Why can't modern anime do creepy?

After watching the the Jojo OVA's and the 2014 series and realising how different you can make the same story tonally, i got to wondering if its actually possible to make stuff with the same dark, brooding punch with modern digital anime production that was so prevalent in the 80's/90's .

Is it as something as shallow as painted cells and creepy synth soundtracks missing, or, is it that modern directors can't or don't want to?

no it isn't
nobody understands subtlety anymore

Maybe i made this thread at the wrong time.

I saw like one episode of the JoJo OVAs back in 2009, and none of the new anime, but I don't really think JoJo should be creepy.

It was partially the artstyle as well, David went with a more manga-based approach, while the OVA has its own design. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't.

I was talking more about anime in general.

Yes, it's possible. Of course it is. There is nothing logistical about digital animation that makes it impossible to make dark and brooding anime, and I'm not sure how that would even work. That's just not in now - and honestly, it was never really in for TV anime, it was a trend that lived and died with the OVA market.

>>Jojo 90 OAVs
>>subtlety
Get Kira'd

>subtlety
>ever common in anime

there is no market for it since anime consumers have no interest backing any such anime.

so nobody bother trying again after a lot of failures.

horror is better served in real life action anyway for empathy and the shock value

Aku no Hana approach that in some way, and (disregarding AnH) I don't think that's impossible with digital anime: you can do anything cel anime could do. It's just a matter of directors, or rather trends, what sells for producers, a,d what interest creators when the get autonomy (apparently, experimental crazy animations, but not horror).

Nigger, have you ever read or watched JoJo in your life?

That's racist

MODS
O
D
S

I've watched the OVAs before the new series came out, and the drop in quality horrified me so much that I basically dropped it after like two episodes.

I don't like to be the "BETTER BACK IN THE DAYS" guy, but holy shit it's just so much fucking worse in both atmosphere and quality - the final showdown between Jotaro and Dio looks so goddamn stiff and awkward in the new anime, as with in the OVA it was a treat.

>I dropped it after like two episodes
>now let me compare this scene from ~70 episodes in

Also, how have you been around for more than four years and still somehow don't get that TV animation quality and OVA animation quality are different things?

>and atmosphere
Your opinion here is worth less than dried up shit on the sidewalk. Read the manga you fucking retard.

Just watch Funi rips if you want dark and brooding anime

>Is it as something as shallow as painted cells and creepy synth soundtracks missing
That's not shallow at all, it's an audiovisual medium.

>Aku no Hana

The rotoscoping on that just looked awful.

I'm going to be that asshole, but Re:Zero.

>inb4 I stopped reading there

When Re:Zero does creepy it works. The three whales at the very end of last week's episode. The sudden deaths of the characters when the first arc was starting, the atmosphere of the witch when Subaru tries to explain his ability of coming back from death, the ending of episode 15.

Re:Zero's presentation isn't all that bad, it's problems have more to do with the source material being shit.

That's not really the topic though, it was just used as an example.

>Kafka

wait, what?

spooky/gorey stuff is less needed, mo pushes the art form, user

Hardly any anime are going for that these day.

>it was never really in for TV anime
Yu yu Hakusho is the only tv series i can think of that nailed a dark atmosphere.

i haven't read the manga, is it going to be worth watching? just seems rather bland at the moment

But the creepy directing was great

Only OVAonlys think Jojo should be 2spook

It's because they don't want to. Generic, moe trash is enough to satisfy the group of people they target.

>OVAonlys
Those exist?

There's a good deal of tv productions with darker atmosphere, and even some outright horror, but it's very uncommon, given tv anime the equivalent of saturday morning cartoons up until 95-96.

I actually agree with you. As a viewer you easily feel the change in tone and atmosphere, depending on what was going on storywise. And I'm not one of the guys who praise this series as AOTYOAY.