Why is it that when an edgy entry into a genre that is not normally considered edgy, it's called a deconstruction?

Why is it that when an edgy entry into a genre that is not normally considered edgy, it's called a deconstruction?

>Hunter X Hunter
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
>Re:Zero

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=32JJ7O65nm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>what's a deconstruction

taking the cliched and stereotyped traits of a particular genre, feigning an introduction to these elements, and subsequently pulling the curtain.

>First 14 episodes of Evangelion

If you think about it Dragon Ball deconstructed the bloody and serious Hokuto-esque 80s shounen when left the edginess behind.

And this is Re:Zero?

It parodies the "NEET MC whos a total loser in real life gets transported to alternate world and is now super cool and powerful". It only really began breaking off from a parody and turning into a deconstruction around the beginning of the third arc.

Hunter x Hunter, Re:Zero and Evangelion can't be considered edgy.

To be considered edgy you need to have a total misanthropic view of humanity, humans are always presented in a negative light.

Those shows shows both the negative and positive sides of humans, and as far as I know the heartwarming moments stand out the most for being the most powerful.

An example of an edgy anime/manga is Gantz, with its completely negative view of humanity, or Deadman Wonderland, a cheap gore thrill.

All the so called edgy moments in Re Zero, Hunter x Hunter or Evangelion pay off with heartwarming moments sooner or later.

The Chimera Ant Arc, with it's gloomy and creepy atmosphere, the massacres, heroes almost turning into villains, ends with a mother accepting her mutated daughter.

Evangelion ends up with Shinji rejecting instrumentality, because he believes in humanity.

I won't spoil Re:Zero, but the change attitude other characters have towards Subaru later on is something really worth seeing.

In conclusion, none of the three series you mentioned are edgy, because they always end with hope destroying despair.

Exactly what is RE zero a deconstruction of OP?

Isekai.

I agree it's a parody but that's it.

i like you.

Wait, how is Hunter X Hunter a deconstruction?

It's not. It's absolute garbage I got tricked into watching and after I watched 20 fucking episodes people were still saying "wait for a few more it gets good soon lmao".

>An example of an edgy anime/manga is Gantz, with its completely negative view of humanity, or Deadman Wonderland, a cheap gore thrill.

You also forgor Akame ga Kill.

How is Gantz a completely negative view of humanity when Katou exist? Not only that, but through the serie they meet much more people with the same ideals of surviving together, even Kurono had a whole change of heart and got a new whole respect for life and humanity, by your same standards, Gantz is not edgy, it can't be edgy when it have such an horrible setting while it show you that there are genuinely good people trying to do their best to live.

Would you call Re:Zero a parody of the Isekai genre?

Yes, things like Nidome no Yuusha sure are deconstructions.

His shit that he's pulling out of his ass to seem intellectual.

Literally not until Gon-san/Komugi/Meruem in Chimera Ant. I suppose Yorknew is enough of a departure from a normal shonen arc structure that it counts too.

Nah, it's honestly pretty generic as stuff goes, there's a whole sub-set of edgy isekai nonsense the only difference being this one actually got animated.

>"NEET MC whos a total loser in real life gets transported to alternate world and is now super cool and powerful"

The New World/ Reincarnation genre is so fucking saturated that new stories have no choice but to add twists to the original concept. Whatever the case, the vast majority of them are still based around harem and antics wish fulfillment with the same exact genre and character tropes beyond whatever the "twist" might be. I don't even see how Re:Zero is supposed to be a deconstruction, aside from the rebirth gimmick being its particular twist.

If you want to deconstruct a genre, carry the intent all the way to the end, don't use it as a hook to draw readers into a story that ends up being typical. Like Shield Hero started off a "deconstruction" because it's a Yuusha/ Boukensha story where the MC is hated instead of praised as a hero, but he still ends up being overpowered and adored.

There are no "deconstructions" in silly japanese cartoons

He's retarded. The vast majority of Gantz's story is about Kei evolving from a piece of shit to a hero and a leader. A real human bean.

Besides, edge has nothing to do with your view on humanity. Edgy works are just meant to be avante-garde. They're supposed to break down norms or shock people. Of course, edge is thrown around as a buzzword nowadays which just means "something extremely violent or depressing" with the caveat that it likely has no reasoning for such things.
Akame ga Kill is a definitive edge manga. It relies entirely on shock thrills and "unexpected' twists.

fuck off

Because the TV tropes definition most people use is that a deconstruction puts a realistic spin on tropes, and the fact is that reality is 'edgy' in comparison to idealized fiction.

not an argument

Did you get triggered because someone insulted your little Vietnamese slideshows?

How the fuck do you confuse 'is this a deconstruction?' with 'is this good?'. They aren't synonyms, moron. And you wouldn't know if it's a deconstruction or not since people only say that about an arc that starts 60+ episodes in.

You are based.

Re Cero still had bad writing and direction though but the idea they wanna portray is interesting

Sword Art Online is plenty edgy and it's still not considered deconstructive in the least.

Because it goes as expected until a certain point, then the rug is pulled below your feet.

