Yoshihiro Togashi x Masashi Kishimoto Interview

yonkouprod.com/yoshihiro-togashi-x-masashi-kishimoto-interview/

>In the latest issue of Shonen Jump GIGA, (formerly Shonen Jump Next!!), The magazine published a creators cross talk between authors Masashi Kishimoto and Yoshihiro Togashi known for their work on Naruto and Hunter x Hunter respectively. The two authors go in depth about the intricacies of creating manga whilst also answering some fan submitted questions. Below is a summary featuring highlights from their 9 page long exchange.

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2015/.88770
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Togashi sometimes specifies his characters’ names based on TV show. He thinks it is not an issue since Akira Toriyama’s characters’ names are also sloppy such as Bulma and Trunks.
Kishimoto was scolded by his audience when he specified his characters’ names based on adjectives such as “Darui”, “Omoi” and “Karui”.

>Togashi keeps it in mind that he should make a specific personality of a character rather than just “he has a bright personality”. For example, he specifies “when” his character gets pissed off.

>Kishimoto specifies his characters’ weak points, which enables his audience to feel sympathy toward him/her.

>Togashi thinks it is hard to draw special ability based battle manga such as Hunter x Hunter and Naruto these days since audience consider characters’ abilities in details and sometimes end up finding its contradictions.

>Togashi decides to make many characters appear in Black Whale arc since he’d like to know what will happen in a chaotic situation. He refers to Oda, who also introduced many characters in one arc (probably implying Marineford Arc).

>Togashi decides to make many characters appear in Black Whale arc since he’d like to know what will happen in a chaotic situation.
Oh Togashi.

>Togashi thinks it is important to read many mangas/novels to draw a good manga. He also says that they should read/watch it again and again until they can completely assimilate it.

>He says that those who want to become a good mangaka should also read and analyze mangas he doesn’t like.

>Kishimoto reads his favorite mangas/films again and again such as “Akira”, “Ghost in the Shell”, “The Usual Suspects”, “Forrest Gump” and “Little Miss Sunshine”.
>Togashi’s favorite film is “Alien”, but the film he watches most frequently is “Prince of Darkness” by John Carpenter. He also likes “28 Days Later”.

>Question from sandman@APForums (which was selected as a fan question):
>Which do you like better, drawing or making a story?

>Togashi says those who want to become mangaka should focus on making a good story rather than drawing since their drawing skills automatically improve if they make a debut as a weekly mangaka.

>Togashi warns that those who love pure fantasy video game such as Medieval Europe in which sword and magic are drawn tend to fail to attract audience.

That's kinda silly I think.Quality issues aside,they're rather popular.Plus all the ISEKAI craze going on.WSM has two flagships wih such themes even.

>Togashi is impressed at Kishimoto’s drawings since they are well-composed despite the deadlines every week.

>Kishimoto is exhausted due to Naruto, so he doesn’t want to draw anything for the time being.

>Kishimoto thinks it is important whether or not his audience can feel sympathy toward characters in manga. For example, Naruto didn’t have parents and friends. Protagonist suffering just because Dark King is strong is not a good idea.

>Togashi warns that those who love pure fantasy video game such as Medieval Europe in which sword and magic are drawn tend to fail to attract audience.

>When Togashi was a boy, it was not until his teacher submitted his drawing to an art exhibition that he realized he was good at drawing. Kishimoto had the similar experience when he was in an elementary school.

>Masashi Kishimoto
Its shit and you should feel bad for making this thread.

That sounds like a really bad translation.

>Togashi is impressed at Hayao Miyazaki’s great drawing skill of clothes fluttering.

>Togashi has many things he wants to draw. He didn’t imagine the serialization of Hunter x Hunter has lasted so long.

>Kishimoto is now preparing for his next manga. He has been collecting materials. He didn’t let his editor know about it so far. >Kishimoto says he’d like to announce something about it in 2016.

>Togashi wants to draw a card battle manga like Yu-Gi-Oh after he finishes Hunter Hunter although he already drew it in Greed Island arc.

>Togashi didn’t specify the finale of the dodgeball game in Greed Island arc at the beginning. He believes the chapter in which Hisoka lost and survived were convincing due to his gum ability.

>Togashi is impressed at Hirohiko Araki’s drawing skill and great storytelling.

>After Togashi was about to get tendinitis, he specified the design of the clothes of Zodiacs and his assistants dew them.

>Togashi says that manga begginer tends to think it is important to draw realistically, but actually it is not a big issue and he says it is more important for the audience to grasp what is going on.

>Togashi says another himself scolds him “You can draw better than this.” while he is drawing.

>Togashi advises those who want to become mangaka to replicate.

I'll kill myself later.

>Togashi didn’t intend to make Hiei into Yusuke’s friend in “Yu Yu Hakusho”. It was due to advice from his editor. >Togashi laughs and says if he intended to do so from the beginning, Hiei wouldn’t have been full of eyes.

>Togashi loves “Reiko the Zombie Shop” by Rei Mikamoto.

