No, but seriously can someone explain what I just watched?

No, but seriously can someone explain what I just watched?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9vIqMvN31Ys
youtube.com/watch?v=r92vMn_lSUM
youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPLxbuc8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ISY_2zcQTys
youtube.com/watch?v=qfklGPHLoF0
youtube.com/watch?v=fRGhfGFXME0
youtube.com/watch?v=GsrQskD_oes
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, you need to watch it a few more times until you get it.

re-watch it and figure it out yourself.

13 episodes of bear pajama propaganda

I FEEL YOU SO CLOSE TO ME

A masterpiece

youtube.com/watch?v=9vIqMvN31Ys

trash
Ignore what is likely samefagging

And here come the pretentious lainfags, so enlightened to the series they do nothing to incite dialogue about the show, choosing only to spam the le 2deep4u meme. Sasuga

Is this from the anime OST? I don't remember it at all.

>le
Back to you go, thick shit.

>never say what's happening
>pass it off as being artsy and "for interpretation"
seriously what was the point of the aliens

Serial Experimental Lain
Can you at least read the title, OP?

I don't remember, seen it a long time ago.
Thinking of a work of art as a logical puzzle you have to decipher is pretty stupid though.
You can sort of pick some arguments about how identities along the show
And that's what makes it great, its subtlety and elegance. That's depth, that's what good books and movies have.

It's not like madoka or gurren lagann that are so one sided with their messages and whose every metaphor is so fucking literal that the whole thing just comes off as some trite big metaphorical "art"work like pic related.

*You can sort of pick some arguments about how identities are becoming partly diigital.

I don't really remember specifics so I can't really put it any better but there are thousands of people who have made really good point about the show, feel free to google them

Pic related is another trite illustration by this enormous, tasteless idiot so that you remember how wrong it is to ask what you are asking from art.

There is depth to that though.

They guy looks down. Niantic looks ahead. We labor under the premise of fun when it's just soulless grinding while they get to do interesting research.

Gurren had more going on than Lain.

Yes, its from one of the last episodes

youtube.com/watch?v=r92vMn_lSUM

>seriously what was the point of the aliens
There is no point, it was all in her head.

wow that's almost as deep as the ending of super mario bros 2

>Gurren had more going on than Lain.

When somebody says that gurren lagann has any depth they should be more self conscious and notice they sound as cringeworthy as the best guy ever or whatever he was called.

Also that polish guy is a fucking hack, getting onto the hottest wave so that some shit site like buzzfeed shares his work and old people share it on facebook.

Also OP is obviously baiting.

I can't believe how defensive some of you otakus can get when somebody tries to add some depth or aesthetic to the medium.

You're so fucking insecure and pathetic.

i haven't seen it in awhile but my understanding was that advancement in technology moved the digital space into an indistinguishable augmented reality, which gave lain, the superior ai or whatever she was, the equivalent of omniscience and omnipresence.

>I can't believe how defensive some of you otakus can get when somebody tries to add some depth or aesthetic to the medium.
>Defensive
I didn't know asking for clarification and opinions on a shared subject matter was being defensive now.

Are Coalgirls subs good ones to use?
If not which one should I use?

But gurrenn lagann was fucking awesome and simon became the new hogake dude

SIMPLY EPIC.

You were obviously baiting. You understood Lain, you're just pretending every work of art should be a big metaphor because you have the aesthetic sensibility of arnold schwarzenegger.

I used coalgirls and I thought it was A+. Now go watch best anime

>You understood Lain
Apparently not, because whenever I share my opinion on what I believe the show was I always get shot down and told to watch it again.

youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPLxbuc8Q

If you wanted to know more about lain you could have looked for one of the thousands of analyisis about lain.

Instead you're shitposting.

girl becomes god through the internet because through many years of development and experimentation the internet was tuned to Earth's vibrations

You do know that game wasn't even supposed to be a Mario game, right?
They took a game they already had coming out and just changed the sprites for Western sales after how popular the first was, and they wanted an immediate follow up.
That's why the game play was so much different.