Shinseiki Evangelion is still the greatest example of such.

Full Definition of deconstruction
: a philosophical or critical method which asserts that meanings, metaphysical constructs, and hierarchical oppositions (as between key terms in a philosophical or literary work) are always rendered unstable by their dependence on ultimately arbitrary signifiers; also : an instance of the use of this method

I always find it weird when people call a show a "deconstruction of a genre". Any genre has far too many tropes to deconstruct them all. Instead, most of those shows ususally described as deconstructions deconstruct some of the most common tropes of the genre. For example, calling Re: Zero a deconstruction of isekai sounds pretty dumb to me, because there is a shitton of isekai tropes. Re: Zero plays most of them straight, and focuses mostly on deconstructing the specific trope of "Otaku loser turned badass".

That definition is outdated as fuck and no one gives a shit about it anymore. Meanings of words change.

>Re: Zero plays most of them straight

Examples?

>With Re: Zero, we see Subaru fail miserably at social interactions
He has a full harem by like episode 5

With who? The demon girls who murder him because they think he's a cultist assassin?

Besides the harem, everything you mentioned konosuba did too; but nobody calls that deconstruction.

>It is a deconstruction because it was contradicting tropes
>tropes

Rem, ram, emilia, puck.

Also that other girl in the library

That's because Konosuba is a satire, not a deconstruction and no Konosuba doesn't do everything I mentioned. Kazuma actually fits in with most of the tropes since he doesn't fail at social interactions or have trouble learning new abilities or even have too much trouble overcoming trials and enemies. Dullahan got his head kicked around like a soccer ball.

I fucking hate how deconstruction has become a mainstay now in the average user's retarded vocabulary ever since Madoka.

And the worst part? Fucking nobody here still knows how to use the word. It has lost all substance as a word to the point that it's old meaning is gone and it's even newer meaning, molded through years of misuse, still drowned in a flood of vague ambiguities.

Puck is not a female nor interested in fucking Subaru. In fact, Puck kills Subaru just like Rem and Ram do. He does eventually make friends with Beatrice eventually (way past ep 5) but she doesn't lust after his dick. It's not a harem if girls aren't lusting after your dick. That early on, only Emilia had any real interest in him and he fucks that up later.

Re: zero isn't a deconstruction. It doesn't play around with tropes in the genre in a meaningful enough way. It succumbs to it's own hyperboles and comes off as annoying.

It's almost like language evolves over time, you fucking moron. The way we use a word literally becomes it's definition in the end.

>The way we use a word literally becomes it's definition in the end.
That just means you're an idiot

"Blue" doesn't become "green" just because you mix up blue with green.

Sounds like excuses used by every other fanboy whenever their shitty show gets accused of being a harem.

If a large majority of people in the world started mixing up blue and green, then yes, "blue" becomes "green".

Yeah and what does deconstruction mean exactly in present Sup Forums during this exact moment? Fucking nothing. Just a substanceless phrase that doesn't mean anything except for when somebody wants to praise a show for being different and intellectual yet is too braindead to conceive proper critique for it.

>female characters literally murder the MC multiple times
>"It's a harem lolz"

You've got some fucked up harems, bro. I don't remember Tenchi having to deal with being killed by the girls he surrounded himself with.

>MC randomly meets sexy girl and they go on an adventure
>Girl falls in love with MC after he helps her once
>MC adjusts to new world instantly
>MC is super talkative and outgoing despite being a NEET

Go back to and don't come back.

Don't forget all the waifu bait/ shipping bait.
Is there any reason this city can't have a king?

Zambot 3 best deconstruction
m.youtube.com/watch?v=32JJ7O65nm0

still no you idiot. Human language and vocabulary do not work with that way

How can one picture be so full of misinformation?

Do you mean it begins deconstructing a trope, only to pull off the very same trope in a different way.

>MC randomly meets sexy girl and they go on an adventure
They spent most of their time together in one location, clown mansion.

>Girl falls in love with MC after he helps her once
He helps Rem on multiple occasions and makes her feel like she isn't worthless

>MC adjusts to new world instantly
This is a joke, yes?

>MC is super talkative and outgoing despite being a NEET
Only thing you got sorta right. Despite how outgoing he is, he's awkward as fuck like someone who lacks social skills but wants to at least try his hand at the game of life.

good lord that's still not an argument you faggot

I'm getting the heebie-jeebies from this.

That's literally how it is in Japanese, though. Green is just a shade of blue to them, just like we see pink as a shade of red.

Jesus Christ I don't even want to know the autist who made this garbage.

Except words like "deconstruction" are invented by academics and have very stringent definitions so everyone knows what you're talking about.
Hence, you don't have needless arguments between two people using the same word differently.

cancer in all sides

This

A deconstruction of isekai would be a fucking essay.

re:zero isnt a deconstruction

its typical otakubait that has the self awareness to admit that NEETs are shit even in a fantasy world

Language evolves through linguistic morphing not through people misunderstanding words and using them incorrectly.

You should have realized by now that Toyota was called a NEET otaku for the sake of calling him a NEET otaku. If I wanted an actual NEET otaku then I'd just go back to watching shit like NHK again or looking in the mirror. ;_;

Exactly.