>Kishimoto is cheered up by watching the trailer of “DmC Devil May Cry” again and again.

>You can read the full interview in Shonen Jump GIGA volume 2.

>Thanks to sandman over at APForums.

Fin.

>No hiatus end announcement
Well, this was pointless.

Looking forward to the full interview, I'm always really interested in what Togashi has to say. I see he confirmed he's using assistants now, and he wants to keep drawing. That's good news.

Cool.

Are Togashi and Kishimoto the Miyamoto and Itoi of anime/manga?

I'm glad he's still motivated.

Too bad his back isn't.

>He believes the chapter in which Hisoka lost and survived were convincing due to his gum ability.
Is that what he thinks? Kek.

I always assumed he was, if he really didn't want to do it he'd just quit and definitely not start a big, ambitious arc like DC. Not like he's hurting for money or anything.

>Togashi wants to draw a card battle manga like Yu-Gi-Oh after he finishes Hunter Hunter
Oh fuck yes that would be awesome

I think that thing about Hiring has been known for a while but it's good to hear it straight from the creator

The gum doesn't have to do anything but massage his heart, even human hands can do it.

Togashi really should've been clearer about that instead of going for revival theatrics instead, people actually seem too stupid to understand this.

>assistants

FUCKING FINALLY

>Togashi thinks it's hard to draw
Should have stopped there.

holy shit is this from the new volume?

sounds like he's taking a jab at black clover, which is the only medieval fantasy manga in jump right now

I doubt it, isn't it the case that isekai doesn't actually sell that big, considering how many series there are? It's pretty niche, and anyone aiming for something like Jump will want mainstream appeal. Maybe he's just sick of it like the rest of us and wants to discourage it.

>“Little Miss Sunshine”.
explains how dysfunctional naruto's family is with the new guy

probably watched it and took the message the wrong way

Isekai isn't even technically the same as a traditional swords and sorcery series. Slayers would be pretty different if Lina was actually some chick from the real world trapped in a different one.

remote and automatic Nen is a thing, but maybe it is really hard to master.

Ging used it on the cassette back then to protect and erase the tape.
Kakin's ancestors used it to create Nen's beasts for their descendants.
And a lot of shit on GI were remote and automatic Nen too.

Yup.

I like how all of the big name Shonen Jump authors seem to be pretty polite, admiring, and friendly with each other. Unless it's Kubo. No one gives a shit about Kubo.

Especially with how much stuff Kishi ripped off from HxH

>>Kishimoto is cheered up by watching the trailer of “DmC Devil May Cry” again and again.

Why?

Especially since it's the worst game in the series.

Well all the big authors ripped off Dragon Ball and Toriyama don't give a shit

>Kishimoto is cheered up by watching the trailer of “DmC Devil May Cry” again and again.
What fucking shit taste. As expected of him.

Why do you make shit up?

Kubo is fine with many of the authors in jump

Shit taste

Kishi and Togashi confirmed for great taste in movies.

That Marineford comment by Togashi, does that mean Kurapika is really gonna die like Ace in OP?

He's already dead.

>Togashi wants to draw a card battle manga like Yu-Gi-Oh after he finishes Hunter Hunter

So never since we'll all be dead before HxH finishes.

No

He is gonna ask Hirohiko about the secret of his eternal youth.

His upcoming work is definitely gonna be monthly, i dont think he will be insane enough in making it weekly.

>Togashi is impressed at Hirohiko Araki’s drawing skill and great storytelling
This just made my day, considering HxH and JoJo are both among my favorite manga this is awesome.

I wonder if it'd be more like YGO, and people standing around smashing their monsters into each other, or more like Greed Island, and the cards effect the environment and the players. It's very strange to hear, not just the genre but also makes you wonder how long does HxH have left until it finishes up. Surely it's got at least 3 more arcs to go?

I always figured he had a lot of respect for Araki, there are a lot of Jojo influences in HxH.

Because its likely so bad its funny

you nimrods. He didn't say it was good.

Togashi said he had 3-4 arcs left in mind after CA.
1. Election
2. Black Whale Arc(Togashi considers this an arc)
3. DC arc
4. Gyro/Meteor City(?)

What about Battle Olympia?

And viceversa, Jolyne string powers were inspired by Machis nen threads.

I wonder if Togashi is gonna repay the favor and make Machi as creative as Jolyne, if so then Hisoka will be completely fucked.

Chrollo using the same strategy that he used vs Hisoka, he could actually kill Pika.

Force him to use Chain Jail on one of Chrollos puppets, and GG.

>He believes the chapter in which Hisoka lost and survived were convincing due to his gum ability.
he can fuck off, why doesn't every nen user use some bullshit contract whenever they feel like then

>After Togashi was about to get tendinitis, he specified the design of the clothes of Zodiacs and his assistants dew them.

Togashi should just do this all the time

I remember something about the troupe members all having an extra ability that they keep secret from each other, so Machi could have something else up her sleeve

t. speedreader

Nen affected by emotions.