I just finished it today. I thought it was good. Interesting to say the least. I think the message it conveyed is outdated though. Maybe in the late 90s/early 2000s the idea of the internet being everywhere was kinda scary to people just discovering it. Now though, the warnings given by the show are very real, and people are embracing the "Internet of Things" openly and without hesitation. SEL is really an interesting look back in time, but I don't think it's very relevant anymore.

Side note, spoilers but not sure if they actually relate to the anime/manga.
There's some .gif I've seen with Lain shooting herself. I don't remember that part happening in the anime, and I just watched Episode 13 today. Is there an OVA or something? Where is that scene from?

>There's some .gif I've seen with Lain shooting herself
It's from the playstation game.

Ay

What do people mean when they say they don't get it? The story itself is not really that hard to follow, I got it on the first watch.

I don't think lain is really a one sided argument against the internet being everywhere, I think it just problematizes this and thus it is still very relevant. It makes really interesting points. Most people don't realize that our identity is also in part digital nowadays for example and THAT is one of the points lain makes.

That's what makes it a well rounded work and not just another trite and preachy metaphor.
Also the whole sci fi aspect of the show is pretty damn cool and it has really nice atmosphere and visuals at times.

There's an in depth video of someone making sense of this, it lasts around 20 minutes but it's really fucking good. it's in spanish though

Could I have that link?

I'm sorry, I wanted this link.

youtube.com/watch?v=ISY_2zcQTys

Literally Google "lain shoots herself" or something, jesus christ.

Really good shit. I'd like to make a brief summary, but it's way too much info.
youtube.com/watch?v=qfklGPHLoF0

lemme find it for ya...
The anime is better understood if you consider the game as a prequel. What happens in the game? Pasta from wiki because I'm lazy:
>Lain (11) begins to visit Touko (27) because of hallucinations.
>Touko teaches Lain about psychopathology.
>Lain enters junior high, gaining a friend named Misato and an interest in computers and networks.
>Lain's father disappears under mysterious circumstances, and she programs an AI into a robotic replacement of him.
>After 3 years of counseling, Touko thinks Lain has no more problems.
>Touko begins to diagnose Lain again after finding out that Misato does not actually exist.
>Lain programs her father into the Wired and destroys its robotic body, subsequently beginning to program her own personality into the Wired.
>Touko experiences frustration over her lack of mobility at work. Her boss kills himself.
>Touko experiences relationship difficulties, getting dumped by two men in succession.
>Touko becomes emotionally unstable and Lain begins to diagnose her.
>Lain meets her Wired entity and kills her physical self.
>Lain appears before Touko and kills her, absorbing her personality into the wired.

End of game video containing all kinds of spoilers:
youtube.com/watch?v=fRGhfGFXME0

>cringeworthy
Why so smug?
Let people appreciate whatever they want. You should be happy that others find material that resonates with them in a way that it cannot with you. It means that there are people out there who can still surprise you. It raises your chances of discovering something new that you hadn't even considered before.

some people probably have trouble following the storytelling/style mirroring lain's cognition changes

>Most people don't realize that our identity is also in part digital
People are really only just starting to realize that they are just as much digital as physical. Think about all the latest smartphones that come out, the first thing they do upon starting up is have you log into Facebook and Twitter and whatever to load all your friends and contacts.

Employers are increasingly scouring social media to see what kind of person you really are. People are only recently realizing this and learning to sanitize or watch what they say on social media. People have been fired for dumb posts they make online under their real name.

