shit I've ever seen

SSY

na, you just have the shittest of tastes. Evangelion was done with the most creative freedom an anime ever had. It's only natural it would be the best the medium could offer.

Ssy is too preachy and one dimensional to top eva. It's also a lot less ambitious and it looks like shit while eva looks great.
Though I think the pacing is a little bit tighter in ssy.

it already has

>it looks like shit while eva looks great.
eh

>people will still talk about evanjellyon in 20 years

Then lets try to ask more of the medium instead of watching mediocre shit and praise it ironically for the memes.
May be then we'll only remember eva as just another push in the right direction.

It's overrated and it's STILL the best
That's how good it is

It's more about talent than freedom. Plenty of shows were were made with full control given to the creators.

like this shit

It's heavily based on an LN. I fail to see creative freedom in that.

Instead of asking more from the medium,I'd rather sit back and enjoy the cartoons, and leave you to your pursuit of something more profound within their realm. Not everything needs to be super interesting or deep or thought provoking or making some sort of statement. All that matters is that it entertains you for a while.

nope

na, you just come to a point where shit like ttgl and klk are plain boring and you need something more sophisticated to enjoy yourself.

baddump tss

yep.

Then go pick up a book.

>he thinks Eva is good because it's DEEP

ok

It already was by KLK.

I know it's cool now to hate on EVA because normalfags are infesting are hobby now but can you try not being a retard sometime?

NGE could be probably be topped only by a an anime original Anno+Ikuhara collabo with a ton of funding. I really hope Anno won't touch EVA again after Final, it would be a waste of time.

TTGL is a very good allegory for human evolution.

meh, it's just the power of will all over again. Boring and trite. It doesn't even have any merit as an allegory as it is way too straight forward and preachy.

And unlike shin sekai yori, which is as preachy and one sided on its message, its characters are portrayed as really dumb and one dimensional people for whom is hard to care. At least shin sekai yori didn't try to manipulate you into caring for one or other character as much as ttgl cheaply did.

It was really boring also, I think I dropped gurren lagann like 4-5 times over the span of 7 years before forcing myself to finish it.

If something is overrated it is gl. It's mediocre fun at best IF run of the mill mecha shows click with you.

I still haven't caught up to the latest episode

when does it get good?

What's so good about EVA? I thought the first episodes were way too periodic (monster of the week) and the later episodes were way too 2deep4u with annoying, tedious editing. The story just dies off and disappears in the last few parts.

I still liked it but I don't think it's at the top of my list.

The entire time I was watching SSY I was waiting for shit to get real but there was never any real "oh shit here we go" moment. I wouldn't say the pacing was great either because we saw Shun become a karma demon for absolutely no reason right after the first time skip. I feel like that was supposed to be one of the moments where the show was really supposed to hit me in a "holy shit" kind of way, but it just made me feel sad and confused.

It was a lot of wasted potential. But you can probably blame the source material for that. It was definitely well made outside of a plot standpoint.

Have you watched EoE? If not watch that or you are missing on quite a lot of stuff.

Personally what I love almost every aspect of the series, but what I really liked about NGE are the editing/direction, the characters and the story.
I think NGE TV has fantastic direction; the way sequences are framed, the visual style, the camera work is generally great, always interesting (and well thought) especially during key moments/events.
I have found very few series that indulges so much on character interactions and I loved that aspect of the it.
The story was really engaging for me and I found it very well executed. By reading the evageeks wiki you come to the realization that the production team invested a lot of time in the story/lore, even though not everything is shown during the series.

The people who love EVA like it for how characters are human. It may sound dumb, but the series resonates a lot more to people who are depressed/lonely/introverts (not because of self inserting though).
There is a pattern, and you clearly see that people who like NGE, also like stuff like Utena, Lain, Penguindrum etc. I think that's because of the way these series treat their characters and their interactions. These kind of themes are the reason for why these series are quite divisive.

When and if you refine your taste you will understand. The way you are now it would just be me trying to explain integration to someone that doesn't even know what a function is.

