twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I set a card.

It's my turn!

youtu.be/ua_TZ84hmEA?t=20
Meh.

did somebody say duel?

GG.

what the fuck am i watching

it looks like someone winning in one turn by making the opponent draw their entire library with an endless combo

Wish this would happen in the anime.

Special summon meta ruined the game. Even shit like Gladiator Beasts are too overpowered. Was way better back when IOC was the last booster pack released.

>tfw still no card game anime that can top the original YGO

JUST

Reninder that if you play a game that isn't M&W against Atem you still have a 40% chance of winning.

I play Twin Tail Loli in BATORUUU mode

What does pot of greed do?

Cardfight Vanguard did

For a little bit anyway

Bullshit. IoC is what started the power creep. You can't tell me cards like CED or DMoC are were balanced.

>tfw making a playable and consistent petdeck

The original manga + DSoD is card game kino desu

They were balanced for the time, besides CED of course. It was not as easy to get them out as it is today with all the searching, heavy graveyard play, etc. BLS and DMC were good, of course, very good, but nowhere near as abusable.

Yall newfags always forgetting about my boy, too.

also

Because Sorc was actually somewhat balanced. Basically a tuned down version of BLS

And I never said BLS was too bad regardless. Yes he was definitely a lot more powerful than previous monsters, but it didn't completely destroy the meta like CED or DMoC did.

And I don't recall what the banlist was back then, but with cards like Graceful Charity in play, cycling through your deck was still very viable to make Chaos Turbo.

You definitely don't remember well then. Burn decks and mill decks were still around then, even after IOC.

Yes, fucking mill decks were VIABLE. Fucking archfiends were viable. Don Zaloog and DD Warrior Lady were everywhere. IOC brought a lot of great tools, and AST to follow brought a few gems like Enemy Controller although the rest was pretty shit.

the problem with the old format is that it's slow

in fact, very slow. of course, that doesn't mean today's game is any good at all

How old we talking? Late 2004 was pretty fast. Not retard fast like today, but nobody likes how the game is right now. IOC was perfect speed unless you ran into a stall deck or other autistic shit.

2002 was slower, but still much better than what we have today. Also you can always spot a newfag when they call it "1900 beatstick meta".

i thought it was called "summoned skull" meta

also, did the introduction of synchros made the game very fast?

WE SUMMON THE FORBIDDEN ONE!

youtube.com/watch?v=4WG8DrXPrsc

My point being the Chaos archtype dominated the meta with how powerful their effects were. Yata lock was literally an unbeatable three card combo. This is all to say every era of Yugioh has been seriously power creeped. After IoC it was Cybernetic Revolution which introduced free special summons. Hell, the first five or six released boosters continuously power creeped eachother with 1200 atk 4 stars, then 1300, then 1400, and so on.

I'd argue there are two objectively "good" Yugioh formats. Plants and pre DUEA. Each had a few top tier meta decks, but also had a slew of competitive tier 2 or 3 and anti meta decks. Those formats saw the most diversity in play style and allowed for more tailored and skilled play than "net deck the new meta."

IOC was the end of the glory days. I guess you could fit AST in there too, but not many people cared about AST.

By the time plants came out, the game was already long dead. Chaos archtype was strong, but definitely not unbeatable. And it mostly just built about decks already around thanks to MFC.

Chaos control was fun, sure. But at the time it was objectively better than basically everything else. You're honestly looking at this game through nostalgia goggles. Just because DUEA destroyed the previous meta and game pace doesn't mean the game wasn't fun before then. The time between DRuler ban and DUEA was honestly the most fun I've ever had with Yugioh. The variety in decks was insane. HATs, Infernitys, Geargias, Chaos Dragons, Fire Fists, Mermails, Dark Worlds, Frogs, Hunders, Worms, Prophecys, Necrovalley, Hero Beat, Sylvans, Lightsworn, Madolches, Harpies, Bujin, Ghostricks, Blackwings, Plants, Zombies, Fire Kings, Karakuri, Constellars. Basically all of these were viable decks. Name me one other format with this play diversity.

>worms
what type? the mill one? or the xex-and-yagan-with-nebula.dek?

>You're honestly looking at this game through nostalgia goggle
Knew that was coming. No, dude, there were plenty of totally viable decks around at the time. Chaos wasn't some Lightsworn that just came in and dominated everything. And I hesitate to even call it an archtype, it was just a couple really good cards. It was more of a theme. The main archtype around then were Archfiends. This was before every deck had to be some archtype and you were actually able to be creative with your decks, something that new players will never know.

Archtypes exist because if every card was splashable in every deck then any sense of balance would be completely destroyed. That's why different decks are viable these days compared to the first few series of the game where everything could be used with everything, leading to objectively superior deck lists.

Fuck I don't remember. There was a few people I knew that played worms just for the novelty. I know before future fusion got hit it was used a lot to bring out the boss monster.

Just because there are more deck options now, doesn't mean you have more deck options. You are much more constricted now than ever.

Back it wasnt "I need a counter for this, this, this, I must have 3 of these, 2 of these" to the point where you only get 1 or 2 cards to play around with. Your super elemental mecha toad dragons didn't look exactly like your opponents.

I never ran Chaos, and I was winning shit. What's your excuse?

the problem with that is they can be very weak to powercreep and they depend on needing more new support(ex. amazoness)

and since each archetype has it's own gimmick, some are playable, and some are dead, like jinzo.

I'm not arguing for current format, I'm arguing for pre DUEA or post DRulers/Spellbooks.

