Scanlation Thread

What manga are you typesetting/translating/ripping?

Have time to help?
tinyurl com/ScanlationBulletin

Need help on anything related to scanlation or want to request scanlation? Post here.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/jjjp7cwu6mg1qqf/Foundation.zip
dropbox.com/sh/qvdbciyj46m4wz5/AAALkWiiuaBfD9KxrURdMeUca?dl=0
haruka-yumenoato.net/bbs/1468173164/l50).
mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=33507)
toranoana.jp/mailorder/ebk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If I get a smaller laptop than the one I have now, how much will I regret not having the extra space while editing?

Get a external monitor? I have my laptop plugged to a larger screen when at home.

No, I haven't. My current one is 15 inches, I'm thinking of getting a 13 for portability but I'm really used to having the extra screen space.
If I get an external then people will be able to see what I'm doing.

Not much, in my experience. I think it's easy to adapt. I have trouble typing on tiny keyboards though, so I have to bring my mech for that.

bump for interest

I'm looking for a manga to translate. SoL RomCom is what I've mostly done, but I'm trying to get into more mature manga.

I have a soft spot for historical things like Otoyomegatari, Emma, Gisele Alain, and Vinland Saga, but it's been a challenge finding something worth translating.

It doesn't have to be a more mature manga, btw. Any suggestions greatly appreciated all the same. (Checked OP's link already btw)

How about Aku no Kyouten? I think the old group dropped it.

Kind of a long shot, but maybe Ryuma no Gagou? It jumps around through a lot of time periods, so not really "historical" but there's a lot of historical variety.
I've heard the author's things can be a bitch to translate though, supposedly he makes up his own kanji sometimes.

Is it normal to lose sharpness after straightening an image?

I recently just realized this was happening, not sure if it already happened with my past edits. Now I'm kind of thinking not to straighten less obvious crooked pages so they won't lose quality.

Yes, if you're doing things at a low resolution it's much more obvious. You can just sharpen it a bit to make up for it, but the difference shouldn't even be noticeable once it's cleaned.

I don't think anyone has done the Foundation manga yet despite being ripped for ages. mediafire.com/download/jjjp7cwu6mg1qqf/Foundation.zip

I'll check out Foundation.
The premise for the other two don't quite do it for me.

Thanks!

Decided to translate all of the Horimiya volume extras v2-9. Might take a while translation to edit to release since I'm doing it in tandem with everything else I have.

How the fuck do I get gold labels in はるか? Just put 自炊 in the description and hope a mod sees it?

Also is there a new popular manga download site yet? I'm doing something but we're not an actual group so I can only upload to online readers. I'd like to have download links too somewhere.

Use the goddess.

So basically there's no working around this? Sharpening it usually makes cleaning harder so I don't think that will be an efficient solution.

But casuals can't access it. I was looking for something more mainstream.

Rotating is a destructive action, so the only way around it would be to scan it straight in the first place. I've never had it be a noticable issue at all though, maybe your scans aren't at a high enough resolution?

It really is mainstream at this point, sadly.

Just put a site. What does it matter if it's not an actual group.

Biorg Trinity will never be fully translate (In English)...

And nothing of value was lost.

I'm currently launching new team, not in english though.
Someone can spare me some time and give me a link to a compilation of typesetting fonts ?

I had to change my computer since the last time I did typeset.

here:
dropbox.com/sh/qvdbciyj46m4wz5/AAALkWiiuaBfD9KxrURdMeUca?dl=0

Nonsense user

Stop fucking posting this in every thread you go to, you dumb tripfag. It's garbage, anyway.

>tfw the series you're doing gets licensed
Is dropping it the right and moral thing to do?

Yes, but you'll still have most of the internet bitching about it. I just don't see the point in wasting my time if something I do gets licensed, it'll have a translation if I do literally nothing so why bother?

Well if you like the series you'll still be months ahead of the licensee and so still have all the readers.

It's really not worth the effort in my opinion. If other people don't want to pay for an official translation, that's not my problem.

Well from a moral perspective I suppose you're right. Guess I'll drop it then and endure the wave of analpain since the series is quite popular.

Well, to be perfectly honest, me being lazy is more of the reason than morals, although it does free up time to work on other series.
Which one is it you're dropping?

Lewd maou dungeon building adventures, first licensed volume is going to drop fairly soon.

Might just do one more chapter to announce the dropping though.

Oh, that? You could probably keep doing it if you really wanted to, 7Cs doesn't really send out DMCAs from what I've heard.

Not sure what kind of licensing companies you're dealing with, but the one's I've seen are shit, so no. They jump on the popularity created by scanlators, then harass them into dropping and deleting everything from day one, and then they take months to release anything at all and years to catch up.