I don't know much about 2ch, but was it around when SEL was created? Social media wasn't really a thing, but internet message boards were pretty popular even back then. You're definitely right in that SEL explores ideas that were only in their infancy back then. If you told all the BBS users that one day they'd have all their personal photos, home address, telephone number, and friends up on the internet for the world to see, I bet most would call you crazy. But nowadays that's essentially the norm for most people. Those "Throw back thursday" or whatever trends with people uploading old baby photos for every on social media are pretty popular, but in one respect it's pretty weird to have your whole life on the internet. There are kids born who have had a Facebook account since the moment they were born, created by their parents.

I think there were two main messages in SEL. One being how much of you exists on the net, and one being how you connect to the net. We're much closer to everyone in the world being online than we were back in 1996, so I think it's interesting to see how humanity has evolved alongside the internet. For the most part, people seem generally fine with sharing everything. We get annoyed about hackers or whatever, but it really hasn't changed how we use the internet for the most part.

I kind of agree with you, I shouldn't be so bitter about it.

But somehow ttgl and all these "pure fun" shows are perfect fuel for all these "2deep4u" spouting drones so I have a tough time with those shows.

I'm still pretty tired of how enormously overrated ttgl is though, and this video didn't help.

a cute girl doing experimental things

I honestly don't remember plot but it's probably essentially Lain is a normal girl who unrealistically and conveniently becomes a metaphor for the internet with a whole bunch of other metaphors placed into the psychedelic world they created to represent the web. the show's web world only conveniently ties into the show's real world, it's not supposed to make sense; the show is just representatives done in an artistic way

I think lain explores these themes and relationships (of power, friendship, you name it) on the net in a much more honest way than the way a regular person thinks about it.

What I'm saying is people still try to naively bring what they think their identity is from the real world to social media verbatim and deny the fact that we're completely different subjects on the net.

Even if we share our photos and favourite songs the way we construct ourselves in a social network is completely different as how we were constructed "in real life".

People don't really ponder about what they are on the internet.

You sound like you think these topics are closed merely because everyone has access to a smartphone nowadays but I think we're just starting to debate this stuff and I think Lain did this 20 years before what is quite a feat.

>What I'm saying is people still try to naively bring what they think their identity is from the real world to social media verbatim and deny the fact that we're completely different subjects on the net.
I think there are really two classes of people online these days. One class, mostly younger kids and older (middle age+) adults who really do treat the internet as a simple extension of themselves. They don't have a lot of experience online and use it simply for the social aspects. For them, there is no reason to be someone different online, since they don't see the internet as anything but a novelty. They're the ones who upload tons of personal info and use their real names online.

The other class of users has used the internet for much longer. They realize just how deep and permanent things on the internet are. They can use it for typical socialization, but they see the potential to use the internet in different ways. They create personas, are wary about identifying information, and are generally more adept at figuring things out online.

I think the major distinction between these two classes is time spent online. Younger kids and older adults just haven't had the time to figure out how the internet really is. They were either too old when it really started taking off, or not born yet. The other class, the more advanced users, have been on the internet for much longer.

>Even if we share our photos and favourite songs the way we construct ourselves in a social network is completely different as how we were constructed "in real life".
True. I think both classes of people tend to construct "idealized" versions of themselves, but that's not necessarily something uncommon or new. We always want to present the best "version" of ourselves. I think less advanced users tend to be less aware of this, simply because they share so much more. I think more advanced users are less prone to share things which may damage their reputation.

>trolling this hard

SEL is the deepest anime. Prove me wrong?

Well you see user, my biases tell me that my arbitrary metric is inherently superior to your arbitrary metric.

The thing is both of those kinds of people are the way you say they are without knowing the reasons behind why they are like they are. We ourselves are just conjeturing.
Lain ponders on these topics in a much more insightful way than most people do, even for todays standards.

Lain
is
love

Lain
is
life

What does "deep" mean? And how does one measure "depth"?

anyone?

Pushy people aren't really liked
They can end up getting emails with dead infants in them and stuff

I don't know OP, but Lain a cute.

Stop arguing about deepness and post more lain

And you don’t seem to understand

A shame you seemed an honest man

Was it Schizoid Personality Disorder?