>Togashi says another himself scolds him “You can draw better than this.” while he is drawing.

Evidently, he isn't yelling hard enough.

So what happened to Togashi trying to improve his health so he can draw more?

Is the option still open for him to write and someone else to draw for him? He can still do cover pages and color pages if he wants.

i feel like kurapika wont die until the very end, the 4 will probably travel together in the new continent before then

>Hisoka chose this over Machi

There isn't a wrong choice here.

>“Prince of Darkness” by John Carpenter
Come on Togashi, that movie was shit.

Same here, plus a good mangaka should be able to recognize another.

Obviously. Many manga authors start out as assistants of others, and they make connections along the way. Oda and Kishimoto are good friends, and Sorachi seems like a chill guy.

>>Togashi thinks it is hard to draw special ability based battle manga such as Hunter x Hunter and Naruto these days since audience consider characters’ abilities in details and sometimes end up finding its contradictions.
O Muh Rubber Nen

Didn't NNT beat One Piece in sales one time?

>Implying ANYTHING can beat One Piece in sales

Bleach, definitely. Maaaaybe Naruto. But not One Piece.

>Hisoka has good taste

>>Togashi thinks it is hard to draw special ability based battle manga such as Hunter x Hunter and Naruto these days since audience consider characters’ abilities in details and sometimes end up finding its contradictions.

Why make power levels if you can't handle how autistic your fans will get about them?

I want to kill that thief.

For such a genius mangaka Togashi has really bad taste in films and manga.

I want to steal that thief's heart.

Machi also chose this so it's not exactly surprising.

Someone beat you to i.

Yep
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2015/.88770

Togashi doesn't know shit

Hisoka and Machi have good taste.

Wait, that's wrong. I liked her tired looks better.

Don't really care about Togashi.

They should've made another interview with Kishimoto and Samura with Kishi fanboying over Samura

>one manga is successful therefor the genre is successful
It doesn't work that way, son.

>oda and kishimoto
>togashi and kishimoto
>oda and toriyama
Is Kubo the most hated mangaka in WSJ?

Maybe that's because he isn't a genius.

>Jolyne string powers were inspired by Machis nen threads.
did he actually say that because that sounds like a reach.

He doesn't write powerlevels, strategic fights have the same issue. Any sort of fight or ability will be analyzed to the last detail for any sort of inconsistency. Chrollo vs Hisoka was so complex and 2ch still managed to nitpick it so thoroughly that they came up with an in depth alternate theory about what was actually happening. If it's true then it was a ridiculously clever fight but if not, they exposed a bunch of mistakes.

After re-reading HxH through the dump threads, he absolutely is. Some of the finest page composition and writing in any series ever.

I read that one and man it's actually pretty sad in some things

>Kishimoto: Hopefully something that isn’t too long, anyway. (laugh) I’d like to do something that wraps up within ten volumes or so.

>Samura: I don’t imagine Jump will be too willing to let you do that. (laugh) I’d like to read a ten-volume series by you, though. Any thoughts on what it would be about?

>Kishimoto: Hmm, well, I’d like to avoid doing anything like Naruto… but something like Naruto is what the readers want. I did a short piece about the mafia before, but people wrote back that they went into it excited for some sort of superpowers to appear, but they never did.

>Samura: Jump is pretty light on its feet, though — like, they’ll let you give something a try, and if it doesn’t work out they’ll axe it after one volume and it’s onto the next series. I personally would like to see you try making something a little different next time rather than going for another giant hit.

Honestly he should leave JUMP.

I agree. It fits a stressed mother who knows her child is going to die.

Fuck Jump

You're not talking about the 6 millions vs 1 theory, are you?

>they exposed a bunch of mistakes.
How?

This is a shoop of a Berserk face.

I really hope you're baiting.

>Kishimoto: Exactly — I was surprised by just how much people outside of Japan liked ninjas. Although, even overseas, there’s… well, I’ve seen reviews of Naruto by people abroad, and one of them was this guy who really hates it. So I was watching this video on YouTube or something of him sitting there talking, and the wall behind him is just covered in Blade of the Immortal posters. (laugh) Wish I could brag to that guy that I’m talking one-on-one with his beloved Samura now. (laugh)

Wow Kishi actually watches youtube "ecelebs".

Man Kishi looks really fucking young, he's 41

Well Japanese don't really know how cancerous those guys can be, even less mangaka that don't get that much exposure(especially a guy that worked 15 years nonstop).

>Wish I could brag to that guy that I’m talking one-on-one with his beloved Samura now. (laugh)
Nice bantz there though

>DmC Devil May Cry

>>Kishimoto: Hmm, well, I’d like to avoid doing anything like Naruto… but something like Naruto is what the readers want. I did a short piece about the mafia before, but people wrote back that they went into it excited for some sort of superpowers to appear, but they never did

I liked Mario.

"Guys, stop analyzing my logic! Stop bullying me about how things don't make sense!"

I hope Togashi makes Chrollo abuse Kurapika. Mentally. Physically. Sexually.