Most of the time somebody's going to try and continue, and it's always shitty half assed groups that pull out terrible releases. Might as well just continue what you started.

Often licenses only do damage too. They wipe off whatever fanbase the author had overseas with the slow and hard to acquire releases so their popularity dies. Groups become hesitant about picking up other series from the same author as well. I've seen so many nice authors go by noticed because their first introduction into the west was a digital license. Nobody knows who they are so they don't bother buying it.

The only time I've ever seen a license do good, or rather not do any damage, was when the author/series was extremely popular in the first place. So popular that not even a license can stop scanlators from working, so nothing changes.

I hate licensing companies.

Yeah they don't, they in fact said so directly to me on plebbit, but the duplicated effort and moral ambiguity is still there. This way I'll have more time for my nukige TL dreams too.

Having a western fanbase that does fuckall to support the series isn't "doing good," selling copies is. Literally the only way a license could "do damage" to a series is if it's somehow so disastrous it damages the author's reputation back in Japan and cuts sales there.

This. The typical fan isn't going to import jap raws so as far as the mangaka is concerned, they're getting zero bucks out of it while official releases at least put back a couple of bucks back.

I've had a few series get picked up by Vertical and dropped those, and Yen Press picked up two I worked on but both of those were long after I finished/dropped them. I'm not sure if they'd have gone after me if I kept doing any of them, but figured it wasn't worth the risk.

I'm not talking about the author, I'm talking about the readers and fans. They're the ones who get fucked thanks to the license when a series and author they liked disappears.

The raws for Maou go online >for free anyway though so acquiring raws consists of putting the niconico link into OMD. Also Seven Seas don't seem to DMCA and seem almost like nice people from what little interaction I had with them which increased the guilt.

>Might as well just continue what you started.

Yeah, but the mango just reached the end of the first LN so thought it'd be about a good place to drop it if I would and let the licensee do the rest.

>I'm not talking about the author, I'm talking about the readers and fans
Okay, I misunderstood what you said before, but that just makes it matter even less. If a reader doesn't want to fork over some cash to get an official product and support the author, then literally no one, not the author or the licensing company, gives a shit about them.

Yes, and?

They're the ones who are getting it for free anyway. It's not like their obliged to getting it in the first place. Claiming that they get fucked sounds entitled as fuck.

Nobody wants to fork out cash, not even me. I buy shit because I like it, not because I want to feel good about supporting the author.
Readers read things because they like it, if it stops being free most stop reading.
My point isn't to create a paying fanabse for the author, it's to share something that I think is cool with other people and generate discussion. Author getting money from them is just a plus.

I guess I'm talking more from a scanlator point of view. It just bothers me to see a fanbase for something nice die out.

Nice feelings don't bring meals to the table. If you really care about the works, you need to be able to put your money where your mouth is since by the end of the day, it's what supports the artists. It's not even about feeling good; there's a very pragmatic reasoning behind it - if the artist can make a living out of it, they're more likely to be able to continue putting out more works for the fans.

Sales from licenses are tiny and irrelevant. What's giving the author money, popularity, and more work are domestic sales. Gaijins don't affect their future.
But then again I'm talking about niche BL licenses, I don't know if popular licenses like things from jump have any effect. But those keep getting scanlated anyway so it doesn't matter.

>Sales from licenses are tiny and irrelevant
And your source is? They're obviously profitable enough to convince the Japanese publishers that they're worthwhile business strategies.

Tiny amount of money is still better than no money.

>Gaijins don't affect their future.
Which once again leads back to the point that it sounds entitled as fuck for fans getting shit for free to claim that they're getting fucked because of official releases.

Anybody knows how to flatten the paper texture like pic related?
(From the left pic to the right pic)

But it's obvious. That's why they only jump on popular titles and don't do physical prints except for rare occasions when there's lots of demand. I've seen them complain about money issues before too. Everybody knows BL licenses are hit or miss, and it usually ends in miss.

That tiny amount isn't their main source of income and isn't expanding their career so the argument doesn't hold up.
It's me who's claiming that, not the fans. Fans just deal with it.

Surface Blur.

Looks like it was just Topaz'd with clone tool for the crinkles.

>Fans just deal with it.
As they should. So again, 'them getting fucked' means fucking nothing.

Complaining about official releases is stupid.
Deal with that too.

Put 初出 and 自炊 in the description you will upload then left message 初出 and URL in the here(haruka-yumenoato.net/bbs/1468173164/l50).
You will get the gold label to your file when the mods make sure that it is the first manga in はるか.

