Spirited Away placed #4 in BBC's 100 greatest movies of 21st century

>bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films
BBC just made a thing where they took 177 film critics and told em to pick the best movie starting from 2000. Miyazaki's Spirited Away took the 4th spot. Is ancient art of japanese moving pictures finally getting the respect it deserves among normies? Is it a good sign for animation in general? Should another animiu take the place instead?
Keep it Sup Forums related, I'm sure there's a thread on Sup Forums if you want to discuss rest of the list

>film critics

lol

>BCC
>normies
>Sup Forums
Kill yourself, crossboarder.

>bbc
>film critics

Some of them are internet wannabes, yeah
But it's *current year* already, kind of have to expect that I guess

As if some BBC tryhard "film critics" have anything to do with us or anyone else. It won't make anime any more popular but if it did that'd be fine.

You may get some "muh sekrit animu club" fags but honestly the more money the industry gets the more leeway creators get to make actually interesting shows instead of desperately catering to nitch markets who actually buy things.

>tl:dr
Fuck them
Fuck you
>>Sup Forums

Nobody said it's a bad thing
Couldn't care less about secret treehouse

>The Tree of Life
Why do people keep pretending this is nothing more than two hours of pure pretentiousness.

It doesn't mean anything, Spirited Away is there because it's the Ghibli film that got pushed the hardest when it was released in the West.

Not even the best Ghibli film

>5 Boyhood
Nice critics bbc

I just wish the western animation industry would actually try and compete with anime instead of making nothing but horribly-drawn "comedies" and cape comic tie-ins. I don't give a fuck about what normies think, but if it can encourage western animators to actually try and produce something with quality that'd be great.

You can't make the next Miyazaki who will fill up cinemas all across the world. That's why the industry sticks with less ambitious productions that are assured to work.

Didn't people hated Nickelodeon to death for trying to do that?

Inside Out is better than most anime desu

If you're referencing Avatar, copying anime aesthetically and having an asian-influenced setting isn't what I mean by competing with anime.

Hey, considering Kubo is gonna get smashed by Secret Life of Pets we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Spirit Away was the biggest Oscar bait Miyazaki created in his lifetime.
And how the fuck can you rate the 21st century when it's only 2016?

It is imo if we count only the ones from 2000 onward. I liked When Marnie Was There as well but the "shocking truth" you can spot from miles away kind of spolis the ending

This movie is better than all Nippon shit

*redditor

>It is imo if we count only the ones from 2000
Kaguya Hime was better than Spirited Away though.

It's also by no means indicative of your average western animated work.

Kubo is about the best you're gonna get, man. I watched it this past weekend and it was great, a neat rendition of the "hero's tale/journey."

The ending sequence/credits in particular is awesome. I doubt we'll get much like it for a while.

>19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
>29. WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
>33. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
>only anime movie is spirited away

hahaha what a joke

Lad

I don't want to see westerners attempt to represent Japanese settings, I want animation that feels as relevant to western culture as anime feels to Japanese culture. Granted our culture has degraded to a point where most of the shit on Cartoon Network and Disney Channel these days probably is indicative of our culture, but given classic Disney and our literary history the fact that we haven't embraced animation as a medium for different kinds of stories on the level that Japan has is just shameful. We need more animated dramas, romances, sci-fi, thrillers, etc. and way less kids' shows and vulgar "comedy" on network television with less animation than a kindergartner's first flipbook.

>Kaguya Hime
Aw shit I forgot it was Ghibli that made it
I still consider Spirited Away a great story and totally oscar worthy (still I can name better anime films), but I must admit Kaguya is a solid piece of work. The artstyle alone really brings it to life and above other animated movies
I'm in a pinch now

Wall-E is GOAT fuck you

t. Contrarian Faggot

fuck off Sup Forums

>Watership Down
There was a movie for that?

Anime produces as many quality works as that infographic every 5 years.

>normies

Fuck of back to /reddit9k/.

Was the scooby doo one good?
I dont remember.

hahahah no
>weebs thinking anime isn't trash

Name 10 good anime movies from last 5 years

I wonder who could be behind this post?

There's anime in there
So fuck you buddy

Name 5 good anime movies from the last 10 years.

Stuff like Utena and Penguindrum are proof of how an animated work can have as much depth and meaning as a literary work. It's too bad the west doesn't take cues from anime because there's a lot of wasted talent working on shallow comedies like Gumball and shit.

I'd love to see more serious cartoons and "Avatar" doesn't really cut it. I never liked that as it was more like third-rate anime/shonen than an original work.

I'm not talking about movies, I'm talking about western animation as a whole. The fact that the only western animation that can compete with anime is in film format just further proves my point that we're way worse at it.