Probably, she seemed to fit the description.

I don't think things like that are really expressed in SEL, I think Lain was closer to the idea of seperate entities, the real life you and your internet you, where the internet you is an idealized showoff that actually doesn't correlate to who you actually are, thus wired Lain and physical Lain are different, while still being the same exact person.

Also nowadays you can try to make a distinction of 3 kinds of internet personalities on the internet as relation of your actual being. One is extension of yourself TIED to your actual being, this is the casual social media profiles. Then there are identities that create personalities, but are still untied to your actual self, something like forum profile, game profiles. And the last one are just profiles that are devout of any personalities/personal connection, like browsing anonymously or just making dummy accounts.

>the last one are just profiles that are devout of any personalities/personal connection
>devout
Not true. These profiles are the most authentic of all, because they allow you to truly express yourself without the fear of social stigma and repercussion. The "real you" is much closer to the anonymous you than to any other kind of manifestation of yourself.

That isn't the point, it's about being disconnected from your self, being impossible to tie to your self/identify, you aren't making any personality of your own, you are just a bystander.

When you are posting anonymously, you cannot be identified over the course of time unless you're going out of your way to be identifyable, thus nothing carries over.

That's different from making some forum/redit posts/youtube videos, where you're trying to gather credit over time and create a personality of your own that isn't necessarily you, nor is tied to your earthly being..

It sure can allow you to express yourself clearly, but that's not what the categorization is about.

An AI can't have a personality disorder

>he's conceited enough to call God an AI
Let's love Lain without you

I disagree, to me it seems like it's even more relevant than when it came out in the 90's. So much of people's lives are on the net now.

>ctrl+F
>you don't seem to understand
>0 results

Get it together Sup Forums.

see

>ctrl+f
>no PRESENT DAY
Damn Sup Forums isn't what it used to be it seems

Sheeeeit hadn't even seen before posting

A shame, you seemed an honest man.

Love Lain.

I don't even understand the title. WHAT experiments?

It was a really ambitious project and anime won't ever see something like this ever again, and keep in mind, only movies try to do this kind of thing.

The purpose of the serie was to create a debate between western and Occident culture and the incoming age of technology, hence why it's a series of experiments and the set-up is as bare-bones as the story needs it to be, hence why the symbolism isn't purely japanese and etc etc.

It's a great work but really, you gotta give it time and dedicate some thought into it, also it helps if you aren't an uncultured pig and know a couple of things about humanity.

>outdated though. Maybe in the late 90s/early 2000s the idea of the internet being everywhere was kinda scary to people just discovering it
On the contrary, I think Lain is more damn scary in that aspect today than a few years ago. A few years ago it could be seen as mostly science fiction that would probably not happen and was only a possibility, but today it is real. Lain's wired is today's modern internet, it is eerie when you realize to what point Lain predicted the evolution of social media and its consequences.
Lain can be better understand now that we can see a similar world than in the past when it had not happen.

You don't seem to understand...

Thank you.

It's just the first movie of ghost in the shell but stretched out to 4 hours

It's a metaphor for dissociative personality disorder

Serial ones.

And all the fears you hold so dear

Maybe you should stop pretending that you don't understand and just make it a lain thread you retarded shit

You watched an anime about an autistic girl who likes computers.
Stop trying to project deeper meaning.

Did all the episodes have an opening? I watched it online and only episode 13 had an opening. It seemed weird to me though, like it didn't really fit for the show.

It is a cut scene from the PS1 game.

>Not knowing one of the most spoken languages

Texhnolyze

Yes.

The soundtrack has no right to be as good as it is
youtube.com/watch?v=GsrQskD_oes

>seriously what was the point of the aliens
To be a red herring and represent people's fear, distrust and rumors.

Especially the "Bootleg" one with more than 40 tracks worth of ambient pieces.

keitai shoujo

? What's that

Let's all love Lain.