But in general it has to do with a really strong narrative with loads of thematic depth, a plot that is just the right amount of unorthodox and convoluted while still coming tightly together, spiced up with varied, well animated action set pieces full of tension and consequences for the characters Plus the direction is stellar and just enhances all of the above tenfold or rather make it what it is.

>Penguindrum
I think it's up its own ass with the symbolism.

Don't agree at all. Things got disgustingly real increasingly, and if you don't find the extreme brainwashing they did, nor how fucked up everything was and how extremely hopeless things seemed to be, then you must be one of the viewers who don't understand anything but brute force melodrama.

It's far, far worse than NGE.

I found both Penguindrum and Utena a bit up their own ass with the symbolism, and that's why I don't think they are at the same level of NGE.
Nonetheless I consider both to be very good.

Well in Utena I could at least discern what was a symbol and what actually happened. In PD it was really had to tell if something was supposed to be symbolic of it it really happened.

I completely agree.
I'm reluctant about watching Yuri Kuma because I read it's even worse on that aspect.
Is it any good?

It's great but it might be too deep for you.

After watching the Utena movie I don't think anything can surprise me.
As long as it's good I'll give it a try.

Just like you heard it's shit. And considering how ikuhara got worse I never watched it. So that other user is probably full of it.

>it's shit
>never saw it though
mmhmm

It's not like I couldn't possibly have read coherent arguments that support that thesis or anything

I LOVE Eva to bits, really I do

But I don't get this topic
how will it be topped? In it's genre? In animation in general? In storytelling?
Like I said, I fucking love it, but it's only best in an extremely niche genre; deep depressive mecha show.

Re:zero comes close to it

>Wings of Honneamise
Literally the greatest anime film of all time. A truly beautiful and ambitious film, tastefully done and with a good message.

>Gunbuster
>Nadia
>Evangelion
>FLCL
>Gurren Lagann
All bullshit that panders to waifufags with no standards.

What happened to Gainax?

What the heavenly fuck is wrong with you

Of course.

Fuck off with that garbage trash

I really enjoyed the 'cinematography' and animation of the fights and all that. I found the religious symbolism to be heavy-handed - it was shoved in everywhere but religion didn't seem to play any part in any of the character's lives.

My main gripe is how in the end the story is completely washed away in favour of a series of completely esoteric episodes without completing the story that has been developing before. I think the series would've been better off if they could have had the existential crises discussed through narrative instead of endless, (in my opinion) mostly boring and predictable inner dialogue.

That said, I will definitely grant you that in terms of characters (with the exception of the timid-but-sometimes-badass stereotypical pathetic MC), NGE is alot stronger than almost all other anime.

It's obviously meant as "will it ever be topped by another work of art/fiction". Keep up with the pretension user.

What the fuck is wrong with you, not recognising the low quality bait pasta.

>1997+19
>not knowing the religious symbolism in Eva is just there to set the atmosphere
Do you even know what the narrative of NGE is? Did you not watch EoE?

Well, folks judge NGE differently depending if they consider the series alone or TV+EoE.

I really liked the TV ending too, but I saw it knowing that I still would have needed to watch EoE. I don't know how I would have judged it in 1996, with no EoE on sight.

Gainax did they best they could on the last two episodes, and it's their fault for burning through the budget and having no schedule/plan.
I feel the TV finale is appropriate, because it still focuses on the most important element of the series, the characters. They could have done a poorly executed version of EoE as a TV finale, but that would have been certainty bad.
The way the TV series ended left Anno the freedom of a grandiose finale, without needing to retcon stuff. I think it was for the best.

No

>just there to set the atmosphere
How someone could deny Evangelion's obvious religious content is astounding to me.

I kind of wish I had watched NGE after I watched all the other anime I've watched so I had something to look forward to

Not him, but I think that what he means is that while EVA has symbolism, it's not the core of the series.
You can't make sense of most Utena and Penguindrum if you take out the symbolism (I'm not bashing them, it's just that symbolism is integral to them), NGE on the other hand still stands with no particular problems.