The point was whenever you should let them deal with it or not. I think not, because them getting fucked does bother me.
In the end it depends on whenever you want to please the fans or the licensing company. You're free to do as you wish, but when it comes to me I'd rather please the former.

Licensers in the end are still a form of scanlator group, albeit run by a company. Would you be mad if another group hijacked a scan you were doing?

Thanks bro.

What do you mean by hijacked? If they released it before I did?
No, that's my problem for being too slow.

>Licensers in the end are still a form of scanlator group, albeit run by a company.
And with actual, legal right to do what they do.

Out of curiosity, how many series are you scanlating and how long have you been scanlating?

Three at the moment. I'm not sure, it's been a couple years of irregular activity now. I'm not particularly committed to one group.

There's an interested translator in Batoto, contact him.

MEANDTHEDEVILBLUESJESUSFUCKINGCHRIST

I do because of what said.
If it gets dropped by said company though, I would go back to it if people ask.

Doesn't have much to do with scanlation but it does have to do with translation. What would be a simple site or blog to dump translations with support to upload images along the text? All platforms I checked either had too many options or some kind of ads.

I'm buying the magazine it's in for another series so I've got raws if anyone wants to translate them, but I think the group is waiting for volumes and that's going to be along wait because it's getting like 15 pages every two or three months.

Tumblr.

Proof of said interested translator.

Yes, yes, yes.

Fuck Illuminati for being so bizarrely decentralized. Like, they could be so much faster and better, but they choose to be disorganized out of their fucking minds. It's screwed the English-only world out of a lot of content that they would otherwise be able to read.

The part that really irks me more than anything about them is that they'll say they're working on a project like Devil Blues, but will have released two chapters in over a year. That is *not* working on a project, that's hibernation at absolute best.

I see
Thanks

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐EVERYBODY IS BUTTHURT⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

bump

This that yuri manga with the delinquent-ish girl and the bookish girl? I keep thinking that's finished and it gets another chapter.

Topaz. But clearly whoever edited the right image does not know how to properly make an image cleaner. My god, was he taught how to destroy details?

OP here, and yes, it's that manga. And unfortunately, yes, it is finished.

This time for real? I'm fine with that, just wish I could see more from the author.

The screencap I posted is a page from the second chapter that I edited. Consider Chapter 3.5 as the final one.

aah, I see

miserably short, but mostly satisfying

Editor is the choke-point, it already has a TL and 600dpi scans.

If an editor wants to help, go volunteer.

Share me your proper way.

Nah, too much work to prove my point. Were you the guy who did the right one?

>tfw a series you just started to look up got revived about a week ago

Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan, hopefully they don't take forever between chapters, though each one is monthly long iirc.

No, just curious on how to cleaning the texture without using surface blur.

Again, it's not surface blur but Topaz Clean. Maybe surface blur was used after Topaz because the image now looks extremely blurred. My best guess would probably a very strong Topaz Clean preset.

My way of cleaning it would have been to remove the creases and level it properly. A super light Topaz DeNoise filter would also be nice, but not so strong as to destroy the details of the image (DeNoise rarely does, unlike Clean)

Official licensed releases only usually come out in a certain region, the US or UK. The rest of us all over the world that don't have a sizable scanlation scene in our native languages unlike the spanish, french, chinese etc also rely on your work.

Re-translate Joan (mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=33507) because the already available one is riddled with jpg-artefacts to the point where you can barely make out the art. There are public raws for it which (pic related), while not HQ, is leagues beyond the atrocious quality of the english scans.

user, Kyoko chan's done. Final volume's already released

Can anyone help with toranoana ebook ripping?
Had account ready for testing
toranoana.jp/mailorder/ebk/

Am I dreaming or somebody is doing patlabor?

Why not just re-typeset?

I kind of want to re-do some chapters of a manga I dropped months ago, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I doubt that I would find a proofreader who would want to help.

Unless it is really shit don't waste time on this shit

Any site would really do. Blogger, wordpress, tumblr. I'd say tumblr as it comes up easier when searched. What is it you're going to translate, by the way?

In any case, nobody owns any series and the only people that has any legal ownership is the Japs and the licensing company. There's nothing you can do if another groups starts translating the same thing.

Any typesetters here who like slim vertical text bubbles? If we had one more typesetter for our group we'd be a lot faster.

Autism recommended.

#[email protected]

Imma start typesetting deathtopia 58 in a couple hours

Admin asked me to redraw for that series... years ago.

Post examples user

Just advising any anons that buy Viz digital on the Viz site, that you get better quality scans from other sites. Kobo, for example, is 1400x2100 and easier to rip.