The wind rises

The Case of Hana & Alice
Miss Hokusai
Anthem of the Heart
When Marnie Was There
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
A Letter to Momo
Giovanni's Island
The Wind Rises
The Garden of Words
From Up On Poppy Hill

Literally 99% of anime is pedo garbage

Not him.
Miss Hokusai, Hana to Alice, Giovanni's Island, Omoide no Marnie, Kaguya, Wind Rises, Yoyo to Nene, You Are Umasou, Letter to Momo, Rainbow Fireflies.

What the fuck man.

I went to go see Kubo and took all my friends with me.

An exaggeration, but even if most anime is trash, there's about 50x more anime every year than cartoons, so while there may only be a few good anime every year it still outnumbers good cartoons by a wide margin.

Whisper of the Heart was the best ghiblikino

I don't mind dumb show like Gumball and whatever. But I'm really tired of "adult cartoons" the Family Guy and Anerican Dad types- it's all the same shit, whit repetetive 'offensive humor'. South Park is the only one I tolerate because it does say something smart and the crude jokes are simply the tool, all though a lot of people miss the point entirely

Half of this list is garbage tbqh

>kino
fuck off Sup Forums

>tbqh

I was going to agree with you but
>ghiblikino
Fuck off.

Triggered?

>Giving a shit about some shit tier "critic"
>bbc
>normie
>Sup Forums
Why is that fucking newfags can't lurk for shit? If you can't lurk then kill your shitty self.

All 7/10 at worst. A couple of the Ghiblis are a bit weak compared to their previous but they're still good movies.

Even if that was true I'd still take that over the furshit that western animation pushes out in a similar proportion. Heck that list of "great" western animated films has many furshit movies in there.

>tfw Kubo is going to be overshadowed and forgotten just like similar classics like Corraline and Para-Norman

>heck
Kys my lad

Kaguya and Wind Rises were better than Spirited Away.

Holy fuck this thread is awful.
Sup Forums leaking always ends up like this.

Mods, do your job.

Why are Sup Forumsnons so triggered by Sup Forums?

Don't cut yourself with that edge you 12 year old nigger.

Because your underage posting style sticks out like a sore thumb, and you do not even try to act like you've ever lurked.

Come back in two years.

Sup Forums is a shit board. at least they got over their summer glau phase a couple years back, that shit was a record low.

The meme is that Sup Forums hates all other boards. These people are just trying to fit in.

t.mad rebbitor

Kill yourself.
I'm serious.

That's racist

FMA: The sacred star of Milos
K-On! movie
Berserk (any of them)
Evangelion 3.0
Anohana
A Certain Magical Index: the movie
Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods
HxH Phantom Rouge
The Idolm@ster Movie
Boruto: Naruto the Movie

There are better 21st century anime movies and Spirited Away is a very "Western" pick, but it's still cool to see it on the list.
>no Love Exposure
Kill yourselves, critics.

>muh newfag boogeyman
Christ just fuck off already. Accusing everyone makes your argument no stronger

What did he mean by this?

Fuck off, crossboarders are despised for a good reason, this thread being a shining example of that.

Stop trying to convince yourself that everyone else is "trying to fit in" just because you're not welcome here.

K-On movie was good, fuck your bait.

>Wind Rises
Worst Miyzaki film of all time. Seriously how could you like that trash?
Porco Rosso is his infinitely better airplane film.

But the thread is about an anime film on the list
Why is it so hard to understand

But The Wind Rises is a better engineering film.

just fuck off

Nolan remade it and made it better.

I refuse

>everyone
There's a big difference between everyone, and a Sup Forums crossboarder using words like 'triggered' and 'kino'.

There's also a difference between being a newfag, and simply refusing to lurk in order to learn proper board culture before shitting all over the place.

It's garbage, and Anno's voice acting is the most cringey shit I've ever heard.
That movie goes absolutely nowhere interesting.

It's his best film. I don't blame you though, it's also his most intelligent and challenging work to date so not everyone gets it on their first watch.

>33. The Dark Knight
>83. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
>93. Ratatouille
>WALL-E as the highest rated Pixar film and Up is not even listed
>Inglourious Basterds as the only Quentin film

It's much better than Porco Rosso and is Miyazaki's most personal film to date. It's a great exploration of the all engulfing nature of pursuing your dreams and probably the realest Miyazaki had ever gone.
>Which would you choose: a world with pyramids or a world without?

>It's his best film
>The Wind Rises
Please be joking.

Muhhh secret clubbb
Jesus Christ neck yourself

what a bunch of weebs

Sup Forums has better judgement.

>I will never be 8 years old and watch this movie for the first time again.
Kill me.

Ratatouille is best animated food kino

You first, Sup Forums.
Just know that you'll be called out daily on this board for being a humongous faggot.

Pretend to be 18, it will help you in the long run.

No baitin son
We have enough shiposting in here already

Ok man that's your opinion

>It's much better than Porco Rosso
Shut the fuck up, you don't even know what you're talking about.

>2002
>8 years old
Sup Forums, is that you?

Inside Out is the most overrated animated film since Finding Nemo.