It was stated by Anno in an interview that the religious stuff is only there to look cool and exotic and the there is no meaning behind it.

He's lying.

Just finished madoka yesterday for the first time.
It was ok but the characters were pretty dumb, the twist predictable, it looked like shit (like really really generic and bland, like if it was a chinese anime knockoff or something) and the plot too shallow.

I think almost everyone who likes NGE wishes he could re-experience what it was like watching it for the first time, especially EoE.
I'm keeping LOTGH for last for that exact reason.

I love Shinji's VA in the original NGE. Underrated performance IMO.

been a year since I saw it, still can't understand the ending. They really screwed the pooch with this one

jobless reincarnaton

Have you watched EoE? If you didn't you are basically missing out the story finale.

My bad it wasn't anno that said that it was assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki. There is a source on the Eva's wikipedia page for the shitposters to choke on.

>The show is to be blamed for my retardation

I think a better question is "Should Eva be topped".

Like the current anime climate being the way it is, I don't think there is currently any need for another Eva

as with music, anime is also about taste,evangelion might have objectively higher producing quality or better written plot with more subtlety, but either way since its entertainment everyone has to choose for themselves what they prefer, for example one might argue that monogatari series is better than evangelion as an anime, or FLCL or Princess Mononoke, hell even LionKing or Berserk

I'm guessing you didn't watch End of Eva did you?

Holy shit am I on youtube? Truisms galore

you can't tell me that every user that argues here is just trolling can you?

That user's saying you're just bringing stuff to the table that happens to be really obvious, meaningless shit that is already apparent.

user le commentateur révolutionnaire

That scream at one point sent shivers down my spine. I don't think anyone would dispute you on that.

if that's so apparent about a third of the posts here, no matter how you look at it don't make any sense whatsoever

i doubt the people in this thread are here just to post memes for jokes and giggles, they are actually argueing without asking for the points they argue on

It's not that they don't make any sense. People are aware of other's preferences, that doesn't mean you have to tolerate that or agree with them. But you seem like someone who needs everything spelled out for you anyway. Sort of surprised you're still alive because you seem like the type that forgets to breathe.

see

this is not discussion, this is not opinionsharing , this doesn't lead anywhere, there are no arguments, and they are not meming or joking, these posts really don't make sense at all if they know

whats with the 1.11, 2.22, and 3.0 and on reboots?

3.0 completely shat the bed and I think it's pretty impossible to turn the tables on it at this point.

There's no way 3.0+1.0 can make up for the all the dumb shit 3.0 introduced. There's still the timeskip, the huge amount of stuff they have to explain like Misato's organization, what happened right after the near-third impact, what Gendo actually wants this time around, etc., the characters still need to be more developed, --- which at this point is impossible for Mari, for example -- and a ton more. Just fixing 3.0 would already take maybe half the movie. Then there's still the story of the movie itself that they need to get going and whatnot. I know you're probably not even serious but I wonder what could possibly come out of 3.0+1.0 aside from cool looking action. I'm genuinely interested in hearing some theories, though, if you anons have any.

3.0 was the only rebuild that vaguely felt like Anno.

With End onf Evangelion

EoE is part of NGE

None of the rebuilds felt like Anno, user. You can tell they're forcing Tsurumaki to bastardize NGE and then slapping Anno's name on.

While I can see why EVA is so loved I thought it had some flaws, pacing wasn't always great, the sci-fi elements were dull at times and the major theme, although clever, wasn't that interesting to me.

Still, I haven't seen an anime that topped it yet.

Although I do agree with this, is "feeling like Anno" good enough of an excuse to completely change the course of the series halfway through? The Rebuilds felt more like a different version of Evangelion with characters that somehow resembled the original ones, and I think they should have just stuck with that.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate, user?

Eva left me with one understanding
Asuka's a miserable cunt and even if I understand the why of it, I'd still punch her right in the mouth

I'd punch you right into a grave you butthurt baby bitch. Fuck off you irrate nu-male.

Pretty much. Rebellion > PMMM > EoE > EVA