Re:Zero is same isekai shit, just padded as fuck with cheap drama and suffering. What makes it worse is that none of it feels meaningful because of MC power that allows ultimate handwaving.

>青
>Blue; Green

isekei is already all over the place so it's not like you can really deconstruct it

there are tons where the protag is betrayed by those who summoned him.

tons where the protag is a lazy fuck who just walks around with a harem

tons where the protag wants to go home then all of a sudden doesnt

the genre is a mess pretty much solely due to it growing from the WN scene that has a zero barrier to entry

re:zero parodies some of the common tropes but that's about it.

Only one girl ever actually lusts after Subaru's dick and she gets erased from existence.

Fuck off retard, Re:Zero isn't remotely a harem.

Whether it's deconstruction, parody, or edgy we can all agree it's a piece of shit right?

>and she gets erased from existence
And she comes back the next episode dumbshit

There was something about them being "dragon priestesses" so I guess they have to be female, though they could just as easily have "dragon priests" so yeah, it's just waifu bait.

OH BOY BUDDY YOURE GOING TO BE IN FOR A TWIST

Subaru is a far more interesting and compelling take on the neet otaku MC compared to Satou.
You don't know wthat you're talking about.

>meguca deconstruct mahou shoujo
Nope, magical girls were always about despair and even Sailor Moon was pretty fucking dark at times, I made it that far but apparently there is TTGL later so this entire picture must be just as crazy.

Re Zero is not a deconstruction. The real deconstruction of Isekai is Zero no Tsukaima. The protag was dragged into another world. Instead of becoming a hero where everyone respected him, he became a mere servant of a failing magician and was tortured by that said magician every day.

>Subaru is a far more interesting and compelling take on the neet otaku MC compared to Satou.

NEET/Otaku doesn't necessarily mean you're a Hikkimori. I'm a NEET but I can go out and talk to people just fine. I relate to both Sato and Subaru, but I'm probably more like Subaru than Sato.

Oh boy here we go. This thread is going places.

If you read the WN and up to the lastest arc, you will find that Re Zero is the same old shit.

No she doesn't

It's like you weren't even here when NHK first aired. Sup Forums resonated with that show far more than any other series during its time and even now.

The only reason Toyota seems that way is because he's more of a vague catch-all for general self-loathing, scumbaggery, insecurities, etc. That entire speech he had with Rem during the talking heads episode could have been said by anyone, not just a NEET otaku, and it would have all been the same shit.
>oh I can start my life again from zero xd
The most generic shlock introspection anyone can resonate with because it's that generic.

I've been getting mixed messages here, and I've kinda read kinda up to that part.

>It's like you weren't even here when NHK first aired
Oh user. You should know by now where does assumption will get you.

This
You can't have a critique of hikkis if nothing Daihatsu does is specific to hikkis. Instead it's all just dismissed as "laziness" without any subtlety. The fact that we don't learn anything about his previous life is proof that it's all just lip service.

Also, I'm using the word hikki, be cause that's what Mitsubishi himself says in episode 1

Oh, and just saying "hikkis are bad" is dumb anyway, because they're usually well aware of how shitty they are.

Emilia immediately accepts Subaru's (a total stranger) offer to help find her badge and they go on a small adventure to find it

Subaru only really aided Rem in household chores and said things to cheer her up, right up until the events in the village. It's also worth noting Rem went from not hesitating to kill Subaru to being obsessively in love with him over about a week

Also he hasn't so much as given a thought to the old world after he was isekai'd, literally the first thing he does post isekai is to see if he has any magic or special ability. You'd thing that being teleported out of your old life and into a new world would be a bit more jarring.

Konosuba did it better

I have no idea what any of you are talking about or by comparison. Subaru is character that revolves around people's views to feel self-worth. He masks most of his crap going about the day when he was paying attention while retracing steps, and was revealed to be worried all that time when masking his real emotions before death and broke down his facade by how people really saw him in the mansion arc. He is character that lacks focus and preparation to die when he starts realizing his own position in the matter that it has been increasingly hopeless and caused mainly by him which prevented him from killing himself (that was being unprepared, he was also unprepared in episode 7 until he felt like he mattered by the end, but this recent arc was him realizing he doesn't matter) and wanting to keep seeking people out to acknowledge his pitiful existance (check episode 14 and 15). In truth, Subaru is only a character that wants self-worth and gains it from others, but that desire leads to being egotistical, selfish and essentially self-centered until he realized by episode 18 that he does not matter nor does anyone expect anything from him. That is what he thought until Rem had her view and expectations for him that he will strive to succeed. That's all there is to it. No portrayal of NEET or some other crap (Subaru is not a NEET , anyways, he's just a truant). That's it.

>With two waifus on his dick for no reason and plot power

Then you would know that this is going to end up into some time travel shit.

I hate this kind of genre is because basically the beings that have the power (witches and Fluegel in Re Zero) basically decided everything while mere humans are just their tools.

All Konosuba does is repeat the same tired jokes that got old by it's final episode.