>Just because there are more deck option now doesn't mean you have more deck options
Are you actually retarded? I listed close to twenty viable builds that could win locals in the 2014 era of YGO. You might not win YCS with all of those, but they were all viable and fun decks.

>Back it wasnt "I need a counter for this, this, this, I must have 3 of these, 2 of these"
Bullshit it wasn't. You needed a counter to Dark Hole, to triple SORL, a way to get past scapegoat spam. you had to be prepared for Jinzo at all times because of how much more common traps were because of the slower paced game. And so on. Yugioh has always been about needing outs to difficult situations, or situations where your deck may be weak to. This isn't a new phenomenon.

>I never ran Chaos, and I was winning shit. What's your excuse?
Locals don't count. I could probably go to my locals with my nerfed to shit Shadoll deck and still win shit.

as a collector im glad this got a reprint

Honestly the game was good in fusion generation, as soon as synchro cards started to appear it broke.

>Bullshit it wasn't. You needed a counter to Dark Hole, to triple SORL, a way to get past scapegoat spam
Sure, you had staples, what's your point? And 3 SORL? What the fuck? Maybe in fucking 2002. Things were not so set in stone besides staples.

You could run Mage Power just for fun, and it was totally viable. United We State. Remember equips? You probably don't.

Sinister Serpent, HFD, Morhping / Cyber Jar. Breaker? Why not. Throw a Spell Canceller in there for good measure. How about a Spirit Reaper, just for fun?

You had lots of fucking options, and they could all work.

POT OF GREED ALLOWS ME TO DRAW TWO MORE CARDS

Literally everything you listed aside from equips was standard in 05/06 format. You're arguing that because Goat control and Chaos control had about a 10 card difference in deck lists that the variety was staggering. By that logic I can claim SoE format had variety because there was Trishula stun Nekroz vs Djinn Nekroz. It's a fucking retarded idea.

Do you expect me to go and list all the cards? You are still stuck in the modern mindset. Archtypes weren't really a thing back then. You had a large pool of cards to pick from that are usable in most decks. Your deck looked very different from your opponents 9 out of 10 times, even if the idea was the same. You didn't need 20 of "x archtype monster" and 15 of "x archtype magic / trap" + 5 staples.

You had your staples, a few cards to build around, and everything else was free game as long as you could make it work.

You're actually retarded aren't you? Everything you're saying is true of any format. You can play anything you want, but it doesn't mean it works.

05 format didn't have archtypes, this is true, every card was basically splashable in everything without restrictions based on archtypes. Because of this there was an objectively best set of cards that you needed to have. Look at literally any tournament that plays using the 05 "GOAT Format," and you'll see how similar the decks all are. I'll admit the amount of utility that those decks had and used made them very skill based, but you simply cannot argue that there was deck diversity at the competitive level.

>You're actually retarded aren't you?
If you keep saying this, do you expect it to become true?

>Everything you're saying is true of any format.
What? This part?
>You didn't need 20 of "x archtype monster" and 15 of "x archtype magic / trap" + 5 staples.
Because that only became true later. That is the current state of the game, unless something had drastically changed in the past year or so, but I really doubt it.

>If you keep saying this, do you expect it to become true?
I'm not trying to make something come true, I'm stating an observation.

>Because that only became true later. That is the current state of the game, unless something had drastically changed in the past year or so, but I really doubt it.
Replace archtype with the tier-0 cards of the format and you have literally every format in Yugiohs history. I've said this in basically every post but you're ignoring me in favor of plugging your ears and crying "MUH ARCHTYPES RUINED YUGIOH!"

>. I've said this in basically every post but you're ignoring me in favor of plugging your ears and crying "MUH ARCHTYPES RUINED YUGIOH!"
You've been ignoring me, or maybe your reading comprehension sucks ass. And by the way, special summon meta ruined yugioh more than archtypes did, but they also contributed to the dumbing down of it.

I'll only say it one last time because you've just flat out ignored it every time (and I am certain you didn't play the game competitively in 2004-2005). People didn't run the same cards. They ran some of the same cards, even in the same decks. They ran the same staples, and had maybe 3-5 cards to use as their base, but the filler cards were very much different because archtypes did not exist. You don't have that kind of flexibility now. There are more decks to choose from, but the cards in the decks are very much set in stone (outside of just a couple personal preference picks).

Too bad it's a staged duel since you need your opponent to use Maxx C and you need to have specific hands.

>you no longer be able to set/summon in defense position

Man, how fucked up this game has become?
It's like even the basic rules slowly get eaten up by meta.

>Kaiba wins the world championship AND also takes the 2nd place
>Yugi.dek nowhere to be seen
LGTSS
>the city of Yugi

ENEMY CONTROLLER!

>tfw your petdeck will always be unplayable because of the banlist and current meta/powercreep

also, i'm curious, why was chicken game/race banned?

I'm not ignoring you, I'm saying you're objectively wrong. Here, take a look at this:
youtube.com/watch?v=EC5xDx2waVI
or this
youtube.com/watch?v=y0r6LzkwcsE
or this
youtube.com/watch?v=iwijm0AmKMo

Look at how similar all of those decks are. That's because 05 had an objectively best set of cards to be used. Your claims about 4-5 "best" cards are closer to 20, which is the same for every deck and has been the same since the game's inception. You're being willfully ignorant of how the IoC/2005/06 format played all in order to push some illusion of a diverse meta that didn't exist.

Luckily, I have this card!
I offer two of my monsters on my field as a tribute!

I summon- Dark Magician

END YOUR TURN, JEAN!